Location, location, location

Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I almost think it worth setting up a focus group for Somerset because of the huge variety of lifestyle choices seemingly available and because of the issues at hand such as:

Exmoor, Quantocks & Mendips - take your pick

Taunton Yeovil Bridgwater Burnham-on-Sea Weston-super-Mare Frome - do these 'work'?? and where is the work??

Sedgemoor, rainfall, flooding an issue

Hinkley Point Nuclear and a safe distance

Access to Bath, Bristol and Bristol Airport

Seemingly large variations in per capita income levels by area between different parts of Somerset and property prices/rents

Bath, Saltford, Dunster/Minehead/Watchet, Chew Stoke/Chew Magna, Street*, Glastonbury & Wells - most (classified as) desirable areas???

Good rail access - Castle Cary, Bruton etc. etc.??

*Millfield and other schools/colleges

History buffs/Camelot, Arts/Culture buffs, garden buffs, walkers, cider buffs etc.
It's one of the areas on my list, too
Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
It's a million other things... to be in England,[B] to explore the countryside, eat the food, be close to France and Italy, to see the English countryside, to see ancient stone circles, to take train journeys, to visit the museums and galleries in London, to watch British telly, etc., etc., etc., none of which I can do easily from anywhere in North America.

Ahhh!!! That's the life!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, we're going there are we .

Certainly I see the UK government/financial systems as only slightly less corrupt than the US system. I no longer believe that the US president has much control over the country, but rather the "back-room boys" continue their greed and manipulation regardless of who is president. Case in point - the Federal Reserve, a group of private individuals who print money at little cost to loan to the government, who are then required to add it to the debt-load and repay in real dollars. Same for loans made to Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal. Goldman Sachs have manipulated this situation to their advantage.

UK was just as complicit in selling packaged sub-prime mortgages, though they originated in the US , hence the 2008 fiasco.

What is so heart-breaking about the financial situation in both the US and EU, is that the common person (the 99%) has completely lost trust that the governments are there to serve the people; rightly so.

On a brighter note, I do believe that we are in the early stages of a revolution. People have frankly had enough of the greed, manipulation and corruption. The only way I can handle it is to take a step book and look at the big picture; empires rise and fall throughout history and IMHO the US is falling. We already know what happened to the British Empire.

To the extent that we can rely less on government and more on ourselves, the better off we are (and I don't just mean financially). What does this look like? Well for me, that means working for myself with whatever marketable skills I may have vs taking some menial work at minimum wage; paying as little tax as I can as an individual (not something I prescribe for corporations such as Starbucks!); living frugally; grow some of my own food; fight corporate money grabs such as the smart meter fiasco (I am one of the few left on this island who do not have a smart meter); buy locally; work with community; etc.

On the whole, I think people have become a bunch of sheep who do not question authority and yet seem to want endless proof when anyone suggests a different way. people have to take back their power and stop rolling over and playing dead to corporate manipulation.

A quote from Barbara Hand Clow says it all for me: "We need to opt out of consensus reality. We shop like addicts, eat like pigs, consume natural resources acting like there is no tomorrow. The planet bakes in extreme heat with crops failing and maniacs on psychotropic drugs murder people who go to the cinema at midnight to watch Batman." Most never think about these things. It is a crisis in consciousness that we have on this planet and if we are waiting for our governments to sort this out we are going to be sorely disappointed.

We do have ways in which we can have our say. We have to get out of this mass consumerism and stop putting endless money into the hands of corrupt corporations and there documented policy of planned obsolescence (q.v. class action lawsuit against Apple for unreplaceable 18 month-life batteries in IPODs; printer counting chips; the lightbulb). What do we fix and repair anymore? Think of the jobs. I for one, never buy from Starbucks among others; I buy used when I can; reduce, reuse, recycle. I turn down the heat during the day, when I go out and when I go to bed. Most people don't give a thought to where that power comes from or where the water comes from when we turn on a tap.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPrTk90VZM (53 mins but well worth watching)

You know I could go on ad nauseum but now that I have got that of my chest, let's look at Somerset...
Thanks for that! Have rectangular eyeballs right now so will check the youtube tomorrow.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, we're going there are we .

Certainly I see the UK government/financial systems as only slightly less corrupt than the US system. I no longer believe that the US president has much control over the country, but rather the "back-room boys" continue their greed and manipulation regardless of who is president. Case in point - the Federal Reserve, a group of private individuals who print money at little cost to loan to the government, who are then required to add it to the debt-load and repay in real dollars. Same for loans made to Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal. Goldman Sachs have manipulated this situation to their advantage.

UK was just as complicit in selling packaged sub-prime mortgages, though they originated in the US , hence the 2008 fiasco.

What is so heart-breaking about the financial situation in both the US and EU, is that the common person (the 99%) can no longer trust that the governments are there to serve the people; rightly so.

