Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good Lord, good God .... who the hell iare these people that are supporting Ted Cruz??!!

ANYBODY BUT CRUZ.

Originally Posted by Boiler
AND HILLARY
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I think (way back in the thread, it's true) there was quite a lot of discussion about Hillary and her strange facility for self-immolation. She is, patently, not a good campaigner, having been out in front in 2008 until relatively late in the process, and now having been widely assumed to be the candidate-in-waiting, she's finding that she can't get the primary voters motivated on her side.

However, I'm not so sure it's that Hillary is a bad candidate. Bernie Sanders has captured the public imagination on the Left in much the same way that several people (not necessarily including The Donald, I think that's a whole different ball game - thinking more of first Carson then Cruz) have done on the right.

A Sanders presidency would quite possibly be the best thing to happen to the USA for a very long time. If only because it would be such an absolute shock to the Republican Right that the party might completely implode within the next election cycle and reinvent itself as a functional organization rather than the fractious and fractured mess it is right now. But I think he would fail in a general election largely because he has laid himself open to ideological attack right from the word go; and the GOP machine will lay into him with unparalleled force all the way from the convention to the general election.

Clinton would, of course, be more of the same old same-old. Despite all the posturing and bleating, she's not going to be indicted or impeached or otherwise prevented from taking up office if she's elected. She may not be squeaky-clean, but if there was anything genuine in all the so-called scandals and endless Congressional enquiries then something would probably have actually stuck to her by now. She was, from the perspective of an outside observer, a competent Secretary of State, her grasp of foreign affairs is not really in any serious doubt and she actually seems to have trodden a path in office that was not really objectionable to either the D or R side of the aisle, drawing ire and opposition only really as a matter of form from her political opponents - even over the Benghazi thing, nobody has ever landed a punch except because they think they ought to have been throwing one. I strongly suspect she would be an equally competent, if unexciting, president.

One reason, of course, that this thread has concentrated on the GOP side is that the battle is so much more interesting (and amusing) to watch. The fact that the field is still so very full is telling in itself. In how many previous cycles have there still been this many people standing this far into the process?

The persistence of Trump is concerning: for all his rhetoric and bluster, he doesn't actually appear to have any policy platforms beyond "build a wall." He also seems to be quite a long way divorced from the truth in a lot of his pronouncements. Cruz, as has been discussed here at length, is genuinely frightening to a lot of people: he's so into the social conservatism kick that it's hard to reconcile his views on individual freedoms with his determination to limit those freedoms when they disagree with his world view. Rubio has positioned himself quite effectively as bridging the gap from the conservative base to the moderates, but he does seem to be a bit weak when put on the spot in debates: that doesn't bode well for a head-to-head performance in a general election. Kasich and Jeb!!! are harmless enough. Either could make a competent president, but neither is a particularly outstanding candidate. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Jeb! come from behind and take the nomination. After a lacklustre start, he seems to be gathering momentum, albeit rather too gradually to be spectacular.

It does seem a lot like deja vu all over again, but I think it's more than likely we'll see a Bush vs Clinton general election, this time with a narrow victory to Clinton.
A lot of posts followed this and I fear some people may miss it so I'm quoting it in full here. I think it is a very level-headed analysis of the situation.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

AND HILLARY
As much as you hate Hillary, I hate Cruz times one million.

I am on record, in this very forum, as an anti-Cruz fanatic. Do a search --- I dare you. I started a thread years ago about this asshole and everybody was like, "Who the hell is Ted Cruz ?" ... Now he's threatening to take over the world.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As much as you hate Hillary, I hate Cruz times one million.

I am on record, in this very forum, as an anti-Cruz fanatic. Do a search --- I dare you. I started a thread years ago about this asshole and everybody was like, "Who the hell is Ted Cruz ?" ... Now he's threatening to take over the world.
Well I doubt that is mathematically possible. But I note you warned us. I really do not see him coming through.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:43 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Even if Sanders became president (which he won't), he wouldn't get much done because the House will remain Republican. The US political system is designed to make change very difficult, and no Democrat can possibly do anything about that.

At this point, the primary upside of voting Democratic is defending and perhaps even realigning the Supreme Court. More justices can be expected to retire or die, and we certainly don't want a Republican to select them.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

[Shortened Text]

Kasich and Jeb!!! are harmless enough. Either could make a competent president, but neither is a particularly outstanding candidate. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Jeb! come from behind and take the nomination. After a lacklustre start, he seems to be gathering momentum, albeit rather too gradually to be spectacular.

