2016 Election

Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Warren Buffet released his taxes, he certainly doesn't pay $0 like Trump.

There is tax avoidance and then there is tax evasion.
And there is tax fraud.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Yes, lots of people.

Aha! Now you get to the root of the matter. "wealthy".

Mere mortals probably pay more tax than they need to, but cannot afford to pay experts to research the appropriate tax reduction mechanisms.

Just because not paying more taxes than you need to sounds a basic, sensible approach to life, doesn't mean that everyone is in that situation. With some professional help I could probably reduce my tax bill for this year, but would I reduce it enough to pay for that help? The richer you are, the more your statement applies.
Ok fair enough some people pay more tax than they need to because they may not know how to structure their taxes deductions etc. But I think the intent of my words is obvious - who pays more taxes that they have to : if you know of a deduction or credit do you not take it ?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

There is tax avoidance and then there is tax evasion.
Being again Trump shouldn't mean against logic- who wants to pay more tax than they need to ? Trump is in real estate business which has a lots of ways to reduce taxes through depreciation etc.

Tax evasion another matter, is there any evidence that Trump has engaged in tax evasion ?

I am still curious- do you voluntarily pay more taxes than you need to by not taking a tax credit or deduction ?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zargof
Further to that, wealthy people also make "donations" to politicians so that they get favourable tax reductions mechanisms in the first place. Again something mere mortals can't do.

So the controversy isn't that Trump can structure his finances to pay such a small amount of tax. It's that the system is setup to allow him to do so.
Exactly !

Though I find it amusing Trump willingly admits to making donations to gain favors, then criticizes others for "pay to play..
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

"not paying more than you need to" =/= paying $0
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:34 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I think a big difference between Buffet and Trump is that the latter cannot bear to lose. I think it would keep him up at night if he thought he had paid 1c more tax than he needed to, and he would be almost obsessive about getting it back - whatever the cost of doing so! That's a general trait that I do not think would be good to have leading the country.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite an amusing trip down memory lane. http://http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/the-insane-things-youveforgotten-about-trumps-campaign.html
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Exclusive: The Democratic National Committee Has Told the FBI It Found Evidence Its HQ Was Bugged | Mother Jones

something something Watergate
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"not paying more than you need to" =/= paying $0
So what should he pay ?

If you had a choice of paying $0 taxes for whatever reason, would you instead pay $2,000 because you thought it was unfair to pay -0- taxes?

Trump has a lot of negatives one can point out or debate, but let's be serious who would pay taxes if they knew they didn't need to ?

The shame is on Democrat and Republican lawmakers who permit all this.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by morpeth
So what should he pay ?

If you had a choice of paying $0 taxes for whatever reason, would you instead pay $2,000 because you thought it was unfair to pay -0- taxes?

Trump has a lot of negatives one can point out or debate, but let's be serious who would pay taxes if they knew they didn't need to ?

It's called a social contract, you pay your fair share. Trump is going beyond minimizing his taxes by say making more charitable contributions (which apparently no one has found any evidence that he personally has made any of, his foundation apparently makes contributions using other people's money), he is going beyond paying himself a modest salary that is fair and reasonable for the position, etc...

I'm not a tax lawyer so I can't say if his actions are legal or just beyond legal. Lots of the commentary I've read suggests he has gone beyond the spirit of the law if not the letter. If a supposed billionaire is paying $0 taxes that's more than just exploiting legal loopholes.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So what should he pay ?

Difficult to know what he "should pay" given the he won't release his tax returns and also claims he's always under audit.

Anyway, to me it's the bigger picture that counts. His tax plan would cut taxes for the "rich" significantly and leave us with a gaping budget deficit again. Why should we trust on taxes someone who seems not to pay any income taxes and whose tax plan favours the segment of the population he claims to be a member of?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 4th 2016 at 11:24 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Difficult to know what he "should pay" given the he won't release his tax returns and also claims he's always under audit.
Pretty sure we know why he is always under audit.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure we know why he is always under audit.
Too bad the IRS doesn't have as many leakers with an agenda as does the FBI.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 12:54 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

So what should he pay ?

Yes - if I was a billionaire, you can bet your a$$ I'd be making sure I paid my fair share of taxes. Just because you *can* pay no taxes, why does that mean you should? Locating every tax loophole you can find to avoid paying your share of taxes while living in the lap of luxury is the very definition of gluttony and it's downright disgusting.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's called a social contract, you pay your fair share. Trump is going beyond minimizing his taxes by say making more charitable contributions (which apparently no one has found any evidence that he personally has made any of, his foundation apparently makes contributions using other people's money), he is going beyond paying himself a modest salary that is fair and reasonable for the position, etc...

I'm not a tax lawyer so I can't say if his actions are legal or just beyond legal. Lots of the commentary I've read suggests he has gone beyond the spirit of the law if not the letter. If a supposed billionaire is paying $0 taxes that's more than just exploiting legal loopholes.
I still ask if you can pay -0- tax by taking a deduction , or pay $2,000 by not taking a deduction, what do you do ? Do you pay $2,000 because you would feel guilty not paying tax one year ? Why would you expect to him do something you wouldn't do ? Why do you avoid answering this question ??If you voluntarily more taxes than what you need to pay I give you all the credit in the world.

I do know wealthy people who have years they pay no taxes especially if they are involved in real estate, so that doesn't completely surprise me.

I am not a tax lawyer either though I have dealt with a lot of tax structuring issues involving businesses. I do agree with you that based on the commentary out there, and his own attitude, I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes the envelope on his deductions and how he runs his foundation. Having a foundation buy a huge portrait of himself as was reported does seems like a potential red flag to me.

While there seems like there are various issues involving the Clinton foundation that one might wonder about, at least the Clinton foundation did do a lot of good work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.