Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:02 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Lothianlad, I don't know what makes you lurk around waiting for an opportunity to leap out and tell the world how unhappy you are, but it's very repetitious.

Take a springtime walk and enjoy the flowers and think of all the things that are good about Britain. Not everything, but nowhere else is better, all in all. Many places are not worse, either, so if you fancy one, start applying.

Bev
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Lothianlad, I don't know what makes you lurk around waiting for an opportunity to leap out and tell the world how unhappy you are, but it's very repetitious.

Take a springtime walk and enjoy the flowers and think of all the things that are good about Britain. Not everything, but nowhere else is better, all in all. Many places are not worse, either, so if you fancy one, start applying.

Bev
Bev - no way am I unhappy - in fact I'm over the moon today one way or another. I try to be balanced in my reporting on life generally here in the country in which I was born and where I have lived all my life so far...the good as well as the negative side.

I was planning to spend this weekend down in London so that I could join a mate who is running in the London Marathon tomorrow but a work assignment got in the way. I would have travelled down by train anyway as major problems involving a serious incident at the London end of the M1 have caused no end of trouble for drivers on the motorway which is still closed to traffic in both directions - The BBC1 TV Question Time program from Durham last evening had to be cancelled because the entire team scheduled to appear on the panel were unable to get up to Durham in time.

I adore London - it just has to be one of the most exciting cities in the world and I love my time in London whenever I'm working down there, as I do for weeks at a time sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orukqxeWmM0
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Bev - no way am I unhappy - in fact I'm over the moon today one way or another. I try to be balanced in my reporting on life generally here in the country in which I was born and where I have lived all my life so far...the good as well as the negative side.

I was planning to spend this weekend down in London so that I could join a mate who is running in the London Marathon tomorrow but a work assignment got in the way. I would have travelled down by train anyway as major problems involving a serious incident at the London end of the M1 have caused no end of trouble for drivers on the motorway which is still closed to traffic in both directions - The BBC1 TV Question Time program from Durham last evening had to be cancelled because the entire team scheduled to appear on the panel were unable to get up to Durham in time.

I adore London - it just has to be one of the most exciting cities in the world and I love my time in London whenever I'm working down there, as I do for weeks at a time sometimes.

that was great thanks for posting !!!!
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

That was awesome - thanks!!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:28 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Great video, Lothianlad. I like London a lot, too. As long as I don't have to go anywhere in the rush hour.

Glad to know you're happy.

Bev
Old Apr 17th 2011, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lkelly
My husband and son are Canadian and I'm from the north of England. I moved to Canada 30 yrs ago with my parents but have been back to the UK almost every year on holiday. I've been homesick the entire time in Canada.

Here's what I miss and wonder why I can't find it here in Canada after all these years:
-Lasting friendships with people who don't move every 2 years.
-Jobs that don't expect to be first in your life over your own family.
-Jobs that offer more than 2 weeks holiday per year.
-A cuppa with an elderly neighbour.
-A drink in a local pub where you know the people in there.
-A corner shop where the person behind the till knows you're name.
The list goes on and on and on.

My parents told me they brought me here to give me a better life yet while I've have a wonderful career, I can't really afford to go out every weekend like my friends in the UK. I go on a couple of camping trips per year with friends not trips abroad with room service.

My home is much bigger than that in which my friends in the UK live in yet my home is always empty and there's always full of company. Both my husband and I have 4 wheel drive vehicles yet the best times I've ever had have been a bunch of us girls piled into a teeny tiny vw & bombing down the road to Southport for a day out.

My priority is not a big house, 4 Wheel Drive, Wide open spaces ect... it's family, friends, company, get-togethers, rain, pubs, banter over the fence, etc.

I have talked my husband into selling up everything here and going to the UK on a 5 year plan (adventure) and while he stresses it's going to be a costly move, he's agreed!! I'm hoping it's forever!

I find Canada a very lonely place. Is it me?????
I can so relate to every word of this but wow the fact you still feel that way after 30 years is mind blowing. I feel that way after just 4. I am returning to the UK for 6 months supposedly, my Canadian husband is staying behind in Ontario for now and possibly forever .... its a rock and a hard place as I know in my heart I will not want to come back. Good luck - I hope it works out for you and your family.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

lkelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karen1203
I can so relate to every word of this but wow the fact you still feel that way after 30 years is mind blowing. I feel that way after just 4. I am returning to the UK for 6 months supposedly, my Canadian husband is staying behind in Ontario for now and possibly forever .... its a rock and a hard place as I know in my heart I will not want to come back. Good luck - I hope it works out for you and your family.
Hi Karen,
I know it's mind blowing but sadly I stayed here because of my parents. Yet only a few months ago my mother told me that if I go home to the UK she will be on the next plane..... that's mind blowing!!!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Great video, Lothianlad. I like London a lot, too. As long as I don't have to go anywhere in the rush hour.

