Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Trottytrue, I once had a salesman repeatedly call to see if I would make an appointment for some kind of freezer full of meat scheme, he said when he came he would bring 2lbs of the finest hamburger meat there was. So I made an appointment for 3am in the morning, funny he never showed up and I never heard form him again.

Had some bad news this week, hubby called to let me know on Thursday that the care had conked out, we have a 2005 Kia. It only has just over 80,000 klm but was told that the timing chain had come apart and that it had caused damaged to the engine. They have quoted us a bill of $1,600.00
which again wipes out our savings, hubby needs this car to get to work which is 40 klm each way, no public transport there on the island. They also told him that this part needed to be changed at 100,000 klm or this happens, tell me if I am just stupid or what, if a part needs to be changed and has the possibilty of doing this sort of damage then why not rectify the problem so this does not happen in the first place
Oh ED that is awful news, are you sure he's not just better off using the $1,600 for a different used car instead? Dh bought mine on craigslist for $1,000
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mummy in the foothills.. Forget tolerance. They all should be thrown on a plane and sent back to where they came from. Frightening thing is they were probably born in the UK.

Today I had a phone call from 'Kirby Cleaners' asking me would I like my carpet cleaned and my wood floor buffed. I asked did I have to buy anything to get it done The answer was no. So being as someone is supposed to come and look at the house tomorrow I thought what a good idea. Instead of me doing the work let someone else do it for me. WAS I WRONG....I knew I was in trouble when I saw this 20year old girl struggling up the pathway with a couple of boxes under her arms. I opened the door and in she came.
She asked what I was looking for and I explained I wanted my floor buffing and the carpet in the front room cleaning. SHE said before she could do that I would have to listen to her give a talk on the' KIRBY cleaner'. I had to sit for nearly an hour while she went on and on about this cleaner showing me every spare part it had. Then she said would I like to see a demonstration. I could not wait. Only trouble was she did not give the demonstration I was given the hoover and told to get use to it and see how I liked it while she followed me around the room removing filters from the hoover and dropping them on the floor she then said before we can buff the kitchen floor we need to see how dirty it is so she had ME hoover it over and over and over again until in the end I said thats enough. She then decided to buff it but only one small 6ft by 6ft. When I was not happy with it she then proceeded to pour water mixed with carpet shampoo onto the floor and set the carpet cleaner in motion. She had foaming bubbles everywhere Then she could not suck up all the bubbles from the floor so I had to get my mop out and do it for her. I asked her how many times she had done this before and she said she had only been doing it for two weeks. My floor was now soaking wet and she was trying to buff it. She then moved onto the bedroom flung the blankets back (I had just made the dam thing) and began to vacuum my bed and tell me it was full of bugs showing me pictures and telling me how they feed on my skin. At this point I wanted to kill her. :curse:
When she had finished she took my hand and shook it and said could she consider me a new member of the Kirby family. I cannot repeat to either you or her what was being said in my head. I told her no, I said she had not even give me a price for the hoover. she proceeded to sit me down and tell me all the good points about the cleaner and then showed me the cost. It turns out it cost $2,225.
After my 10th NO she packed up and left and I was left to clean the carpet and polish the kitchen floor. I was absolutely knackered mentally and physically I will never try to get something for nothing ever again.
So sorry......but I just need a good laugh right now!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand completely your love for your doggies as I don't know how many times I shed tears when I look at pictures of my two still back in Canada. Please if you feel that you ae in danger of any sort, make plans, get whatever you need and leave to a safe place, then make arrangements to come back home. Stay safe and know that we are here to support you in whatever way we can.
Thank you so much. It is our wedding anniversary today.......I just hope to get it over asap. I will take my dogs to get their rabies shots this week and after the blood test we will have six months to wait. I could not put these little girls in quarantine. Then I will busy myself clearing out closets etc. I am very blessed to have friends in the dog community all over the world and so I already have lots of British and Euro friends. I wish I could accelerate my move, but after 38 years there is much to be done. I am judging in Sweden next July and so that might be the logical time to move......after all they will be paying my airfare.
I am so happy to have found tis list - you are all the greatest.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
After my 10th NO she packed up and left and I was left to clean the carpet and polish the kitchen floor. I was absolutely knackered mentally and physically I will never try to get something for nothing ever again.
I read every word of your post.
These quotes:
"There's no free lunch"
"If its too good to be true then it probably isn't"

I know it was no laughing matter but I couldn't help but smile.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had the same reaction.

