Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all
Default Re: Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Unless you live somewhere where unemployment is worse (the US), the already slim safety net is being trimmed even further (the US), losing your job means living in tent city (the US), and utility bills in winter top $1,000 per month (my county).

Brits don't have a clue how lucky they are. Their society after all the austerity measures is one hundred times more generous than it is here.
Out of the frying pan into the fire, perhaps
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Unless you live somewhere where unemployment is worse (the US), the already slim safety net is being trimmed even further (the US), losing your job means living in tent city (the US), and utility bills in winter top $1,000 per month (my county).

Brits don't have a clue how lucky they are. Their society after all the austerity measures is one hundred times more generous than it is here.
Totally agree.

The US is far worse.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
No I think it's more like 'out of the frying pan and onto the kitchen counter.'

I'm very fortunate to have my own business and therefore not to need a job in either country. But I know people who are suffering in ways that just couldn't happen in the UK. I do find it amusing how sure Brits are that they are having a horrible time, when actually they're doing very well compared to most Americans.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

No, I would say it is more like: Out of the fire, into the plate warmer

It is not perfect,but the safety net is much stronger.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

X posted with Sally
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very fortunate to have my own business and therefore not to need a job in either country. But I know people who are suffering in ways that just couldn't happen in the UK. I do find it amusing how sure Brits are that they are having a horrible time, when actually they're doing very well compared to most Americans.

My thoughts exactly - if only they knew what it's like for some people on this side of the pond - but we all know we Brits like to complain!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:39 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, for whatever reason a certain section of British people prefer to assume that things really must be worse in the UK, I'm not sure why but maybe to back up their decision to leave or whatever.

Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That has described Australia to a tee. For us it's a fantastic time to be moving back.

Utility charges are shooting up and the general cost of living is climbing. Not a great time to be moving back.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes I agree, for whatever reason a certain section of British people prefer to assume that things really must be worse in the UK, I'm not sure why but maybe to back up their decision to leave or whatever.
Maybe they feel they are going under now they are getting their statements for their credit cards used on those trips to the sun.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

If people could look at the positives instead of the (half of them made up) negatives all the time, they'd notice how much more vibrant their country is, how interesting the food has become, how rich the culture is now. Instead, all the seem to do is moan about the downsides. Then again, I guess that's Britain for you!
Absolutely!! and its people who have never left who seem most negative... try paying fro health care worrying about getting sick cos you wont get paid.... no pension..... no community....

Hey weather isnt everything!!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

I have to say, reading this thread has helped me so much. I'm one of the aforementioned children now planing to move back home.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lkelly
My husband and son are Canadian and I'm from the north of England. I moved to Canada 30 yrs ago with my parents but have been back to the UK almost every year on holiday. I've been homesick the entire time in Canada.

Here's what I miss and wonder why I can't find it here in Canada after all these years:
-Lasting friendships with people who don't move every 2 years.
-Jobs that don't expect to be first in your life over your own family.
-Jobs that offer more than 2 weeks holiday per year.
-A cuppa with an elderly neighbour.
-A drink in a local pub where you know the people in there.
-A corner shop where the person behind the till knows you're name.
The list goes on and on and on.

My parents told me they brought me here to give me a better life yet while I've have a wonderful career, I can't really afford to go out every weekend like my friends in the UK. I go on a couple of camping trips per year with friends not trips abroad with room service.

My home is much bigger than that in which my friends in the UK live in yet my home is always empty and there's always full of company. Both my husband and I have 4 wheel drive vehicles yet the best times I've ever had have been a bunch of us girls piled into a teeny tiny vw & bombing down the road to Southport for a day out.

My priority is not a big house, 4 Wheel Drive, Wide open spaces ect... it's family, friends, company, get-togethers, rain, pubs, banter over the fence, etc.

I have talked my husband into selling up everything here and going to the UK on a 5 year plan (adventure) and while he stresses it's going to be a costly move, he's agreed!! I'm hoping it's forever!

I find Canada a very lonely place. Is it me?????
It is not you. Indiana in the US is the same way so I know exactly what you are talking about. I am American & my husband is British. When we go for a visit to his parent's home, I can't believe how people still pop in and out, a lot of his friends are from his childhood, always something to do, the list goes on, like you said. We are planning on moving to England in April, 2012. I have always lived in Indiana but are really excited about our new change.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kady
It is not you. Indiana in the US is the same way so I know exactly what you are talking about. I am American & my husband is British. When we go for a visit to his parent's home, I can't believe how people still pop in and out, a lot of his friends are from his childhood, always something to do, the list goes on, like you said. We are planning on moving to England in April, 2012. I have always lived in Indiana but are really excited about our new change.
Same as us too.

My DH is American and feels the same way, we are moving back to the UK (from Indiana in February 2012)

We are very excited too~can't wait actually
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Same as us too.

My DH is American and feels the same way, we are moving back to the UK (from Indiana in February 2012)

We are very excited too~can't wait actually
So where in Indiana do you live? We live in Indianapolis. Glad to meet you. I would love to ask you some questions about moving if I may? Also, where are you moving to in England? My husband is from Kirkby In Ashfield (near Nottingham).

Cheers, Kady
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kady
So where in Indiana do you live? We live in Indianapolis. Glad to meet you. I would love to ask you some questions about moving if I may? Also, where are you moving to in England? My husband is from Kirkby In Ashfield (near Nottingham).

Cheers, Kady
PM'ed you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.