2016 Election

Old Nov 10th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by dakota44
"
Burdick v. United States, a 1915 U.S. Supreme Court decision which stated that a pardon indicated a presumption of guilt, and that acceptance of a pardon was tantamount to a confession of that guilt"

Feel better now?
I didn't feel bad before!

So you think Clinton will make a confession of guilt?
Old Nov 10th 2016, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I didn't feel bad before!

So you think Clinton will make a confession of guilt?
One does not have to confess. Anyway I think there will be no further pursuit of her because saner heads will prevail and realize it would appear totally political and create even greater division in the country. Besides..Trump has his own legal woes with 75 active lawsuits against him.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

One does not have to confess. Anyway I think there will be no further pursuit of her because saner heads will prevail and realize it would appear totally political and create even greater division in the country. Besides..Trump has his own legal woes with 75 active lawsuits against him.
Even if he tries to simply ignore it, want to bet that one of the 'lying' main stream media members will ask him about it? As well as how the lawsuits are going against the women who accused him of sexual assault?
Old Nov 10th 2016, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
It's not a blind trust. Trump will still know who the beneficiaries of political decisions will be and whether they align with his business. Expect this to be a YUGE controversy in the Trump administration, that will be dragged into multiple hearings and investigations. Especially since Trump hasn't released tax returns to show where his financial interests lie.

There's been at least one report that Trump has financial investments into an energy infrastructure company that had been awarded some of the contracts that the Obama administration had held up for various reasons (environmental impact etc.)

Also will be interesting to see how the Trump children are classified by government lobbying regulation. Since they now run an Organization that stands to benefit by political decisions, they may be considered lobbyists. Proving that he's not being influenced by his interest in the family business may be challenging. Trump (and by extension Melania) may find himself having to have all emails and discussions with his kids recorded and submitted to demonstrate that he's maintaining that blind trust.
His lawyer said yesterday his ownership would be transferred to blind trust, but implied children would run the business. I don't know the precise rules, but I cant imagine any scenario that would be believable he wont discuss his business with them ! Trump has a he complicated problem to deal with, have no idea how he can solve that one.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if he tries to simply ignore it, want to bet that one of the 'lying' main stream media members will ask him about it? As well as how the lawsuits are going against the women who accused him of sexual assault?
Media has already asked and they backtracking on it. As for the lawsuits..they will never happen. It would expose Trump to the "discovery" process by the defense and he can ill afford that. He has threatened countless lawsuits that he has never followed through on. Not to mention he has 75 active lawsuits against him.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
His lawyer said yesterday his ownership would be transferred to blind trust, but implied children would run the business. I don't know the precise rules, but I cant imagine any scenario that would be believable he wont discuss his business with them ! Trump has a he complicated problem to deal with, have no idea how he can solve that one.
If I remember the details of a web article correctly (I know, don't trust everything on the Internet). He could solve the problem by selling all of his assets through an anonymous bidding process. The proceeds of that sale would be placed into an account that was not visible to either he or his family (therefore, he would not know how much it was sold for). At the conclusion of his term in office, he would be granted access to that account.

Also expect a potential court case because a big part of Trump's more recent business ventures have been licensing his name/brand to hotels, resorts etc. that aren't run by the Trump organization.

As the President-elect, there may be some competitors who may claim that the branding exerts undue influence on consumers, or by some of the owners that the branding may indicate that the properties reflect Trump's policy positions, and seek to terminate the relationship.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I remember the details of a web article correctly (I know, don't trust everything on the Internet). He could solve the problem by selling all of his assets through an anonymous bidding process. The proceeds of that sale would be placed into an account that was not visible to either he or his family (therefore, he would not know how much it was sold for). At the conclusion of his term in office, he would be granted access to that account.

Also expect a potential court case because a big part of Trump's more recent business ventures have been licensing his name/brand to hotels, resorts etc. that aren't run by the Trump organization.

As the President-elect, there may be some competitors who may claim that the branding exerts undue influence on consumers, or by some of the owners that the branding may indicate that the properties reflect Trump's policy positions, and seek to terminate the relationship.
I have every confidence that some investigative reporters will be paying close attention to his foreign business activities..on the lookout for any use of his position to benefit his business and it will be widely reported. I feel sure that the Donald would never be able to resist..even through surrogates (his children) to trade promises for business favors.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Media has already asked and they backtracking on it. As for the lawsuits..they will never happen. It would expose Trump to the "discovery" process by the defense and he can ill afford that. He has threatened countless lawsuits that he has never followed through on. Not to mention he has 75 active lawsuits against him.
And, as I mentioned above, this is one of the dangers that Trump faces because of the way he campaigned - as he walks back more and more of his claims/promises, he erodes the platform that he campaigned on - if he's not going to put 'crooked' Hillary in jail, if he's not going to sue the 'lying' women who accused him of sexual assault, if he's not going to round up 11 million 'bad hombres', etc. - he will continue to anger and disenfranchise his base - they will have more vehemence towards him than the people who DIDN'T vote for him because they elected him to be an 'outsider' and fix the system, and it turns out that he's simply another cog in the system, who lied to get himself into office.

