Goodbye Sky TV

Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future
Default Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by MikeCol
You can also go to www.filmon.com we use this when we want to watch different progs i.e. Mike the football, me something more intelligent Bryony
Bryony, do you need to use any proxy or VPN tools like eg. Expat Shield to watch filmon.com in Spain ?

Right now, I was thinking along the lines of installing a Slingbox in the UK. The pro version has Freeview built in so that all you would need to do (in the UK) is to connect it to an aerial and the internet. No need to control other boxes etc.
This would overcome blocking problems eg. trying Iplayer from a Spanish IP address.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cleverdic
Bryony, do you need to use any proxy or VPN tools like eg. Expat Shield to watch filmon.com in Spain ?

Right now, I was thinking along the lines of installing a Slingbox in the UK. The pro version has Freeview built in so that all you would need to do (in the UK) is to connect it to an aerial and the internet. No need to control other boxes etc.
This would overcome blocking problems eg. trying Iplayer from a Spanish IP address.
Hi, no you don't need anything. Just go to the website and log on and then click on UK TV programmes and then choose what you want to watch from the drop down list. SD reception is free but if you want to watch in HD you may need to take out a subscription. Regards Bryony
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Message heard and understood. Clearly this crowd sets off alarm bells. Good to be forewarned.
Lots of Brits arriving in Spain do find them and many use them initially, we did but pulled out well before getting involved in any financial way with them. We just dealt with Telefonica, initially through one of their shops, but then via the phone. We did find a number of people who had thought they were an official telefonica site, which we did before being warned, and had got ino a lot of problems.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, no you don't need anything. Just go to the website and log on and then click on UK TV programmes and then choose what you want to watch from the drop down list. SD reception is free but if you want to watch in HD you may need to take out a subscription. Regards Bryony
Another thing that you can do using filmon.com is to connect your computer to your TV set via a cable using the VGA or HDMI socket.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:10 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a €79 Android TV box at Leroy Merlin last week.

As my Android phone can receive and play this stuff, presumably the Android TV box would as well?

Seems to me a separate box would be a better choice than all the complication of running cables to your TV from a PC? Especially of the PC is in a different room?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by amideislas
Saw a €79 Android TV box at Leroy Merlin last week.

As my Android phone can receive and play this stuff, presumably the Android TV box would as well?

Seems to me a separate box would be a better choice than all the complication of running cables to your TV from a PC? Especially of the PC is in a different room?
Hi, filmon.com can also be viewed on your iPad, iPhone or android device. Bryony
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by megmet
Another thing that you can do using filmon.com is to connect your computer to your TV set via a cable using the VGA or HDMI socket.
Yes, I'm trying to work that end of the connection out. We have a laptop which has VGA out but not HDMI. I can connect by VGA but I need to work out the sound side. We would have to get a sound system with phono in plugs and connect it to the headphone socket of the laptop.

There are other options I am pursuing. One neat technical solution is to purchase an Android device something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MK802-Androi...4955233&sr=8-1

which would give me connection from a wireless router into the TV using HDMI.

Unfortunately I'm planning for someone who is not a techy so this might be too complicated if things go wrong.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 10:18 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Just to reinforce what others have said about telefonicainenglish.

Don't touch them with the proverbial barge pole. It is a scam and a complete rip-off. I have no idea why they are allowed to operate. They've been at it for years.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm trying to work that end of the connection out. We have a laptop which has VGA out but not HDMI. I can connect by VGA but I need to work out the sound side. We would have to get a sound system with phono in plugs and connect it to the headphone socket of the laptop.

There are other options I am pursuing. One neat technical solution is to purchase an Android device something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MK802-Androi...4955233&sr=8-1

which would give me connection from a wireless router into the TV using HDMI.

Unfortunately I'm planning for someone who is not a techy so this might be too complicated if things go wrong.
all you need to do is get a audio jack cable attach it to the pc audio out jack i.e. headphone socket and connect to the audio in socket on TV probably located near your VGA socket that's it. You can get the cables various lengths of ebay for couple of quid.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE
Today we have lost Channel Five plus a few others By the 22nd of this month
we will have lost most of the free channels if not all,
Looks like the book club is going to busy,
If you pay for sky channels Ie sky one Sports film you will still get them but all free channels ( BBC ITV etc etc ) Will be gone forever
Hi Bill, Algarve Daily News feature shows:

Changes to BBC satellite transponders in 2013, from Alix Pryde, Director, BBC Distribution

The quick answer is that, as a result of SES’s fleet replacement programme, BBC services will move in the second half of 2013 (SES operates the satellites).