On a brighter note, I do believe that we are in the early stages of a revolution. People have frankly had enough of the greed, manipulation and corruption and will, at some point, reach critical mass. The only way I can handle it is to take a step back and look at the big picture; empires rise and fall throughout history and IMHO the US is falling. We already know what happened to the British Empire.

To the extent that we can rely less on government and more on ourselves, the better off we are (and I don't just mean financially). What does this look like? Well for me, that means working for myself with whatever marketable skills I may have vs taking some menial work at minimum wage; paying as little tax as I can as an individual (not something I prescribe for corporations such as Starbucks!); living frugally; grow some of my own food; fight corporate money grabs such as the smart meter fiasco (I am one of the few left on this island who do not have a smart meter); buy locally; work with community; etc.

On the whole, I think people have become a bunch of sheep who do not question authority and yet seem to want endless proof when anyone suggests a different way. people have to take back their power and stop rolling over and playing dead to corporate manipulation.

A quote from Barbara Hand Clow says it all for me: "We need to opt out of consensus reality. We shop like addicts, eat like pigs, consume natural resources acting like there is no tomorrow. The planet bakes in extreme heat with crops failing and maniacs on psychotropic drugs murder people who go to the cinema at midnight to watch Batman." Most never think about these things. It is a crisis in consciousness that we have on this planet and if we are waiting for our governments to sort this out we are going to be sorely disappointed.

We do have ways in which we can have our say. We have to get out of this mass consumerism and stop putting endless money into the hands of corrupt corporations and their documented policy of planned obsolescence (q.v. class action lawsuit against Apple for unreplaceable 18 month-life batteries in IPODs; printer counting chips; the lightbulb). What do we fix and repair anymore? Think of the jobs. I for one, never buy from Starbucks or Apple among others; I buy used when I can; reduce, reuse, recycle. I turn down the heat during the day, when I go out and when I go to bed. Most people don't give a thought to where that power comes from or where the water comes from when we turn on a tap.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPrTk90VZM (53 mins but well worth watching)

You know I could go on ad nauseum but now that I have got that of my chest, let's look at Somerset...
I couldn't agree more!!!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant! Takes me back to my college days studying advertising and communication.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Brilliant! Takes me back to my college days studying advertising and communication.
Vance Packard - The Hidden Persuaders, had a finger on that pulse.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that was one of the books
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that! Have rectangular eyeballs right now so will check the youtube tomorrow.
Really enjoyed that, thanks! Fortunately, I have never been sucked in by consumerism, helped by the fact that I lost my shirt at the age of 40 and had to start again, knowing full well that I did not want to be working for ever, even if I could.

Ironic that so many goods are imported from China these days in which built-in obsolescence is not really the issue since the thing can fall apart the first time you use it, it is of such poor quality, the metal or plastic is so weak. It certainly seems the Chinese have not yet acquired broad enough and adequate design and engineering/manufacturing capability in so many products in spite of the fact that they are now at the front-end of global product supply.

Intriguing that possibly the biggest culprit, cars and car body parts which cannot be easily removed and replaced in sections, never got a mention in spite of being another obvious conspiracy.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

This was one of the books we had at school too. Obviously we (as a global population) have learnt nothing in the last 40-50 years .

There is a show on CBC radio along the same lines that I find fascinating:

http://www.cbc.ca/ageofpersuasion/

Basically how the corporations get us to buy things that we don't need.

An area that I get very concerned about and that I think is a bit less of an issue in the UK (to bring it back slightly to topic ) is the sloughing off by governments of social programs. Those words hardly address the devastating effect. Working here for the Foundation, I have noticed that we are funding programs that should be taken care of by the government; namely: poverty issues, mental health, seniors programs, young mothers in poverty, emergency equipment, Search and Rescue, affordable housing, addictions. Isn't this what our governments are supposed to be doing?

Having worked in all levels of government, I can speak to the massive waste of resources (including the money that I was paid) that, in the end, made me feel so ill that I had to quit that mind-numbing arena, and determined that I give them as little of my money as possible.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

This one for you. The price is right.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...bdc3901e69a688

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...bdc3901e69a688

Last edited by cheers; Mar 11th 2013 at 11:47 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Just one problem Cheers... miles from where I want to be.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re: Rightmove

I have been keeping track of the property alerts I received over the past week for the chosen area and my criteria. First of all I find it very useful to be be able to search by area in Rightmove, which means, in my case, that I can enter the term 'Cotswolds' without having to break it down by county.

In the past week I have received 52 new property alerts. 14 of these were price reductions and the rest new listings. I think the "gems" sell quite quickly and yet I have found that the properties have definitely come down in price over the past 2 years. I was searching in the same area in 2011 and found it hard to come up with any livable properties within my price range; now there appear to be many. My crystal ball says that this trend will continue. How can it not? Many properties - fewer buyers. As people in the boomer age demographic gradually... er... decline, surely there will be more properties on the market for even fewer buyers.

