British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Goodbye Sky TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/goodbye-sky-tv-779691/)

BILL AND CLAIRE Dec 5th 2012 9:50 am

Goodbye Sky TV

Today we have lost Channel Five plus a few others By the 22nd of this month
we will have lost most of the free channels if not all,
Looks like the book club is going to busy,:confused:
If you pay for sky channels Ie sky one Sports film you will still get them but all free channels ( BBC ITV etc etc ) Will be gone forever:nod:

Uncle Buck Dec 5th 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 10416915)
Today we have lost Channel Five plus a few others By the 22nd of this month
we will have lost most of the free channels if not all,
Looks like the book club is going to busy,:confused:
If you pay for sky channels Ie sky one Sports film you will still get them but all free channels ( BBC ITV etc etc ) Will be gone forever:nod:

Is this because of the rumoured Satellite move or is your dish on the blink:rofl:.

Seriously though I hear that in order to keep receiving the free UK channels you need a 2 metre dish:eek:, the sort they land planes with! Anyone else having problems or knows of a solution to the problem?

MikeCol Dec 5th 2012 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck (Post 10417474)
Is this because of the rumoured Satellite move or is your dish on the blink:rofl:.

Seriously though I hear that in order to keep receiving the free UK channels you need a 2 metre dish:eek:, the sort they land planes with! Anyone else having problems or knows of a solution to the problem?

We have lost channel 5, 5* and 5 USA and so have most other people due to the move to a new satellite. Bryony

EsuriJohn Dec 5th 2012 5:06 pm

All our 5's have gone and the Anglia west on our SKY box.

BILL AND CLAIRE Dec 5th 2012 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 10417624)
All our 5's have gone and the Anglia west on our SKY box.

Hi Jon.
Most of the regional channels will disappear over the next two weeks.Thank god Spanish TV is so good:frown:

EsuriJohn Dec 6th 2012 1:58 am

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 10417886)
Hi Jon.
Most of the regional channels will disappear over the next two weeks.Thank god Spanish TV is so good:frown:

We could not find the Barca match last night despite having CH 800 to 900 tuned with several being digital HD. I am sure I have found them before on 848 TVE HD and watched second half of a match. Nothing last night though.

Steve and Pat Dec 6th 2012 7:55 pm

Sounds like Derek Trotter!

cleverdic Dec 7th 2012 7:15 am

This is a big blow. UK Television is quite important in our apartment.

Reading elsewhere, it is not absolutely definite that the rest of the Free channels will move to Astra 2F and therefore not be picked up by the relatively smaller dish of 1.3m There is a small possibility that a lot of these channels will move to a new satellite Astra 2E which will be launched early next year. Even then, the narrower footprint is likely to be used. I think you will need a massive dish of 2.4m in order to get a good chance of getting BBC, ITV, Ch4 and CH5. We would not be able to fit a dish of this size on or near our apartment.

The people that watch these developments closely say that we will have a better idea of what is happening in the next week or so.

With all this in mind, I am planning for the worst and looking at alternatives. The clear option is to receive TV through the internet. Currently we get our broadband using an Orange mobile dongle. It is $35 per month but for our pattern of usage, it is a reasonable deal. This connection would not be suitable for IPTV.

We are therefore looking at re-installing a landline back into the apartment in order to get broadband. I've had an initial look around and I've come up with a Telefonica deal which looks very attractive. $24.90 + IVA. per month

This web page gives the detail.

http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

However, I don't think this includes the monthly line rental. I can't find any mention of that on the page. Would anyone know if it is all inclusive and if not, typically what is the monthly line rental?

Domino Dec 7th 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10420768)
This is a big blow. UK Television is quite important in our apartment.

Reading elsewhere, it is not absolutely definite that the rest of the Free channels will move to Astra 2F and therefore not be picked up by the relatively smaller dish of 1.3m There is a small possibility that a lot of these channels will move to a new satellite Astra 2E which will be launched early next year. Even then, the narrower footprint is likely to be used. I think you will need a massive dish of 2.4m in order to get a good chance of getting BBC, ITV, Ch4 and CH5. We would not be able to fit a dish of this size on or near our apartment.

The people that watch these developments closely say that we will have a better idea of what is happening in the next week or so.

With all this in mind, I am planning for the worst and looking at alternatives. The clear option is to receive TV through the internet. Currently we get our broadband using an Orange mobile dongle. It is $35 per month but for our pattern of usage, it is a reasonable deal. This connection would not be suitable for IPTV.

We are therefore looking at re-installing a landline back into the apartment in order to get broadband. I've had an initial look around and I've come up with a Telefonica deal which looks very attractive. $24.90 + IVA. per month

This web page gives the detail.

However, I don't think this includes the monthly line rental. I can't find any mention of that on the page. Would anyone know if it is all inclusive and if not, typically what is the monthly line rental?

Surely you can get the services of Telefonica direct without having to pay a company to do it for you.? ? :confused:
Telefonica in English are generally a rip-off of Brits by Brits (?)

And there are a number of companies pushing deals at the moment so shopping around will prove beneficial

`

cleverdic Dec 7th 2012 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10420790)
Surely you can get the services of Telefonica direct without having to pay a company to do it for you.? ? :confused:
Telefonica in English are generally a rip-off of Brits by Brits (?)

And there are a number of companies pushing deals at the moment so shopping around will prove beneficial

`

Thanks for that, I was a little suspicious. You're right, I need to study this option a little closer. The headline price on this website sucks you in though.

MikeCol Dec 7th 2012 1:26 pm

A useful read about satellite changes, advice seems to be to wait http://www.astra2.org/astra2.html

V.S Dec 7th 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 10418448)
We could not find the Barca match last night despite having CH 800 to 900 tuned with several being digital HD. I am sure I have found them before on 848 TVE HD and watched second half of a match. Nothing last night though.

Sometimes you can press the red button for other match options when you are on sky sports

MikeCol Dec 7th 2012 3:52 pm

You can also go to www.filmon.com we use this when we want to watch different progs i.e. Mike the football, me something more intelligent ;) Bryony

mikelincs Dec 7th 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10420768)

For gods sake do NOT deal with telefonicainenglish, they have NOTHING to do with telefonica and are just a private firm cashing in on the telefonica name, deal direct with telefonica you will get faster and better service

cleverdic Dec 7th 2012 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10421644)
For gods sake do NOT deal with telefonicainenglish, they have NOTHING to do with telefonica and are just a private firm cashing in on the telefonica name, deal direct with telefonica you will get faster and better service

Message heard and understood. :thumbup: Clearly this crowd sets off alarm bells. Good to be forewarned.