how old is the UK?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:26 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default how old is the UK?

i assume that the UK is there for more than 300 years if not more.

during this time alot of things changed to shap the UK the way it is today

it took along time for people to learn things and for rules and policies to evolved to what they have now.

one the other hand

how old is the UAE ? not more than 50 years. it is still a devoloping country. and 20 years back the number or educated locals were not more than 10,000 i assume.. or even less

beside we have our own culture and our own religion in this area and we don't necessary have to follow the standers of others or their way of thinking or their way of looking at things.

we have the right to live our life and decide it the way we want. isn't it? and if there are some mistakes in the polcies that can be corrected we should be given our time to do that.

why do i here some people in here talking about only the negative things in this part of the world? aren't there good things that deserves to be complemented?

if you are a negative person that much and if you can't stand some negative issues in here why are you still around?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how old is the UK?

Originally Posted by Beard Man

during this time alot of things changed to shap the UK the way it is today

it took along time for people to learn things and for rules and policies to evolved to what they have now.

one the other hand

how old is the UAE ? not more than 50 years. it is still a devoloping country. and 20 years back the number or educated locals were not more than 10,000 i assume.. or even less

beside we have our own culture and our own religion in this area and we don't necessary have to follow the standers of others or their way of thinking or their way of looking at things.

we have the right to live our life and decide it the way we want. isn't it? and if there are some mistakes in the polcies that can be corrected we should be given our time to do that.

why do i here some people in here talking about only the negative things in this part of the world? aren't there good things that deserves to be complemented?

if you are a negative person that much and if you can't stand some negative issues in here why are you still around?
Now I am getting worried! I actually agree with you on this post BM

I don't like some things over here BUT all in all the place is good and far better than being back in the UK. If I got to the stage some people have got on here where everything appears to be bleak and the whole of the UAE is crap then I would quit my job and move back home in an instance.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:49 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Your only out by a few thousand years...

The first historical mention of the UK is from the Massaliote Periplus, a sailing manual for merchants thought to date to the 6th century BC, although cultural and trade links with the continent had existed for millennia prior to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_england
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris79

I don't like some things over here BUT all in all the place is good and far better than being back in the UK. If I got to the stage some people have got on here where everything appears to be bleak and the whole of the UAE is crap then I would quit my job and move back home in an instance.
you agree that Britain is only 300 years old

good post Beard Man, this Country has alot to learn though, let's hope they learn by their mistakes and correct things when possible.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:50 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that the UK is the oldest country in the world - as in with borders that haven't changed. Don't quote me on that.

What gets my goat is the fact that the UAE is modelling itself to a certain extent on the West but has not learnt from the West's mistakes (and there have been many). Therefore, what comes across is a veneer of westernisation - and a lot of pretty hypocritcal lip-service - but with fundamental differences that undermine what it *seems* to want to achieve.

It seems to me at least that there's been a bit of a pick'n'mix of laws, goals and "rights" - "oo, we like a the look of a free economy, but we'll pass on enforcing employee rights"... "yeah, let's grow this place with expats, but you know what, let's make sure they know they're second-class citizens when times get tough"

Anyhow, yes, the UAE is young and still learning... or is it learning? Part of the learning process is to admit failings and deal with them appropriately.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;7336530]you agree that Britain is only 300 years old
QUOTE]

You know what I mean!!
TBH I didn't have a clue how old it actually was BUT knew it was slightly more than 300!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Chris79;7336535]
Originally Posted by Blue Cat
QUOTE]

You know what I mean!!
TBH I didn't have a clue how old it actually was BUT knew it was slightly more than 300!
I was winding you up
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;7336536]

I was winding you up
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:54 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I've heard that the UK is the oldest country in the world - as in with borders that haven't changed. Don't quote me on that.
I find that very hard to believe given that we Brits were running around in bearskins when the Egyptians, Persians, Greeks and other cultures were already fully developed. If its because the borders haven't changed then surely that's simply a logistical factor associated with the UK being a small island difficult to invade. In any event, surely Greece must be older.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:55 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Chris79;7336535]
Originally Posted by Blue Cat
QUOTE]

You know what I mean!!
Well Stonehenge is 3,000 years old to start with!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers;7336545]

Well Stonehenge is 3,000 years old to start with!
I should have known that as well - I spend 2 yrs working in Wiltshire.
History was never my fav subject at school
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:02 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

thanks chris .. and long time no see
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks chris .. and long time no see
No problem
Too much work

Just having a little break and catching up on BE.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Your only out by a few thousand years...

The first historical mention of the UK is from the Massaliote Periplus, a sailing manual for merchants thought to date to the 6th century BC, although cultural and trade links with the continent had existed for millennia prior to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_england

I meant when the dark ages were ended which was like 500 years back only.

there is an old history for any nation .. and i assume this is a comen sense regardless of their position in that history.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:06 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I find that very hard to believe given that we Brits were running around in bearskins when the Egyptians, Persians, Greeks and other cultures were already fully developed. If its because the borders haven't changed then surely that's simply a logistical factor associated with the UK being a small island difficult to invade. In any event, surely Greece must be older.
no, that's the small print - it's the oldest current country... like yeah, the roman empire was far bigger, but it ain't here now, is it?

France has had its borders changed in the last century, Germany and Italy were only formed in the 19th century, America is 200 years old... Spain was pretty fragmented. Russia, China, India... all had regime changes in the last hundred years...

Hmm, thinking about it, maybe my tenous fact also has something to do with our government not changing either.

Oh, I don't know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.