Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here?

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:55 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go from here?

Look out of your window right now. The sky is a perfect Microsoft blue, with only a few tiny clouds. I've walked the dog and I'm ready to walk to a Spanish cafe, in my shorts, to enjoy a coffee and tostada. I do have a problem, I don't know whether to buy the Costa Blanca News, or the Times, or PC Pro, or El Pais. I have the same problem every Friday, and that's without 'er indoors asking me to buy her those expensive English magazines. What she doesn't know is that the Spanish waitress gives me one of her special smiles when I walk in.

I've been knocking on heaven's door for ages now.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I am just laughing here, comparing the situation with what my daughter has to do in a normal day with a 3 year old at school and a 30 month toddler.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by painterhombre

oh yeah thanks mr perfect.

I bet in reality you actually live in a 3 bed semi in manchester and this is your sort of fantasy, pretending you live here eh?
Put it this way, I live a lot closer to Aspe than you apparently do, and I drive to Alicante twice a day for work. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's you that doesn't live here.

At least you've woken up to some sunshine again today - let's hope that puts you in a better mood...
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I am just laughing here, comparing the situation with what my daughter has to do in a normal day with a 3 year old at school and a 30 month toddler.
Probably because she is a good parent and puts her children first and ensures that they have a secure life.

Rosemary
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask please why some people love to take the p**s of others when they need help.

Always the same names who like to put their useless crap forward.

You lot know who you are so just leave us alone.
To those who know what we are going on about thankyou and some of the pms have been very useful and we shall be following them up.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Just want to say we both agree about that, or the benefit of anyone else reading. This forum seems to have a few people whose sole job is to wind people up and take the pi**.

We very much appreciate any help and advice from those who want to give it but if youre one of the lonely saddoes spending all day inside on your computer, despite how wonderful you say your lives are, thinking about taking the p**** just forget it.

Now ive got that off my chest, thanks to the genuine people who have offered help, we are on the case.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:01 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I love a decent discussion, especially a lively one, and I was never in any doubt that Carter knew Aspe better than anyone else on this thread. The points he made about trying to blend in, like leaving the shiny BMW in the garage and driving a normal Spanish car, small, white and full of dents, are perfectly valid. I've made the same mistake as Hombre, only it wasn't a BMW, but the other one. I soon learned my lesson after parking at Mercadona a few times. Two resprays later, I leave it in the garage while trying to sell it, and drive around in a small, white . . . .

A few months ago I wrote about Aspe, from what little I know of it and I was shouted down by the romantics who glamourise anything Spanish. Don't get me wrong, I love Spain, but I keep my eyes open.

Back to Aspe then. It's about as normal a Spanish inland town as can be, and if that's what you want from your life in Spain, it's perfect. And it's a doddle of a drive to Alicante, if you work there, and you could just about walk to the airport (only joking).

If you find it's not to your liking, move on, but at least give it a decent try.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG
I love a decent discussion, especially a lively one, and I was never in any doubt that Carter knew Aspe better than anyone else on this thread. The points he made about trying to blend in, like leaving the shiny BMW in the garage and driving a normal Spanish car, small, white and full of dents, are perfectly valid. I've made the same mistake as Hombre, only it wasn't a BMW, but the other one. I soon learned my lesson after parking at Mercadona a few times. Two resprays later, I leave it in the garage while trying to sell it, and drive around in a small, white . . . .

A few months ago I wrote about Aspe, from what little I know of it and I was shouted down by the romantics who glamourise anything Spanish. Don't get me wrong, I love Spain, but I keep my eyes open.

Back to Aspe then. It's about as normal a Spanish inland town as can be, and if that's what you want from your life in Spain, it's perfect. And it's a doddle of a drive to Alicante, if you work there, and you could just about walk to the airport (only joking).

If you find it's not to your liking, move on, but at least give it a decent try.
i know i know, and forget the car thing, its not some expensive model, it doesnt matter..........

and Aspe? Well your description is fine. Aspe doesnt pretend to be anything other than what it is

its just not for us thats all, but we needed to move SOMEWHERE just to get over here. Anyway, its all part of our adventure and it baffles me why some people here seem to be losing sleep over what WE are doing!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

i know i know, and forget the car thing, its not some expensive model, it doesnt matter..........

and Aspe? Well your description is fine. Aspe doesnt pretend to be anything other than what it is

its just not for us thats all, but we needed to move SOMEWHERE just to get over here. Anyway, its all part of our adventure and it baffles me why some people here seem to be losing sleep over what WE are doing!!!!!!!!

I'll say this with some trepidation, to those that know who they are and those a bit p'd off with those that know who they area (and in fact anyone else, actually ... oh, and also hoping I'm not one of them)) My mum used to say - still does, actually, knocking on 93 but mums are always mums - it's not what you say but the way in which you say it.
Some stuff is valid, but put rather bluntly. Some stuff is blunt but put nicely. Depends which you opt for. We all post on here, clearly - and apart from a very few actual trolls, which I'm only now beginning to possibly recognise, usually far later than anyone else, I believe most of us, possibly all in their own way, try to answer queries to the best of our ability. Sure there are sometimes bits of banter, or sarcasm, wouldn't there be in any conversation? But for myself I feel if we are here we (a) should accept that by posting we may get replies we don't like and (b) should write our posts as if we were face to face with the person/people we're addressing. That way we can't so easily hide behind the shelter of the pixels.
End of attempted mediation! Deposits olive branches for future use, scuttles off stage left.....................
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

Adding to Fiona's post, if there aren't any olives on those branches, I have some in my kitchen. Maybe I bring them out now, you bring out a bottle of manzanilla (or whatever) and we all have early tapas? (and in case any one starts, yes I know it's only just past breakfast-time....)
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fionamw
(b) should write our posts as if we were face to face with the person/people we're addressing. That way we can't so easily hide behind the shelter of the pixels.
What an excellent piece of advice!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
What an excellent piece of advice!
why thank you I have my moments
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

Reading too quickly, I first read Fiona's post as saying "hiding behind pixies" - which also sounds like very good advice to me.....
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Triana
Reading too quickly, I first read Fiona's post as saying "hiding behind pixies" - which also sounds like very good advice to me.....
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:53 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Can I ask please why some people love to take the p**s of others when they need help.

Always the same names who like to put their useless crap forward.

You lot know who you are so just leave us alone.
To those who know what we are going on about thankyou and some of the pms have been very useful and we shall be following them up.

Just want to say we both agree about that, or the benefit of anyone else reading. This forum seems to have a few people whose sole job is to wind people up and take the pi**.

We very much appreciate any help and advice from those who want to give it but if youre one of the lonely saddoes spending all day inside on your computer, despite how wonderful you say your lives are, thinking about taking the p**** just forget it.

Now ive got that off my chest, thanks to the genuine people who have offered help, we are on the case.
As these posts were put on after my post I assume you are referring to me as it can`t possible be Rosemary.
She is one of the most respected members of the forum and always posts excellent advice and help.

I was not taking the piss, just putting things into perspective of your whinges about a five minute drive to pick the kids up from school.
With two of you working from home, no driving to and from work and working the hours that suit you, this is a minor problem and if that upsets you so much I would give up on Spain now, because things are going to get a lot tougher than this before they get better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.