Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Many Are Moving To Spain ??

How Many Are Moving To Spain ??

Old May 16th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

pwblackbelt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How Many Are Moving To Spain ??

Originally Posted by jandy44
I am finding it very interesting at the momement to find that there are so many making the move.When I joined the forum there just appeared to be a handful.It will make interesting reading to follow everyone,s progress,it appears that all walks in life are on the move,so far we can congratulate at least 14 ,how many more is there ? please keep us posted

Congratulations to :

BigPete......house buying trip next week.......good luck

HimnHer...............1st week in July.............good luck

Pwblackbelt.......Last week in June...............good luck

Skippernicky....buying trip mid July...............good luck

Busters Mum....moving to Palma de Gandia.....good luck

Cornish Maid....off to Costa Blanca................good luck

Jorgi...........undecided between Spain and France.....good luck

Twyntub.......Sept.hoping to commute.................good luck

Bigbudda69........on with building his villa...........good luck

Chrisw..........waiting to sell house...................good luck

Sjrw.........moving to Sierra de Yeguas..............good luck

NzGrl........from NZ hoping to make the move......good luck

Tezra and Dylan......to join Andrew..................good luck

A big to everyone

And then of course there is ourselves,it will be interesting for everyone to post here,I have more than likely missed some one.We have all enjoyed listening to the ups and downs of everyone,s experience and look forward to all your posts,and to hear your progress...........CHEERS
Time is getting short for our move.We are selling all of our household goods. (someone just rang for our 42inch screen telly) We have a little one though that we can watch until we leave.
We will be arriving in Benalmadena 25th May to look at an apartment and check out some business premises to try and rent out.Our business will still be operating in the UK and we should be able to find work until our business becomes established over there. Things are looking good for us and we will keep everyone posted on our progress.
I feel confident that we can make a success of things wherever we go but we are still a bit nervous (who wouldn't be).
I do not believe I will be returning to the UK apart from visiting for business reasons or family.
Good luck to everyone else also. A big step for anyone.
Peter
Old May 16th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Hi jandy44,
Thank you for the kind words. I've been running my own web based business out of Budapest for the last 7 years, and each year investing my ill-gotten gains in property here. Now I have a baby, I found myself thinking back to the years (also 7 of them) spent living in Spain. Wistfully thinking, that is. The quality of life here is taking a serious dive thanks to political insecurity and good old fashioned new-rich greed. Hungarians are not famed for being the worlds happiest people (used until very recently to enjoy both the highest suicide and alcoholism rate of the Western world), but these new hardships mean that no-one smiles anymore.
I think you're right regarding waiting until the Summer season is done before taking the plunge. And like you, we are planning to rent initially. My real problem is that I need a fast and reliable Internet connection and, as it's my business, I can't really trust those agents and owners who say that the installation will be a breeze. I mean, they would say that!
Of the 9 properties we saw last month, all the owners have phoned the agents with a drop in price, and some quite considerable (one from 350,000 to 300,000) and all are very willing to negotiate...which means we'll be waiting a little longer. ¡Buena suerte! with your move.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:41 am
Just Joined

georgina is an unknown quantity at this point

Our house went on the market yesterday and our third viewer is coming this afternoon. OH going out next month and I will stay till house sold,Hopefully I will be out by July all going well.Its funny to think of so many Brits on the move to Spain. Good luck to one and all.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:51 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
Wow, so many of you!!! I'm very jealous. I shall be holiday-homing it, then in around 10 years (at a guess) spending the winters out there, thereafter, who knows...

I'll just have to bring the teabags out for lot then, won't I!
A big Hello Mrs Teapot,this is the first time Iv had chance for a little natter with you,Im sorry Iv been out this morning,did you not have some problems with your puter? damn things mine is one big prob( or the person using it) Im sorry but I very rareley drink tea,coffee for me....dont be jealous luv you never know whats around the corner...........
Old May 16th 2007, 1:55 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmorgy
Add us to your list, end of June. Cant wait, first job is to fill the fridge with beers, second is to hoover the pool and third is to sit next to the pool and drink the beer.

