Goodbye Sky TV

Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
All too technical for me, I am struggling with the problem of getting Sky "on demand" at home so no use me chipping in on solutions. I would say that however that this is resolved within the community as a whole; it should be discussed and a decision made together. This will hopefully avoid too many ugly dishes although it will need volunteers to site the dish. Also could reduce costs if several people approach the supplier/server to install. I realise that not all CE property owners are within a community but if near enough could they "latch on" - does that make sense ? See....I know nothing !

Mel
A bigger dish would be quite expensive - may need stronger brackets cos of the wind, and need voting on = time taken like everything we need to change via the meetings. The Spanish may not feel they want to pay for this. Also reading this thread it seems that they will be more restrictive on the 'fingerprint' of reception... focussing it geographically on the UK residents. I don't know the situation but it may be that even a big dish may not pick up a good signal.

Last year we invested in a Humax freesat box - excellent product, replicates Sky+ with pause rewind etc of live broadcasts. Can record more than 1 channel etc. I'm delighted with it. It may be that it is a wasted investment in a few months time if we cant get a signal, or a bigger satellite dish

Filmon is a great idea, but would cost more as I 'pay as you go' for internet....

Jon
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
A bigger dish would be quite expensive - may need stronger brackets cos of the wind, and need voting on = time taken like everything we need to change via the meetings. The Spanish may not feel they want to pay for this. Also reading this thread it seems that they will be more restrictive on the 'fingerprint' of reception... focussing it geographically on the UK residents. I don't know the situation but it may be that even a big dish may not pick up a good signal.

Last year we invested in a Humax freesat box - excellent product, replicates Sky+ with pause rewind etc of live broadcasts. Can record more than 1 channel etc. I'm delighted with it. It may be that it is a wasted investment in a few months time if we cant get a signal, or a bigger satellite dish

Filmon is a great idea, but would cost more as I 'pay as you go' for internet....

Jon
Jon
We will obviously have to wait and see what the affect of the next satellite changes has before jumping, but ISTR that the question of WiFi for Marina Esuri was once raised at the intercommunity meeting (it was raised at an M7 meeting too, but shelved for more costings). I wonder if this is a way to go - either by a satellite or by community renting of a 'big pipe' from Telefonica to a local relay point. If a pay-by-use model could be devised then I'm sure it would have support of residents and non-residents alike, the Spanish love their internet too. Perhaps you could mention it to Elizabet if you see her :-)
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Jon
We will obviously have to wait and see what the affect of the next satellite changes has before jumping, but ISTR that the question of WiFi for Marina Esuri was once raised at the intercommunity meeting (it was raised at an M7 meeting too, but shelved for more costings). I wonder if this is a way to go - either by a satellite or by community renting of a 'big pipe' from Telefonica to a local relay point. If a pay-by-use model could be devised then I'm sure it would have support of residents and non-residents alike, the Spanish love their internet too. Perhaps you could mention it to Elizabet if you see her :-)
Hi Mike We are planning a lunch - I will ask her then.

But I cringe at the thought of getting this through, I find the process of approval very cumbersome here. In fact, as you know, under Spanish law, it is possible for one solitary person to object to certain changes, and win out even though the majority vote it in.

Also this may be a sledgehamer approach to have broadband internet to get UKTV.... I dont think all residents would go for it. It sounds expensive to install, also if there is individual charging for usage, anyway, I think I would prefer to stick with my dongle and PAYG (sorry). I am delighted with it I get all I need: Skype, Email, Surfing and filmon streams OK. Outside of that I am not a power user. Others may already have a contract or another arrangement to get internet and wont want this solution.

Gut feel - I dont see this happening - I wont be holding my breath for that to get approved... but I will ask over our lunch.

Jon
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

I think I would prefer to stick with my dongle and PAYG (sorry). I am delighted with it I get all I need: Skype, Email, Surfing and filmon streams OK. Outside of that I am not a power user.

