Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Y

Good for your son, and it will be good for you when you get over here with him here. You are correct there are jobs over here somethimes you may not find the right one right away, but they are here.
Thanks Peigi, and even if he doesn't stay over there, I belong there I know that now for sure, no use pretending, well to be honest I always knew it - I was just suppressing my feelings.

He is off to Wales with my sister for an overnight stay, he reckons he is going surfing.......in the North Sea............in November!!!

Can't wait for the pics of him frozen like a lolly ice ha ha!!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this on the Aussie forum and thought you would be interested.......for now........until you get home.........:

The BBC's iPlayer video-on-demand service has been an unqualified success since its rollout back in 2007 and now it's taking the next logical step in expanding its reach: it's going global. Such is the word from John Smith, the generically named head of BBC Worldwide, who sees the international market for British shows as "under-exploited" and wants to see the iPlayer opened up beyond the Queen's home isles. Of course, since continental Europeans and North Americans aren't subject to the same backbreaking TV license fee, there'll be a new commercial element to the service, though the Beeb's bigwigs have yet to figure out if that means users will have to pay a levy or put up with some ads. Either way, we've got quite a few eager iPlayer viewers on our own staff, so we imagine whenever and however the switch does get flipped, it'll be welcomed by all.

I gave the free player that George gave us the info for a whirl last night but didn't have much luck with it, has anybody else tried it?, I used my Identity Cloaker which is not usually that good of a night and was able to watch 3 episodes of Corrie, no problem for some reason.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I do feel better just lately, could it be because I have decided to go HOME?
I am so happy for you. Sunday will be my 13th wedding anniversary in my second marriage. I am hoping to start a dialog after this date to let OH know that this is not all bluster. My brother advises me to wait until the house is either on the market or sold. He thinks that OH's sister - a divorce lawyer will get mean and try to make things difficult. It will be so nice to have family watching my back when I get home. Sad that my children live so far away, they support me long distance. This is very sad time for because my husband is a good man, but financially ruining both of us.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So Rosie lets study London as I have in the recent past. I tried St Johns Wood which looks like a nice area and I decided for me a studio would be alright because I don't plan on entertaining. In your case you would want to consider being close to your place of work and it would be nice if you could walk to work. As for the car, have you check into the car share system? There are a lot of places were they are parked in London. I'm sure you don't want the expense of owning one.

Thanks for the update! I don't think you have posted any pictures lately?

Have you picked up a London accent yet? Put another way, if you wanted to cover up your US accent for a brief conversation, could you do it? Sometimes it pays to avoid your accent when you ask someone something because the other person is distracted by the accent and is not listening to the question you are asking.

I can see how you can save 'mucho' money with the pass for the bus and thats why I would consider London and also as you said the availability of jobs thing. And I see lots of room on the buses that pass the Abbey Road Webcam.

Cheers
St. John's Wood is a nice place - many years ago it was a place I looked at for buying a flat, but even then it was out of reach. I have not checked into rents - will do that just for a lark. The Freedom Pass gives free travel on buses, underground, and trains in the London area. And buses in other towns too. Some train lines give free travel only AFTER 9:30 am Monday - Friday, and on weekends and holidays, but the tube is 24/7.
Have a look: http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/fre...ss/default.htm
Other towns and cities apparently have a similar system, but I have not looked into those - I will, if someone wants more information. Just ask. Since arriving in London, I purchased an Oyster card from a newsagents, at a cost of £3; then I added money to it - about £20 in total. This card gives discounted travel on the tubes/buses/trams, and the money on it does not expire - so I can leave it unused for any length of time, and the money on it will still be there when I use it next. There are yellow Oyster readers at the barriers in the tube/train stations, and on the buses/trams. You just rest your card against the reader and your fare is deducted. If you use the bus/tram, just rest it on the reader when you enter the vehicle. In the tube/train station, at the barriers, you rest it on entering and again on exiting and it calculates your fare and deducts it from your balance. It also gives you a read out when you make your exit, then you know how much is left in credit. All the newsagents give the service for Oyster, and it seems that they also give the top up service for pay-as-you-go mobile phone service. The Post Office also does a top up mobile service. Actually, the Post Office is now far more than a place to mail your letters - it has a Bureau de Change, photo booth, Passport check and send service, a bank service etc. Interesting how times have forced organisations to change - England seems very global in outlook now, no longer insular. Unless you are in a tiny backwater town, then it seems very old fashioned and quaint - like being on the set of Mapp and Lucia!! That is how I felt when I made my visit to Somerset when I first got here - but since that time, I have been out in the 'real world'.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Peigi, and even if he doesn't stay over there, I belong there I know that now for sure, no use pretending, well to be honest I always knew it - I was just suppressing my feelings.

