how old is the UK?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:57 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how old is the UK?

Originally Posted by MrsHaps

excellent!
it is good to see you around how have you been?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:58 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
BM,

Even though it is specifically aimed at christians I think you may also find this video useful for future arguments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCuc34hvD4

at work youtube is not working .. i will try to watch it at home insha allah and make a comment
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:58 am
Banned

Talking Re: how old is the UK?

Originally Posted by Confucius
Fine with everything, but, your question is about how old the UK was, yet just after 2 sentences you talk about the UAE...
Your title selection needs to be polished a bit...

it was to grap attention lol

but you are right .. thanks mate
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Christianity or any religion is a bad idea for governance in Europe...we were doing so well as pagans, even doubting the existence of our own Gods while this region stoned people to death for even saying the name of their god

N.

it is never good to exaggerate.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:04 am
Banned

Let's face it though we have elements in the West who still resist the good things science gives...Creation "science", anti-GM crop nuts, anti-stem cell research people, "pro-life" folks etc etc.

Thankfully we have secular governments who try (usually) to get all the facts without having a pre-conceived idea (like religion) when it comes to scientific progress.

It's why we will have cures for most ailments within 20-30 years and will be able to extend our lives by hundreds of years before this century is up (would we want to though given people cannot control their breeding as it is!).

We still have social problems in the West we need to face and sort out - we no longer respect our own culture, people or traditions...that is our biggest failing in my honest opinion.

N.

when you say that someone never respects his own culture or traditions.... why is it a problem to you?
isn't it within the concept of (freedom) ??
you don't respect religions and you wouldn't want to be a religious man at all (this is your wish)
some others don't respect the culture and don't want to live within the traditions (it is their wish)

isnt that true?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:22 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beard Man
when you say that someone never respects his own culture or traditions.... why is it a problem to you?
isn't it within the concept of (freedom) ??
you don't respect religions and you wouldn't want to be a religious man at all (this is your wish)
some others don't respect the culture and don't want to live within the traditions (it is their wish)

isnt that true?
I think it is a problem when people stop respecting any positive aspects of their own culture.

Yes you are right this is a concept of freedom but I also have the freedom to say this not a good thing do I not?

As for respecting religions...I actually don't mind too much as long as people keep their belief to themselves and don't try to stop progress or interfere with government and laws. If someone behaves better because they are religious I will support them - because it is good for society to have people who behave well no matter if they are religious or not.

If I argue or debate religion that is just talk - if someone is offended by debate that's not my problem...I get offended too but I don't take it too seriously. If we can all be nice to each other in the street and mind our business who cares really if we pray or do not pray? Surely if god is real god will judge not man?

N.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:57 am
Banned

I think it is a problem when people stop respecting any positive aspects of their own culture.

Yes you are right this is a concept of freedom but I also have the freedom to say this not a good thing do I not?

As for respecting religions...I actually don't mind too much as long as people keep their belief to themselves and don't try to stop progress or interfere with government and laws. If someone behaves better because they are religious I will support them - because it is good for society to have people who behave well no matter if they are religious or not.

If I argue or debate religion that is just talk - if someone is offended by debate that's not my problem...I get offended too but I don't take it too seriously. If we can all be nice to each other in the street and mind our business who cares really if we pray or do not pray? Surely if god is real god will judge not man?

N.

so we have some kind of agreement we should respect each other you have your believe and i have mine ... i would never love to offend anyone but in the same time i would never want others to offend me and make fun of my religions and beliefs.

one last comment on your first line ..

I think it is a problem when people stop respecting any positive aspects of religions specially Islam.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:35 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

so we have some kind of agreement we should respect each other you have your believe and i have mine ... i would never love to offend anyone but in the same time i would never want others to offend me and make fun of my religions and beliefs.

one last comment on your first line ..

I think it is a problem when people stop respecting any positive aspects of religions specially Islam.
Absolutely people should try to respect each other when possible and at least tolerate each other when they cannot respect each other.

I understand what you are saying about respecting the positive aspects of religion and agree to a point for sure. I do feel that people still have the right to criticise religion but also to criticise non-religion...but that does not happen in most places because everyone in insecure and becomes highly offended - especially religious people.

I know for a fact disbelief is not respected by religion is it? You are aware of the verses in the Koran and Bible which say very bad things about non-believers and people who pray to more than one god?

N.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:47 am
Banned

Absolutely people should try to respect each other when possible and at least tolerate each other when they cannot respect each other.

I understand what you are saying about respecting the positive aspects of religion and agree to a point for sure. I do feel that people still have the right to criticise religion but also to criticise non-religion...but that does not happen in most places because everyone in insecure and becomes highly offended - especially religious people.

I know for a fact disbelief is not respected by religion is it? You are aware of the verses in the Koran and Bible which say very bad things about non-believers and people who pray to more than one god?

N.

if you don't believe in Quraan you shouldn't worry about what is written there about what will happen to non-believers, right???
but you can't just insult the God that we are praying for him and that we believe in him.
but then if you thought about it little bit... what if what is in Quraan is true !!

it is worth thinking about.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:58 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

i assume that the UK is there for more than 300 years if not more
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is less than 90 years old being created in it's current form after partition of Ireland in 1920 (Irish indepenance in 1922)
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:23 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is less than 90 years old being created in it's current form after partition of Ireland in 1920 (Irish indepenance in 1922)
The UK started on 1 January 1801 via the union between Great Britain and Ireland (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)...so 208 years old.

Just because Ireland (Eire) left in the 1920s, the name UK stayed, except that the constituent countries changed somewhat (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

By your reckoning, and if the Scots did vote for independence in 2010, then in 2011 the UK (United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland) would only be 1 year old !

I have already seen some examples of how the UK flag would look in 2011...the Welsh dragon flag would probably be used because the St. George red cross/white background would clash, or be superimposed on the St David yellow cross/black background of St. David.
Attached Thumbnails how old is the UK?-2_new_flag_uk.gif  
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:20 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yikes! That flag is horrid! It's looks... naked!

Besides, getting rid of the Union Jack would mean that places like Oz would have to change theirs too... anyone fancy the flag-making industry?!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:06 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
yikes! That flag is horrid! It's looks... naked!

Besides, getting rid of the Union Jack would mean that places like Oz would have to change theirs too... anyone fancy the flag-making industry?!
Naked..how about a black background (from St David's flag)

How about this one...not quite finished - as a white strip would need to be put beneath the St Patrick's diagonal cross !
Attached Thumbnails how old is the UK?-2_new_flag_uk-wales-base.gif  
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers;7336545]
Originally Posted by Chris79

Well Stonehenge is 3,000 years old to start with!
Stonehenge always cracks me up with its "Wonder" status. While the UK cave dwellers were busy patting themselves on the back after throwing togther a few lumps of stone, the Egyptians were busy cranking out Pyramids
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Dan725;7344788]
Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

Stonehenge always cracks me up with its "Wonder" status. While the UK cave dwellers were busy patting themselves on the back after throwing togther a few lumps of stone, the Egyptians were busy cranking out Pyramids
... It is however still more upright than the house I rent here which is about 3 minutes old...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.