Jon
Jon,
Can I ask what dongle you use? We currently use an Orange PAYG dongle which gives 2GB for 35 euros a month. The filmon stream would soon eat that 2GB limit pretty quickly. I'm also looking at the Carrefour PAYG offering which operates over the Orange network. It costs 1 euro a day for 100MB per day
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

But I cringe at the thought of getting this through, I find the process of approval very cumbersome here. In fact, as you know, under Spanish law, it is possible for one solitary person to object to certain changes, and win out even though the majority vote it in.

Also this may be a sledgehamer approach to have broadband internet to get UKTV.... I dont think all residents would go for it. It sounds expensive to install, also if there is individual charging for usage, anyway, I think I would prefer to stick with my dongle and PAYG (sorry). I am delighted with it I get all I need: Skype, Email, Surfing and filmon streams OK. Outside of that I am not a power user. Others may already have a contract or another arrangement to get internet and wont want this solution.

Gut feel - I dont see this happening - I wont be holding my breath for that to get approved... but I will ask over our lunch.

Jon
Hi Jon
Your requirements are obviously quite different to ours.
We like to watch quite a lot of UK TV - keeping up with soaps etc (how sad) when we are in CE - and SkyTV is also a bit of a selling point for potential guests and renters. We are wondering what to do if we can no longer get satellite TV. The rental of a dedicated Telefonica broadband line for IPTV for non-residents does seem an expensive option - especially as we are at the end of the line and probably wouldn't get sufficient bandwidth or capacity for live TV streaming. I have G3 dongle and MiFi hotspot for internet use but this would also be far too slow and expensive for IPTV - even if we were to get 4G which might give the bandwidth but would be expensive and the Gb limit would soon be used up. Iberbanda might be an option but to get the bandwidth one seems to need to have an expensive monthly package, which is not economically attractive for visiting owners.
All the suggestions on the Spain forums seem to lean towards IPTV over broadband - I would love to know if this would be workable down here in the sticks - there doesn't seem to be the demand to encourage much telecom development in this corner of Andalucia. I just thought that the cost of a satellite relay or a big broadband 'pipe' if spread across sufficient subscribers might be economically viable.

PS: The reason I suggested that a pay-as-you-use scheme might be more attractive is that it could be entirely volontary and those who didn't want to subscribe would not need to pay and should therefore have no need to oppose. If it were to be funded from the community charges I could see the difficulties getting that through a vote!

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 15th 2013 at 11:50 am.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon
We like to watch quite a lot of UK TV - keeping up with soaps etc (how sad) when we are in CE - and SkyTV is also a bit of a selling point for potential guests and renters. We are wondering what to do if we can no longer get satellite TV. The rental of a dedicated Telefonica broadband line for IPTV for non-residents does seem an expensive option - especially as we are at the end of the line and probably wouldn't get sufficient bandwidth or capacity for live TV streaming. I have G3 dongle and MiFi hotspot for internet use but this would also be far too slow and expensive for IPTV - even if we were to get 4G which might give the bandwidth but would be expensive and the Gb limit would soon be used up. Iberbanda might be an option but to get the bandwidth one seems to need to have an expensive monthly package, which is not economically attractive for visiting owners.
All the suggestions on the Spain forums seem to lean towards IPTV over broadband - I would love to know if this would be workable down here in the sticks - there doesn't seem to be the demand to encourage much telecom development in this corner of Andalucia. I just thought that the cost of a satellite relay or a big broadband 'pipe' if spread across sufficient subscribers might be economically viable.

