Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Old May 27th 2011, 7:13 am
Just Joined

britcanuck6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say that I've lived in Canada,for over 20 years;I'm going back home, and not soon enough, I wish that I'd done 'it' ten years ago;Canada was great when I was younger (for various reasons) but now and hasn't been for many years now; I'm sick n tired of the ridiculous winters, the massive snowfalls & frigid temperatures ---- why in hell would any human being actually want to 'live' in such extremes? There is no history, no culture here, etc.........anyway I'm not gonna bitchslap the country; it's been good to me;I've gained much work n life experience here & met some good people.I have a great job right now but you know what.........I'm giving it all up to return HOME!!!!

Old May 28th 2011, 11:06 pm
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by britcanuck6
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say that I've lived in Canada,for over 20 years;I'm going back home, and not soon enough, I wish that I'd done 'it' ten years ago;Canada was great when I was younger (for various reasons) but now and hasn't been for many years now; I'm sick n tired of the ridiculous winters, the massive snowfalls & frigid temperatures ---- why in hell would any human being actually want to 'live' in such extremes? There is no history, no culture here, etc.........anyway I'm not gonna bitchslap the country; it's been good to me;I've gained much work n life experience here & met some good people.I have a great job right now but you know what.........I'm giving it all up to return HOME!!!!

Agreed, on all counts.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:50 am
Just Joined

britcanuck6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Welshie82
Old May 30th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Hi, Is there anybody on here, having come back from NZ? I've slowly but surely fallen out of love with NZ. To my mind it is going backwards at a rate of knots. I'm tempted to come back home, although also rather scared what I may find! I would be very interested in hearing an exNz expat's view on the differences.
Old May 30th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kooga61
Hi, Is there anybody on here, having come back from NZ? I've slowly but surely fallen out of love with NZ. To my mind it is going backwards at a rate of knots. I'm tempted to come back home, although also rather scared what I may find! I would be very interested in hearing an exNz expat's view on the differences.
We are also in Canada, and hoping to move back to the UK next Spring. For all of the reasons that have already been said.

We were toying with the idea of trying New Zealand, but wonder if we'd just be exchanging one set of problems for another.

I wish we could move back sooner, but for many reasons we have to wait until next Spring

We have got very used to being isolated and on our own though, so I wonder how we'll deal with 'people' again?
Old May 30th 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dashie
We are also in Canada, and hoping to move back to the UK next Spring. For all of the reasons that have already been said.

We were toying with the idea of trying New Zealand, but wonder if we'd just be exchanging one set of problems for another.

I wish we could move back sooner, but for many reasons we have to wait until next Spring

We have got very used to being isolated and on our own though, so I wonder how we'll deal with 'people' again?
if you can eat scenery then nz is for you- otherwise proceed with caution!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:39 am
Just Joined

homesick1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
No

Not its not you. I stupidly have bought somewhere here and now must go through the expense of selling. I cant wait to go home to the UK and never ever leave. Four years is enough
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:01 am
Just Joined

hooksy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lkelly
My husband and son are Canadian and I'm from the north of England. I moved to Canada 30 yrs ago with my parents but have been back to the UK almost every year on holiday. I've been homesick the entire time in Canada.

Here's what I miss and wonder why I can't find it here in Canada after all these years:
-Lasting friendships with people who don't move every 2 years.
-Jobs that don't expect to be first in your life over your own family.
-Jobs that offer more than 2 weeks holiday per year.
-A cuppa with an elderly neighbour.
-A drink in a local pub where you know the people in there.
-A corner shop where the person behind the till knows you're name.
The list goes on and on and on.

My parents told me they brought me here to give me a better life yet while I've have a wonderful career, I can't really afford to go out every weekend like my friends in the UK. I go on a couple of camping trips per year with friends not trips abroad with room service.

My home is much bigger than that in which my friends in the UK live in yet my home is always empty and there's always full of company. Both my husband and I have 4 wheel drive vehicles yet the best times I've ever had have been a bunch of us girls piled into a teeny tiny vw & bombing down the road to Southport for a day out.

My priority is not a big house, 4 Wheel Drive, Wide open spaces ect... it's family, friends, company, get-togethers, rain, pubs, banter over the fence, etc.

I have talked my husband into selling up everything here and going to the UK on a 5 year plan (adventure) and while he stresses it's going to be a costly move, he's agreed!! I'm hoping it's forever!

