Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another Bloody Discgrace

Another Bloody Discgrace

Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:04 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Bloody Discgrace

Originally Posted by hawkhead
yes...and didn't the heathen rich pay the poor to say their prayers for them? Something along those lines anyway.

I find it really annoying when people who are as essentially non-religious as I am still automatically say CofE or whatever. Ditto people who have a religious ceremony at their wedding/christen their children but don't actually believe in a word of the sermon (if that's what you call the speaking bit at these dos!). Why do they do it? Conforming to the norm? (Although the truth is probably the opposite) Habit? Does 'atheist' seem like a dirty word to some people? I don't know but it really screws the figures when looking at the amount of religious folk. An earlier post said 50% of the UK were atheist/agnostic or non-believers. Well in that case our churches, mosques, synagogues, whatever should be full to the brim with 30million+ ardent believers.....
Yes, I have a problem with being of X Religion by default... I think the choice should be a conscious and informed decision... and you can't make that choice when you're a few days old and don't even know your hands are your own.

At the end of the day, everyone lives their lives by a set of moral standards, whether they have been set by others, discribed in a book or set by the person themselves...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:08 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another Bloody Discgrace

Originally Posted by MataHari
so what would you call a person that doesn't really think about 'the meaning of life, why are we here, what is it all for, is this all there is etc'...but just lives life as it comes from day to day, trying to make the best of it for himself and where possible for the people around him...
Normal .

Seriously though I'm not really sure MH but it appears to be some sort of anti-cognitive belief system . It would be interesting to see how the individual would respond if asked what the meaning of life was, because like asking someone not to think of a black cat we simply can't comply to the request without thinking of a black cat . Logic loop?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

People do it to please and because thats what everyone else has done!
Yes, that's why I was christened, much to my disgust!

I prefer a nice civil ceremony, takes about 30 mins which is perfect in my opinion and then off to get yer champers filled...
Too right!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:12 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Does 'atheist' seem like a dirty word to some people?
Yes, I think it does to some people. I must admit, I tick the box for Christian on applications where this is required. I'm not a "Christian" but, perhaps it's my upbringing, that seems the normal thing to do.

I'm not sure what I am; I used to be an athiest but now I don't believe in all that sh1t.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:14 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Normal .

Seriously though I'm not really sure MH but it appears to be some sort of anti-cognitive belief system . It would be interesting to see how the individual would respond if asked what the meaning of life was, because like asking someone not to think of a black cat we simply can't comply to the request without thinking of a black cat . Logic loop?
I think the logical sequence ends in something helpful like "because we do"...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:24 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I think the logical sequence ends in something helpful like "because we do"...
Or perhaps in the modern world "We don't know...yet...".
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:33 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Normal .
thanks...

just wondering...should there be a meaning to life at all...don't people just get born, live their life and then die...what's wrong with that, why make a bigger deal out of it, what benefits does that actually bring...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:53 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

thanks...

just wondering...should there be a meaning to life at all...don't people just get born, live their life and then die...what's wrong with that, why make a bigger deal out of it, what benefits does that actually bring...
Your asking the wrong person really.

Perhaps some people feel safer thinking that they are unique snowflakes of special unique specialness or sacred manifestations of love rather than the same decaying organic matter as everyone else?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:57 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Your asking the wrong person really.

Perhaps some people feel safer thinking that they are unique snowflakes of special unique specialness or sacred manifestations of love rather than the same decaying organic matter as everyone else?
hmmmm.....well, I am certainly special cause my car has got white stripes on top of it...and other people know it cause they move out of the way when they see me coming...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:05 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

so what would you call a person that doesn't really think about 'the meaning of life, why are we here, what is it all for, is this all there is etc'...but just lives life as it comes from day to day, trying to make the best of it for himself and where possible for the people around him...
...probably a 'stoic existentialist'...but I prefer Charismatic's answer of "normal"
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:19 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm.....well, I am certainly special cause my car has got white stripes on top of it...and other people know it cause they move out of the way when they see me coming...
Or they could be mistaking it for mine!!!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:22 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Or they could be mistaking it for mine!!!!
I think you drive more carefully than I do...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:26 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I think you drive more carefully than I do...
Indubitably, coz Im a man, and you are not....
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:47 pm
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

I would say

a lost good soul.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:47 pm
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

What your describing is existentialism (Which is defined as a philosophical movement which posits that individuals create the meaning and essence of their lives, as opposed to it being created for them by deities or authorities or defined for them by philosophical or theological doctrines). Not all Atheists have existential beliefs, though it does often feature quite strongly (perhaps 70 to 80% of Atheists I've met have existential belief systems).

For my own perspective however existential belief systems suffer from a subtle logic flaw that takes a long time to dawn on people (if ever). As Atheism develops this will probably be one of the biggest changes that will happen and, even now, clearly splits Atheists into two distinct groups.

would those two groups fight each other one day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.