Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do so many fail?

Why do so many fail?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Sugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why do so many fail?

Originally Posted by scampicat
Some people (early retirement but not of State Retirement age) just do not plan correctly.

I know several couples in this category who have come out here to live on capital. They have rapidly run out. The one couple have sold up in the UK, haven't bothered paying NI to the UK towards their State Pension (although if this 30-year rule comes in they may be OK), don't pay into the Spanish system either and are now having to drastically downsize to release more capital. They have recently found out that thye have to pay towards medicql care (hospital bill); however a gestor is registering them as self-employed (they are not, really) and they can pay into the system that way.

Another couple in a similar situation have sold up and are running out of money, but they ARE paying into the UK State Pension and are covered on Spanish healthcare. Luckily they now have several months' work a year from their previous employers in the UK.

We are also in the category of early-retirement-but-not-retirement-age, but we still have a property in the UK, we have my husband's teachers' pension to live on, we pay into UK State Pension and are covered for Spanish Healthcare.

It amazes me how many people come with no clear idea of what they are going to live on. We would not have come if we had not got my husband's pension, nor if we'd have had to have sold up completely in the UK (although I understand that keeping a property is not possible for everyone).

So, my answer to the question is, incomplete and unrealistic financial planning.
What this 30 year rule then not heard anything about it can you tell me please.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarlugs

Basically I was short by 4 years on NI contributions when I came out here and decided to make voluntary contribs. When I went to Dept of Work and pensions I was told not to bother as they are bringing the full pension contribution time down to 30 years. So if you've been paying in for that time you get a full pension ....... allegedly
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you retire after 2010...... HERE
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iocara
Personally it's not failure..... if you think about it, if people did not realise their dreams and try, then they would always look back with regret and think "If I had done that then I would have been happy, successful and content", which might never have been the case but would impact on their everyday lives, always thinking that there is something much better out their in Spain etc, at least if people try then they can look back hopefully without regrets and think "well hey I tried it, and it didn't work", the latter is not a good situation, but neither is a life time of regret.

I am in the latter class, having to live in Spain for the next 7 months, at least, trying to learn the language, not very successfully I might add but if I do go home, I will look back on the disastrous relationship and my time in Spain with a sense of pride, I tried, used my savings, but at least I know that life was not greener )

Challenged, smiling and attempting kite surfing )
I didn't say it better myself.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:45 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

There are moves afoot so that people whose State retirement date is after 5 April 2010 will only need to pay National Insurance Contributions for 30 years (instead of 39 or 44) to get a full State Pension. It will almost certainly become law, but hasn't as yet.

Unfortunately my retirement date is January 2010 so I still need to pay one more year, but my husband's date is 2014 so he doesn't need to pay any more as he has 38 years already.

Last edited by scampicat; Jun 12th 2007 at 9:49 am.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:58 am
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Hi All,

Thought this should be an interesting thread.

In your opinion, why do so many people fail to settle in Spain and return to the UK?

Poor planning?

Bad luck?

Living the "dream" is not such a dream?

Work?

Language?

No idea!
Don't realise what they are getting themselves into and haven't taken the time to fully understand the why am I doing this question.

rgds

John
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:06 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Basically I was short by 4 years on NI contributions when I came out here and decided to make voluntary contribs. When I went to Dept of Work and pensions I was told not to bother as they are bringing the full pension contribution time down to 30 years. So if you've been paying in for that time you get a full pension ....... allegedly
I spoke with my accountant on the keeping the UK NI payments running due to future pensions ect, he said dont worry about it !!! He reckons have paid enough and it makes no odds i would get it anyways , so in a way paying any more in the system wont make any difference

So think this confirms Mitzys post
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Why do so many fail?..............Wouldn't failure be to sit in the UK dreaming,but never come over and give it a go.
Not sure, I haven't made the move yet. But the work and money obstacle won't be a problem for me as I will keep my current job.

During my time on this forum though, I have seen some rather unrealistic planning the move. After reading their thread I thought to myself "UH...yeah..right". Maybe a bit hard to judge but some people who are planning it are thinking they will go to Spain without a job, no skills, earn ends meet and live a superior Spanish life style. I wouldn't say those people have failed since they never had a chance of success....
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:29 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Why do so many fail?..............Wouldn't failure be to sit in the UK dreaming,but never come over and give it a go.
I like this one simple one liner , but absolutely right !

