Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here?

Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go from here?

but they were also saying that people driving foreign cars in general aswell as those in hire cars were being targeted....there are plenty of Spaniards driving round in flash cars !

Originally Posted by noelrosie
I seem to remember that an expat couple in Moraira were targeted by robbers a few years ago, tied up, tortured, that sort of thing, (possibly even murdered, but as I say, I don't remember and don't have time at the moment to trawl through the back issues of Costa Blanca News), and it was suggested that it was because they drove around town in a flashy foreign convertible car, thus showing to everyone that they 'had money'.
I think it is being suggested that you drive a clapped-out, beat-up car like most of the Spaniards in order to 'blend in'
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

Paintermujer, before I make a suggestion, I should say that I don't have children so what I'm about to suggest may not suit. I believe a month is sufficient time in which to know for sure that you want to move. It's not a question of not having made friends yet, it's the simple fact that the location doesn't suit. However many friends you make, the location issues won't go away. So, could you get out of your rental agreement, bung your stuff in storage (sorry bears!), take your daughter out of school and set off on an adventure to the Valencian area. You could spend time in short-term rentals or even some nice small hotels (with your level of Spanish you should be able to negotiate some good deals given the economic climate and time of year) and try a few places until you find where you want to be, maybe aiming to be settled by Easter. I know your daughter would miss some school (but perhaps it was always going to be a transitional year for her?) but at her age does that really matter? She would be part of your family adventure, part of the search. Like a gap-year really. You could home-school her until you find the right school. The only downfall I can see is who will she play with until she goes to school? Perhaps as you move around, you would be able to find some activities which she could go to outside school hours to meet others? sorry if this is a stupid idea, Triana
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember that an expat couple in Moraira were targeted by robbers a few years ago, tied up, tortured, that sort of thing, (possibly even murdered, but as I say, I don't remember and don't have time at the moment to trawl through the back issues of Costa Blanca News), and it was suggested that it was because they drove around town in a flashy foreign convertible car, thus showing to everyone that they 'had money'.
I think it is being suggested that you drive a clapped-out, beat-up car like most of the Spaniards in order to 'blend in'
A couple of years ago, a vicious, Albanian gang of armed robbers were operating in the area. I can remember three of their attacks, in Moraira, Quesada and San Miguel. The victims concerned were extremely wealthy, the one in Moraira was a well-known English motor trader, the ones in Quesada and San Miguel were Spanish property developers.

I don't remember why, but I had seen all three of them driving around in their cars, two Rolls Royces and a Bentley. It wouldn't have been difficult for the gang to have traced their homes, either by following them, or just asking around and looking in the phone book.

The gang were arrested around a year ago, after a special effort by the Guardia Civil.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triana
Paintermujer, before I make a suggestion, I should say that I don't have children so what I'm about to suggest may not suit. I believe a month is sufficient time in which to know for sure that you want to move. It's not a question of not having made friends yet, it's the simple fact that the location doesn't suit. However many friends you make, the location issues won't go away. So, could you get out of your rental agreement, bung your stuff in storage (sorry bears!), take your daughter out of school and set off on an adventure to the Valencian area. You could spend time in short-term rentals or even some nice small hotels (with your level of Spanish you should be able to negotiate some good deals given the economic climate and time of year) and try a few places until you find where you want to be, maybe aiming to be settled by Easter. I know your daughter would miss some school (but perhaps it was always going to be a transitional year for her?) but at her age does that really matter? She would be part of your family adventure, part of the search. Like a gap-year really. You could home-school her until you find the right school. The only downfall I can see is who will she play with until she goes to school? Perhaps as you move around, you would be able to find some activities which she could go to outside school hours to meet others? sorry if this is a stupid idea, Triana
Food for thought.

Thankyou for understanding our dilemma and it is exactly as you say.

The location is useless to us.Four times today we will have gone to the school and back.36 miles in one day.And we are trying to work in the meantime.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Our car isnt flash.Just a BMW in good condition-in fact the previous owner ironically lived only 20 from where we are now.

There are so many cars like ours here that I have on more than one occassion tried getting into someone elses car.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Our car isnt flash.Just a BMW in good condition-in fact the previous owner ironically lived only 20 from where we are now.

There are so many cars like ours here that I have on more than one occassion tried getting into someone elses car.
Yes and in my experience Spanish people love their flashy cars and will spend a good proportion of their salary on them. They are not like the French who will happily drive around in an old banger even if they could afford a new one.

On the news the other day it said the most common saloon car in Spain is the Audi A4
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

Food for thought.

Thankyou for understanding our dilemma and it is exactly as you say.

