Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do so many fail?

Why do so many fail?

Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:06 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why do so many fail?

Originally Posted by Lis48
Hillybilly, in my experience there´s a fifth reason too. A lot of people are running away from UK rather than coming to Spain. They might feel unfulfilled in their work in UK, unfulfilled in their relationship or just generally dissatisfied with their life. I don´t think "starting a new life" is at all easy especially when the same problems you had in UK just start happening all over again. The problems are often internal and a change of scenery just papers over the cracks. Generally I think retired people out here learnt to have lower expectations from life so are happier!

Hi Lisa I agree with what you have said, as a retired couple OH and I have been there, seen it and got the T-shirt. At our age we are quite prepared to settle down and lower our expectations, during our working life we were working long hard hours to buy the latest gadget to install in our better than the Jone's house, have our 4 holidays aboard and spend a fortune on eating out. Thankfully we have now realised that none of this matters, all that matters is that we have our health and if we are lucky enough to have a comfortable life style with that then we in deed are the lucky ones.

If baggage comes with you when you move anywhere in the world to start a new life then that baggage will stay with you until you yourself take stock of it and deposit it safely somewhere else, not only leaving it behind but actually letting go of it.

Last edited by crispy; Jun 10th 2007 at 5:11 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:24 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Hi,

Sorry if my reply sounds stupid, still getting to grips with these laws and such.

I was under the impression that you could not pay into a UK state pension(national insurance) and be registered as a resident in Spain. I was also under the impression this kind of arrangement would only cover you for the first three months of being out there (can only receive free spanish health care for your initial 3 months of living there)
You can indeed as a Spanish resident pay into your British State Pension (Voluntary Contributions) if you are not paying as an employed person/self employed into the Spanish scheme. I have done this and have one more year to pay for a full pension. Voluntary Contributions are nmothing to do with Healthcare, they only count towards your Retirement Pension.

As regards Healthcare, if you have an E106 (contribution based) or E121 form (for State Pensioners and people in receipt of Incapacity Benefit from the UK) from the DSS in the UK, then these will cover yoiu fror healthcare in Spain. The E106 lasts a maximum of two years and the E121 lasts indefinitely if you are of State Pension age or for as long as you are on IB.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scampicat
You can indeed as a Spanish resident pay into your British State Pension (Voluntary Contributions) if you are not paying as an employed person/self employed into the Spanish scheme. I have done this and have one more year to pay for a full pension. Voluntary Contributions are nmothing to do with Healthcare, they only count towards your Retirement Pension.

As regards Healthcare, if you have an E106 (contribution based) or E121 form (for State Pensioners and people in receipt of Incapacity Benefit from the UK) from the DSS in the UK, then these will cover yoiu fror healthcare in Spain. The E106 lasts a maximum of two years and the E121 lasts indefinitely if you are of State Pension age or for as long as you are on IB.

Hope this helps.
Yes indeed. I am currently trying to work out who to pay and such. I will be working for a Dutch company while living in Spain, confuses me a lot. Am I right in thinking the Spanish National Insurance, that i'm referring to, includes pension and health care?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:31 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Yes indeed. I am currently trying to work out who to pay and such. I will be working for a Dutch company while living in Spain, confuses me a lot. Am I right in thinking the Spanish National Insurance, that i'm referring to, includes pension and health care?
I think so, but I don't know for sure as we do not pay into the Spanish system.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who DOES know!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

will cover yoiu fror healthcare in Spain. The E106 lasts a maximum of two years and the E121 lasts indefinitely if you are of State Pension age or for as long as you are on IB.

Hope this helps.
Unless you're in Valencia and the E106 seems to last forever
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:16 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Some people (early retirement but not of State Retirement age) just do not plan correctly.

I know several couples in this category who have come out here to live on capital. They have rapidly run out. The one couple have sold up in the UK, haven't bothered paying NI to the UK towards their State Pension (although if this 30-year rule comes in they may be OK), don't pay into the Spanish system either and are now having to drastically downsize to release more capital. They have recently found out that thye have to pay towards medicql care (hospital bill); however a gestor is registering them as self-employed (they are not, really) and they can pay into the system that way.

Another couple in a similar situation have sold up and are running out of money, but they ARE paying into the UK State Pension and are covered on Spanish healthcare. Luckily they now have several months' work a year from their previous employers in the UK.

We are also in the category of early-retirement-but-not-retirement-age, but we still have a property in the UK, we have my husband's teachers' pension to live on, we pay into UK State Pension and are covered for Spanish Healthcare.

It amazes me how many people come with no clear idea of what they are going to live on. We would not have come if we had not got my husband's pension, nor if we'd have had to have sold up completely in the UK (although I understand that keeping a property is not possible for everyone).