Best of luck to all of those making the right move.
congratulations I hope you have a wonderfull time,it certainly sounds like your going to give it your best shot anyway The very best of luck...
Old May 16th 2007, 2:05 pm
Young at heart

Originally Posted by HimnHer
Anyway glad you did it and keep your ideas flowing Jandy because obviously by the replies everyone is enjoying this thread............Well done!
HimnHer (and son)!
Thank you very much for your kind comments,I never thought it would receive the response that it has Its amazing where everyone has come from,and so many are moving so soon,the world is certainly getting smaller,it just makes one wonder what blighty will be like in a few years to come
Old May 16th 2007, 3:16 pm
Young at heart

Originally Posted by pwblackbelt
I feel confident that we can make a success of things wherever we go but we are still a bit nervous (who wouldn't be).
I do not believe I will be returning to the UK apart from visiting for business reasons or family.
Peter
Hello Peter,a big congratulationsto you,its very exciting and you are bound to be a bit nervous,but you have the confidence so go for it.I really hope that your business is a great success( any clues to what it is ).We are hoping to start a business when we move down,not quite sure what yet,we have a few ideas mulling around,I think we will be better deciding when we are living there.We just bought a new tv a couple of weeks ago(needs must )we will take it though,even though we will rent initially.
I expect you have loads to do with your impending move so close,I wish you a safe journey,please keep us updated.GOOD LUCK
Old May 16th 2007, 3:24 pm
Young at heart

Originally Posted by georgina
Our house went on the market yesterday and our third viewer is coming this afternoon. OH going out next month and I will stay till house sold,Hopefully I will be out by July all going well.Its funny to think of so many Brits on the move to Spain. Good luck to one and all.
Hello Georgina,thank you for your post,I hope that you have some good luck with the sale of your house,it would be wonderfull if you have a quick sale and you can join the other half,have you a place in Spain to move to?or is the hubby off to sort that out,where abouts are you moving to.It is amazing how many are going, and a lot are off very soon.I hope it all works out for you,please keep posting.............
Old May 16th 2007, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwblackbelt
Time is getting short for our move.We are selling all of our household goods. (someone just rang for our 42inch screen telly) We have a little one though that we can watch until we leave.
We will be arriving in Benalmadena 25th May to look at an apartment and check out some business premises to try and rent out.Our business will still be operating in the UK and we should be able to find work until our business becomes established over there. Things are looking good for us and we will keep everyone posted on our progress.
Peter
Hi Peter,
Wow! Things seem very close now, don't they!?
It sounds like you've got yourselves very well organised and sorted, both business wise and accommodation wise, and I wish you all the very best of luck in your new life and new venture
Of course you're bound to be nervous at times, but I'm sure it won't be long before you're all enjoying your new way of life.
You sound really positive, so you're halfway there already.

I do hope you can get your (?) karate business up and running soon out here - it certainly seemed to generate a fair bit of interest on here when you posted about it, so let's hope there are plenty more like minded people in the area you choose to settle.
(I think I'm right in saying it was karate, and not kick-boxing, aren't I?? I remember reading with particular interest about your sucess with Autistic children - which is MY particular interest! Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to do a search for the thread - so I just hope I've got the right sport!? )

Anyway, lots of luck and good wishes to you for your imminent move
Sam.
Old May 16th 2007, 5:24 pm
Young at heart

Hello Peter,a big congratulationsto you,its very exciting and you are bound to be a bit nervous,but you have the confidence so go for it.I really hope that your business is a great success( any clues to what it is ).We are hoping to start a business when we move down,not quite sure what yet,we have a few ideas mulling around,I think we will be better deciding when we are living there.We just bought a new tv a couple of weeks ago(needs must )we will take it though,even though we will rent initially.
I expect you have loads to do with your impending move so close,I wish you a safe journey,please keep us updated.GOOD LUCK
Hi again Peter,sorry I must apologize,Iv just been for a walk with George and its cleared my fuzzy head,I recall asking you before about your business,your username should have jolted my memory,its not my kind of sport but I hope all goes well for you.
Old May 16th 2007, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

valandgef is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jandy,
Thanks for your kind words. We bought our apartment 18 months ago with the plan to retire there in 3 years, but we have just decided to take early retirement now to rest our weary bones in the sunshine!! I hope everyone's house sales go through ok, ours has been very bumpy since Christmas!! Our buyer has lost two buyers and now is now on her third so we have everything crossed that it will go through. Have already done the de-cluttering bit, the boot sales etc and are living with just the minimum here in the UK. Then we will put our dog & personal belongings into the car & we are off. Haven't decided which route we are taking yet though!