The location is useless to us.Four times today we will have gone to the school and back.36 miles in one day.And we are trying to work in the meantime.
This back in forth to school is a nuisance when you live in the campo. When we moved here first couldn't even consider looking for a job because of the school hours and always having to be around to collect at 12.30, return at 3.30 then collect again at 5. Then there was the phone calls from the school to bring in changes of clothes if they had fallen over, collect if they were sick, or bring books that had been left at home. Think they assume that the husband goes out to work and the mother stays at home and has nothing else to do.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hondon Rock n Roll
This back in forth to school is a nuisance when you live in the campo. When we moved here first couldn't even consider looking for a job because of the school hours and always having to be around to collect at 12.30, return at 3.30 then collect again at 5. Then there was the phone calls from the school to bring in changes of clothes if they had fallen over, collect if they were sick, or bring books that had been left at home. Think they assume that the husband goes out to work and the mother stays at home and has nothing else to do.
tell me about it!!!!!!

today was our 1st day of doing just that, and what a pain in the ass it is!

if the estate agent had been honest and the house REALLY WAS 2 kms from the town AND NOT 7KMS FROM THE TOWN it wouldnt be so bad!!!! and god, r we having problems with the estate agent!!!!!!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:03 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Folks, it's been a month, come back in a year's time and tell us about it.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

And what is a normal car?????
A car you can abandon pretty much anywhere without having to worry about the extra dents or scratches on your return.

Originally Posted by painterhombre
tell me about it!!!!!!

today was our 1st day of doing just that, and what a pain in the ass it is!

if the estate agent had been honest and the house REALLY WAS 2 kms from the town AND NOT 7KMS FROM THE TOWN it wouldnt be so bad!!!! and god, r we having problems with the estate agent!!!!!!
I don't think you can put the entire blame on the agent. 7km ain't far - five or six minutes by car? You're your own boss, so rearrange your day around the school. Use your time better - buy the milk at the same time. Tell your staff exactly what hours you work and what hours to avoid. Get a netbook and work from the coffee shop next to the school. And there's two of you - so share the driving whilst the other works! Rent an office next to the school - bet everywhere's available at half price right now - and avoid the travelling altogether.

You claim you're "committed and hardworking people" - if so prove it and at least try to stick it out for, I don't know, a second or third day?

Be creative, people... don't just take the kid out of school and run away at the first sign of trouble...
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carter71
A car you can abandon pretty much anywhere without having to worry about the extra dents or scratches on your return.

I don't think you can put the entire blame on the agent. 7km ain't far - five or six minutes by car? You're your own boss, so rearrange your day around the school. Use your time better - buy the milk at the same time. Tell your staff exactly what hours you work and what hours to avoid. Get a netbook and work from the coffee shop next to the school. And there's two of you - so share the driving whilst the other works! Rent an office next to the school - bet everywhere's available at half price right now - and avoid the travelling altogether.

You claim you're "committed and hardworking people" - if so prove it and at least try to stick it out for, I don't know, a second or third day?

Be creative, people... don't just take the kid out of school and run away at the first sign of trouble...
Tin hats, people...
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:25 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

It is hard to find the right place to live - I suppose when you don't have children you don't have the worry about schools and friends for them.

I think we rushed too quick to sign up a place to rent. We live in a house which is OK. It's not really to my liking and the bedrooms are too small. It was the best of the bunch that we saw. But we felt we were running against time. With hindsight I wish that we took a bit longer to find a place to live.

It is about 4km to school which I have to drive (I have a gas guzzling car too). There is a school a hop skip and a jump from our house but there were no places. Had I known there were no places I wouldn't of moved here as it was one of the deciding factors. (Note to self : check out there are places at schools before moving)

So problem we now have is that my children's friends don't live nearby but on the other side of town or in the centre of town which is not great. If we moved into the town or the other side, they would have tons of friends on their doorstop. Around here there are just a few children here. (Note to self again : check out where there are kids)

We would love to move somewhere else but feel that it would uproot the kids again. Just couldn't bear to do that to them, although I have just spent 3 hours searching on the internet). Such a dilemma!!!

Anyway, I would recommend that you find a place that you are all happy with, the sooner the better. So get out and have a good long look around.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

carter 71: you're as hard as your movie namesake.

painterhombre: I'm a big believer in making lists. Things like max distance to town/school should be on there, along with all the other stuffs that make life a little more pleasant. Of course I'm partial to Gandia, as having traveled around the area, it ticked all the boxes. Even things like bike lanes were on my list...and here they are! Also I didn't want somewhere too touristic during the summer period, and Gandia, because it's separated from the beach by 3 km, remains fairly untouched during this time. A simple working Spanish town without too much foreign influx.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
It is hard to find the right place to live - I suppose when you don't have children you don't have the worry about schools and friends for them. <snip>
We have a similar scenario - chose a campo house not really taking into account how much driving would be involved nor how few kids there were for nipper to play with. However (and I accept this is a somewhat selfish viewpoint) I feel kids are very adaptable, and I so very much want him to have a free, country based lifestyle that I'm prepared for not only the driving but the occasional 'why can't I go round to so-and-so's' or 'why can't x y or z come around'. The running around picking pomegranates, going on adventures with the dog without any fear of what he's doing etc., more than make up for that. Time's coming, though, with our decision to move schools, that we'll have to bite the bullet & get nearer other people

littlelambfound: a big yes to lists. Everyone in the family. Of course parents have the final say, but I think the general idea works.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by carter71

oh yeah thanks mr perfect.

I bet in reality you actually live in a 3 bed semi in manchester and this is your sort of fantasy, pretending you live here eh?

we'll be fine, dont worry about us, and stop commenting on our life and what we should and shouldnt do. I am sure your life is perfect and you always make the right decision and each day goes without hiccup and with military precision.

go away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.