You know your in the UK when .....

Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your in the UK when .....

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
I wasn't being sarcastic as it happens. More below.

FACT: Milder winters allow germs to thrive much better and longer. Another FACT: If you have a cold and it's 40 degrees, that does get a bit difficult.

I'm sorry old chum but you have such a shock waiting for you when you get here and find that your paradise suddenly isn't.

FWIW I like it here, I'm glad that I came and I will be staying. On balance, for me it's better than the U.K. but it is NOT undiluted paradise. Do you yet beleive that Perth can go down to 3 degrees in winter?
Might it not be the case though that just living in one's own paradise is enough and that he will be happy with his lot with all that it brings?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:45 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Might it not be the case though that just living in one's own paradise is enough and that he will be happy with his lot with all that it brings?
Yes, and I hope it works out but all his posts paint this rosey picture. I'm not the only one on here to try to open his eyes. And I'm one of the "I love being in Oz" mob. But one has to be realistic. It can get cold in Perth. You get colds in Perth, after 3 months, heat can get boring. But there we are.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
No one believes that people get colds and flu in warmer climates as much as they do here in freezing cold Blighty, we get them year round with the summers, if you can call them that, being warmish and then cold and miserable, I suppose someone will try to convince us that they do get it as much living in the sun, but I don't believe it for one minute.
You know this of course, having lived here for so long........colds, coughs, flu symptoms, full-blown flu, all just as common here, all year round, even in the lovely stinking hot paradise of Queensland. But of course I'm just making this up, I've been living with my head in a bucket for the last 10 years and not been working in more germ-ridden offices than I could ever have imagined.

If i could be bothered I could find two dozen old threads about it at least but i don't think you are worth the effort.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:58 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Yes, and I hope it works out but all his posts paint this rosey picture. I'm not the only one on here to try to open his eyes. And I'm one of the "I love being in Oz" mob. But one has to be realistic. It can get cold in Perth. You get colds in Perth, after 3 months, heat can get boring. But there we are.

Things are good for me in the UK, I'm sure it will be the same in Australia, i see the positives of being able to live in two of the best countries in the world, the UK as you know has been struggling for a few years now, whereas Australia has been booming, but i expect to carry on having a great life, if not i will come back, but I won't moan about it incessantly like some.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, I am aware it gets cold in Perth, Never been there myself but several friends live there so I get to share via skype/email.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartanrock
........when the signs are written in english.....
Except when you are in Wales.........cross the border from England and suddenly you have a choice of two languages to guide you on your way...even the signs painted on the roads and on display in supermarkets are bilingual but less than a fifth of the locals are conversant with both languages and in some areas hardly any at all.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
.........when you post a letter knowing it will get to its recipient the next day!
True in most cases but the stamps certainly don't come cheap and the Post Office is seeking permission to raise the postage rates yet again......
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:40 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

FACT: Milder winters allow germs to thrive much better and longer. Another FACT: If you have a cold and it's 40 degrees, that does get a bit difficult.

I'm sorry old chum but you have such a shock waiting for you when you get here and find that your paradise suddenly isn't.
Our kids were forever coming down with colds and bugs in Brisbane, as you say it is a FACT that warmer weather actually prolongs a cold. I cant believe that in this day and age some still believe that cold weather causes colds
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You might need to nip down to Bunnings and get some extra strength crowbars.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:47 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

YKYITUKW

A pub landlord sighs when you walk into his bar to give him some money.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Zen10
YKYITUKW

A pub landlord sighs when you walk into his bar to give him some money.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:33 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Except when you are in Wales.........cross the border from England and suddenly you have a choice of two languages to guide you on your way...even the signs painted on the roads and on display in supermarkets are bilingual but less than a fifth of the locals are conversant with both languages and in some areas hardly any at all.
... while in other areas the majority speak Welsh, while the proportion of the overall population that is Welsh-speaking has risen continuously over the last 3 decades.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:42 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
True in most cases but the stamps certainly don't come cheap and the Post Office is seeking permission to raise the postage rates yet again......
And yet how amazing is it that you can drop a letter in a box anywhere - even the most remote village - and know it will reach its destination the next day? Just because something has traditionally been ridiculously cheap doesn't mean it will -or should - continue that way. See America for what happens when the post office isn't allowed to raise rates. All the post boxes near my house were taken away over the course of a year and we had to walk at least a mile to post a letter despite living just a few miles from one of the world's biggest cities. And the service was notoriously unreliable with mail constantly going missing. I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee for the service that's provided here.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
And yet how amazing is it that you can drop a letter in a box anywhere - even the most remote village - and know it will reach its destination the next day? Just because something has traditionally been ridiculously cheap doesn't mean it will -or should - continue that way. See America for what happens when the post office isn't allowed to raise rates. All the post boxes near my house were taken away over the course of a year and we had to walk at least a mile to post a letter despite living just a few miles from one of the world's biggest cities. And the service was notoriously unreliable with mail constantly going missing. I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee for the service that's provided here.
I never fail to be amazed at how quickly we receive things through the post, I can order something late one day and get it the next morning and the cost seems very reasonable indeed.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The pavements are covered in dogshit !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.