If i get over there and dont like it in several years time ! well then its back to the UK , with the knowledge and experience of trying it behind me , then i get one of them little tiny retirement bungalow things with warden alarms etc, and sit indoors watching the Country decline into further despair , keep my eye on the cctv system for the burglars and wait until the kids are at school before going to do the shopping . then come back home relock the doors and switch on the electric fencing system , before replaying the cctv recording to see if any unsavoury characters have tried to scale the fencing in my absence !!
before putting in a classic film like "Mopedders do it slowly (in colour)" and having a half pint of home made real Ale

All the time knowing that i had tried Spain but wasnt as good as expected ,and so this is the way life is ,so got to get on with it ...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:30 am
Banned

Not sure, I haven't made the move yet. But the work and money obstacle won't be a problem for me as I will keep my current job.

During my time on this forum though, I have seen some rather unrealistic planning the move. After reading their thread I thought to myself "UH...yeah..right". Maybe a bit hard to judge but some people who are planning it are thinking they will go to Spain without a job, no skills, earn ends meet and live a superior Spanish life style. I wouldn't say those people have failed since they never had a chance of success....
Very true ..
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:59 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

In your opinion, why do so many people fail to settle in Spain and return to the UK?

Poor planning?

Bad luck?

Work?

Language?

No idea!

I really don't like this idea that people think that if you don't make Spain your home permanently that you are a failure.

I certainly am not a failure just because I made the choice to leave Spain. I simple had enough of Spain. Making a country your home for six years, raising your daughter, living a new lifestyle, new home, becoming mortgage free at 27 (even tho problems still occurred) does not in my eyes equate to failure.

But staying somewhere that you have become to hate because of various reasons such as the bureaucracy, animal cruelty, bullying and racial tension would in my eyes be failing my family and myself.

Deciding to leave, take the plunge; leave your house and your adopted life behind and everything that your child has known. To move to a country you haven't lived in for 13 years to try and improve your lifestyle even though it is against the odds. To help your child achieve good grades in school (which she has done) have a social life and friends (which she has done), give her a better chance in life. Improve your self by having the opportunities to educate yourself. Simple get a life that doesn’t involve vegetating on the sun lounger forever more simple because there is nothing else to do. To me are a challenge and certainly not a failure.

Yeah England may have problems but tell me what country hasn’t? The government has problems but I tell you this country is a darn site better than it was 13 years ago when I left. Here if I don't like something I have a voice and am not just shrugged off as some stupid foreigner.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:47 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
I really don't like this idea that people think that if you don't make Spain your home permanently that you are a failure.

I certainly am not a failure just because I made the choice to leave Spain. I simple had enough of Spain. Making a country your home for six years, raising your daughter, living a new lifestyle, new home, becoming mortgage free at 27 (even tho problems still occurred) does not in my eyes equate to failure.

But staying somewhere that you have become to hate because of various reasons such as the bureaucracy, animal cruelty, bullying and racial tension would in my eyes be failing my family and myself.

Deciding to leave, take the plunge; leave your house and your adopted life behind and everything that your child has known. To move to a country you haven't lived in for 13 years to try and improve your lifestyle even though it is against the odds. To help your child achieve good grades in school (which she has done) have a social life and friends (which she has done), give her a better chance in life. Improve your self by having the opportunities to educate yourself. Simple get a life that doesn’t involve vegetating on the sun lounger forever more simple because there is nothing else to do. To me are a challenge and certainly not a failure.

Yeah England may have problems but tell me what country hasn’t? The government has problems but I tell you this country is a darn site better than it was 13 years ago when I left. Here if I don't like something I have a voice and am not just shrugged off as some stupid foreigner.

Yes, I agree with glad 2 be back. Trying and changing your mind for perfectly valid reasons is not failure.

The bureaucracy and ever-more encroaching plasti invernerados and golf courses will get the better of us in the end. We know that. We think in about two years we will be off - maybe to northern France, maybe back to the UK.

As he/she says, this is not failure.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Poor planning?

Bad luck?

Work?

Language?

No idea!
Maybe because they're British?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back

I think you managed to dissect my choice of words for a hidden meaning that wasn't there

I wouldn't describe your experience as a failure as it would seem you made a choice and certainly didn't rush into it. My original post was designed to see the common reasons why people return, I certainly wouldn't describe your experience as common.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:02 am
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

It cannot be called a failure if you are where you want to be. If you try another country and, for whatever reason, go back, then as long as it comes from a positive decision that is planned, how can that be a failure?

Fail to plan = Plan to fail.

or that useful old chestnut.
PPPPPP
(Perfect planning prevents p*** poor performance)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.