Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 5th 2016, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2016 Election

It took me a long time to write this. I had to dig deep into my being to come up with these words. I’m recanting my endorsement of Hillary Clinton for the presidency.

I’m aware of how vindictive Clintonians can be. I’m not speaking about the Clintons themselves, but of those surrounding them. Perhaps the saying is true: dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres. Your staff, your donors, your surrogates, and those you surround yourself with are a reflection of who you truly are, no? If not, why not curb any unacceptable behavior? Silence, indifference, or inaction is as incriminatory-at least to me.

Why I Can No Longer Support Hillary Clinton | Huffington Post

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 5th 2016 at 5:25 pm. Reason: Sort quote
Old Nov 5th 2016, 2:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Not true. Point I'm making is that Hillary and the Dems don't seem to see anything wrong with thousands of illegals living and working here. Hasn't been a mention about them the whole time in their campaign yet when they found out about Melania then the uproar began. Hypocritical comes to mind
Isn't the hypocrisy that Trump turns a blind eye to his wife's transgressions, but not to those of impoverished people who are just trying to survive?
Old Nov 5th 2016, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It took me a long time to write this. I had to dig deep into my being to come up with these words. I’m recanting my endorsement of Hillary Clinton for the presidency.

I’m aware of how vindictive Clintonians can be. I’m not speaking about the Clintons themselves, but of those surrounding them. Perhaps the saying is true: dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres. Your staff, your donors, your surrogates, and those you surround yourself with are a reflection of who you truly are, no? If not, why not curb any unacceptable behavior? Silence, indifference, or inaction is as incriminatory-at least to me.

Blah blah blah

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 5th 2016 at 5:27 pm. Reason: sort quote thing
Old Nov 5th 2016, 5:12 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

So put quite simply the other choice is a buffoon with little or no knowledge of world affairs, a formidable ego, a short attention span, used to getting his way and his finger on the nuclear trigger : Great alternative

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 5th 2016 at 5:26 pm. Reason: sort quote
Old Nov 5th 2016, 5:17 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Isn't the hypocrisy that Trump turns a blind eye to his wife's transgressions, but not to those of impoverished people who are just trying to survive?
Trump's the bigger hypocrite of the two. No argument there but the US doesn't exist to solve the problems of a hugely corrupt. mismanaged country like Mexico
Old Nov 5th 2016, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned the grandfather in law a couple of times up thread. Anyway, in one of my back and forth email exchanges trying to convince him that Trump is a shitstain he revealed that he decided to only vote the local ticket.

Meanwhile the father in law has been sitting in his new snow bird house here in AZ. Don't think he is with it enough to arrange a postal vote and is probably grateful that he doesn't have to decide.

One wonders how many Republicans are thinking similarly.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Since you didn't say who you were quoting, I had to waste some time visiting the HuffPo site. It's a nobody. But I did see that he said this also: "I’m not telling you not to vote for her. I’m aware of what is at stake. The Supreme Court and a petulant man-child that might quicken the apocalypse, I know. I’m telling you that I’m no longer endorsing her. Vote with your conscience. Vote strategically. Or don’t. It’s your prerogative."

Honestly, was that worth bringing to our attention ... ?
Old Nov 5th 2016, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

So, fellow posters, what do y'all think is going to happen in the election - regardless of your personal preferences? We have only a few days to go (!!! at last !!!). It seems rather pointless to be posting what we personally think the virtues and drawbacks are of either candidate at this point, but there's still mileage in the analysis / prediction process. I sure hope Leslie doesn't lose her internet access over the next few days as she knows the process better than anyone.

I'm not seeing any devastating blows to Clinton, nor am I seeing any new revelations about Trump (though we have a couple of days ...). The 538 site has shown a significant drop in Clinton's lead, but she's still ahead 64/36%. They are showing Nevada, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Iowa and Ohio all voting Republican at this point, but Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Colorado are all still Democrat.

As of now, Hilary is showing 291 Electoral Votes to Trump's 246, and the popular vote breakdown is 48/45.

I'm reading that Hillary's ground game is going to be the key now; she's enlisting the heavy hitters to get out the vote.

On a less encouraging note, 538 is showing the Dem's chances of getting control of the senate at only 50.2% (down from 68% on Nov 2). Nevada and New Hampshire are hanging by a thread on the Dem side; without those, the Senate stays R.