The show Location, Location, Location has just come back on TV in Canada. I catch it with my PVR and watch it each morning with my brekkie . Though the show is 1-2 years old, I have found it interesting that some buyers pulled out of deals at the last minute due to the falling market.

Last edited by bandrui; Mar 12th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re: Rightmove

I have been keeping track of the property alerts I received over the past week for the chosen area and my criteria. First of all I find it very useful to be be able to search by area in Rightmove, which means, in my case, that I can enter the term 'Cotswolds' without having to break it down by county.

In the past week I have received 52 new property alerts. 14 of these were price reductions and the rest new listings. I think the "gems" sell quite quickly and yet I have found that the properties have definitely come down in price over the past 2 years. I was searching in the same area in 2011 and found it hard to come up with any livable properties within my price range; now there appear to be many. My crystal ball says that this trend will continue. How can it not? Many properties - fewer buyers. As people in the boomer age demographic gradually... er... decline, surely there will be more properties on the market for even fewer buyers.

The show Location, Location, Location has just come back on TV in Canada. I catch it with my PVR and watch it each morning with my brekkie . Though the show is 1-2 years old, I have found it interesting that some buyers pulled out of deals at the last minute due to the falling market.
This seems to corroborate what you are saying ref price changes over the year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h.../html/23uc.stm

Was checking my area of Canterbury to see if there was a clear trend which there is not:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h.../html/29uc.stm

I would hazard a guess that the driver of a significant element of property prices in The Cotswolds is second-homers and weekly commuters and these two have been liquidating. That said, In Gloucs, Tewkesbury is seriously down and that must be due to flooding issues in that area. Chic Cheltenham is up.

I also sense that people aspire to own in The Cotswolds and that this used to mean, grab your pile now as there may not be a chance tomorrow - a sense of urgency. With the general market as it is, there probably isn't that sense of urgency, a traditional driver of higher prices no matter what one is talking of.

It's nice to know buying there is now doable.

Unfortunately, us baby-boomers aren't the only folks with (some) money, so I'm not sure that your theory necessarily holds water. If we have it we will do everything in our power (bandrui-style) to ensure that the taxman takes as little as possible before we pass it on.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 12th 2013 at 9:01 pm. Reason: Unfortunately, us baby-boomers......
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

This seems to corroborate what you are saying ref price changes over the year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h.../html/23uc.stm

Was checking my area of Canterbury to see if there was a clear trend which there is not:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h.../html/29uc.stm
Thanks for the link. Good to know.

Unfortunately, us baby-boomers aren't the only folks with (some) money, so I'm not sure that your theory necessarily holds water. If we have it we will do everything in our power (bandrui-style) to ensure that the taxman takes as little as possible before we pass it on.
I was actually thinking in terms of numbers vs accumulated wealth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50tdLusm7-Y

This property, which was among the 14 new property alerts I received today, is extremely appealing to me, though that is a matter of some surprise to me since it doesn't have a garden .

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...FromEmail=true

So, what appeals to me is the location (both Chipping Norton and on a quiet lane), nice interior layout, walking distance to amenities including the weekly market, ease of maintenance.

http://www.chippingnortontown.info/C...0/Default.aspx

Chipping Norton has everything I need (including library and theatre) but retains a rural feel. I can always get an allotment here 30 - 40 quid a year, which I see that I could also walk to.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the link. Good to know.

I was actually thinking in terms of numbers vs accumulated wealth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50tdLusm7-Y

This property, which was among the 14 new property alerts I received today, is extremely appealing to me, though that is a matter of some surprise to me since it doesn't have a garden .

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...FromEmail=true

So, what appeals to me is the location (both Chipping Norton and on a quiet lane), nice interior layout, walking distance to amenities including the weekly market, ease of maintenance.

http://www.chippingnortontown.info/C...0/Default.aspx

Chipping Norton has everything I need (including library and theatre) but retains a rural feel. I can always get an allotment here 30 - 40 quid a year, which I see that I could also walk to.
I had forgotten the concept that as the population gets older those older folks tend to downshift to reduce the need for and cost of upkeep and to free up cash for other things such as their long-term care. At the same time, there is these days seemingly a reducing number of folks able to afford the property being downshifted from. All this unless it is simply handed over to kids as inheritance tax planning.

I like the idea of Chipping Norton and am surprised that you can find places to meet your budget and requirements since it is fairly hip these days and known to be so what with David Cameron, Jeremy Clarkson and Rebekah Brooks all in situ in some fashion. For London stations are not that far away at Kingham, Shipton and Charlbury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.