Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another Bloody Discgrace

Another Bloody Discgrace

Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:40 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Bloody Discgrace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
must be the bit about "benefit of one and all".

that one is pretty dubious
..perhaps it's the one about path of life being strewn with cowpats !
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
..perhaps it's the one about path of life being strewn with cowpats !
BM couldn't mean that one! No sane rational pers... Hang on.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:11 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
So which ones arent. BM?
you want me to get banned don't you. lol

enough of talking about religion
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:14 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
And how much choice have you ever really had in what to believe in BM? Do you have a choice in your life to be anything but a muslim? What would happen if you decided to change your religion or become atheist? Have you ever had the chance to read On Origin of the Species? Have you ever had the chance to read The God Delusion? Have you ever had the chance to really form your own ideas and opinions or have they all come from your religious teaching/upbringing?

i had the chance to look at other religions and see their teaching and i didn't read the God Delusion (assuming it is a book) .. and i am not the kind of people who form his ideas and opinion based on what his family say... as i said before i disagreed alot with my family in my occasions and managed to change their mind.

i seek truth wherever truth is. i can fool others .. but have no interest in fooling my self .... and this universe is not there just out of a sudden .. there must be a creator who is so greatfull to make it.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:28 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another Bloody Discgrace

Originally Posted by Beard Man
would those two groups fight each other one day?
Hard to see how at the moment, more likely that one group "converts" the other.

If you look at the definition of existentialism as:
"Existentialism is a philosophical movement which posits that individuals create the meaning and essence of their lives, as opposed to it being created for them by deities or authorities or defined for them by philosophical or theological doctrines."
Then clearly you would summarise that humans have a free will?

Yet this seems at odds with many of the discoveries of science which point towards an increasingly mechanical world, a system filled with infinite strings of cause and effect. A sort of absolute, basic material model rather than on in which humans have a choice. Often when we use the word "freedom" now we mean "alternative choice".
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:22 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Hard to see how at the moment, more likely that one group "converts" the other.

If you look at the definition of existentialism as:
"Existentialism is a philosophical movement which posits that individuals create the meaning and essence of their lives, as opposed to it being created for them by deities or authorities or defined for them by philosophical or theological doctrines."
Then clearly you would summarise that humans have a free will?

Yet this seems at odds with many of the discoveries of science which point towards an increasingly mechanical world, a system filled with infinite strings of cause and effect. A sort of absolute, basic material model rather than on in which humans have a choice. Often when we use the word "freedom" now we mean "alternative choice".
yup, but in that context, you're talking about "meaning" of life and the free will to decide what that meaning is... which is only part of being alive.

It's obvious that free will is limited when it comes to interacting with the tangible world because most choices boil down (albeit sometimes remotely) to "die or not die".

Rules that govern social interaction also boil down to that basic choice. To be part of a group is to increase your chances of living, and because we all like living, "fitting in" has become an instinct.

In a way [brainwave ahoy], it's hardly surprising that "social rules" are more prevalent in more extreme environments. How would you rate your chances of survival if you were an outcast and stuck in the desert?!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Mar 10th 2009 at 10:27 am.