ETA - just saw this article - looks like HuffPo has Hillary a near certainty (98%) and is criticising Nate Silver's 538 approach. Interesting.

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 5th 2016 at 7:12 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:27 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So, fellow posters, what do y'all think is going to happen in the election
I will tell you exactly what will happen. The population will get the president they deserve.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:56 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Not true. Point I'm making is that Hillary and the Dems don't seem to see anything wrong with thousands of illegals living and working here. Hasn't been a mention about them the whole time in their campaign yet when they found out about Melania then the uproar began. Hypocritical comes to mind
That's a pretty lousy point, given the topic.

The Republican candidate who is running on a platform of immigrant bashing and tighter border controls is married to a woman who violated US immigration law. Your response is to get upset with the Democrats. Did the Democrats force Donald Trump to be a hypocrite or to marry someone who broke US immigration laws?

You have a lot of ideas swirling around in your head, but they are contradictory. Either you have an issue with immigration or you don't. It seems that you don't dislike immigration per se, but that you dislike immigrants who don't look like you.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:02 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

So, fellow posters, what do y'all think is going to happen in the election - regardless of your personal preferences? We have only a few days to go (!!! at last !!!).
Trump's path to 270 is next to impossible. He would have to win every single swing state in order to win the election, and that ain't gonna happen.

On the other hand, the popular vote will be close and it would seem that he may win more electoral votes than either Romney or McCain, which will encourage the GOP whackjob base to continue its efforts to dethrone the establishment. So you may end up with another cartoon character as the GOP nominee in 2020.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:51 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see Melania working without a visa while doing a little modeling is worth even mentioning.
While I was waiting for my green card I had a part time job. The day I received it the INS official asked me if I was employed. I answered yes and he was quite happy that I did have a job instead of becoming an instant liability on the welfare system

Trump's the bigger hypocrite of the two. No argument there but the US doesn't exist to solve the problems of a hugely corrupt. mismanaged country like Mexico
Wow. You completely mischaracterized the entire situation.

The Democrats and (until the last few election cycles) Republicans have understood the need for immigration reform because the "thousands of illegals" you refer to had no possible way of qualifying for legal status much less citizenship. These are people who needed work and employers wanted them in their workforce. These employers wanted them so bad that even they were willing to break the law.

Melania Trump, much like most of the people on this forum, had legal ways to qualify. Well paid people with influential employers have always had legal pathways --- obviously this is the case with Mrs. Trump because she was able to adjust without being deported or jailed.

The point is not that anybody here is mad at Mrs. Trump but rather disgusted with Mr. Trump's lies and smear campaign against Mexican immigrants. All this while his wife flauts immigration laws. He also hired illegal Polish labor himself and then lied about it.

Also the term "illegals" is a pejorative. You probably know that, I just wanted to let you know that everybody else knows it too.

It sounds like you were an "illegal" for a while yourself. I'm glad you had the means, access, and ability to fix the potential future problems that could have been brought on by your choices. I'm glad that you didn't have to be deported or go to jail for what was obviously a well-intentioned mistake on your part. I mean, surely you had no idea that you weren't supposed to be working right? You would never have intentionally broken the law, right? Or perhaps you did have legal authority to work (while "waiting for your green card") as do most European immigrants ... so actually that story about you and the INS agent has absolutely nothing to do with what we are discussing.

Last edited by Leslie; Nov 6th 2016 at 3:17 am.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:56 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Since you didn't say who you were quoting, I had to waste some time visiting the HuffPo site. It's a nobody. But I did see that he said this also: "I’m not telling you not to vote for her. I’m aware of what is at stake. The Supreme Court and a petulant man-child that might quicken the apocalypse, I know. I’m telling you that I’m no longer endorsing her. Vote with your conscience. Vote strategically. Or don’t. It’s your prerogative."

Honestly, was that worth bringing to our attention ... ?
This. Don't fall for it. Either he doesn't read the articles himself or he's counting on us not reading them.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie
This. Don't fall for it. Either he doesn't read the articles himself or he's counting on us not reading them.
Or had his post edited.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:10 am
WTF?

Or had his post edited.
It wasn't even a real post. It was a link. And it wasn't edited. I just checked. Thanks for wasting more of my time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.