Goodbye Sky TV

Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:19 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Sky TV - Techie question please

A bit of a techie question:

I think I know what a proxy server is, but I wondered if it is possible to have your own 'proxy server'. I hear that the 'public' proxy servers can be slow, insecure and have ads etc etc.

Here's the requirement, this would be similar to watching iplayer from abroad I guess.

Belgian TV is available oline, BUT as soon as you log in from abroad you are blocked.

I have an old laptop - which works fine.

Is it possible to set it up (in Belgium) so that I control it from here. Meaning IT logs into Belgian TV and can get it fine as it is in Belgium. THEN it 'squirts the signal down the line' to my PC here in Spain.

Is this possible, please?

I would also need to switch it on from sleep, from abroad, as we wont be using it all the time, and it will automatically go to sleep after a few mins.

Is there a way to do this please?

Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server??

Once I have it on my PC I just connect to the HDMI socket and can watch it full screen... on the telly

Thanks in advance for any ideas....

Jon
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

I think I know what a proxy server is, but I wondered if it is possible to have your own 'proxy server'. I hear that the 'public' proxy servers can be slow, insecure and have ads etc etc.

Here's the requirement, this would be similar to watching iplayer from abroad I guess.

Belgian TV is available oline, BUT as soon as you log in from abroad you are blocked.

Is it possible to set it up (in Belgium) so that I control it from here. Meaning IT logs into Belgian TV and can get it fine as it is in Belgium. THEN it 'squirts the signal down the line' to my PC here in Spain.

I would also need to switch it on from sleep, from abroad, as we wont be using it all the time, and it will automatically go to sleep after a few mins.

Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server??

Once I have it on my PC I just connect to the HDMI socket and can watch it full screen... on the telly

Jon
Hi Jon

I have not used this VPN but have a look at FAQ
http://www.tunnelbear.com/
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:49 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Just by chance this just popped up in my inbox

http://www.dabs.com/products/western...m_content=ce00

Looks like a gadget that would do what I want..... but will have to check

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 31st 2012 at 8:04 am.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Goodbye Sky TV - Techie question please

Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server

There is a thing called Sling Box which acts as you suggest but no idea of cost.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:39 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server

There is a thing called Sling Box which acts as you suggest but no idea of cost.
Funny - I was just going to post on the slingbox after spending the morning on google....

Here is the info from amazon, scroll down to the details - it looks like the thing we need.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=B0043VNGO4

THANKS

Jon
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

BobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to all

Hi Jon,

If I understand your requirement correctly, you can do this at no charge, and without the need to buy any additional equipment. From CE, you can log into your home PC, using a PC service called RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

You need to make this service available from your home PC (Start-Control Panel-Systems-Remote Settings-Allow Connections from... {Middle Button}). From your remote PC (i,e. at CE), you run the RDP Client (Start-All Programs-Accessories-Remote Desktop Connection), and enter the IP address of your home PC (you really need a Static IP Address for this).

You are then presented with the usual login and password page you get on your home PC. When you have finished, make sure to use the Log-Off option,(not Shutdown), and then you can use it again another day. For the serious techie Users out there, you can change the RDP port on your home PC to make it more secure, but this is a bit more involved.

I use this method every time I am at CE, to connect to my home machine, and have all the facilities available I usually enjoy at home.

Another option is to use a Program called Teamviewer, but this involves always leaving your home PC logged on. I think it is available FOC for non commercial use.

Happy New Year !

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Jon
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:14 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by BobD
Hi Jon,

If I understand your requirement correctly, you can do this at no charge, and without the need to buy any additional equipment. From CE, you can log into your home PC, using a PC service called RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

You need to make this service available from your home PC (Start-Control Panel-Systems-Remote Settings-Allow Connections from... {Middle Button}). From your remote PC (i,e. at CE), you run the RDP Client (Start-All Programs-Accessories-Remote Desktop Connection), and enter the IP address of your home PC (you really need a Static IP Address for this).

You are then presented with the usual login and password page you get on your home PC. When you have finished, make sure to use the Log-Off option,(not Shutdown), and then you can use it again another day. For the serious techie Users out there, you can change the RDP port on your home PC to make it more secure, but this is a bit more involved.

I use this method every time I am at CE, to connect to my home machine, and have all the facilities available I usually enjoy at home.

Another option is to use a Program called Teamviewer, but this involves always leaving your home PC logged on. I think it is available FOC for non commercial use.