It's a great thread and I love hearing about everyone's plans!!
Good luck everyone
Val
Old May 16th 2007, 6:31 pm
Young at heart

Originally Posted by valandgef
Hi Jandy,
Then we will put our dog & personal belongings into the car & we are off. Haven't decided which route we are taking yet though!

It's a great thread and I love hearing about everyone's plans!!
Good luck everyone
Val
Hi Val,I really hope that you have some luck with the sale of your house,Im dreading all the messing about when ours goes on the market
Im sure you are looking forward to your retirement,it sounds as if you are about ready for the move.
Have you thought about going via the tunnel,I think thats the route we will take,have you drove down before? Its a long drive but very scenic,I used to drive down a lot,Im looking forward to the trip again.
I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that you can be on your way soon.............
Old May 16th 2007, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

valandgef is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Val,I really hope that you have some luck with the sale of your house,Im dreading all the messing about when ours goes on the market
Im sure you are looking forward to your retirement,it sounds as if you are about ready for the move.
Have you thought about going via the tunnel,I think thats the route we will take,have you drove down before? Its a long drive but very scenic,I used to drive down a lot,Im looking forward to the trip again.
I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that you can be on your way soon.............
Hi Jandy,
No, we have not driven down before, always taken advantage of cheap Jet2.com and a hire car at other end! The tunnel was our first idea, of course we would have a full days travelling to get to the tunnel from here (Newcastle upon Tyne) and then take a couple of days from France to the apartment (with overnight stays in pet friendly hotels) after all we are in no hurry! We have also looked at Santander ferry with kennels for our Nikki, but it's 20 hours on the ferry, not sure how she would handle that.. My OH loves long car journeys, but I dislike them!

When we get a date for move, then we will have to decide.
Val
Old May 16th 2007, 8:11 pm
Young at heart

Originally Posted by valandgef
Hi Jandy,
No, we have not driven down before, always taken advantage of cheap Jet2.com and a hire car at other end! The tunnel was our first idea, of course we would have a full days travelling to get to the tunnel from here (Newcastle upon Tyne) and then take a couple of days from France to the apartment (with overnight stays in pet friendly hotels) after all we are in no hurry! We have also looked at Santander ferry with kennels for our Nikki, but it's 20 hours on the ferry, not sure how she would handle that.. My OH loves long car journeys, but I dislike them!

When we get a date for move, then we will have to decide.
Val
Myself I will opt for the tunnel,then our George wont have to be parted at all,once in France it is so very different from here,the roads are a lot less conjested and there are huge lay-by,s most equipped with facilities even picnic tables,the roads are very good and it is easy driving,your hubby would love the journey.You could take your time and plan a night or two in hotels and maybe take in a bit of sight seeing along the way,the scenary is so beautiful and it would be a shame to miss the opportunity of exploring a little of France.Also along the way you will find some nice walks for your Nikki,I will look at the routes we used to use ,we didnt use a lot of the motorways,this saves on the tolls,the national roads are brilliant,very quiet.As I recall I used to love to see the fields upon fields of sunflowers,and you drive through some quaint little villages,honestly I think you would love it,hey You could make a stop at Wakefield for a cup of cha.......
Old May 17th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

pwblackbelt is on a distinguished road

Hi Thanks for that. We run a martial arts school in the UK (which will keep running) so we want to open a self defence and personal development academy for kids and adults in the Costa Del Sol.We will also offer personal training using kickboxing as a fitness tool.
When we land at the end of June we will probably get jobs as door supervisors at night clubs just to have money coming in while we find suitable premises for our academy.
While operating in the UK I was award the "School owner of the year" for running a successful business so hopefully I will be able to use the same business systems to establish a business in Spain.
I am really looking forward to the challenge of starting from scratch again.
What type of business would you be looking for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.