Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Is moving back to the UK the right move.

I'm hoping to do some good when I get back hope. Even if the Daily Mail is wrong about Britain, there are problems, and I want to do something about them. I think if you love Britain, moving back is ABSOLUTLY the right move. Good luck, and don't let anyone else make your choice for you.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

woodbine66 is an unknown quantity at this point

No, the Daily Mail isn't wrong about Britain. It's infested with immigrants and foreign criminals, ridiculously expensive (US$ 300,000 for a small 2 bed apartment anyone?), cold, damp, crime-ridden, roads gridlocked, abysmal education, long health service waiting lists, high taxes, gas twice the price for a gallon compared to US, low wages, lots of low-skilled jobs that the Polish take, over crowding, expensive bad restaurants, corrupt politicians, etc, etc

Unfortunately, I have lived in UK 40 years, so I know all this to be true.

But we do have history and some green fields. So that's alright then
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:53 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodbine66
No, the Daily Mail isn't wrong about Britain. It's infested with immigrants and foreign criminals, ridiculously expensive (US$ 300,000 for a small 2 bed apartment anyone?), cold, damp, crime-ridden, roads gridlocked, abysmal education, long health service waiting lists, high taxes, gas twice the price for a gallon compared to US, low wages, lots of low-skilled jobs that the Polish take, over crowding, expensive bad restaurants, corrupt politicians, etc, etc

Of course where I live in New York there's no traffic at all (ha!) and $300,000 will get you a palace - if by palace you mean a cramped studio with a pull out bed in the kitchen. But we're blessed with honest politicians () and we never experience any crime unless you count the tens of thousands of gun murders every year (). Hey, but at least over here you wouldn't have to worry about healthcare waits - you wouldn't have coverage anyway.

The bottom line is there is good and bad everywhere. If you choose to focus only on the bad, you live an unhappy life. Doesn't make sense to me.

btw - you're eating at the wrong restaurants. I was back last year and we ate at some fantastic places - way cheaper than over here too.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jul 1st 2011 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Who needs posh restaurants anyway, a lot of pubs do really decent cheap food in the UK and you get more than you do in a posh restaurant, and Indian restaurants are very cheap.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What a joke.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

....and you open the windows when you get up in the morning and say 'I love this place'

Would you care to share where you live in Britain?

Do you get four weeks holiday per year?

Do you have public transportation? Can you get treatment if you were unfortunate to get seriously sick?

You mention the Daily Mail and that was my parents newspaper of choice so I don't know if it has changed a lot in the last 50 years.

Now you can come over here and try walking a couple of miles a day to do your shopping and doctors visits in 104 degree heat and see how you do. But you should die young because you don't have any health insurance.

Don't misunderstand my response because strange though it may seem I'm with you on your observations and I think your complaints are valid.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Have *you* lived anywhere else?

I could find most of the things you have listed in the UK ,elsewhere...
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:25 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot to mention all the wandering zombies.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

You might of lived in the UK for 40 years but you obviously have not moved out of your "street"....cause you sure as hell are not describing were we live....you could be describing a lot of other countries with your description and not just the so called "3rd world ones".....
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
You forgot to mention all the wandering zombies.
Even the zombie population is infested with immigrant zombies.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Those immigrant zombies take all the good jobs.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Those immigrant zombies take all the good jobs.
Coming over here, eating our brains.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

If Britain is as bad as you make it out to be, I have but one question to ask you.
"What are you doing about it?"
Corect me if I'm wrong, but by the tone & content of your post, I get the impression you're enarmored of The Us -streets paved with Gold and so forth.
As other members have pointed out, The US is not so great - a good (American) documentry proving just one aspect of that fact was on last night here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBSPcIGGcIc

And Britain is not as bad as it is made out to be by some (with suspect motivations I might add!)
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd another Daily Mail reader, they should ban that paper.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:52 am
Just Joined

britcanuck6 is an unknown quantity at this point

WHAT A TOSSER!! LOL.....I'm home soon, screw this quote n screw the daily mail!!!! God Save King William & Queen Catherine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.