PS: The reason I suggested that a pay-as-you-use scheme might be more attractive is that it could be entirely volontary and those who didn't want to subscribe would not need to pay and should therefore have no need to oppose. If it were to be funded from the community charges I could see the difficulties getting that through a vote!
sounds like an opportunity for someone with a little bit of money investing in the infrastructure and providing this on a subscription basis using Wi-Fi

Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverdic
Jon,
Can I ask what dongle you use? We currently use an Orange PAYG dongle which gives 2GB for 35 euros a month. The filmon stream would soon eat that 2GB limit pretty quickly. I'm also looking at the Carrefour PAYG offering which operates over the Orange network. It costs 1 euro a day for 100MB per day
Last year I was using the Carrefour 3gb/mnth for €25 with good results

http://www.carrefour.es/telecom/inte...-mensual-3-gb/
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Last year I was using the Carrefour 3gb/mnth for €25 with good results

http://www.carrefour.es/telecom/inte...-mensual-3-gb/
Like everyone else, I am looking at IPTV alternatives to the proposed Satellite changes later this year but I'm pretty sure 3GB will not be enough for typical evening viewing. This is why I think we will need to bite the bullet and re-install a land line we took out a couple of years ago and then enable broadband using the landline. We have reasonable success with our dongle today on Orange but we do see a significant degradation of service in the summer when the place fills up. (Isla Canela).
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You can more or less forget about the possibility of watching IPTV on any sort of Mobile connection unless you have an unlimited data plan.

Most IPTV suppliers say you need a 3mb/s connection for their standard definition service (which while acceptable is usually lower quality than normal SD TV.

On a good 3mb connection you will be lucky to get better than 300k bytes/sec which works out at about one hour of TV for each gb of data.

So, a 3gb plan will give about three hours of TV per month.

You will get more with a very basic option like Filmon but the quality is pretty poor on anything bigger than a laptop.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:23 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by cleverdic
Jon,
Hi

I use the TMN dongle...

Thanks to a thread alandeve started. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=alandeve

I travel a lot in Europe and for someone with my personal usage - it is personally the best system I have used.

I didnt know that there were any limits - probably as I am not a heavy user - and I thought it was just 1euro/hr. I certainly have never hit any limits. I also thought that the 3g technology itself was a limiter on internet speeds so 'heavy users' would find it too slow.

It works great for all I need to do today (email, surfing and Skype - filmon seems to work fine as well - but I havent tried more than 5 mins) ..... and this thread concerns me that it wont be sufficient if/when Freesat goes down.

If its 1euro/hr unlimited, I will be happy(er) as it remains a good option, though cost will go up and I will lose my excellent freesat box.

TMN also have (apparently) a new 4g dongle - super fast that may be worth investigating closer to the time.

By chance I was in the library in VRSA and just before you get there (same side of the road) - there is a computer shop which is a vodaphone/TMN agent - and the guy there speaks perfect English. So we can go there and ask him about the new technology.

Sorry I cant be more specific - as I don't understand all the technology....

Jon
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Positive

Hi Jon

Hi Mike

This is my problem. Getting things done through the committee process - especially here with all the Spanish laws - is not easy. With internet access we all have a different profile, and so the up front cost that normally we would all share, would impact different people in different ways. Also some people have already signed monthly contracts for broadband, and may not want to change.

Also in my case I'm not up to date with technology so things like 'mi-fi' and 'iptv' are concepts I don't understand.

My dongle seems to work for me, and I stream filmon ok in the tests I have done. Though Ive not had it on with the dongle for more than 5 mins. I don't know if my dongle has a down/upload limit, I thought it was just 1 euro for 1 hour. Unlimited. So far it has been the best internet I have seen in Europe, for my kind of usage, but I have never thought of streaming TV (filmon) till this thread came up and it seems we will lose satellite access.

If we have a payg system per community I would be OK with that as long as the up front costs were ok, and the payg cost was not much more than what I pay now. Unless my current set up doesn't allow me to do this.

I'm not very 'techie' so I cant really comment on usage etc. I hope that I can continue to use the dongle at the 1euro/hr rate for my future increased usage of TV, if/once Sky is down. If not I would be keen to understand the costs of a community system... as it would benefit guests and renters.

Also the TMN new 4g dongle....

What a shame that the Freesat may go down here outside the UK!

Thanks
Jon
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:50 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

When they say unlimited it usually has a limit to the amount of data you can download at full speed. After that it drops to dialup speeds which are acceptable for emails but impossible for streaming.

