2016 Election

Old Nov 7th 2016, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by dc koop
I'm not for open borders. Take a look at what's happened in Europe. There should be a program based on supply on demand and it should be enforced, So many farm laborers needed, domestic, housekeeping etc. The children of illegals become a liability on the State in that they must receive an education, medical attention, hospitalization and so on. We pay for it all since financially they're not able to

If a labourer wants to take the short cut to getting in here then he/she should be obliged to sign an agreement that any dependents must remain in Mexico. Many women who are expecting come in illegally so that their kids can be born here. It's not just people from Mexico. The visiting Chinese are into getting their kids born here big time.

I dont believe the Dems give a monkeys about caring for these kids. The burden fall on the individual States and Counties and of course taxpayers. The Dems see them as future voters for the party, the GOP see them as cheap labour which can be used to undermine labour unions and decent living wages.
Originally Posted by morpeth
It is so hard to understand the logic of the various arguments for or against the border situation.

1.If you say they deserve to be here, then why not bring in 10 or 20 or 30 million more ?

2.Of do they only deserve to be here if they suffered crossing the border ?

( I only ask from a policy perspective as I find the logic expressed in your post beyond my understanding. On a personal level I help a quite a few local illegals doing translation for them, most are hard-working decent people, but at least around here, they do drive down wages.)
I'm all for reform, and I'm not in favor of open borders. We need a system that acknowledges the need and value of seasonal farm workers, for example. We also need a solution that acknowledges that the 10+ million that are here today aren't going anywhere. If building a physical wall is needed as part of this, then build it.

But that doesn't change the current situation; in the absence a functioning system, poor, hard working Mexicans risk their lives to come here and I don't hold that against them, and don't think there's any equivalency to the fact that I came here legally. I respect them for the risk they have taken in order to provide for their family.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I am sure it only matters to him because Virginia is a swing state. I could only find 10 states that do not restore voting rights after completion of parol or probation. THey are the backward ones on this matter.
"Gordon Barlow" claims to be interested in human rights. If that actually were the case, then his outrage should be directed at those states that don't restore voting rights to felons whose sentences are complete. Those individuals have paid their debt to society and it's outrageous that they are disenfranchised for life. Of course, given "Gordon Barlow's" agenda, he will remain silent on that.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 1:51 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm all for reform, and I'm not in favor of open borders. We need a system that acknowledges the need and value of seasonal farm workers, for example. We also need a solution that acknowledges that the 10+ million that are here today aren't going anywhere. If building a physical wall is needed as part of this, then build it.

But that doesn't change the current situation; in the absence a functioning system, poor, hard working Mexicans risk their lives to come here and I don't hold that against them, and don't think there's any equivalency to the fact that I came here legally. I respect them for the risk they have taken in order to provide for their family.
There has been a Bracero program in existence for several years which allowed farm workers from Mexico to come and work on farms in the border States and return to Mexico at the end of the season but this is not the issue with illegal immigration where women cross the border either pregnant or becoming pregnant after arrival so that their kids can automatically become US citizens with all the entitlements of a US citizen. Perhaps the laws of US citizenship need to be changed to stop this abuse. A start would be that the parents of any child born in the US who are not citizens of the US but here as permanent legal residents could claim US citizenship for their kids but those who are here illegally unable to do the same and the child is a citizen of the country of the parents and unable to claim or become eligible for US citizenship.

There has been long standing abuse of the rights to claim US citizenship or become permanent residents. The marriage racket was or is one of them

Last edited by dc koop; Nov 7th 2016 at 1:56 am.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 2:17 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Unfortunately this type of website seems to have low editorial standards.
If The Daily Caller now has low editorial standards, then it has improved immensely.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"Gordon Barlow" claims to be interested in human rights. If that actually were the case, then his outrage should be directed at those states that don't restore voting rights to felons whose sentences are complete. Those individuals have paid their debt to society and it's outrageous that they are disenfranchised for life. Of course, given "Gordon Barlow's" agenda, he will remain silent on that.
Voting rights for felons is the least of it. Saw a statistic earlier the average vote time for a white voter is about 12 minutes and 22 minutes if you're black.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the illegal that comes here for a better life for his and family can be criticized for that. And yes some rational process needed to be set up for those here.

