Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do we go from here?

Been in Spain for 4 weeks now and we have no regrets at all.

Life is great.

But where we live is not perfect for us.

Lots of time is spent driving to and from school-thought this would be rectified partly by the comedor only to find out there is a huge waiting list so more driving every day.

OH wants to be nearer the sea and where more is going on.

Daughter wants a goat but she needs friends around her which we dont have here in the semi campo.

Mains water would be nice.

Just cant get parked in our local town.

Daughter is loving school and we dont want to keep moving her-its just not fair.Her school is great and she is the only foreign child there-I like that in a school.

We have to move before things become too settled as it will make it harder.

Thing is we just dont know where to go.

I personally love it nearer to Valencia city.

We say we are 50% of the way to where we are going-the trauma of leaving the UK has at least passed and we are in Spain now which should make it easier to find the area we are going to settle in.

But we dont know where to start.it will probably be renting with a purchase later on.

Any views on Gandia,Oliva or even Calpe or anywhere else for that matter but please not an area with too many brits.

The views where we live are stunning but I think a bit more movement around us would be nice but not to be in the thick of it-I still like a kind of campo feel but would like a postman maybe and know that emergency services could at least find us if necessary.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go from here?

sounds a mirror image of what we experienced when we moved to Spain nearly 7 years ago !!!

Gandia is lovely, busy place and the beach is BEAUUUTIFUL !!! very busy in the Summer with Spanish tourists

but there are plenty of small villages 10 mins drive or so that would probably suit your needs. We lived in Marxuquera for a year probably similar to where you are now, stunning views, had a great flat plot, 5 bed villa with pool, great, expect the driving back and forth was a pain and son had no friends around

anyway, we moved literally 5 mins into a small village and it was great, totally different, liek you say, mains water, a postman, local shops and school you could walk to........

will pm you with a bit more info

Originally Posted by paintermujer

Life is great.

Lots of time is spent driving to and from school-thought this would be rectified partly by the comedor only to find out there is a huge waiting list so more driving every day.

Daughter wants a goat but she needs friends around her which we dont have here in the semi campo.

Daughter is loving school and we dont want to keep moving her-its just not fair.Her school is great and she is the only foreign child there-I like that in a school.

We say we are 50% of the way to where we are going-the trauma of leaving the UK has at least passed and we are in Spain now which should make it easier to find the area we are going to settle in.

But we dont know where to start.it will probably be renting with a purchase later on.

Any views on Gandia,Oliva or even Calpe or anywhere else for that matter but please not an area with too many brits.

The views where we live are stunning but I think a bit more movement around us would be nice but not to be in the thick of it-I still like a kind of campo feel but would like a postman maybe and know that emergency services could at least find us if necessary.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
sounds a mirror image of what we experienced when we moved to Spain nearly 7 years ago !!!

Gandia is lovely, busy place and the beach is BEAUUUTIFUL !!! very busy in the Summer with Spanish tourists

but there are plenty of small villages 10 mins drive or so that would probably suit your needs. We lived in Marxuquera for a year probably similar to where you are now, stunning views, had a great flat plot, 5 bed villa with pool, great, expect the driving back and forth was a pain and son had no friends around

anyway, we moved literally 5 mins into a small village and it was great, totally different, liek you say, mains water, a postman, local shops and school you could walk to........

will pm you with a bit more info
Thanks.

I have pmed you.

Its good to know that other people have come across the issues we are facing at the mo.

I think the issue with our daughter having no friends near us is one of the main ones.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I have pmed you.

Its good to know that other people have come across the issues we are facing at the mo.

I think the issue with our daughter having no friends near us is one of the main ones.
Gandia is indeed lovely. Someone recommended it to me before I bought, but I only went to the beach - which is also lovely, never discovered the town until later on. It is one of my favourite places.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:12 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Life is great.

Any ideas?