It does seem a lot like deja vu all over again, but I think it's more than likely we'll see a Bush vs Clinton general election, this time with a narrow victory to Clinton.
Great post and thanks, Steerpike, for resurrecting it. This thread seems to be hot over the last 24 hours.

I shortened the post to this particular point because I was recently thinking over the same scenario myself, and I posted early in this thread about it, about Bush v Clinton. I still haven't been dissuaded from the notion even though Jeb's performance confuses me. A lot of pundits are writing him off.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:04 pm
WTF?

Well I doubt that is mathematically possible. But I note you warned us. I really do not see him coming through.
I don't think so either but the whole race is
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think so either but the whole race is
Maybe time will help clear the air.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:28 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I would be surprised if it didn't go exactly this way. I've been made a little less convinced because everything has been so Bizzaro World so far. However, I still mostly believe that she'll get the nomination. I generally predict the races fairly accurately but question myself and have a crisis of confidence as my own neurosis requires.

But to suggest that we don't criticize Hillary on this thread, as FA has done, is bonkers.
I agree. I think she'll get the nomination because Sanders comes across as just too radical. His appeal extends to the young liberals but the older Dem voters will throw in with Hilary and it's almost certain that the black and Hispanic votes will go to her also
Old Feb 17th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Good Lord, good God .... who the hell iare these people that are supporting Ted Cruz??!!

ANYBODY BUT CRUZ.
Even the major newspapers in Cruz's home state are endorsing anyone one but Raphael.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 5:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
... Sanders comes across as just too radical ...
What a sad time we live in where a sensible, even headed egalitarian like Sanders is considered radical (I know this isn't you saying that per se, of course).

In reality, he's not that far removed from FDR, who is high in the rankings as far as best president in history goes. His policies are fair, make sense and would in reality be beneficial for everyone. Americans just seem to be too scared of a level playing field.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:23 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

This is great! Trump vs. the Pope!

Pope Frank calls out Trump saying he's not a Christian if he wants to build walls.
Trump responds with: Frank would be praying for a Trump presidency if ISIS attacks the Vatican.

The only way this could be better is if it was via Twitter.

Last edited by zargof; Feb 18th 2016 at 4:30 am.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:27 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
What a sad time we live in where a sensible, even headed egalitarian like Sanders is considered radical (I know this isn't you saying that per se, of course).

In reality, he's not that far removed from FDR, who is high in the rankings as far as best president in history goes. His policies are fair, make sense and would in reality be beneficial for everyone. Americans just seem to be too scared of a level playing field.
There's nothing wrong in what he says are his agendas. The only thing I have a big problem with is how is he going to pay for it all? Where's the money coming from? If you were to tax every billionaire in the country 70 percent and raise the tax level of every American making over 200 K to 25 percent it still wouldn't cover half the cost.

Whacking the big corporations with heavy taxes will only succeed in making even more and more of them locate offshore

What we have is Sanders on one end telling us fairy stories and Trump on the other end doing the same. There's no sense of reality in any of it

As for FDR he was President of a country that bears little resemblance of what it is today

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 18th 2016 at 4:37 am.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by zargof
This is great! Trump vs. the Pope!

Pope Frank calls out Trump saying he's not a Christian if he wants to build walls.
Trump responds with: Frank would be praying for a Trump presidency if ISIS attacks the Vatican.

The only way this could be better is if it was via Twitter.
Maybe Trump would be better off to just invade Mexico, kick out it's corrupt government, kill off all the drug cartels, declare complete religious freedom and make it a US territory like Guam or Puerto Rico.

Most Mexicans would rather stay in their country. It's only the miserable way of life created by a miserable government that forces them to head north in desperation

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 18th 2016 at 4:39 am.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:36 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
There's nothing wrong in what he says are his agendas. The only thing I have a big problem with is how is he going to pay for it all? Where's the money coming from? If you were to tax every billionaire in the country 70 percent and raise the tax level of every American making over 200 K to 25 percent it still wouldn't cover half the cost.

Whacking the big corporations with heavy taxes will only succeed in making even more and more of them locate offshore

What we have is Sanders on one end telling us fairy stories and Trump on the other end doing the same. There's no sense of reality in any of it
He lays out the details on his campaign site. Yes, there will be some tax increases but in reality, a lot of it will also be redistributing existing taxes. A great many articles I have read seem to indicate the the single payer healthcare plan would end up saving both us, and our employers money compared to the ACA as it stands now. Also, he's not going to be initiating these overnight, it will be a process over years as the revenue is redistributed.

At least, for now anyway, he's the only one talking about ideas that will make the situation in America better for everyone. Even if this is all for naught (and I hope it isn't), surely he's at the very least sown the seeds for some positive changes down the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.