He is off to Wales with my sister for an overnight stay, he reckons he is going surfing.......in the North Sea............in November!!!

North sea in Wales Barb? When I was in the army I went skinny dipping in the North sea in late October, and yes it was a bit parky. Nice to hear you are a bit more positive these days. Keep it up.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to see those pictures. Although the Polar bear club do go in (and quickly out) on new years in Llandudno. The Irish sea is bitter cold in summer even from my recollection,
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I am so happy for you. Sunday will be my 13th wedding anniversary in my second marriage. I am hoping to start a dialog after this date to let OH know that this is not all bluster. My brother advises me to wait until the house is either on the market or sold. He thinks that OH's sister - a divorce lawyer will get mean and try to make things difficult. It will be so nice to have family watching my back when I get home. Sad that my children live so far away, they support me long distance. This is very sad time for because my husband is a good man, but financially ruining both of us.
When I need help please give me advice.....
OH heard me on the phone complaining about life. He came downstairs threatening divorce....and said my friend to whom I telephoning is a gossip. He is right about that....but I needed to talk to someone. He scared me.
I had just reminded him on Wednesday evening that his (late son's birthday) was the following day......yesterday. So when I called him to his law office to check he had gone to the cemetery......he had forgotten again.
Now today he is so mad and I have no one to help me. I just want to take my dogs and disappear. It is sad to have no family support....and I am a bit of a coward.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:32 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

OH heard me on the phone complaining about life. He came downstairs threatening divorce....and said my friend to whom I telephoning is a gossip. He is right about that....but I needed to talk to someone. He scared me.
I had just reminded him on Wednesday evening that his (late son's birthday) was the following day......yesterday. So when I called him to his law office to check he had gone to the cemetery......he had forgotten again.
Now today he is so mad and I have no one to help me. I just want to take my dogs and disappear. It is sad to have no family support....and I am a bit of a coward.
Sounds like you need a consultation with the meanest divorce lawyer in the county, especially if his sister is going to be a total b word about it all. So sorry he scared you, he has no right to do that in your own home. Stay safe ((hugs))
Start to make an exit plan.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit...Perhaps he was mad at himself for forgetting his sons anniversary also sometimes if a person feels threatened they can strike out verbally especially if he thought you were talking about him to someone else and her being a gossip. When he has cooled down sit down with him and explain exactly how you feel. See how the land lies and then go from there.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit.
I cant tell you what to do, but I always say follow your gut feeling, If you fear for your life Get out, you know your husband, we dont know him at all, we know you guys are in a financial spot as you explained last week, its times like this you have to be 100% honest with yourself, Sometimes being a coward is a smart thing, you know your situation, I know youve put alot in to this home but sometimes its smarter and cheaper to walk away.

Its too bad he heard you talking to a gossip, people like that can make things much worse, you need a real friend right now, maybe your kids, but at the very least someone you can trust 100%.

You say you'd like to disappear, that makes me think you are very scared and would love to get out, thats why Im speaking like this.