The speed of 3G should not be a limiting factor if you have a decent signal. My phone connects at 12mb/s download and 3.5mb/s upload most of the time. Not that that would help a lot for streaming as my 1gb monthly quota would run out after 11 minutes!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:28 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Fred James
When they say unlimited it usually has a limit to the amount of data you can download at full speed. After that it drops to dialup speeds which are acceptable for emails but impossible for streaming.

The speed of 3G should not be a limiting factor if you have a decent signal. My phone connects at 12mb/s download and 3.5mb/s upload most of the time. Not that that would help a lot for streaming as my 1gb monthly quota would run out after 11 minutes!
Thanks Fred.

Does anybody know if the 3G TMN dongle (Banda Larga) has any limits on data transferred. i.e do you pay for

1. Time online at 1 Euro per hour AND ALSO some data transfer limits AS WELL.

OR...

2 .... is it 1Euro per hour CONNECTION TIME ONLY - with no data transfer limitations?

I really hope it is number 2!

Thanks

Jon
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Fred.

Does anybody know if the 3G TMN dongle (Banda Larga) has any limits on data transferred. i.e do you pay for

1. Time online at 1 Euro per hour AND ALSO some data transfer limits AS WELL.

OR...

2 .... is it 1Euro per hour CONNECTION TIME ONLY - with no data transfer limitations?

I really hope it is number 2!

Thanks

Jon
I looked up the TMN 4G tarrif for pre-pay broadband dongle. It's quite a bit different from 3G in that there seems to be a monthly pre-pay and a number of packages. The prices below are based on a 4 month pre-pay subscription. The dongle is €69,50
As you can see the cheaper packages do have a download limit and the more expensive are unlimited. I guess we'd have to work out which was most economical for our personal usage profile. The TMN 4G map claims to have good coverage across the whole of Portugal - VRSA is specifically mentioned so the signal at CE should be Ok. Who wants to be the first adopter?

Soft €7,50 pm Speed: Up to 2GbUp ((128 after 1Gb), Traffic: 1Gb, Multi-use; €7,50 pm(optional
Regular €11,50pm Speed: Up to 5Gb (128 after 4Gb) Traffic: 4Gb Multi-use €7,50 pm
Plus €15,00pm Speed: Up to 14.4 Gb Traffic Unlimited Multi-use €15,00 pm
Hiper 4G €19,00pm Speed Up to 50Gb Traffic: Unlimited Multi-use €15,00 pm
Mega 4g €22,50pm Speed Up to 150 Gb Traffic: Unlimited Multi-Use: €15,00 per month

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 16th 2013 at 11:22 am.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Positive

I looked up the TMN 4G tarrif for pre-pay broadband dongle. It's quite a bit different from 3G in that there seems to be a monthly pre-pay and a number of packages. The prices below are based on a 4 month pre-pay subscription. The dongle is €69,50
As you can see the cheaper packages do have a download limit and the more expensive are unlimited. I guess we'd have to work out which was most economical for our personal usage profile. The TMN 4G map claims to have good coverage across the whole of Portugal - VRSA is specifically mentioned so the signal at CE should be Ok. Who wants to be the first adopter?

Soft €7,50 pm Speed: Up to 2GbUp ((128 after 1Gb), Traffic: 1Gb, Multi-use; €7,50 pm(optional
Regular €11,50pm Speed: Up to 5Gb (128 after 4Gb) Traffic: 4Gb Multi-use €7,50 pm
Plus €15,00pm Speed: Up to 14.4 Gb Traffic Unlimited Multi-use €15,00 pm
Hiper 4G €19,00pm Speed Up to 50Gb Traffic: Unlimited Multi-use €15,00 pm
Mega 4g €22,50pm Speed Up to 150 Gb Traffic: Unlimited Multi-Use: €15,00 per month

Wow Mike that's great - thanks.

I think I will go to the guy in VRSA and ask about all this.... when we 'lose' satellite...

Lets hope the 3G dongle is time based only and without any transfer limits....

Thanks again

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.