Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:28 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So you will be OK with providing the USCBP ICE with your address and that the thousands of illegals currently in detention centres across the USA can on release stay at your place. They won't pay you any rent but will help out with chores.
There again if enough of them came to your house uninvited and took it over you would still be OK with that as they are doing nothing wrong.
If the immigration standard is limited to those who I want in my house, then the only people who will be receiving green cards will be attractive women who are eager to engage in deviant sexual acts with each other and with me (preferably at the same time.)

In other words, your argument sucks.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:31 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
How is that relevant to any thing I actually wrote?
It shows that your Bernie-could-have-won argument is terribly flawed.

Go figure out why black turnout was down in key areas, and you'll have a better idea of what happened. Then consider the likelihood that black turnout would have been even lower than it was if Sanders had been the nominee.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
It's also called respect. Hard working Mexicans deserve it.
I am not sure where documents come into it, do you mean status.

Perhaps I have been around too long but there are many examples of descriptive terms that get changed, of course the new term just takes on all the connotations of the old one and then that gets changed and so we go on.

Some time back there was a similar conversation on a forum focussing on Prospective Citizens, the lady posting was married to a Prospective Citizen and used the term illegal, and then followed pages of discussion, she was told to say Undocumented but he had documents, just not the right ones and did not understand the issue.

It is amusing the games we play.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:47 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It shows that your Bernie-could-have-won argument is terribly flawed.

Go figure out why black turnout was down in key areas, and you'll have a better idea of what happened. Then consider the likelihood that black turnout would have been even lower than it was if Sanders had been the nominee.
So you didn't actually read what I wrote then.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
There is a serious problem in many parts of the country ( which is partly a cause of Trump's victory) with stagnant real or just low wages, and unemployment for workers. Importing more of a supply of workers at the level I can see what positive effect it has. For example one local roofing contractor is losing business and laying off workers earning $12 an hour, against a competitor who employs workers who crossed the border and willing to work for $8 an hour. I fail to see how that is positive for the economy, Or for that matter Mexicans who came earlier, and now have to compete with a newer group form Mexico, just suppresses wages.

Why try to spend money to re-train people or advance their education skills for the 21st century, but them just import more with lower skills.

I have yet to understand how this is positive for the economy.
Legalizing....clamping down on employers that defy the law...and raising the minimum wage for a start.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dakota44
Legalizing....clamping down on employers that defy the law...and raising the minimum wage for a start.
So 3 things, 2 of which would be more attractive and one which would be a deterrent.

I have seen stories about people who di legalise through marriage, had been working here for years and when they came back all legal had trouble finding work.

A legal employee roofer if we assume $12 an hour would round out at $20 an hour, or pay a no questions asked labour sub contractor $8 an hour?

Up the numbers of course as we have done in Colorado and which I have no problem with and the difference just becomes even bigger.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:30 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

I don't want to appear to be seen to be using words that could label people thereby offending them.
We are not even at a point of offending or not, just boring old best practice in use of language.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Some interesting resemblances to comments made recently about Trump.

This 1922 quote about Hitler has chilling parallels with Donald Trump
https://www.indy100.com/article/this...-trump-7413406
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30

Sounds about right.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can see that when the far-right whips people up bad things follow. My fear is that we'll get an equivalent of the Reichstag Fire - the results might be unimaginable.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Anyone can see that when the far-right whips people up bad things follow. My fear is that we'll get an equivalent of the Reichstag Fire - the results might be unimaginable.
This is where we are, Unknownistan. A land of unknown unknowns. Trump seems to be back sliding, and we might all wonder what the fuss was about. Or something could happen and the unforeseen consequences could take us anywhere.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A new low for America.

Turkish government issues US travel advisory after anti-Trump protests - CNNPolitics.com
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30

So...Godwin's Law only applies to those arguing from the right? Reductio ad Hitlerum.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
All of the brain-trust answers say it better than I could have. Besides, I really shouldn't have to explain it. The point I'm trying to make is pretty ****ing obvious.

I'm not sure why you need to 'shorthand' anything. Is this something that you talk about so often that you need to save time? Using context and situation, there are a bazillion ways you could go without calling people names.

