Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Another Bloody Discgrace

Another Bloody Discgrace

Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:18 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Bloody Discgrace

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Doesn't happen that way BM. Most (I guess, don't have any figures to back this up) terrorists have been brainwashed (sorry BM but that is how I feel about religion) to believe that they are fighting for a cause that god will praise them for, not that they will be questioned for.

Yes. Bloody crazy, but you could be the worst scum possible and if you truly repent you will be forgiven. That's what Catholics believe.

Maybe they're classing agnostics and/or non-practising religious as non-religious?

BM, you are right that the media constantly link Islam with terrorism, often unfairly, and I'm sure that is the reason for a lot of anti-Islamic feeling, but the bottom line is that your fanatical brothers are not helping - they are not exactly good PR for Islam. To put it lightly.

ok there are some terrorist who are brain washed by some bad scholars i totally agree with that.. but those brainwashed people are working as a group which is something that governments, armies and policemen can control or fight back.
but when we speak about atheistism and that they will not be questioned after death we are speaking about individual behaviors and thinking which is sometimes more dangrous because it can not be monitored and therefore you can't take actions againest it.

so this is the Catholics believe !!! in Islam faith alone is not enough a muslim will be question after death for everything he did during his life.

to be honest i don't seem like i understand the differences between Atheisim and agnostics
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

to be honest i don't seem like i understand the differences between Atheisim and agnostics
Agnostics believe that they cannot believe in a god for which there is no proof.
Atheists have no belief in any god full stop.

It's often thought as that atheists don't believe and agnostics are not sure, but it's a little bit more complex than that.

You should read The God Delusion by Richard Hawking BM. I think you would find it interesting. You probably can't get it here though.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't happen that way BM. Most (I guess, don't have any figures to back this up) terrorists have been brainwashed (sorry BM but that is how I feel about religion) to believe that they are fighting for a cause that god will praise them for, not that they will be questioned for.

Yes. Bloody crazy, but you could be the worst scum possible and if you truly repent you will be forgiven. That's what Catholics believe.

Maybe they're classing agnostics and/or non-practising religious as non-religious?

BM, you are right that the media constantly link Islam with terrorism, often unfairly, and I'm sure that is the reason for a lot of anti-Islamic feeling, but the bottom line is that your fanatical brothers are not helping - they are not exactly good PR for Islam. To put it lightly.
Catholics believe that?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Yep. Please correct me if I'm wrong but my maternal side of the family are/were Catholics and that is what I am told.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:50 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Agnostics believe that they cannot believe in a god for which there is no proof.
Atheists have no belief in any god full stop.

It's often thought as that atheists don't believe and agnostics are not sure, but it's a little bit more complex than that.

You should read The God Delusion by Richard Hawking BM. I think you would find it interesting. You probably can't get it here though.
why can't people here become as polite as you are.

thanks alot mate
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

why can't people here become as polite as you are.
Thank you BM! You know, a while back I nearly stopped posting here because I thought many posters were very aggressive. Guess I've got used to them now....
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beard Man
so for small percentage of bad Muslims the media will continually refers to them as Islamite terrorist until you make each Muslim feel that as long he is a Muslim he is a terrorist or suspected to be a terrorist in their eyes

Do you want the rest of muslims to be in your side or their side?

Don’t you have consideration to the feelings of muslims??

and yes i want a list of all these groups around the world and the number of people who belongs to these groups ..and then i want you to compare it with the number of Muslims world wide to get my point
You can look up all the groups you want on google ....

Its like this....The fact is simple. Your daughter is scratched by a bad street cat. You think she has an infection. You take her to hospital. Doctor: "This looks serious, what did this to her? I need to know so I can treat her" you reply "an animal" , "yes, but what sort - this is important!!" says the doctor. Your wife has five lovely cats at home and all the family love them... but it was still a cat that hurt your daughter.......
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:58 am
Banned

Thank you BM! You know, a while back I nearly stopped posting here because I thought many posters were very aggressive. Guess I've got used to them now....
so my stubborness is now encouraging some to write again lol
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by B Bear
You can look up all the groups you want on google ....

