Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone here from Hondon

Anyone here from Hondon

Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:14 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Anyone here from Hondon

Hello all, anyone here from Hondon de las Nieves?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone here from Hondon

Soon will be... Have bought on Oasis VI - due for completion in September.

We took the kids along to register at the local primary last week, all very friendly. Can't wait to escape this chilly Cheshire weather!!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by twyntub
Soon will be... Have bought on Oasis VI - due for completion in September.

We took the kids along to register at the local primary last week, all very friendly. Can't wait to escape this chilly Cheshire weather!!
"Chilly Cheshire Weather"

Hondon del las Nieves, is translated as the Valley(Place/gorge) of the Snows, and winter 2004/05 was the coldest on record >>>

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Mar 20th 2007 at 10:24 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

silly me, I thought it was a typo!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
"Chilly Cheshire Weather"

Hondon del las Nieves, is translated as the Valley(Place/gorge) of the Snows, and winter 2004/05 was the coldest on record >>>
I may be wrong, but when agents sell houses inland and high (Hondon de las Nieves is 380m above sea level) in the off season, I assume that their clients stay in hotels on the coast and they drive them inland when the daytime temperature increases.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Not as cold in Hondon as it was at Elda Police Station when we went for our NIE numbers last week!

You are probably right about inspection trips, however we never went on one. We spent our last Summer hols covering 2,500+ km across Cost Blanca getting an idea of our bearings then chose two of the most likely companies to show us around whilst on holiday in January this year.

The first agent was brilliant - spent a good hour on the phone with me the week before we came over, was thoroughly prepared, showed us a really good range of properties (exactly what we'd asked for) and wasn't pushy at all.

The second agent was a disappointment. First of all, he really didn't like the fact that we wouldn't get into his car and be driven around - I just wanted him to tell me the address and so I could follow the route on the TomTom in case we got lost. With two kids it was simply more practical to follow behind, they could eat / sleep as much as they wanted and we'd avoid the extended BS lecture. He took us to all sorts of sprawling urbanisations we made clear we didn't want to see - we felt these were places HE would have chosen as a first time buy, not us. Although when we mentioned Oasis at Hondon which we'd seen the day before with the first agent he did take us there to look at another property (key in hand).

We now had a choice. New build with Agent A, key in hand with Agent B. It was 55/45 - both were good properties, but slightly erring on the new build. On about the 9th visit to Oasis (we did several accompanied and unaccompanied visits just to make sure!) - a gentleman came up to us walking his dog and said "You don't mind me asking, you wouldn't happen to be thinking of buying throught Agent B would you?" (He'd spotted their car which had just driven off). Well, we said, we were thinking about it but we also had another agent / plot in mind. "Well, if you want my opinion, I bought through them and they are the biggest bunch of cowboys going" (then gives the story of their problems... a long list!).

Decision made. We went with the better agent and bought off-plan for a better house (one extra bedroom) on our chosen plot for less money. We just have to wait a bit!!

But that wasn't the end of the story. I phoned Agent B and told them that we'd gone for a new build property with another developer on the site. The next day back in the UK I received a very friendly email from the staff at Agent B asking for details of the plot we'd bought. Thinking that we'd bought direct from the developer, they now wanted the commission!!! Bear in mind they'd only taken us to Oasis because we asked to go there (been introduced by Agent A), and then they didn't actually take us to that particular part of the development / developer. But they wanted to take the commission.

Hmm... no wonder agents get a bad name!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:45 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope Smarties has bought through Agent A then!

Mrs Flan and I are going to look in that area later this year - probably with a view to putting a deposit on an off-plan jobby. Could I ask you please to pm me the details of Agent A (and B come to think of it) so we know who to consider and who to avoid?

Ta muchly!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

You have been PM'd - although as I say in the PM - my experiences may have been exceptional, and you should also be aware that the property hasn't been built yet / we're not moved in yet - so I can only comment on our experiences at that stage of the buying cycle!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:51 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, got it thanks.

I've pm'd you a reply.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

bchapl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone here from Hondon

Hi SmartiesUK,
We are about to complete on a house in Hondon - are you buying/have your bought there yet? We are not planning to live there permanently just yet but hope to do so in a couple of years' time. Yes, we heard that the winter of 2004-5 was a bad one, and this last month of April 2007 has seen some appalling weather in Spain, but, hey, overall, you can't compare this with UK weather! Whilst Hondon de las Nieves translates as 'Gorge of the snows', this, as I understand it, is actually after 'Our Lady of the Snows'. We were warned by a very pushy estate agent that we should beward of the snow in Hondon, but I think this was just a ploy to get us to buy in the Jalon Valley (much more expensive)! We told him that we actually like snow, which took the wind out of his sails somewhat! We've visited Hondon several times now and everyone seems very friendly. Our estate agent seems OK, but we're still reserving judgement until we've been before the notary and have the keys!
Let me know how you're getting on.
Best,
bchapl
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:52 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Anyone here from Hondon

I live near Hondon and have friends on the Oasis development - some call it 'Valley of the Vines' - I think it depends which agent markets it. The place is cold in winter and very very windy - BUT summers are joy - beautiful scenic views, watching nature grow, mountains you can drive up or climb, great walks and very relaxed (when builder boy is not about), the locals are so helpful and friendly - definitely the place to be inland and you don't want the holiday 'English Abroad' mentality. You NEED a car though, good shops are a distance away.