In February 2012, SES retired Astra 2D and BBC services moved to a new temporary home on Astra 1N. Astra 1N is due to take up its permanent position in 2013 (19°East), so the BBC’s services will move to their new permanent home on Astra 2E (28.2°East) when that becomes operational. SES expects Astra 2E to launch in Q2 2013, so we currently expect to transition BBC services to it during summer 2013.

Some of you have also noticed that we commissioned a new transponder (which we call DSat8) in the autumn. It moved from its temporary home on Astra 1N to its permanent position on Astra 2F at the end of November 2012. DSat8 is still in a testing phase but in the coming months it will be used to broadcast BBC One Scotland HD and BBC One Wales HD as we complete the programme of providing all Nations programming in HD. We’ll be publishing the details of DSat8 on our satellite reception advice page when the services launch.

I hope that clarifies the timings of moves and also that the moves relate to the SES fleet replacement programme, rather than any BBC strategy to change its footprint. That said, the new transponders do have a slightly different footprint, so I’ll explain a bit about that, and why the changes are no cause for concern for the BBC in our requirement to ensure that the BBC’s domestic services are readily accessible to people living in the UK.

What impact will all this have for the viewer?

In all likelihood the move of BBC services from 1N to their new permanent homes will have no impact on UK households. Astra 2E and 2F have the same, tighter but slightly more powerful UK spot beams which means that UK households should get a slightly stronger signal. So if you happened to be on the edge of coverage, you will hopefully get more reliable reception.

The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them. I know that this causes unhappiness to some of you living outside the UK. However, it is entirely appropriate because the BBC domestic services are for people living in the UK only.

For viewers outside the UK, BBC Worldwide offers a number of channels which are available in various territories. These include BBC Entertainment,BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies along withBBC World News throughout Europe and the rest of the world.

I hope the detail above helps you to understand a bit more about the changes coming in the second half of 2013 and the reason for them. Finally, thank you to SES for the lovely pictures of Astra 2F.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

You can also go to www.filmon.com we use this when we want to watch different progs i.e. Mike the football, me something more intelligent Bryony
That was a great find - thanks Bryony....

I also found this on investigating further.

http://www.***********/how-does-it-work

err I cant paste the link it is tvexpat dot eu

It seems that you can get a connection for TV and ALSO iplayers from BBC and ITV... and you look like a UK internet user. Without using a proxy server, whatever that is!

Any feedback if this is a good idea, please?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 30th 2012 at 7:18 am.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
That was a great find - thanks Bryony....

I also found this on investigating further.

http://www.***********/how-does-it-work

err I cant paste the link it is tvexpat dot eu

It seems that you can get a connection for TV and ALSO iplayers from BBC and ITV... and you look like a UK internet user. Without using a proxy server, whatever that is!

Any feedback if this is a good idea, please?

Thanks
Jon
Hi Jon, thats sounds like a streaming service similar to the one I mentioned. We have in the past used a proxy server (Expats Shield) to view iplayer but because our pc is old and slow (a bit like us) it wasn't that good. We will give your find a try, thanks Bryony
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon, thats sounds like a streaming service similar to the one I mentioned. We have in the past used a proxy server (Expats Shield) to view iplayer but because our pc is old and slow (a bit like us) it wasn't that good. We will give your find a try, thanks Bryony
Hi Bryony

Please can you let us know how it went?

I would love to have this sort of service when in Belgium. The filmon site is great as well - but iplayer would be better....

See you around CE - we are here...

Jon
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this site for films and TV don't know if it will work in Spain?

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:12 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fred R
Hi Bill, Algarve Daily News feature shows:

The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them. I know that this causes unhappiness to some of you living outside the UK. However, it is entirely appropriate because the BBC domestic services are for people living in the UK only.

For viewers outside the UK, BBC Worldwide offers a number of channels which are available in various territories. These include BBC Entertainment,BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies along withBBC World News throughout Europe and the rest of the world.
"I say Curruthers, says here the BBC wallahs are going to stop broadcasting to the Empire".

"What, all of it?".

"No, still going to broadcast to the CBeeBies".

"Remind me ?".

"Small tribe, up north, near Mombasa...".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.