Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Welcome home! I really hope you are enjoying life back here with all your friends and family again after all that time in the sun...but hey! - hasn't it been really fine and warm and sunny here in most of the UK too recently! I'll be working down in London again from 8th May until about the 15th or so - maybe a wee bit later but I'm not sure as yet - a string of public and Bank Holidays - today 22 April, 25 April, 29 April, 02 May and 30 May - are now getting in the way workwise but it doesn't make a great deal of difference to me.

I share a house in Putney, just off the Upper Richmond Road, and use the tube to get to Canary Wharf and back. As I say, London is fantastic but also ******* expensive! but who cares....ou can still have fun big time.

I'll be taking the Royal Wedding day public holiday off even though I don't really have to - I have the choice on that one - but even so I will not be watching the "you know what" on TV - I'll be with some mates out rambling up in the hills above Stirling.

I really wish you well in your new life back here in the UK, Beedubya.
This bought back fond memories ,spent all my life in and around Putney ,especially that Upper richmond road

You are in a lovely spot .
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Welcome home! I really hope you are enjoying life back here with all your friends and family again after all that time in the sun...but hey! - hasn't it been really fine and warm and sunny here in most of the UK too recently! I'll be working down in London again from 8th May until about the 15th or so - maybe a wee bit later but I'm not sure as yet - a string of public and Bank Holidays - today 22 April, 25 April, 29 April, 02 May and 30 May - are now getting in the way workwise but it doesn't make a great deal of difference to me.

I share a house in Putney, just off the Upper Richmond Road, and use the tube to get to Canary Wharf and back. As I say, London is fantastic but also ******* expensive! but who cares....ou can still have fun big time.

I'll be taking the Royal Wedding day public holiday off even though I don't really have to - I have the choice on that one - but even so I will not be watching the "you know what" on TV - I'll be with some mates out rambling up in the hills above Stirling.

I really wish you well in your new life back here in the UK, Beedubya.
Thanks LL, yes I am enjoying it and the weather is just amazing, drove all around the Cheshire countryside today, chickens, lambs, green fields and all, so very lovely.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:40 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks LL, yes I am enjoying it and the weather is just amazing, drove all around the Cheshire countryside today, chickens, lambs, green fields and all, so very lovely.
You had to say chickens didn't you? I suppose you were also munching on those cream egg ice creams while you were driving around looking at the lambs and the green grass!! (I'll get there eventually, save some pet chickens for me. x)
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
You had to say chickens didn't you? I suppose you were also munching on those cream egg ice creams while you were driving around looking at the lambs and the green grass!! (I'll get there eventually, save some pet chickens for me. x)
Ha ha!! My sister just LOVES chickens, she has all kind of kitsch farmyard animal dishes and jugs, etc.

She nearly went into ecstasy when we passed a farm with hundreds of chickens running around outside LOL!!

http://horseshoefarmshop.co.uk/index.html

Unfortunately the produce shop was closed for Easter Sunday, but I will be moving to this area so will be sure to pop in for some fresh farm eggs.

I can get the Cadbury's creme eggs anytime and am in fact eating an Easter egg right now that my niece bought me. Only one quid for an Easter egg with 2 creme eggs inside.

I'll leave the ice cream type to your daughter, I don't really fancy it.
Attached Thumbnails Is moving back to the UK the right move.-creme.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:22 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha!! My sister just LOVES chickens, she has all kind of kitsch farmyard animal dishes and jugs, etc.

She nearly went into ecstasy when we passed a farm with hundreds of chickens running around outside LOL!!

Unfortunately the produce shop was closed for Easter Sunday, but I will be moving to this area so will be sure to pop in for some fresh farm eggs.

I can get the Cadbury's creme eggs anytime and am in fact eating an Easter egg right now that my niece bought me. Only one quid for an Easter egg with 2 creme eggs inside.

Enjoy. The farm shop looks lovely. x
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

I.M.H.O. NO
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 19th 2011, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

geegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nicegeegeegee67 is just really nice

This is all great info and has reassured me that moving back is the right thing to do. Of course, it all depends on your circumstances.

My husband and I are hoping to move back next year with our two girls. I'm not so worried about the house and the car. My main concerns is good schools.

Does anyone have any advice about getting the girls into good schools? We're not thinking of moving to London where we're both from. We're looking at the West Country or Norfolk. Our girls will be 6 and 9 by that time.
Old May 19th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geegeegee67
This is all great info and has reassured me that moving back is the right thing to do. Of course, it all depends on your circumstances.

My husband and I are hoping to move back next year with our two girls. I'm not so worried about the house and the car. My main concerns is good schools.