Its like this....The fact is simple. Your daughter is scratched by a bad street cat. You think she has an infection. You take her to hospital. Doctor: "This looks serious, what did this to her? I need to know so I can treat her" you reply "an animal" , "yes, but what sort - this is important!!" says the doctor. Your wife has five lovely cats at home and all the family love them... but it was still a cat that hurt your daughter.......
i couldn't digest your Analogy
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

exactly you are right ...after 9/11 the media is more like an enamy of islam
I wonder why that was then
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:14 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I think they must be... I mean, so many people are baptised into various forms of Christianity and then never go to church, but they often discribe themselves as CofE/Catholic/Whatever.

I went to school in France and I'd say that in my rural school, I was the only child out of 250 that hadn't been baptised. Some went to Sunday School to do their Confirmation, some went to mass - most didn't, but they'd all discribe themselves as Catholic.

BM, another thing that you may find interesting would be to look into Catholicism and the various branches of Christianity. The idea that you could essentially live a slightly less than moral life, repent on your death-bed and then go to Heaven led to some rather inventive practices - in the Middle Ages, selling Forgiveness was often a nice little earner. It was also the basis for European society and culture at that point too... not too unlike here, now.

Christianity as a family of religions has had (and still has) its fair share of fanatics, exporting the "love thy neighbour" mantra in novel and often horrifically violent ways.

I'm fascinated by the whole business, tbh.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

in the Middle Ages, selling Forgiveness was often a nice little earner.
yes...and didn't the heathen rich pay the poor to say their prayers for them? Something along those lines anyway.

I find it really annoying when people who are as essentially non-religious as I am still automatically say CofE or whatever. Ditto people who have a religious ceremony at their wedding/christen their children but don't actually believe in a word of the sermon (if that's what you call the speaking bit at these dos!). Why do they do it? Conforming to the norm? (Although the truth is probably the opposite) Habit? Does 'atheist' seem like a dirty word to some people? I don't know but it really screws the figures when looking at the amount of religious folk. An earlier post said 50% of the UK were atheist/agnostic or non-believers. Well in that case our churches, mosques, synagogues, whatever should be full to the brim with 30million+ ardent believers.....
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

yes...and didn't the heathen rich pay the poor to say their prayers for them? Something along those lines anyway.

I find it really annoying when people who are as essentially non-religious as I am still automatically say CofE or whatever. Ditto people who have a religious ceremony at their wedding/christen their children but don't actually believe in a word of the sermon (if that's what you call the speaking bit at these dos!). Why do they do it? Conforming to the norm? (Although the truth is probably the opposite) Habit? Does 'atheist' seem like a dirty word to some people? I don't know but it really screws the figures when looking at the amount of religious folk. An earlier post said 50% of the UK were atheist/agnostic or non-believers. Well in that case our churches, mosques, synagogues, whatever should be full to the brim with 30million+ ardent believers.....
HH I think also tradition plays a part in this too... People do it to please and because thats what everyone else has done!

I prefer a nice civil ceremony, takes about 30 mins which is perfect in my opinion and then off to get yer champers filled...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another Bloody Discgrace

but when we speak about atheistism and that they will not be questioned after death we are speaking about individual behaviors and thinking which is sometimes more dangrous because it can not be monitored and therefore you can't take actions againest it.
What your describing is existentialism (Which is defined as a philosophical movement which posits that individuals create the meaning and essence of their lives, as opposed to it being created for them by deities or authorities or defined for them by philosophical or theological doctrines). Not all Atheists have existential beliefs, though it does often feature quite strongly (perhaps 70 to 80% of Atheists I've met have existential belief systems).

For my own perspective however existential belief systems suffer from a subtle logic flaw that takes a long time to dawn on people (if ever). As Atheism develops this will probably be one of the biggest changes that will happen and, even now, clearly splits Atheists into two distinct groups.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:48 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What your describing is existentialism (Which is defined as a philosophical movement which posits that individuals create the meaning and essence of their lives, as opposed to it being created for them by deities or authorities or defined for them by philosophical or theological doctrines). Not all Atheists have existential beliefs, though it does often feature quite strongly (perhaps 70 to 80% of Atheists I've met have existential belief systems).

For my own perspective however existential belief systems suffer from a subtle logic flaw that takes a long time to dawn on people (if ever). As Atheism develops this will probably be one of the biggest changes that will happen and, even now, clearly splits Atheists into two distinct groups.
so what would you call a person that doesn't really think about 'the meaning of life, why are we here, what is it all for, is this all there is etc'...but just lives life as it comes from day to day, trying to make the best of it for himself and where possible for the people around him...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.