Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Christianity is like a cancer in this country. I'm all for religious freedom but when it gets tangled up in the decision making process that will affect the lives of all Americans, it gets my hackles up.
But here you are supporting another belief system that something very similar could be said about?

What's the difference? Apart from one you favour and one you do not.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:18 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
But here you are supporting another belief system that something very similar could be said about?
Secular humanism? It's non-exclusionary, all-inclusive. It doesn't care what religion you have, as long as you don't use it to interfere with my life.

What's the difference? Apart from one you favour and one you do not.
One main difference is I keep my nose out of what you get up to in your own private life.

I don't support any non-evidence based way of life getting into positions of power. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, ****ing paganism - it makes no difference to me, they should all be kept in the home and out of real life.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Unless you are a hermit there is absolutely no way other people do not interfere in your life.

Some people find some things acceptable and others have different views.

Tends to cause strife obviously. This whole thread is effectively about the choice of someone who will interfere in your life.

The only obvious person most people would choose is themselves.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:31 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are a hermit there is absolutely no way other people do not interfere in your life.
Well if we can make as many of those people possible not adults who believe in made up things, then that'll be a success.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:35 am
Account Closed

Well if we can make as many of those people possible not adults who believe in made up things, then that'll be a success.
I may well agree with your definition of made up things, I have a feeling our major difference is that I include more that falls into the usual description of politics.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:39 am
I have a comma problem

I may well agree with your definition of made up things, I have a feeling our major difference is that I include more that falls into the usual description of politics.
Are you going to elaborate or are we playing clickbait discussion again?

All I want is for people in power to put their religion second and the needs of the population first. The two don't always line up and that's where it becomes wrong.

Furthermore, if religious institutions want to be that involved in the political process, then they should pay taxes. Can't have it both ways.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:48 am
Account Closed

I have a lot of dealings with 501 (C) 3's and agree the tax aspect is weird, but then so much more falls into that category. Some people I know just set up another one.

Politics and Religion, well there is a massive overlap, consider myself agnostic but if you are not I do not see how you separate them.

We all have beliefs however they may be categorised, and my beliefs are not going to be the same as anybody else. Might overlap in significant areas with others.

Politics/Religions whatever strike me as being groups of people who share many of those beliefs, the larger the group the more widespread those beliefs will be.

Some people find their beliefs form part of there being more so than others, you can be devout to a political or religious system, often they are combined.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:56 am
I have a comma problem

I have a lot of dealings with 501 (C) 3's and agree the tax aspect is weird, but then so much more falls into that category. Some people I know just set up another one.

Politics and Religion, well there is a massive overlap, consider myself agnostic but if you are not I do not see how you separate them.

We all have beliefs however they may be categorised, and my beliefs are not going to be the same as anybody else. Might overlap in significant areas with others.

Politics/Religions whatever strike me as being groups of people who share many of those beliefs, the larger the group the more widespread those beliefs will be.

Some people find their beliefs form part of there being more so than others, you can be devout to a political or religious system, often they are combined.
In the same way that an agnostic politician isn't going to ban people going to church, the christian politician shouldn't ban women from having abortions. Neither should the atheist politician ban religion outright. The two can be separated if you consider that there are people who exist other than yourself.

Anyway, Trump's most likely an atheist so it doesn't really matter from the perspective of this election. I do just tire of hearing people wax lyrical about 'religious liberty' when they themselves are busy denying entire demographics the freedom of choice for a whole variety of issues. It's especially absurd when they're doing it based on the words of something that doesn't even exist.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

In the same way that an agnostic politician isn't going to ban people going to church, the christian politician shouldn't ban women from having abortions. Neither should the atheist politician ban religion outright. The two can be separated if you consider that there are people who exist other than yourself.

Anyway, Trump's most likely an atheist so it doesn't really matter from the perspective of this election. I do just tire of hearing people wax lyrical about 'religious liberty' when they themselves are busy denying entire demographics the freedom of choice for a whole variety of issues. It's especially absurd when they're doing it based on the words of something that doesn't even exist.
As Thomas Jefferson said..."The world would be a better place if there were no religion in it."
Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:03 am
Account Closed

How is it that different to those protesting last night? They have a certain world view and I am sure they would describe it as liberal but highly doubt that it meets the dictionary definition.

The Abortion thingy is complicated, can see it many ways, Right for Life and Right to Choose I can both agree to. Quite what these phrases mean is not to me an absolute. Presupposes there is a clear and rational answer, often there is not.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

On another note:Russia: We Did Work With Team Trump During Campaign - The Daily Beast
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dakota44
As Thomas Jefferson said..."The world would be a better place if there were no religion in it."
People just call their belief systems by a different term, all comes back to being the same.

If for example you are a hard core Bernie Bros is that not a sort of a religion?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
It is weird the pandering Trump did but I don't think evangelicals fooled but just were opposed to Clinton.

I do know a few Catholics who were thinking of voting for Clinton, but after Podesta's comments about Catholics decided to vote for Trump.
Trump needed evangelical votes so he pandered to them by becoming anti-abortion. I very much doubt he particularly cares about abortion one way or the other, but to be a Republican nominee he had to take that position. Remember that comment about ripping babies from the womb in the last debate? That was simply red meat for the evangelicals.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:06 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
True words.

The Abortion thingy is complicated
Abortion is not complicated in the slightest. It is only made that way by people trying to force their viewpoint on others.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Trump needed evangelical votes so he pandered to them by becoming anti-abortion. I very much doubt he particularly cares about abortion one way or the other, but to be a Republican nominee he had to take that position.
And vice versa.

The ideal Politician I guess has no beliefs and therefore can not offend any potential supporter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.