I wish you well.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Nov 13th 2010 at 5:45 am. Reason: additional comments
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I do feel better just lately, could it be because I have decided to go HOME?
Hi Beedubya...

have not been on here for a few months and have just seen your post !!!
are you going back to live in the the u.k. again ???
Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

CelticSpirit, I do not know all the ins and outs of your marriage situation but from this message I think that you believe that you are in danger. My advice to you is to get as much money as you can together, wither it be selling off jewellary etc, grab your four legged babies and go. Wither your fears are imaginary or not they are real to you and therefore he must have done or said something in the past to make you feel like this. Life is to short to live like that and as I know from experience verbal abuse can lead to physical abuse. You also get to the point that you think that the problems that are exsisting in your marriage are your fault, which in turn makes your self esteem dive into the depths. Please get out before that happens, you are strong, you know what you need to do, don't wait for the house to sell or go on the market. If there is anything I can do to help you over here,please pm me and I will do whatever I can. God Bless
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:11 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hi Beedubya...

have not been on here for a few months and have just seen your post !!!
are you going back to live in the the u.k. again ???
Yes I am !!! I just cannot live here any longer and that's that!!

My best gf came over today and we spent about 5 hours together and we had a BIG talk, you see her partner wants to go back to NZ as he feels like me, they are both Kiwi's but she likes it here and he doesn't. So she totally understands where I am coming from.

I am now thinking of going back sooner rather than later but I am as scared as hell!!! I know it's silly but I am!!

She has ping ponged back and forth from NZ to Oz many times since she first arrrived here about 10 years ago, and we talked extensively of possessions and cars and jobs and selling up and starting over AGAIN and all that stuff and about how hard it can be at times but it all comes good in the end.

When she first arrived here she had no family here except a few distant cousins, no job to go to, nowhere to live really except a bed for a few nights in said cousins place, 3 suitcases of clothes and about $3000.00 in the bank and you know she survived!!

It has really done me good today to talk to her face to face.

And I felt obligated to stay so my daughter could go to the wedding in March, but her bf has put his apartment on the market last Saturday and they are looking at houses, well if they sell the apt. and buy a house there is no way she will be going to England to weddings, cheap air fares or not, they will need all their $$$$ for the house........and if she wanted to go to England so badly surely they would have waited until after March???

Of course this is all speculation on my part as I haven't told her yet........so.......we shall see.........

We were looking at my photos from last year and my gf said I looked different...hhmmmmm.

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 13th 2010 at 8:32 am.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Celticspirit.
I cant tell you what to do, but I always say follow your gut feeling, If you fear for your life Get out, you know your husband, we dont know him at all, we know you guys are in a financial spot as you explained last week, its times like this you have to be 100% honest with yourself, Sometimes being a coward is a smart thing, you know your situation, I know youve put alot in to this home but sometimes its smarter and cheaper to walk away.

Its too bad he heard you talking to a gossip, people like that can make things much worse, you need a real friend right now, maybe your kids, but at the very least someone you can trust 100%.

You say you'd like to disappear, that makes me think you are very scared and would love to get out, thats why Im speaking like this.

I wish you well.
I agree F & C, sometimes it is better to cut your losses and get out. Could you stay with your kids for a while until things cool down?

And you know you have us to talk to on here, we will support you. As if you don't feel bad enough living where you don't want to, you don't need to take verbal abuse as well.

Take Care
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by bluenose123
North sea in Wales Barb? When I was in the army I went skinny dipping in the North sea in late October, and yes it was a bit parky. Nice to hear you are a bit more positive these days. Keep it up.
A bit parky ha ha!! I am interested to see if he gets past dipping his big toe in the water I mean he has his wet suit and flippers and all that but this is icy ENGLISH water we are talking.

Yes I am feeling so much better inside of myself since I "let it all" out on here the past few weeks and talking to my work colleague and talking to my friend today, it's like all these repressed feelings have come out in full force.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.