Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do so many fail?

Why do so many fail?

Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many fail?

Originally Posted by trutje
Maybe because they're British?
??
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:38 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

Maybe because they're British?
Sounds verging on a racist comment to me. If we said something like that in England we would have the pc police on our case, or worse.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjrw
Sounds verging on a racist comment to me. If we said something like that in England we would have the pc police on our case, or worse.
Bit of an odd comment really.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sjrw
Where do you get that from??
I just mean a lot of people who live abroad still see their birthcountry as their home and will return back one day.
That's all
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

I just mean a lot of people who live abroad still see their birthcountry as their home and will return back one day.
That's all
The same place someone chose to take my choice of words and get the meaning that they wanted. To me you said that "they are british and will get home sick, etc". To others you said "they are british and make stupid decisions"
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:22 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

That's all

Thats what I presumed you meant.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:25 pm
Straw Man.

Hmmmm..........
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SoJohn
The same place someone chose to take my choice of words and get the meaning that they wanted. To me you said that "they are british and will get home sick, etc". To others you said "they are british and make stupid decisions"
I know what you're saying
You didn't mean to offend anyone same as I didn't, maybe it depends on the readers insecurity's?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:37 pm
Straw Man.

Hmmmm.......
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it would of saved a problem if the whole sentence had been written ;-)
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:46 pm

I think you managed to dissect my choice of words for a hidden meaning that wasn't there

I wouldn't describe your experience as a failure as it would seem you made a choice and certainly didn't rush into it. My original post was designed to see the common reasons why people return, I certainly wouldn't describe your experience as common.

I only read what you wrote, you were the one that said "fail" couldn’t say much more than that to be honest.

Perhaps it’s not the brits who have failed, perhaps they have been failed by the whole Spanish system and bureaucrats.

I think the only way someone could stay in spain forever is if they had a very thick skin and very deep pockets. As the spanish system is designed to make you fall at every hurdle. No matter how hard you try but that's my personal opinion of course.

People couldn't believe we left as we tried are damdest and gave it our all to make a success. In the six years I lived there I only left once and that was for five days to attend a funeral...now that does not sound like commitment.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Hmmmm.......
would you care to elaborate on that?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
I only read what you wrote, you were the one that said "fail" couldn’t say much more than that to be honest.

Perhaps it’s not the brits who have failed, perhaps they have been failed by the whole Spanish system and bureaucrats.

I think the only way someone could stay in spain forever is if they had a very thick skin and very deep pockets. As the spanish system is designed to make you fall at every hurdle. No matter how hard you try but that's my personal opinion of course.

People couldn't believe we left as we tried are damdest and gave it our all to make a success. In the six years I lived there I only left once and that was for five days to attend a funeral...now that does not sound like commitment.
No. You chose to take the word "fail" and use it for your own circumstance.

dictionary definition of fail: to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved: The experiment failed because of poor planning.

If you set out to relocate to Spain and returned, by definition, you failed.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:57 pm

No. You chose to take the word "fail" and use it for your own circumstance.

dictionary definition of fail: to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved: The experiment failed because of poor planning.

If you set out to relocate to Spain and returned, by definition, you failed.
mate, I answered the question. I moved to Spain didn't plan it to be forever just done it.

I didn't fail because I relocated elsewhere.

I moved house a month ago to a bigger house in an area 2 miles away does that make me a failure?

You're only trying to make an issue out of it because you know I am correct.

also do you have an opinion on the rest of my post or just the definition part.

Last edited by glad 2 b back; Jun 13th 2007 at 6:58 pm. Reason: forgot something
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe it would of saved a problem if the whole sentence had been written ;-)
Yep I'm still amazed how someone could call it racism

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.