The border of course should be controller instead of the current situation which, Obama, and Bush and Bush senior, and Clinton and now another Clinton, didn't or don't seem to grasp. That is one of reasons so many are fed up.

The other issue though, is whether this level of immigration is good or not for the country. Imported lower skilled and lower educated workers doesn't exactly help real wages for lower or no income people already here.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 2:45 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
There has been a Bracero program in existence for several years which allowed farm workers from Mexico to come and work on farms in the border States and return to Mexico at the end of the season but this is not the issue with illegal immigration where women cross the border either pregnant or becoming pregnant after arrival so that their kids can automatically become US citizens with all the entitlements of a US citizen. Perhaps the laws of US citizenship need to be changed to stop this abuse. A start would be that the parents of any child born in the US who are not citizens of the US but here as permanent legal residents could claim US citizenship for their kids but those who are here illegally unable to do the same and the child is a citizen of the country of the parents and unable to claim or become eligible for US citizenship.

There has been long standing abuse of the rights to claim US citizenship or become permanent residents. The marriage racket was or is one of them
I can see that you do indeed have an issue with Mexicans.

As for your ideas for denying birthright citizenship, your proposed changes are unconstitutional.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Early voting, polling station hours question - Trump is complaining that in Nevada, they kept polling stations open till 10pm to allow 'certain voters' to vote.

What's the legal situation - if there is a long line around the block trying to get into a polling station, then surely it's valid that they would keep the doors open until AT LEAST those who had been in line since 7pm (official closing time) got to vote?

What would happen on election day if there were a line of voters outside a station and 'closing time' comes around? Do they keep the doors open? I remember Sir Eccles saying that the polling booths were overwhelmed in Phoenix due to high primary turnout among Democrats.

I can see now why early voting is such a hot topic and why the republicans want to limit it. It's much easier for a bunch of low-paid hotel workers to vote on Saturday rather than have to take time off work on election day, even though the law requires a reasonable accommodation for employees to vote.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:31 am
Bloody Yank

I can see now why early voting is such a hot topic and why the republicans want to limit it.
It has long been a truism in American politics that low turnout favors Republicans, which is why the GOP offers bogus claims about supposed voter fraud and tries to otherwise make it as difficult as possible to vote.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Early voting, polling station hours question - Trump is complaining that in Nevada, they kept polling stations open till 10pm to allow 'certain voters' to vote.

What's the legal situation - if there is a long line around the block trying to get into a polling station, then surely it's valid that they would keep the doors open until AT LEAST those who had been in line since 7pm (official closing time) got to vote?

What would happen on election day if there were a line of voters outside a station and 'closing time' comes around? Do they keep the doors open? I remember Sir Eccles saying that the polling booths were overwhelmed in Phoenix due to high primary turnout among Democrats.

I can see now why early voting is such a hot topic and why the republicans want to limit it. It's much easier for a bunch of low-paid hotel workers to vote on Saturday rather than have to take time off work on election day, even though the law requires a reasonable accommodation for employees to vote.
Pretty much standard that anyone in line at scheduled closing time gets to vote. You cannot punish voters for an inadequate number of polling places. Some districts reduced the number of polling places in minority districts in an attempt to discourage voters which results in long lines. You would never hear Repubs complain if the polling place were in a heavily Republican district.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

For shame if people actually vote.

I think Maricopa county has had three early voting places. Two hour waits.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
For shame if people actually vote.

I think Maricopa county has had three early voting places. Two hour waits.
They had a shitload of issues in the primaries. That was one of the counties that significantly reduced the number of polling places.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dakota44
They had a shitload of issues in the primaries. That was one of the counties that significantly reduced the number of polling places.
Yes my wife was in line for 5hrs.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yes my wife was in line for 5hrs.
Kudos to her for her dedication.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie
Trump didn't mention it at his rally. This actually makes sense. His (cult members) followers seem to only believe what he tells them and do not rely on anything resembling facts or research.

Kelly Anne Conway (Republican D-lister, about to be unemployed and unemployable) is saying that it doesn't matter, Hillary is still a liar and a criminal.
He has mentioned it now...with his usual bluster and rigged election conspiracy.

Trump: FBI Won’t Let Clinton ‘Get Away With Terrible Crimes’ - The Daily Beast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.