Location, location, location

Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Troublemaker

Nuclear power is wrong on so many levels, and is yesterday's energy solution. Proponents fail to mention the amount of fossil fuels that are required to keep the plant running or the massive amounts of nuclear waste that have to be stored in perpituity http://www.ccg.leeds.ac.uk/teaching/...learwaste.html

not to mention the risks. Seaweed levels on the BC West Coast currently contain 10 times the normal level of radioactivity thanks to the Fukushima disaster. The effects of this will not really be known for many years to come.
Our grandchildren will not thank us.

Add to all this the fact that Uranium is a finite resource and expected to be depleted before oil.

EDF was rated the lowest of energy companies for their overcharging of customers and for their handling of complaints. EDF UK is a wholly owned subsidiary of the French company; how will this work if the UK drops out of the EU?

We need to be far less wasteful of the energy we use and turn to renewable sources rather than slapping up more of these monstrosities. Merkel got the message; why can't Cameron?

Sorry. Sore point with me.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
The first one looks like it is close to a working farm and there are issues relating to access due to some sort of shared right of way for access to an adjacent cottage.

Nevertheless, it is lovely and the village looks attractive though also seems attached to the agricultural side of things.

Check this for the Salford Parish Council Minutes:

http://www.wospweb.com/site/Salford-...tings-2013.htm

The village donates to the Village Community Bus for rural Oxfordshire.

Lower End of Salford where this property is, looks for more like a traditional village, but looks like it has another working farm:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-36990778.html

I Like this:

http://salfordvillagehall.co.uk/location.html
Good reminder that is is always helpful to check the council minutes!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
According to the Sunday Times the best place in Britain in which to live, all factors considered, is:

STAMFORD Lincolnshire

It is so beautiful in terms of architecture and atmosphere that it is the favourite location for the setting for a selection of TV costume dramas and serials.

Next in order was, and this surprised me a little when you consider the fact that it rains quite a lot there -

KENDAL Cumbria -on the edge of the Lake District.

Then comes:

WYE Kent - just to the south of Ashford, with its direct link to the Channel Tunnels from the Ashford International train station, and frequent direct trains to London Charing Cross.

And fourth is:

THORNBURY South Gloucestershire - just to the north of Bristol - a "very desirable location with the ultimate in lifestyle mix in an extremely attractive small(ish) town - modern surrounding an historic centre".

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1222090.ece
Stamford? Really? I don't know it but am somewhat surprised as it never seems to come up for discussion.

Guess you have to be a subscriber to the Times to see that article.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Stamford? Really? I don't know it but am somewhat surprised as it never seems to come up for discussion.

I can't find an on-line link which provides all the details of the other places which are included in the list of the UK's most desirable places in which to live, taking into account all the main factors which make them so attractive. But I am happy to mention the place on that list where my grandparents live, very close to Ledbury, Herefordshire - less than two miles from the town centre, the birthplace of John Masefield and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

It's interesting to note that the majority of such places are south and east of a line running from Bristol, up to Shrewsbury and then eastwards to the north of Birmingham, and across to Hull, on the east coast...Stamford, Lincolnshire is within that area of England. For some reason it seems that many people think it important that direct, reasonably fast transport links to London by train are one of those factors making a place even more attractive.

Apparently Stamford is just 55 minutes away from King's Cross. They claim to make the best pork pies there, too......I always thought that Melton Mowbray, not too far away from Stamford, was the tops for that....at least Michael Portillo said it was during one of his fantastic TV programs featuring his railway journeys all around the UK, using his Bradshaw guide from the mid 19th century.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...#axzz2O4xAJ3OP

Last edited by Lothianlad; Mar 20th 2013 at 11:55 am.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good reminder that is is always helpful to check the council minutes!
The very fact that the (draft) minutes for the Feb meeting are already available for reading on the net seems encouraging, plus they are sensible in the issues/matters covered.

All looks generally attractive to me.