Glad to know you're happy.

Bev
I am happy, Bev - very much so - even though I have always harboured thoughts and desires to experience life in another country - North America especially - either Canada or the USA - as they are not all that far from the UK are they - unlike Australia or New Zealand. My personal life has now put the "downer" on those "dreams" now it has to be said - a relationship in which my partner has no wish whatsoever to leave the UK, or Edinburgh for that matter and as the last thing I want to do is to end a fantastic relationship I will stay put here.

I'm now 29 and my soon to be civil partner is 30 and time is ticking by we now share a flat in an area of Edinburgh fairly close to the city centre with all its amenities and attractions, there's no reason why I should not be happy.

As for London - I shall be working down there from 09 May to 15 May - maybe a wee bit longer but I'm not sure as yet, and when in London I live in a flat in Putney, and travel to and from work on the District and Circle Lines and then on the DLR - not mad keen on that but there you go....driving in Central London is not for me either. The biggest pain doing that are the cyclists who truly believe that the rules of the road do not apply to them and neither do red traffic lights...most simply whizz through them like the wind, and some even use the pavements which is illegal, of course...maybe they are foreigners as Eastern Europeans, especially, here in Edinburgh cycle on the pavements as they feel "safer" and are not used to driving on the left ...or so the say.

London in my opinion is one fantastic city - I really believe that you can live your entire life out in London and still only see and experience a part of what it has to offer. The following clip includes a visit to Borough Market, right up close to Southwark Cathedral on the South Bank - you can pretty much buy anything in the food line especially there - "if we ain't got it then every other place ain't got it eivver!" as they say! In fact I like all of London's street markets - I've seen several famous people browsing around Berwick Street market on the edge of Soho.

Best wishes, and good night - up by 6am in the morning....not so bad now as it's getting lighter and lighter and the weather is really lovely at the present time....it's turning out to be a beautiful spring so far this year...hardly any rain for quite some time now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1Go...eature=related

Last edited by Lothianlad; Apr 17th 2011 at 10:39 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can squeeze me gooseberries but please don't touch me plums....

The Duke of Kendal pub, close to Marble Arch, London W1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ieYwrfCw8&NR=1
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
I am not in CANADA but I could write the same thing regarding living in Australia !!!! lonely, big house, feeling lost an ssad most of the time .....
I am in the USA. Better life? Hardly.

I feel the very same way you do and can't wait to get back home to the UK. It's going to be about three years before I get there unless i win the lottery, though.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that was FANTASTIC!!! Quite brought a tear to my eye and I am living here now, I would have been sobbing in my soup if I was still in Australia LOL!!

p.s. I was in Australia for almost 30 years and have been back 8 weeks on Easter Sunday.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another T-mobile ad at Liverpool Street Station, I just LOVE them!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3...feature=relmfu
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

britcanuck6 is an unknown quantity at this point

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England".

sir winston churchill (1874-1965)

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow that was FANTASTIC!!! Quite brought a tear to my eye and I am living here now, I would have been sobbing in my soup if I was still in Australia LOL!!

p.s. I was in Australia for almost 30 years and have been back 8 weeks on Easter Sunday.
Welcome home! I really hope you are enjoying life back here with all your friends and family again after all that time in the sun...but hey! - hasn't it been really fine and warm and sunny here in most of the UK too recently! I'll be working down in London again from 8th May until about the 15th or so - maybe a wee bit later but I'm not sure as yet - a string of public and Bank Holidays - today 22 April, 25 April, 29 April, 02 May and 30 May - are now getting in the way workwise but it doesn't make a great deal of difference to me.

I share a house in Putney, just off the Upper Richmond Road, and use the tube to get to Canary Wharf and back. As I say, London is fantastic but also ******* expensive! but who cares....ou can still have fun big time.

I'll be taking the Royal Wedding day public holiday off even though I don't really have to - I have the choice on that one - but even so I will not be watching the "you know what" on TV - I'll be with some mates out rambling up in the hills above Stirling.

I really wish you well in your new life back here in the UK, Beedubya.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

micheleb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britcanuck6
"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England".

sir winston churchill (1874-1965)

Love that quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.