Mexican (if they are)
Undocumented workers (when applicable)
Subject for Deportation (11 million-ish people according to Mr. Trump)
People (this is the important one)

The term is dehumanizing and makes for bad feelings. If you insist on using the term, nothing will happen to you --- thanks to the 1st amendment. But it could hurt somebody else, maybe somebody you didn't intend to hurt?
Perhaps, if it wouldn't offend either the subject of the discussion or anyone here, the subject, who entered and remained in the country without sanction of law could simply be referred to as a PD, "Prospective Democrat."

The other part of the discussion gets serious, i.e. exploitation of the PD by employers. As a - now thankfully retired - Workers' Compensation lawyer, I represented a number of PDs in my time. Contractors would hire them as "Independent Contractors" so that when they cut off their hand with a power saw or fell off a roof they could wash their hands of them. Before injuries occurred, the contractor (many of them Hispanics themselves) would threaten to report them to Immigration if there were any complaints about wages or working conditions - part of that exploitation.

If you could get past the IC or other defense, under a Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision (Reinforced Earth), PDs were eligible for WC indemnity (wage) benefits only so long as they were totally disabled and then would be suspended - it made no difference that even when improved to partially disabled their injury was career-ending. The tragedy in many cases was then that, not being eligible for SSD, SSI or welfare, they would have to live on the charity of others.

As for paying taxes, in most cases the contractors paid them under the table, in cash, so that proving their average weekly wage for indemnity benefits was next to impossible, as they normally had never filed a tax return. Many of these PDs had less than a 4th grade education and were frequently illiterate in Spanish, not to mention having no English skills whatsoever. Larger, legitimate employers - such as warehouses - at least in our area, hired few PDs. The Philadelphia "migras" were pretty aggressive, do those employers usually had I-9 Forms on file with sufficient documentation to protect themselves. Of course, false SS cards are easy and cheap to obtain in Philadelphia and NYC, so to that extent, where the employee is employed under a dodgy SS card, taxes are being withheld by the employer, so perhaps the Government gets its due.

I agree with others, and my experience with the hundreds of Hispanic clients I represented over the years (most of them fully documented and proud of it), is that they are hard-working and reliable people, willing to do the crap jobs that most Americans won't get off their arses to do, so long as those Americans can live better on the safety net than by working. It was interesting, as the years went by, to see the second generation helping with translation for their parents and that the third generation frequently spoke only English. That they won't assimilate may be true in Cali, but not here in Penna.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Nov 12th 2016 at 2:07 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Perhaps, if it wouldn't offend either the subject of the discussion or anyone here, the subject, who entered and remained in the country without sanction of law could simply be referred to as a PD, "Prospective Democrat."

The other part of the discussion gets serious, i.e. exploitation of the PD by employers. As a - now thankfully retired - Workers' Compensation lawyer, I represented a number of PDs in my time. Contractors would hire them as "Independent Contractors" so that when they cut off their hand with a power saw or fell off a roof they could wash their hands of them.

If you could get past the IC or other defense, under a Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision, PDs were eligible for WC indemnity (wage) benefits only so long as they were totally disabled - it made no difference that even when improved to partially disabled their injury was career-ending. The tragedy in many cases was then that, not being eligible for SSD, SSI or welfare, that they would have to live on the charity of others.

As for paying taxes, in most cases the contractors paid them under the table, in cash, so that proving their average weekly wage for indemnity benefits was next to impossible, as they normally had never filed a tax return. Many of these PDs had less than a 4th grade education and were frequently illiterate in Spanish, not to mention having no English skills whatsoever.

I agree with others, and my experience with the hundreds of Hispanic clients I represented, is that they are hard-working and reliable workers, willing to do the crap jobs that most Americans won't get off their arses to do, so long as those Americans can live better on the safety net than by working.
Your tax argument needs reconsidering. This article is an eye opener and I hope you read it. And it does not take into account the tax revenue from businesses tlhat sell or provide services to them.

Undocumented own U.S. homes, pay billions in taxes - CBS News

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 12th 2016 at 2:25 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.