I would like to know how the community have weathered the winter in terms of snow cut-offs/graveling/salting and the like.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do all sorts of gyrations to eventually find out what the gist of the article was without taking the subscription.

Not trying to be smug but I've seen the potential in Stamford for quite some time as I know it fairly well having been to school in the area. Was checking it out earlier in the week for its New College School which is currently beefing-up facilities. Things will probably improve now that the RAF has cut back operations at RAF Wittering and RAF Cottesmore which were both Harrier bases in the area.

Indeed there is good rail and road access to London but the key is the attractiveness of the area, being adjacent to Rutland Water. It really is lovely unspoiled country enhanced by the beauty of Ketton Stone, used in the fabric of the House of Parliament.

Seems these guys are the experts on Melton Mowbray pork pies:

http://www.nelsonsbutchers.co.uk/

having been in the business for over 50 years.

Let's remember that The Bell at Stilton was the "home" of Stilton but some of the best Stilton, funnily enough, comes from Colston Bassett near Melton Mowbray .

Note that Oakham, which is not far away to the north west, also got into the big league in the Best Places article.

I recall posting a couple of properties from South Luffenham / Morcott on here before in this thread. Still on the market!?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-40236764.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35190056.html

Needs modernising - ex post office:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35682281.html
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I can't find an on-line link which provides all the details of the other places which are included in the list of the UK's most desirable places in which to live, taking into account all the main factors which make them so attractive. But I am happy to mention the place on that list where my grandparents live, very close to Ledbury, Herefordshire - less than two miles from the town centre, the birthplace of John Masefield and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

It's interesting to note that the majority of such places are south and east of a line running from Bristol, up to Shrewsbury and then eastwards to the north of Birmingham, and across to Hull, on the east coast...Stamford, Lincolnshire is within that area of England. For some reason it seems that many people think it important that direct, reasonably fast transport links to London by train are one of those factors making a place even more attractive.

Apparently Stamford is just 55 minutes away from King's Cross. They claim to make the best pork pies there, too......I always thought that Melton Mowbray, not too far away from Stamford, was the tops for that....at least Michael Portillo said it was during one of his fantastic TV programs featuring his railway journeys all around the UK, using his Bradshaw guide from the mid 19th century.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...#axzz2O4xAJ3OP
Finally go to that article in the Sunday Times. let's see if this works:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1229437.ece

I got to it through one of my favourite links:

http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/britnews.htm
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I had to do all sorts of gyrations to eventually find out what the gist of the article was without taking the subscription.

Not trying to be smug but I've seen the potential in Stamford for quite some time as I know it fairly well having been to school in the area. Was checking it out earlier in the week for its New College School which is currently beefing-up facilities. Things will probably improve now that the RAF has cut back operations at RAF Wittering and RAF Cottesmore which were both Harrier bases in the area.

Indeed there is good rail and road access to London but the key is the attractiveness of the area, being adjacent to Rutland Water. It really is lovely unspoiled country enhanced by the beauty of Ketton Stone, used in the fabric of the House of Parliament.

Seems these guys are the experts on Melton Mowbray pork pies:

http://www.nelsonsbutchers.co.uk/

having been in the business for over 50 years.

Let's remember that The Bell at Stilton was the "home" of Stilton but some of the best Stilton, funnily enough, comes from Colston Bassett near Melton Mowbray .

Note that Oakham, which is not far away to the north west, also got into the big league in the Best Places article.

I recall posting a couple of properties from South Luffenham / Morcott on here before in this thread. Still on the market!?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35190056.html

Needs modernising - ex post office:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35682281.html
Wow! great value for money. I particularly like that first one.

Not so far from my 'home' - Bedford. I have friends in Bedford, Peterborough and Cambridge.

I really know very little about Lincolnshire. I can't remember if I have ever been there. Love looking at new areas and being a born researcher, I shall look into it.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Not so far from my 'home' - Bedford. I have friends in Bedford, Peterborough and Cambridge.

