Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone here from Hondon

Anyone here from Hondon

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:49 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone here from Hondon

WHy Why WHY do people come to Spain and rush to sign deeds and move into a property without having all the legal paperwork in place? And then proceed to make alterations, additions (pools for instance) as in the urbanisation we were buying on. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL ALL THE PAPERWORK IS IN PLACE! It will be worth the wait and could be a lot of stress and hassle if you don't wait. Nothing is rushed in Spain and if the builders have the money they will definitely not be in a hurry to get all the legalities done. Why should they - they have your money

We have just lost out on a purchase as our bank will not release the mortgage without the habitation certificate - and because of all the illegal additions by people who have already moved in - this will not be in place for at least another 6 months! Meantime the town hall is going round the urbanisation imposing fines and in extreme cases they may even insist on pools being filled in and other works being demolished or changed back to the original - as shown on the plans submitted by the builder.

Tread carefully!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
WHy Why WHY do people come to Spain and rush to sign deeds and move into a property without having all the legal paperwork in place? And then proceed to make alterations, additions (pools for instance) as in the urbanisation we were buying on. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL ALL THE PAPERWORK IS IN PLACE! It will be worth the wait and could be a lot of stress and hassle if you don't wait. Nothing is rushed in Spain and if the builders have the money they will definitely not be in a hurry to get all the legalities done. Why should they - they have your money

We have just lost out on a purchase as our bank will not release the mortgage without the habitation certificate - and because of all the illegal additions by people who have already moved in - this will not be in place for at least another 6 months! Meantime the town hall is going round the urbanisation imposing fines and in extreme cases they may even insist on pools being filled in and other works being demolished or changed back to the original - as shown on the plans submitted by the builder.

Tread carefully!
This can also apply to Light fittings, patios, closed in balconies and even kitchen units if they are not included in the builders plans.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

People usually complete because the nice Estate Agent and their friendly non-independent solicitor told them it would be OK. The Estate Agent wants the rest of their 13%-18% commission, and the solicitor would be stupid to tell the "truth" to the unsuspecting buyer, or the agent won't be making any more referrals to them!

Plus, if you've got your flights, animals, family, removals, etc all booked - why on earth would you want to cancel all that at the last minute for a piece of paper? Buy in haste, repent at leisure...

Tread carefully!
That's really bad news... Putting in pools and these conservatory type windows that turn your terrace into another room are popular around here too.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:29 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by twyntub
This is not unusual. There are a few things Contrimar are very slow at... getting habitation licences, mains electricity and town water being just three examples.
Hey twyntub did you move to Hondon, I have been away a while sorry
Old May 29th 2008, 5:57 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
Hey twyntub did you move to Hondon, I have been away a while sorry
You two should get together and compare notes Smarties...I have met twyntubs and he is a great guy Ok twyntubs....don't get big headed
Old May 29th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Lionda, I'm blushing!

Hi Smarties, great to see you back on here. Yes, made it over here in the end. More's the point, are you still planning to move over to Spain in the future?

Thoroughly enjoying life in Spain, could do with a bit more sun... can't wait for the summer to arrive
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:55 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by twyntub
Lionda, I'm blushing!

Hi Smarties, great to see you back on here. Yes, made it over here in the end. More's the point, are you still planning to move over to Spain in the future?

Thoroughly enjoying life in Spain, could do with a bit more sun... can't wait for the summer to arrive
Yes looking again at Spain though circumstances remain the same ie reasons we never completed though we know one day soon it will happen. Not wanting to start another Hondon thread just wondering who lives in Hondon and is still on the builders electricity and if you are how long you been on it. This was probably the nail in the coffin for my purchase as it worried me though one nail of many
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

bchapl is an unknown quantity at this point

Am coming out again to Hondon this Sunday - anyone know what the weather is like - you've had a lot of rain, I hear?
Hope everyone living in Hondon (and the rest of Spain) is well.
Love to you all,
bchapl
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

flanny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have seen an ad for a house exchange in HONDON DA LAS NIEVES for one in the UK! Can I ask what you guy's think of the idea???Worried about land grab etc etc.....!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:45 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bchapl
Hondon... anyone know what the weather is like - you've had a lot of rain, I hear?
Hope everyone living in Hondon (and the rest of Spain) is well.
bchapl
Yep! May was rubbish were we are. It's very changeable in Hondon Valley right now, don't think we have had a whole day of sunshine for months, cloudly mainly this last week and I reckon a few degrees below normal (unless I have acclimatised now), but still a little chilly in the late evening... and many people still having to wear trousers / jeans.

.. only been in the Pool once so far as the water temp' hasn't got much above 18/19/20 C.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:47 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flanny
Hi I have seen an ad for a house exchange in HONDON DA LAS NIEVES for one in the UK! Can I ask what you guy's think of the idea???Worried about land grab etc etc.....!!!!
Sounds interesting! Where was the Ad (paper, web site)?
Is it a new build or older in the 'wilds' ?

Can't advise really. It will depend on the house, location, how old, etc. It could be worth it - give 'em a bell and ask a load quaestions.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

flanny is an unknown quantity at this point

Its about 25 years old 10 mins from the village, I saw it on preloved.co.uk
Is it good value for money £180,000
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Tks, GrapeEater, for the weather update - just checked the forecast and it looks like it's brightening up (at last), so fingers crossed!
Hi Flanny - re. the house exchange in Hondon, perhaps this is available as it's getting harder to make a living in Spain (and it was never that easy in any case, I feel). There are many threads on this site pointing out the warnings to expats who are not retired and who have to make a living (hence my OH and I are reluctant to make the final move just at the moment). This, coupled with the downturn in the UK property market, is perhaps making people panic a little. However, we don't know the circumstances of the vendor of this house - sometimes when a recession bites, people have to rethink and that sometimes means coming home where you have family and friends to support you in your quest to make a living.
Will have a look at the house on the website - not sure just how much properties in Spain have dropped in price.
Love to all,
bchapl
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi Flanny,
Had a look at the house in Frailes; looks good - nice plot of land and it looks as if a lot of work has been done (and with the correct licenses, it would seem). The price? It's hard to say without looking, but the guy reckons it's valued much higher than the asking price. As GrapeEater says, give them a bell and ask many, many questions.
Good luck and let us all know what happens!
All the best,
bchapl
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
Looking for Diddy Di, who moved over to Hondon in March.
Are you hooked up to the net yet and how is the work search going?
It'd be great to meet up - am over in Hondon from 8-13 June - get in touch and we can arrange to meet over a glass (or three) of vino blanco.
All the best,
Bev
bchapl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.