Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do so many fail?

Why do so many fail?

Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:18 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many fail?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I think what they are trying to say is that the implication was that they fail because they are British, even if that wasn't the intent.

It sounded like a bit of a sarky comment, probably a throw away one but thats how it came across all the same.

The reply you gave saying that it depends on how insecure people are as to how they took the comment didn't help to be honest.
No way of the mark there !!

I think the implication was that the British connection had no implication to the relevance of the sarky comment which in turn then had no implication to the intent of the post which sort of implied that there was no implication on the British implication. Also regarding being insecure it did then imply with a high degree of implication that being British is good but in no way had any relevance to any degree of insecurities that was further then implied ...

so hope thats cleared the matter up
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Well why confuse your post to the one in question ?
Eh? Because, as you previously mentioned, the poster I responded to had issues with this comment http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=58

They then used my 5 words of my initial post to backup their argument. They basically took 5 words from my initial post to try and manipulate an argument to support their opinion...There is a big difference between "Why do so many fail?" and my initial post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...99&postcount=1
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:23 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Im with SoJohn on this he is innocent ...

Just a victim of way to much implicationing in my opinion ..
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:27 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete

just what are you implying? EH?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:29 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Eh? Because, as you previously mentioned, the poster I responded to had issues with this comment http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=58

They then used my 5 words of my initial post to backup their argument. They basically took 5 words from my initial post to try and manipulate an argument to support their opinion...There is a big difference between "Why do so many fail?" and my initial post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...99&postcount=1
If you look at it again, the comment was what Trudje had posted, not what she had in the quote box in her post.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:30 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a bridge anywhere near?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Don't know how this all got out of hand If I was to guess I would say that the people who have failed were offended and don't quite know the meaning of failed. Then some other people are worrying about failing and are trying to defend their possible failure before it happens.

Aint psychology grand?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:31 am
Banned

just what are you implying? EH?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:33 am
Banned

I know the feeling , heck you could build us one Matt
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Are you losing the will to live ?, lol
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:34 am
Straw Man.

I know the feeling , heck you could build us one Matt
Funnily enough, thats just what I am doing next week!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:35 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
Are you losing the will to live ?, lol
I'm getting close, but I was just going to check it for any mythical creatures.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I'm getting close, but I was just going to check it for any mythical creatures.
Lol.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
If you look at it again, the comment was what Trudje had posted, not what she had in the quote box in her post.
I really don't know how to say it simpler, but I will try it again...

Hi All,

Thought this should be an interesting thread.

In your opinion, why do so many people fail to settle in Spain and return to the UK?

Poor planning?

Bad luck?

Living the "dream" is not such a dream?

Work?

Language?

No idea!
My initial post.

Hi All,

Thought this should be an interesting thread.

In your opinion, why do so many people fail to settle in Spain and return to the UK?

Poor planning?

Bad luck?

Living the "dream" is not such a dream?

Work?

Language?

No idea!
Maybe because they're British?
The deemed to be racist quote.

The question was "Why do so many fail?"
The answer given (one of them) was "Maybe because they are British."

Let's try putting this into an English frame for a moment.

Picture the scene - a Pakistani/Croatian/Iraqi/Polish forum in England.
"Why do so many fail?"
"Maybe it's because they are Pakistani/Croatian/Iraqi/Polish"

The british Police would be knocking my door very soon afterwards.

You need to qualify statements like that, which can be so easily misconstrued. Read my original comment - it did NOT say you are a racist. Compare it with what is above here. You will probably say they are totally different circumstances, but you are the only one inside your own mind, so the only one who really knows what the context was.

I for one do not believe that anyone who tries to make a life in another country can be a racist. You have to be prepared to be the foreigner and take what comes. So if you took offence about my post then I can only apologise. But I think I made a fair point.
The argument for it being potentially racist...

I disagree. You just quoted 5 words of my initial post to backup your comparison. The context in which it was said greatly decreases the possibility of it being racist....
My comment to the comparison
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:44 am
Straw Man.

Default What are you implying!!??

I dont understand the confusion here.

The question of the thread was "Why do so many fail?"

The ladies answer was....."Maybe because they are British"

Make of it what you will and move on!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.