Last edited by cheers; Nov 14th 2010 at 4:04 pm. Reason: Ad
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Had some bad news this week, hubby called to let me know on Thursday that the care had conked out, we have a 2005 Kia. It only has just over 80,000 klm but was told that the timing chain had come apart and that it had caused damaged to the engine. They have quoted us a bill of $1,600.00
which again wipes out our savings, hubby needs this car to get to work which is 40 klm each way, no public transport there on the island. They also told him that this part needed to be changed at 100,000 klm or this happens, tell me if I am just stupid or what, if a part needs to be changed and has the possibilty of doing this sort of damage then why not rectify the problem so this does not happen in the first place
As some else has said there are extended warrentees on these cars. Kia is owned by Hyundai. If all else fails I would get on the phone or write to them, Kia, because they should be concerned about their reputation and they probably will makes things right.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am trying to add some pictures but can't remember how, can anyone help.
Me too. Why can't it be simple????
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-img_0019.jpg

Experimenting with photos.
This is our PUG.

It worked!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Attachment 96895

Experimenting with photos.
This is our PUG.

It worked!
Ah, isn't he/she lovely, I will try again with the photos
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

If this works, this is the view from the balcony of my flat and one of wee Macgregor, at two weeks old wee Mac for short.OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-wee-mac-005.jpg

Hey it worked
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-img_3682.jpg  

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 14th 2010 at 4:49 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

If this works, this is the view from the balcony of my flatAttachment 96901

Hey it worked
That is lovely ED....there is nothing like having a water view whether it be the sea, lake (loch) or river. It is ever changing and always some movement which I love and find very comforting.

I am so sorry about your car back in Canada. I do hope this gets resolved for you. I tried to find a similar situation on a Kia forum for you but don't have too much time to play on the internet right now as I will be homeless as of Tuesday. Moving into friend's house until departing for London in just over a week. Very exciting times ahead but also scary having ones lifetime in boxes with no home. It's all good.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

If this works, this is the view from the balcony of my flat and one of wee Macgregor, at two weeks old wee Mac for short.Attachment 96902

Hey it worked
He is sooo cute.

Looking at getting a dog (or 2 if in the country) once settled in England.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

If this works, this is the view from the balcony of my flat and one of wee Macgregor, at two weeks old wee Mac for short.Attachment 96902

Hey it worked
Lovely photos - so nice to have a view of the river - and cute little dog! You must miss your little dogs.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney goes home the week after next.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
. move to UK get used to 2 minutes silence and poppies (did you see that fiasco?)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11744811 I'm honestly becoming less tolerant as I get older.
Me too, deport them or just lock them upand throw away the key, if they hate brits why are they living there. MORONS.

Go and live in a place you Love, thats what I say...
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
That is lovely ED....there is nothing like having a water view whether it be the sea, lake (loch) or river. It is ever changing and always some movement which I love and find very comforting.

I am so sorry about your car back in Canada. I do hope this gets resolved for you. I tried to find a similar situation on a Kia forum for you but don't have too much time to play on the internet right now as I will be homeless as of Tuesday. Moving into friend's house until departing for London in just over a week. Very exciting times ahead but also scary having ones lifetime in boxes with no home. It's all good.
Thanks Hightide, did the same last night also, but couldn't find out much. The wee dog is a Yorkshire Terrier one of four, week old puppies, they belong to a friend of mine who lives in Loch Lomond.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.