So, my answer to the question is, incomplete and unrealistic financial planning.
makes sense to me,
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really nice

Originally Posted by crispygirl

If baggage comes with you when you move anywhere in the world to start a new life then that baggage will stay with you until you yourself take stock of it and deposit it safely somewhere else, not only leaving it behind but actually letting go of it.
Very wise words from a very wise and crispy girl

I think the only thing that worries me for when I am over there is the health of loved ones who I have left behind. Must be very hard when theres a seriously ill relative back home and you are committed to work in another country and you cant take the time out to see them. I suppose it depends on the situation, but its something else to consider when making the decision to emigrate. Some people move without realising the sacrifices you have to make.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jondee

I think the only thing that worries me for when I am over there is the health of loved ones who I have left behind. Must be very hard when theres a seriously ill relative back home and you are committed to work in another country and you cant take the time out to see them. I suppose it depends on the situation, but its something else to consider when making the decision to emigrate. Some people move without realising the sacrifices you have to make.
I agree with what you are saying but it can be the same if you live in different places in the UK. For example we used to live in East Sussex and the kids and grandkids live in Cornwall so travelling time about the same as Spain and Cornwall. Getting time off work can also be difficult in UK so again very similar. However, it is always best for each individual to carefully weigh up everything that is pertinent to them and their family members.

Rosemary
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do so many fail?..............Wouldn't failure be to sit in the UK dreaming,but never come over and give it a go.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Why do so many fail?..............Wouldn't failure be to sit in the UK dreaming,but never come over and give it a go.

Hmmmm . I guess thats a good point of view, but I think the trouble is that (as has been highlighted here) people don't research and think about the implications. Took us well over two years from first thinking about it to doing the deed. Had I been coming here to work I think it might have taken longer. No use just upping sticks and arriving here with no plan .... know that wasn't what you were suggesting but I'm sure it happens
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

However, you are only a couple of hours by plane away, and if you were living at opposite ends on England, never miond the UK, it would take much longer to get there.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
However, you are only a couple of hours by plane away, and if you were living at opposite ends on England, never mind the UK, it would take much longer to get there.
Point taken, I guess the same sacrifices have to be made whether moving abroad or moving to the other side of the Country. I agree its becoming just as easy/cheap to travel from Spain to the UK than it is to travel from say, London to Newcastle,

But I think psychologically speaking you might feel more cut off from the rest of the family and even guilt may come into it. All this stress is an extra burden on trying to build a new life in a new country, just as it would be if you moved to the other side of the UK.

Originally Posted by Daveinspain

Totaly agree and that is why I am determined to give it a go, and any problems on the way are just challenges that can be overcome. It's funny how so many people are telling me that I should really think hard about this, like I am just going to up sticks and head straight for the airport with a one way ticket in my hand.

The best laid schemes o' mice and men
Gang aft agley
And leave us nought but grief and pain
For promised joy!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny how so many people are telling me that I should really think hard about this, like I am just going to up sticks and head straight for the airport with a one way ticket in my hand.

The best laid schemes o' mice and men
Gang aft agley
And leave us nought but grief and pain
For promised joy!
Unfortunately there are agreat many people who do just upsticks and do notthink it through thoroughly enough.

I personally do not think that people who return have failed unless they did not make a go of it due to lack of planning in the first place.

We would not be living in Spain if we were not early retirees.

Rosemary
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

iocara is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally it's not failure..... if you think about it, if people did not realise their dreams and try, then they would always look back with regret and think "If I had done that then I would have been happy, successful and content", which might never have been the case but would impact on their everyday lives, always thinking that there is something much better out their in Spain etc, at least if people try then they can look back hopefully without regrets and think "well hey I tried it, and it didn't work", the latter is not a good situation, but neither is a life time of regret.

I am in the latter class, having to live in Spain for the next 7 months, at least, trying to learn the language, not very successfully I might add but if I do go home, I will look back on the disastrous relationship and my time in Spain with a sense of pride, I tried, used my savings, but at least I know that life was not greener )

Challenged, smiling and attempting kite surfing )
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by iocara
Personally it's not failure..... if you think about it, if people did not realise their dreams and try, then they would always look back with regret and think "If I had done that then I would have been happy, successful and content", which might never have been the case but would impact on their everyday lives, always thinking that there is something much better out their in Spain etc, at least if people try then they can look back hopefully without regrets and think "well hey I tried it, and it didn't work", the latter is not a good situation, but neither is a life time of regret.

I am in the latter class, having to live in Spain for the next 7 months, at least, trying to learn the language, not very successfully I might add but if I do go home, I will look back on the disastrous relationship and my time in Spain with a sense of pride, I tried, used my savings, but at least I know that life was not greener )

Challenged, smiling and attempting kite surfing )
You say 'having to live in Spain for the next 7 months', maybe things will turn around for you and it will become positive. Keep at the language, it is not easy if you find languages difficult as we do but lots gradually sink in without you realising it.

I agree it can never be classed as a failure if you try something.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.