You know your in the UK when .....

Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your in the UK when .....

Originally Posted by Maltoo View Post
I used to be a bartender and while we did keep a bottle of Angostura Bitters behind the bar, I only used it once when someone ordered an "Old Fashion". It is just something not used enough anymore maybe you should start a trend and start ordering "Pink Gin" next time you are at the Pub. Being that a Cuba Libre has been around over 100 years and is just a simple Rum and coke with lime and the Mojito has been around since the 1500's and some say the drink should be made with bitters I would not add them to your list more appropriate would be appletinis and blue bazookas.

I do recall having a pink gin once in my life at a rather fine establishment called Simpson's Tavern on Cornhill in The City.

I was going to so that:

You know you are (back) in the UK (after your vacation) when you can no longer readily get these cocktails.

Even out here in Rum World, I've not seen anybody asking for rum-based cocktails like swizzles and planter's punch. The Antillean French here ask for Créole Ti Punch which is rhum agricole, lime or other fruit flavors, and cane syrup.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post

I do recall having a pink gin once in my life at a rather fine establishment called Simpson's Tavern on Cornhill in The City.

I was going to so that:

You know you are (back) in the UK (after your vacation) when you can no longer readily get these cocktails.

Even out here in Rum World, I've not seen anybody asking for rum-based cocktails like swizzles and planter's punch. The Antillean French here ask for Créole Ti Punch which is rhum agricole, lime or other fruit flavors, and cane syrup.
Sounds fabuloso (to quote Patsy from Ab Fab) having never tried a swizzle or a Creole Ti Punch though I am somewhat in the dark once we get past Ron Bacardi & Pepsi Light !
Although I do like a Pusser's or a Wood's around Xmas.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

the Ti punch does sound yummy, might be a little on the sweet side but would love to try it.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective View Post
Sounds fabuloso (to quote Patsy from Ab Fab) having never tried a swizzle or a Creole Ti Punch though I am somewhat in the dark once we get past Ron Bacardi & Pepsi Light !
Although I do like a Pusser's or a Wood's around Xmas.
Once had the misguided idea to have a swizzle (only) party early on in my days in Bermuda and discovered guests doing terrible things on my living room furniture.

The juices in the mix mean that the strong drink if made with multiple - particularly strong, like Woods - rums can really sneak up on you. We tend to gulp things down in the tropics.

Nevertheless, it would be a good UK Summer barbeque drink, even if made with a supermarket blend.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Once had the misguided idea to have a swizzle (only) party early on in my days in Bermuda and discovered guests doing terrible things on my living room furniture.

The juices in the mix mean that the strong drink if made with multiple - particularly strong, like Woods - rums can really sneak up on you. We tend to gulp things down in the tropics.

Nevertheless, it would be a good UK Summer barbeque drink, even if made with a supermarket blend.
Oh dear, I hope your furniture wasn't ruined!
As for supermarket blended rum, you won't find pusser's rum in a supermarket around here. You will find it around your location as it's made there these days.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:41 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

You see every second person blowing snot bubbles, cos of the never ending colds and flu everyone gets throughout the long, cold, wet, dark, dreary, grey, miserable UK winter.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:54 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. View Post
You see every second person blowing snot bubbles, cos of the never ending colds and flu everyone gets throughout the long, cold, wet, dark, dreary, grey, miserable UK winter.
Sounds rather like my office in Brisbane at the moment.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Sounds rather like my office in Brisbane at the moment.
Yep, colds and flu do their rounds of the Caribbean too.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:05 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing worse than a cold in a hot climate.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
There is nothing worse than a cold in a hot climate.
A lot would disagree and say there is nothing worse than a cold in a cold climate.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective View Post
A lot would disagree and say there is nothing worse than a cold in a cold climate.
Is not Sherlock (from temperate Victoria) being sarcastic (blah blah) ref almost tropical Brisbane and tropical Caribbean.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Is not Sherlock (from temperate Victoria) being sarcastic (blah blah) ref almost tropical Brisbane and tropical Caribbean.
I have always taken Blah Blah to mean boredom not sarcasm so I didn't reach the same conclusion as to the grammatical mood of the piece as your good self.
However, if that is the way you took it I happily concede your point.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:17 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

No one believes that people get colds and flu in warmer climates as much as they do here in freezing cold Blighty, we get them year round with the summers, if you can call them that, being warmish and then cold and miserable, I suppose someone will try to convince us that they do get it as much living in the sun, but I don't believe it for one minute.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:23 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't being sarcastic as it happens. More below.

No one believes that people get colds and flu in warmer climates as much as they do here in freezing cold Blighty, we get them year round with the summers, if you can call them that, being warmish and then cold and miserable, I suppose someone will try to convince us that they do get it as much living in the sun, but I don't believe it for one minute.
FACT: Milder winters allow germs to thrive much better and longer. Another FACT: If you have a cold and it's 40 degrees, that does get a bit difficult.

I'm sorry old chum but you have such a shock waiting for you when you get here and find that your paradise suddenly isn't.

FWIW I like it here, I'm glad that I came and I will be staying. On balance, for me it's better than the U.K. but it is NOT undiluted paradise. Do you yet beleive that Perth can go down to 3 degrees in winter?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:26 am
Banned

Still not buying it, cheers for trying to convince me anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.