He could end up being reviled by the entire political spectrum.

EDIT: Oh, apparently his promise of banning muslims from the country has now disappeared from his website

Last edited by Ebonhawke; Nov 10th 2016 at 6:50 pm. Reason: New Information
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of challenges to the above scenario

- Trump and his senior aides have all shown vindictive tendencies. I doubt that Trump will simply pardon them without having a chance to reap vengeance.

- I would imagine that the efforts of the Clinton Foundation are a great source of pride for both Bill and Hlilary. The successes of the Foundation are well documented, and I doubt that either Bill or Hillary will want to stop the work that the Foundation is doing to make AIDS treatments more affordable.

- Since neither Clinton is a part of Trump's government (and I doubt likely either will desire to hold government office again), there's no potential chance for pay-for-play in the future. Their foundation will be essentially lobbyists, similar to other charitable organizations.
The vengeance you mention is implied in the Clintons being stripped of all control of the Foundation and its funds. There is great controversy as to how wonderful the Foundation really is - for example, see the NY Post article: Charity watchdog: Clinton Foundation a ‘slush fund’ | New York Post

Others think otherwise. Clearly, the Foundation must be audited and then the funds disbursed as I suggested. If the Clintons want to hang onto control of the Foundation, then a special prosecutor should be appointed and the chips will fall where they may, but the onus for the existence of the investigation will be on the Clintons not Trump.

Trust me, there is a great deal of anger amongst Trump's supporters at even the suggestion of a pardon. Does anyone here think Obama will pardon her? If so, what would be the rationale? As another poster reminded us, acceptance of a pardon is tantamount to acknowledgment of guilt.

Another poster pointed out another problem for Trump, i.e. that he owns existing businesses run by his children. Probably his best course would be to transfer ownership to them, perhaps in exchange for funding a blind trust administered by others.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And, as I mentioned above, this is one of the dangers that Trump faces because of the way he campaigned - as he walks back more and more of his claims/promises, he erodes the platform that he campaigned on - if he's not going to put 'crooked' Hillary in jail, if he's not going to sue the 'lying' women who accused him of sexual assault, if he's not going to round up 11 million 'bad hombres', etc. - he will continue to anger and disenfranchise his base - they will have more vehemence towards him than the people who DIDN'T vote for him because they elected him to be an 'outsider' and fix the system, and it turns out that he's simply another cog in the system, who lied to get himself into office.

EDIT: Oh, apparently his promise of banning muslims from the country has now disappeared from his website
I'm counting on it.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

and when coal doesn't come back, when iPhones are still not made in the US, when kids are being taught Creationism because Carson is in charge of education, when people are dying because Obamacare was repealed but not replaced, when he hires lobbyists to help him drain the swamp, when JayZ still raps those bad words...
Old Nov 10th 2016, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Others think otherwise. Clearly, the Foundation must be audited and then the funds disbursed as I suggested. If the Clintons want to hang onto control of the Foundation, then a special prosecutor should be appointed and the chips will fall where they may, but the onus for the existence of the investigation will be on the Clintons not Trump.
The Clinton Foundation is audited, every single year - their annual reports, audited financial and IRS statements are found on the website.

The Clintons actually no longer control the Foundation, as part of the preparation for the run at the White House, they withdrew from positions with the foundation a couple of years ago within the Foundation and are not involved in the day-to-day decisions of the Foundation, and the dispersement of the funds to different organizations. They do attend fund-raising events, but are not involved in the decision making of the funds that are raised.

If I wanted to be a deflectionist, I'd mention that, since Trump never registered his Foundation as a charity, it has not been subject to yearly audits. When the Trump Foundation was created, this was perfectly acceptable, as the Foundation was receiving its' funding allegedly solely from Trump. However, in recent years, Trump has not been providing the sole funding to the Foundation, and has been accepting donations from outside parties, but failed to register. This failure to register is being investigated by the NY State Attorney General and caused the Foundation to cease and desist soliciting donations. The results of this investigation could have some interesting implications on President-elect Trump
Old Nov 10th 2016, 7:38 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

So the walk back is starting. Mexico won't be paying for that wall. What a shocker...

Old Nov 10th 2016, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

I'm counting on it.
And the tightrope challenge facing the Republicans is that Trump is still technically the leader of the Republican party. Should he continue to generate animosity against him, they risk significant losses in the 2018 elections, to the point where they could legitimately lose control of both the House and Senate again.

For 2018, Republican Senate seats up for re-election are in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Wyoming, and Nebraska. A lot of these states will be significantly impacted by Trump's stated policy positions.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
So the walk back is starting. Mexico won't be paying for that wall. What a shocker...

https://twitter.com/scottdetrow/stat...09839137718272
As for the "wall" my bet is there will be a token extension of the structures there now and Trump will declare "victory".

And lol at whoever posted a link to a NY Post article as evidence of issues in the Clinton Foundation. The charity watchdog mentioned in that article has now vetted the foundation and gives it its highest grade.`

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ry&orgid=16680

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 10th 2016 at 7:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.