But be careful of agents - I could write a book on things I have seen and heard - but it's rife across Spain, not just Costa Blanca. Where's there is lots of money to be made there are 'tactics' from builders, agents and odd-job men - However I am a great believer in that no-one can force you to buy a house - you KNOW when it's right for you - if you get that buzz then buy !!! And for every horror story you hear there are many happy ex-pats in Blanca. Just try have common sense, be ascertive and you'll minimise the chances of being ripped off.

Do your homework - look for an agent who offers guarantees, get independent solicitor. We tried a few agents but found MedSea Estates ( a UK co. based in Europe) very good, the rep was excellent. But I know now that reps come good and bad, new and experienced... it would be nice if they were all good like ours (Can I recommend her by name - she live near Oasis so knows alot about it ?)

As far as I know they have the ISO9001 acred' and have strict policy of only selling property with ALL the paperwork in place. Others will sell anything and let YOU pick up the pieces later.

Finally, my advice where ever you buy is SHOP AROUND for anything as there are masses of differences in price - AND DON'T buy from the first person who knocks on your door - however friendly ! (and I bet they are English) - Good Luck
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
We tried a few agents but found MedSea Estates ( a UK co. based in Europe) very good, the rep was excellent. But I know now that reps come good and bad, new and experienced... it would be nice if they were all good like ours (Can I recommend her by name - she live near Oasis so knows alot about it ?)
We also have bought through MedSea and are due to complete later this year. MedSea was the "good" agent I referred to in an earlier post - our rep spent time with me on the phone before we left England and only showed us properties that we said we would be interested in (i.e. we don't want to be on an urbanisation where you can reach out and touch your neighbours houses on all sides!!).

The proof, as they say, will be in the pudding, but experiences so far have been very good... When the builder in Oasis wanted 50% deposit + IVA up front to build early, Medsea got it down to 20% without IVA. They also sorted out our NIE numbers even when Elda police station "ran out of numbers"!

Will keep you posted!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

bchapl is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Anyone here from Hondon

Hi Twyntub and GrapeEater,
Thanks for the advice re. Agents. We'll just have to see whether the agent lives up to his promises! By the way, the builder put back the completion date a month as the electric company could not lay the cables for the electricity. He has promised this will now be done in time for completion, but the agent suggested we complete in any case and that the builder would lend us a generator in the meantime. Our lawyer recommended against this; we went with our lawyer's advice, hence the month's delay. We are crossing everything that the builder will be as good as his word and that the elecricity will actually be connected! Has anyone had an experience like this? We have contracted a local (British) electrician to fit light fittings etc and how do you test the pump in the pool, for example, if you're running on a generator?
Best,
bchapl :
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:07 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

BCHAPL,

If you are in a remote area then maybe the generator will be a short term option - personally I wouldn't buy a house without cabled electric and INSIST that is part of the sale - ensure it's with your lawyer !!!!. Often new developments with many houses are running on 'builders electric' for a while which is unreliable due to overloading, running cranes and equipment. I lost count of the times we had to complain / reset the switches. Hondon is very windy in winter and we experienced electricity cut-outs, usually only a few minutes. (so have candles ready).

I wouldn't fit a pool until you have proper electric - it needs to run a filter 4/6 hours day so that's a lot of generator fuel, noise and fumes.

Also make sure you'll have running water, if they cannot get electric to you - can they get water as well ??

And you should have meters fitted at your entrance for both water and electric.... what about telephone/internet ??
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:11 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
BCHAPL,

If you are in a remote area then maybe the generator will be a short term option - personally I wouldn't buy a house without cabled electric and INSIST that is part of the sale - ensure it's with your lawyer !!!!. Often new developments with many houses are running on 'builders electric' for a while which is unreliable due to overloading, running cranes and equipment. I lost count of the times we had to complain / reset the switches. Hondon is very windy in winter and we experienced electricity cut-outs, usually only a few minutes. (so have candles ready).

I wouldn't fit a pool until you have proper electric - it needs to run a filter 4/6 hours day so that's a lot of generator fuel, noise and fumes.

Also make sure you'll have running water, if they cannot get electric to you - can they get water as well ??

And you should have meters fitted at your entrance for both water and electric.... what about telephone/internet ??
And has for Lights and Lamps... most of the shops who supply them, fit them on delivery.. if you bring your own then yes you will have to DIY or get someone to do it for you. If you are on a development ask a neighbour(s) for a recommendation / who did theirs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.