Gibraltar

Old Feb 17th 2014, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar

Another failure by Spain in it's economical war on Gibraltar

The European Commission has again reiterated that it has already raised the Eastside Project with the United Kingdom and found no evidence of a breach of EU rules.

The Commission was responding to a question from Spanish MEP, Luis de Grande Pascuale, tabled in December 2013 in the European Parliament.

Sr de Grande Pascuale claimed that the Spanish authorities had not been consulted on the project,

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=32926
Old Feb 17th 2014, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Gibraltar insurance business is worth £3.8 billion or about £125,000 per head of population and it also covers 16% of the UK Motor Market

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=32923
Old Feb 17th 2014, 7:50 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Fred and Me me that the situation could well have been very different by now.
I was simply trying to explain the very obvious short term scenario for the benefit of our somewhat less learned friend whose world seems to have got somewhat stuck in the hands of time and get the impression it has finally sunk in.
Damned hard work though !

Right, back to Gib, as long as the monkeys strut their stuff and the rest of the inhabitants are overwhelmingly in favour of the present status then I think the Spanish are going to have a hell of a long wait and meantime are not doing themselves or anyone else any favours at all with their pointless policy of endless aggravation.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:01 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Bangladesh - a new name for an already new country originally called................
East Pakistan.

ain't history great when you can remember it cos u wuz their
Given your aversion to curry but I dare you to go back and tel them that their countries name is East Pakistan. They want nothing to do with a name that was given to their country at partition.
I assume you also went to Ceylon or Burma names from the days of Empire which the inhabitants have changed .
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Right, back to Gib, as long as the monkeys strut their stuff and the rest of the inhabitants are overwhelmingly in favour of the present status then I think the Spanish are going to have a hell of a long wait and meantime are not doing themselves or anyone else any favours at all with their pointless policy of endless aggravation.
I believe ( hope ) that the shit that Spain has kicked up in the last 6 months will finally have an effect.

In the past very few people have taken notice of what has been happening down here, however this time Spain has shout loud and long and with the help of 24 hour news , social media etc her message has reached a very wide audience.

Unfortunately for Spain this audience is not as gullible or as patriotic ( to Spain ) as the average Spaniard and they are able to sit back and assess the situation.

Their assessment increasingly appears to be that Spain is in the wrong.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:11 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Fred you are ignoring the simple facts, the EU is going to do nothing, nada. squat nor is the UK .
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this is typical of the British, but until the recent drama queen antics by the G.C. at the border, I had very little knowledge of the Rock, apart from hairy stories by my father of landing there back in the fifties in a Shackleton. I have now started reading up on the history of Gibraltar and I have decided that once my wife is well enough, we are going to take a visit and see for ourselves.

I think Fred is right in saying that the wider audience is less than impressed with Spain's actions but the arrogance gene runs strong in Iberian DNA and they will never admit they are wrong. About anything.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pedro pete
I don't know if this is typical of the British, but until the recent drama queen antics by the G.C. at the border, I had very little knowledge of the Rock, apart from hairy stories by my father of landing there back in the fifties in a Shackleton. I have now started reading up on the history of Gibraltar and I have decided that once my wife is well enough, we are going to take a visit and see for ourselves.

I think Fred is right in saying that the wider audience is less than impressed with Spain's actions but the arrogance gene runs strong in Iberian DNA and they will never admit they are wrong. About anything.
One of my lasting memories is that of a Shackleton preparing to take off from Gib, I was 60 meters from the runway watching and listening as she went through her very thorough pre take off checks. The sight was magnificent, the noise was deafening.

The beers will be on me pedro pete
Old Feb 17th 2014, 9:36 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've observed the Spanish arrogance gene at first hand for many years and have learned how to deal with it to make my expat life easier. It used to infuriate me until I realised it was actually quite funny, the kind of parody Spanish people enjoy from their popular TV programmes.

An elderly Spanish tradesman called round a few days ago to give me an estimate for a swimming pool repair, and cursed the shoddy workmanship of the initial installer who had used insufficient concrete to secure the base. He asked, 'Who was the builder?'

When I said, 'You were,' there was a brief look of panic on his face as he looked around him and I thought I would have to dig out the original documentation from many years ago, but then we both saw the funny side of it. He kept saying, 'No guarantee, no guarantee . . .' As if.

But Gibraltarians have the same genes as ordinary Spaniards, and that must include the arrogance gene, the 'I'm-never-wrong one.

That border will be open and shut for the next hundred years.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I've observed the Spanish arrogance gene at first hand for many years and have learned how to deal with it to make my expat life easier. It used to infuriate me until I realised it was actually quite funny, the kind of parody Spanish people enjoy from their popular TV programmes.

An elderly Spanish tradesman called round a few days ago to give me an estimate for a swimming pool repair, and cursed the shoddy workmanship of the initial installer who had used insufficient concrete to secure the base. He asked, 'Who was the builder?'

When I said, 'You were,' there was a brief look of panic on his face as he looked around him and I thought I would have to dig out the original documentation from many years ago, but then we both saw the funny side of it. He kept saying, 'No guarantee, no guarantee . . .' As if.

But Gibraltarians have the same genes as ordinary Spaniards, and that must include the arrogance gene, the 'I'm-never-wrong one.

That border will be open and shut for the next hundred years.
Not at all sure that's true judging by the mix identified in census returns (there was a link posted but I can't find it) Gibraltar seems to be an extraordinarily diverse cultural and racial mixture - interestingly native Brits are a fairly small minority. Judging by the Gibraltarians interviewed on various TV programs they would seem to be more than happy if they could co-exist happily with their Spanish neighbours - as long as sovereignty was never compromised.

Last edited by MikeJ; Feb 17th 2014 at 10:16 am.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
One of my lasting memories is that of a Shackleton preparing to take off from Gib, I was 60 meters from the runway watching and listening as she went through her very thorough pre take off checks. The sight was magnificent, the noise was deafening.

The beers will be on me pedro pete
Thanks Fred I will look forward to it. Gib was a regular stop off when he was based at Malta and even though bouncing around the Med hunting for Subs took it's toll, he said they were amongst the happiest flying days in a career that spanned 36 years.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:53 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You won't regret a visit. Many post the place is rubbish but it's because they wander up Main st. Go to Morrisons for their booze and ciggies and see nothing.

See the Cemetery where many are buried from the battle of Trafalgar. The little Chapel at the side of the Convent, hung with flags from many Regiments. The Roman baths. Walk the walls. The Tunnels are fascinating too. Wander through the back streets. There is a Moroccan there who has a knife sharpening shop, does a great job with some ancient equipment.
When you are tired, take afternoon tea at the Rock Hotel. Peep at the Guest book, some interesting names there
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:25 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You won't regret a visit. Many post the place is rubbish but it's because they wander up Main st. Go to Morrisons for their booze and ciggies and see nothing.

See the Cemetery where many are buried from the battle of Trafalgar. The little Chapel at the side of the Convent, hung with flags from many Regiments. The Roman baths. Walk the walls. The Tunnels are fascinating too. Wander through the back streets. There is a Moroccan there who has a knife sharpening shop, does a great job with some ancient equipment.
When you are tired, take afternoon tea at the Rock Hotel. Peep at the Guest book, some interesting names there
I wouldn't mind spending some time in gib. I loved the programme too, and if Fred is anything to go by the people are nice.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I am an avid reader of military history but little on the Peninsular war and the Napoleonic wars but I would be very interested in the places you have mentioned. I hope the border problems are sorted soon, not just for me but everyone, I know that there are many Spanish who work in Gibraltar and they, like all the residents are the real victims, not the sabre rattlers. As if that is anything new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.