Does anyone have any advice about getting the girls into good schools? We're not thinking of moving to London where we're both from. We're looking at the West Country or Norfolk. Our girls will be 6 and 9 by that time.
Check with John he moved with children to the Malvern area.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Wow that was FANTASTIC!!! Quite brought a tear to my eye and I am living here now, I would have been sobbing in my soup if I was still in Australia LOL!!

p.s. I was in Australia for almost 30 years and have been back 8 weeks on Easter Sunday.

wow ! you made me cry !!
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lkelly
My husband and son are Canadian and I'm from the north of England. I moved to Canada 30 yrs ago with my parents but have been back to the UK almost every year on holiday. I've been homesick the entire time in Canada.......

......I find Canada a very lonely place. Is it me?????
Give it a go for five years, or however long it takes.

Having moved to and fro across several countries in the last 20 years, I can definitly agree that the grass is always greener on the other side.

I spent nine years in the Philippines, got married there, and my wife eventually pushed to move to England, and due to work issues with me we did decide to move, in 2002.

It was great to start with, everything was new and fresh, but it soon got very depressing, endless expense, the famous rubbish unpredictable, unreliable, weather, and that particularly English peoples ability of working so hard to be miserable. Why do the Brits always want to moan about everything? The Ozzies call us 'whinging Poms' for a good reason.

We tried hard, but the novelty wore off and we both wanted to move back to the hot and sunny Philippines. Last year we decided to give it a go and we don't regret it one bit.

I went back to England for a week last month, visited my parents, got a new US work visa in London, and oddly enough, I quite liked it......
Old May 24th 2011, 3:09 am
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice

You are right on all points about what you miss in the UK. I'm in Calgary and feel exactly the same way. I've been here 11 years and still feel disconnected from my community. I've lived in the same house for 5 years and don't know my neighbour's first name, not for lack of trying. That's almost unthinkable back home.

I'm moving back in October, even if it kills me.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:14 am
Just Joined

BritInCanada82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lkelly

I find Canada a very lonely place. Is it me?????
I agree NO its not just you! I have been here for almost 6 years. I met my husband in May 2005 and moved over to Canada in October 2005, I came here to be with my Husband, I didnt really care about being in Canada. Although we are now happily married, started a family together and I have permanent Residency I have never been truly happy! My life is here but my heart is in the UK!! I always refer to the UK as "Home"...

I am hoping to move back home and take my Husband home with me one day! Our daughter is also 4 years old, luckily for us she was born with Dual citizenship.

The reason I moved to Canada instead of my Husband coming to the UK is because he has twin sons from his previous marriage, they are now almost 15 and only have 3 years of school left, at which point I am hoping to talk my Husband into moving to the UK, and if his sons want to come too then I would try and help them come too! Sometimes I wonder is that selfish of me?

I too have no real friends, I don't find people in Canada very approachable! I went back home to the UK with our daughter for 6 months in 2008 and loved being there, my Husband didnt come with us due to not having a visa. He did visit us for 2 weeks and he did say I was a completely different person, much more confident and happy than I am in Canada! So it must show how home sick I am!

Last edited by BritInCanada82; May 26th 2011 at 2:19 am.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInCanada82
I agree NO its not just you! I have been here for almost 6 years. I met my husband in May 2005 and moved over to Canada in October 2005, I came here to be with my Husband, I didnt really care about being in Canada. Although we are now happily married, started a family together and I have permanent Residency I have never been truly happy! My life is here but my heart is in the UK!! I always refer to the UK as "Home"...

I am hoping to move back home and take my Husband home with me one day! Our daughter is also 4 years old, luckily for us she was born with Dual citizenship.

The reason I moved to Canada instead of my Husband coming to the UK is because he has twin sons from his previous marriage, they are now almost 15 and only have 3 years of school left, at which point I am hoping to talk my Husband into moving to the UK, and if his sons want to come too then I would try and help them come too! Sometimes I wonder is that selfish of me?

I too have no real friends, I don't find people in Canada very approachable! I went back home to the UK with our daughter for 6 months in 2008 and loved being there, my Husband didnt come with us due to not having a visa. He did visit us for 2 weeks and he did say I was a completely different person, much more confident and happy than I am in Canada! So it must show how home sick I am!
Just a note of caution that I think your step sons would have to be 18 or under to qualify for visas for the UK as the minor children of a spouse. After 18 they'd have to find some way of qualifying on their own (work visa etc)
Old May 26th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritInCanada82

This post really resonated with me. I almost could have written it !! I too moved to Canada for reasons other than a love of the place. It's nice enough, but it does absolutely nothing for me. If I never returned, I don't think I would miss anything or anyone. Good luck with it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.