I really know very little about Lincolnshire. I can't remember if I have ever been there. Love looking at new areas and being a born researcher, I shall look into it.
One thing though! I'm not sure I'm necessarily sold on the area for the Lincolnshire bit but rather the proximity to Rutland which is a special little county of its own.

BUT

In Lincolnshire, and close to Stamford, I do recall this village from Kirstie and Phil days.

I wish:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25448871.html

Back to reality:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25448226.html
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

That house is gorgeous, Bandrui! I can't believe it's only 250,000GBP - compared to the others I have seen!! Beautiful features inside.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

There is some terrific regional information buried in this thread that I wonder if it would make sense to start different threads for different regions; for example. split England into, say, four regions and Scotland into two or three, etc. In that way, everything pertaining to a specific region can go in its relative thread. What do you think?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
There is some terrific regional information buried in this thread that I wonder if it would make sense to start different threads for different regions; for example. split England into, say, four regions and Scotland into two or three, etc. In that way, everything pertaining to a specific region can go in its relative thread. What do you think?
I tried doing that recently with Somerset but an individual thread has much more chance of dying in no time flat, IMHO.

I would say that I don't think there are that many folks out there who contribute to the fabric of threads based upon regional characteristics, certainly from what I've seen in the last couple of years. If you thin out the regions even more you could get nothing much to work with.

It might help if we pushed people to discuss Locations on here instead of discussing that sort of thing elsewhere, as we have been doing with Exeter and Cardiff recently on the UK is too crowded and expensive thread.

It's good that you have spotted threads that have become dead and resuscitated them with a post.

I'll tell you what, I'll do my bit to put some regional "flesh" into Location Location Location and see if we can get some sharks to feed.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong

That house is gorgeous, Bandrui! I can't believe it's only 250,000GBP - compared to the others I have seen!! Beautiful features inside.
Can't work out what happened to that property which I saw on the market about two years ago. I don't think it ever sold then, judging by Rightmove's properties sold records. It's in a lovely little side road in a good village in a good area but maybe some of the interior styling is not to everybody's taste today and it is quite large for a two-bed which is off-putting to those of us who would rather do less house-work as we get older .

If I thought that our plans were leading us to that area I would, on the face of it, be very interested.

There is an awful lot of information etc. in this:

http://morcott.wordpress.com/
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Let's move to Scotland!!!

Does anybody have any advice regarding good lifestyle places to live in the Lothians, Renfrewshire and Ayrshire for those who want to work or spend time in Edinburgh or Glasgow but have the best of both worlds by being close to the sea and/or living in rural Scotland in spots close to towns/villages such as Dunbar, Fairlie, Dalry, West Kilbride, Troon, Ayr, Gullane, North Berwick or even Linlithgow.

Are these places, or others not mentioned, good value, commutable, vibrant, attractive, worth a look?

And what about Fife, the seemingly favoured spot for Scottish retirees. Any tips on the coastal spots of Leven, St Monans, Anstruther, Crail and Kingsbarns?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I tried doing that recently with Somerset but an individual thread has much more chance of dying in no time flat, IMHO.

I would say that I don't think there are that many folks out there who contribute to the fabric of threads based upon regional characteristics, certainly from what I've seen in the last couple of years. If you thin out the regions even more you could get nothing much to work with.

It might help if we pushed people to discuss Locations on here instead of discussing that sort of thing elsewhere, as we have been doing with Exeter and Cardiff recently on the UK is too crowded and expensive thread.

It's good that you have spotted threads that have become dead and resuscitated them with a post.

I'll tell you what, I'll do my bit to put some regional "flesh" into Location Location Location and see if we can get some sharks to feed.

That's a good idea, Pete - pushing people to discuss location on this thread - and adding some "regional flesh"

I didn't think about the possibility of individual threads dying. I think you are quite correct.

Indeed, I have been trying to keep some basic threads alive because when people move over there are some typical things they want to know about - jobs, locations, etc. and it is quite helpful, IMHO, if certain threads are devoted to those topics. The difficulty is, as you suggested, keeping them towards the top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.