I find Canada a very lonely place. Is it me?????
No its not only you. I have only been here 8/9 months now and you describe exactly how I feel about here. Altho I only have an apartment and not a big house.

I am still sticking it out and I have a new job starting this Monday. Its just basic Admin and lower than what I had back home but you never know where it might lead.

I in London Ontario.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future

My husband and son are Canadian and I'm from the north of England. I moved to Canada 30 yrs ago with my parents but have been back to the UK almost every year on holiday. I've been homesick the entire time in Canada.

Here's what I miss and wonder why I can't find it here in Canada after all these years:

My parents told me they brought me here to give me a better life yet while I've have a wonderful career, I can't really afford to go out every weekend like my friends in the UK. I go on a couple of camping trips per year with friends not trips abroad with room service.

My home is much bigger than that in which my friends in the UK live in yet my home is always empty and there's always full of company. Both my husband and I have 4 wheel drive vehicles yet the best times I've ever had have been a bunch of us girls piled into a teeny tiny vw & bombing down the road to Southport for a day out.

My priority is not a big house, 4 Wheel Drive, Wide open spaces ect... it's family, friends, company, get-togethers, rain, pubs, banter over the fence, etc.

I have talked my husband into selling up everything here and going to the UK on a 5 year plan (adventure) and while he stresses it's going to be a costly move, he's agreed!! I'm hoping it's forever!

I confess, I am a ping ponger ! Lived in Canada for a total of 16years, 10years or so in Vancouver (riot city!), 4 years back in the UK and now 6 years in Nova Scotia.

Now I am ready for the move back to the UK, back home , the place where I belong - the place that can drive you mad sometimes and yet make your spirit soar, with the history that runs so deep inside.

The ancient memories that are born within us. Memories that are invoked when walking on leafy, wooded paths and imagining the people of old who have trodden those paths before us, as they made their way from village to village . (this is why I get called ramblingsue..)

Yes, I could remain here living a nice,tick-tock, comfortable, sanitary lifestyle in Canada. I have met lots of lovely people here , but we are different !

We don't have the ties of shared childhood memories, (tell me again, where is the fun in shovelling snow and spending 6 months indoors !). I need to tone down that mickey - taking British humour so as not to offend, and people here are way too obsessed with big, fancy, modern, sterile homes.

I suspect that it's because there is no really old history and old, old houses and pubs to look at and see that gosh! cracked and stained and slightly shabby is actually OK...but , I digress !

Anyway, the main thing we have said as ping pongers , is that we try to make the most of wherever we are and to have no regrets about anything ...life is way too short for that !

By the way , my hubby is Canadian too and enjoyed getting lots of attention in the UK , when we lived there.

Good luck with everything !
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future

P.s. I totally agree with you about your priorities ..go for it !
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Look at this clip. Is this what happened to England? Is this what you envision finding in England? Is this why English people are moving away?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-13782878
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:59 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Actually less people are leaving.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Look at this clip. Is this what happened to England? Is this what you envision finding in England? Is this why English people are moving away?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-13782878
Why would a bunch of irate taxi drivers make someone want to leave England?

Last edited by Bud the Wiser; Jun 17th 2011 at 7:34 pm. Reason: mis - spelling
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

It depends were you are and how secure you are. At the moment Europe is facing an economic meldtdown. Greece is on the verge of bankruptcy which is affecting or will affect other European countries, including Britain. Ireland is not far behind. In Britain the government is making cuts here there and everywhere. Utility charges are shooting up and the general cost of living is climbing. Not a great time to be moving back.

Last edited by Returnee; Jun 17th 2011 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:13 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
It depends were you are and how secure you are. At the moment Europe is facing an economic meldtdown. Greece is on the verge of bankruptcy which is affecting or will affect other European countries, including Britain. Ireland is not far behind. In Britain the government is making cuts here there and everywhere. Utility charges are shooting up and the general cost of living is climbing. Not a great time to be moving back.
Unless you live somewhere where unemployment is worse (the US), the already slim safety net is being trimmed even further (the US), losing your job means living in tent city (the US), and utility bills in winter top $1,000 per month (my county).

Brits don't have a clue how lucky they are. Their society after all the austerity measures is one hundred times more generous than it is here.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jun 18th 2011 at 1:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.