Hi Amanda
We dont live in Spain as yet so im sorry we cant help but we have visited a few places there
Get in touch with montgomail - she has a place in Denia - its lovely there
Get in touch with Lynnxa - she is in Javea - which is also lovely
and for Oliva - which i must say i fell in love with get in touch with Mitzyboy

they will probably be the best people to talk to as they are there - or in Jules case - semi there

Good luck in your search hun - love to you both
Sam xxxxx

Last edited by Sam Greenfield; Sep 30th 2009 at 10:10 am.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi Guy
We dont live in Spain as yet so im sorry we cant help but we have visited a few places there

they will probably be the best people to talk to as they are there - or in Jules case - semi there
Sam xxxxx

Neither here or there - sounds about right!

Forgot to mention, there was an earthquake in Gandia last night.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Gandia is nice for sure. Theres quite a few small villages dotted around the area as well, worth coming and having a good look around.

Oliva, I also like. Its a working town. Quite busy. I wouldnt advise living in the main town unless you like noise, but there are a lot of nice properties between Oliva Town and the playa. Good market every Friday, lots of nice restaurants dotted around, and of course we have a marvellous beach area
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:20 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Neither here or there - sounds about right!

Forgot to mention, there was an earthquake in Gandia last night.
I know - i hope mi house is still on the hill

MITTTTTTTTTTTTTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYY
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:50 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi Guy

Sam xxxxx
there might be too many Brits in Javea at the moment

I don't think that's going to be for much longer though
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
there might be too many Brits in Javea at the moment

I don't think that's going to be for much longer though
Come on, ´fess up - what did you do?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Come on, ´fess up - what did you do?
taught them all to speak spanish so they can go live in the middle of nowhere

seriously, I feel a bit guilty

I predited a year or so back on some forum or other that it would be a viscious circle around here

some Brits were going back - so there'd be less to support the 'brit' economy - so more would go back - so there'd be less to support the 'brit' economy -
- - so more would go back - so there'd be less to support the 'brit' economy

etc...............................

it's coming true

every day I'm hearing of at least one - often 'well-established' - brit owned business in this town closing or about to

& a lot are using 'savings' to try & keep open

it's not just brits though

I think I mentioned before that for the first time in 10 years more spanish kids registered for school in September in the Valencian Comminity than foreigners - the education minister is putting it down to foreigners going
'home'

sadly a lot of long-established spanish businesses are going to the wall, too
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

We are now seriously considering moving to the outskirts of Valencia city.

We love the city and all that is around it.And although we dont know it fantastically well we at least do know it.

We need to keep a balance of what we all need.

A bit of a campo feel for me and Lucie and the townie feel for OH.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

We are now seriously considering moving to the outskirts of Valencia city.

We love the city and all that is around it.And although we dont know it fantastically well we at least do know it.

We need to keep a balance of what we all need.

A bit of a campo feel for me and Lucie and the townie feel for OH.
Hi Amanda,

I think you've made your decision too quickly. Apart from perhaps the parking (just triple park on the roundabouts like the locals!) the area you're in now meets all of your needs, you're just in the wrong house.

Take your time to get to know where you're living before ruling it out or you could be on the move again. Plenty of homes near Valencia without water or a postman, and plenty in Aspe that have.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carter71
Hi Amanda,

I think you've made your decision too quickly. Apart from perhaps the parking (just triple park on the roundabouts like the locals!) the area you're in now meets all of your needs, you're just in the wrong house.

Take your time to get to know where you're living before ruling it out or you could be on the move again. Plenty of homes near Valencia without water or a postman, and plenty in Aspe that have.
Yes,I understand absolutely what youre saying.

The parking and water and the postman are minor issues really and you do get used to it.

But sometimes a place just lacks that something.

We are very happy in Spain.Yes, we have had teething problems, the weather being one of them but weather is weather and its not spains fault.

The school travelling issue is quite major for us.

I know others on here understand what I mean.

We just dont feel weve found our place yet.Right country, wrong town.

Keep the advice coming.It is very useful to us.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

if i were go come to live in spain in the future it would be oliva, we spent some time there a few yrs ago, we loved it, yes there are brits, but its very spanish too, we are coming to pego tomoro, which is only about 5 klms from oliva inland, looks lovely, have yet to see, but maybe you could get what you want and still be quite near the sea thereabouts. I found the local people in oliva very helpful and friendly and loved the atmosphere of the old town..................good luck with that.............billy the bear is routing for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.