Happy New Year !
Wow Bob, this sounds great.... and relatively simple...

I'll try it when I am back in Belgium. You can find IP address easily http://www.howtofindmyipaddress.com/ Ive noticed mine changes each time I connect with my dongle over here .... I hope that the IP address of my home PC doesnt change (wireless broadband)

Happy New Year from CE....

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 31st 2012 at 10:49 am.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 5:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Sky TV

I can see some problems with these options.

The Western Digital box looks interesting but it is designed to stream content from the media files on your PC. It doesn't allow you to mirror the PC screen so having a TV programme showing on the PC will not allow you to stream it.

The Internet content that you do get is similar to what you get on a Smart TV or a box like the Apple TV. Unlike some Smart TVs it doesn't seem to offer a browser option.

As for devices like Slingbox or a remote connection you need to remember that upload speeds are often very much lower than download speeds so even if you have a fast download connection the remote device may be uploading at a much lower speed with the result that the quality may be very poor and the connection probably doesn't allow any buffering which is the usual method of improving the quality to avoid start stop reception. I use LogMeIn to connect to a number of remote computers and there is no way that could handle video.

The best option I have managed to try so far is Filmon via an app on the iPad using the Airplay wireless link via the Apple TV. For some reason the quality is much better than running it on the PC. It's about the same as their expensive HD option.

Also some options such as Sky Go don't allow HDMI output from a laptop and the iPad app does'nt allow Airplay.

It's a very complicated subject but there are lots of people trying to come up with an alternative to satellite TV. At least we have another few months to sort through the options but the one really limiting factor, if you want TV quality is your ADSL speed.

We need some real user reports - the ads suggest the you will get fantastic results for free - on a cable connection possibly but on a slow Spanish connection it is less likely.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:07 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people are now using Blend for their TV here in the Canaries..

Blend Telecom

www.blend.es

Blend broadband & Telephone. Offering high speed internet and telephone connections to private customers and businesses.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
A lot of people are now using Blend for their TV here in the Canaries..

Blend Telecom

www.blend.es

Blend broadband & Telephone. Offering high speed internet and telephone connections to private customers and businesses.
Wishing you all a "HAPPY NEW YEAR"
Near Alicante, I use Europa.com for phone, internet (8MB) and TV, with excellent results 24/7. Check 'em out!
I'm on the outskirts of Sydney, Australia, at the moment and just to show what's possible, I have a download speed of 115MB
Can't wait to move here later in the year

John.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

laslopeady is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Would the following work?
A local (Spain/Portugal) PAYG Mi fi device and a wifi enabled TV.
What are the costs/ draw backs?
Thanks
Laslopeady
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laslopeady
Hi all
Would the following work?
A local (Spain/Portugal) PAYG Mi fi device and a wifi enabled TV.
What are the costs/ draw backs?
Thanks
Laslopeady
If you use a 3G dongle in your MiFi then I think the speeds would be useless for IPTV, however TMN announced a 4G service and dongle which claims 100Mhz - which should be sufficient. However,a 3G PAYG dongle is about 1€ per hour (no idea about 4G but it's not going to be less) so it would work out very expensive for a regular TV viewer.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

ARPcPro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you use a 3G dongle in your MiFi then I think the speeds would be useless for IPTV, however TMN announced a 4G service and dongle which claims 100Mhz - which should be sufficient. However,a 3G PAYG dongle is about 1€ per hour (no idea about 4G but it's not going to be less) so it would work out very expensive for a regular TV viewer.
The issue I see with that is traffic on TMN and Vodafone is limited to a responsible user policy (PUR) of 15Gb per month. Although they say it is unlimited, after 15Gb they will reduce the speed to 128kbps that it is not fast enough for TV.

I'd say on average IPTV spends in High Quality: 800MB per hour, Medium Quality: 540MB per hour, Low Quality: 360MB per hour.

In medium quality with 500Mb per hour on average would only allow you to watch 1 hour per day.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:20 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you use a 3G dongle in your MiFi then I think the speeds would be useless for IPTV,
What speed does your 3G dongle run at?

My 3G phone runs at well over 10mb/sec. More on occasions..

You can get adequate quality at 3mb/sec.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
What speed does your 3G dongle run at?

My 3G phone runs at well over 10mb/sec. More on occasions..

You can get adequate quality at 3mb/sec.
On Costa Esuri I think its about adequete for email and a bit of net browsing certainly not much better than the old dial up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.