Location, location, location

Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

You are allowed to use England, Wales or Scotland in your response.

Based upon general input/feedback that you have received from this and other threads regarding choice of location and declaring whether you are looking to be Working, Working from Home or Retired.

Let us know what general location fits your requirements - you can go to a county and drill down to an actual town if you feel able to.

A why, would be even better.

It doesn't have to be real, it can be fantasy.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
You are allowed to use England, Wales or Scotland in your response.

Based upon general input/feedback that you have received from this and other threads regarding choice of location and declaring whether you are looking to be Working, Working from Home or Retired.

Let us know what general location fits your requirements - you can go to a county and drill down to an actual town if you feel able to.

A why, would be even better.

It doesn't have to be real, it can be fantasy.
England
Retired
Herefordshire
Possibly, Ross-on-Wye

Why? Away from industrial areas and it is beautiful area. Unfortunately we missed the last train that left there. It has a direct coach to Heathrow (bad word) Close to Gloucester, Hereford and Wales.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
England
Retired
Herefordshire
Possibly, Ross-on-Wye

Why? Away from industrial areas and it is beautiful area. Unfortunately we missed the last train that left there. It has a direct coach to Heathrow (bad word) Close to Gloucester, Hereford and Wales.
After bandrui posted on here ref National Express, I feel better able to go to out-of-the-way places on a budget if I can plan ahead.

Am a bit concerned about using a loo while haring down the M4 though so would have to hold off on the coffee before boarding .

Nice choice, by the way! glad you get your Wales bit in too.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Marlow Buckinhamshire - OH retired - I may find part time job initially
lovely market town with nice people, no chavs
low crime (check on police report)
Own house there, easy to move back into
easy maintenance 3 beds and small garden,
know neighbours on both sides, nice people no kids
half a mile from High Street therefore can walk,
access to M25 to visit friends and family dotted off M25
access to Heathrow (plan to go to Cape Town in winter)
rail links to London quick
good rental property if we decide to move to coast
Beautiful countryside (Chilterns) and small villages and pubs
Lovely country walks
Lots of societies and clubs we can join
River Thames weaves its way through town - OH can fish lol
Might still be registered with doctors (?)
Hospital nearby - possibly building large new one

drawbacks:
busy traffic especially school runs & only road to Henley
parking a nightmare
may feel "cramped in" after living here
population of 11000 may be a bit big for us
no beach nearby (plan to buy caravan and travel to coast)
stairs and no loo on ground level
will not be for-ever house as we will move when get older (not a bad thing exactly because I seem to stay put for 10 years and then get itchy feet!)
Fishing will not be the same for OH after Canada!

Dream location: Isle of Wight - which has affordable houses, we are away from the maddening crowd, but downside is being at the ransom of ferries (we have that here) crowds in summer (mind you what coastal town does not have this) have heard that locals do not take to newcomers easily
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Marlow Buckinhamshire - OH retired - I may find part time job initially
lovely market town with nice people, no chavs
low crime (check on police report)
Own house there, easy to move back into
easy maintenance 3 beds and small garden,
know neighbours on both sides, nice people no kids
half a mile from High Street therefore can walk,
access to M25 to visit friends and family dotted off M25
access to Heathrow (plan to go to Cape Town in winter)
rail links to London quick
good rental property if we decide to move to coast
Beautiful countryside (Chilterns) and small villages and pubs
Lovely country walks
Lots of societies and clubs we can join
River Thames weaves its way through town - OH can fish lol
Might still be registered with doctors (?)
Hospital nearby - possibly building large new one

Hand & Flowers - three course lunch 19.50

drawbacks:
busy traffic especially school runs & only road to Henley
parking a nightmare
may feel "cramped in" after living here
population of 11000 may be a bit big for us
no beach nearby (plan to buy caravan and travel to coast)
stairs and no loo on ground level
will not be for-ever house as we will move when get older (not a bad thing exactly because I seem to stay put for 10 years and then get itchy feet!)
Fishing will not be the same for OH after Canada!

Dream location: Isle of Wight - which has affordable houses, we are away from the maddening crowd, but downside is being at the ransom of ferries (we have that here) crowds in summer (mind you what coastal town does not have this) have heard that locals do not take to newcomers easily
http://www.thehandandflowers.co.uk/h...owers_menu.php
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Love the Hand and Flowers! Marlow is a gorgeous town.

Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

would have to go there for special occassion though! My OH is a pie and gravy, bangers and mash guy!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

while you are researching places try looking them up on the police report! I know this has been shown before because I must have got it somewhere on the boards but it is interesting:

http://www.police.uk
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
would have to go there for special occassion though! My OH is a pie and gravy, bangers and mash guy!
Was in France earlier this year and caught hell from my brother-in-law who was looking for a proper plate of food once in a while, so I know what you mean.

However, Hand & Flowers is the first and only gastropub to gain two Michelin stars. It doesn't have to be a special occasion to enjoy the 19.50 three courser from time to time.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

you are right - I can go with a friend and leave the OH to the pie and gravy!

Have just started reading this thread from the beginning when Bundrui started it and you and Cheers were also involved, what an exciting thread! I am just getting all happy thinking of all those lovely places to visit with the caravan! Talk about wishing my life away, 2 years can't go by quick enough

I am only up to pg 6 at this moment, some good reading for the winter!

Last edited by feelbritish; Oct 19th 2012 at 10:48 pm. Reason: added some more text
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Location, location, location. Decision, decision, decision.

Not easy is it? All down to personal circumstance and choice I suppose. I haven't read all of this thread, but one thing I've noticed is the quantity of small towns that have been mentioned. Towns that, although I've heard the name, I've never even considered as an option as a place I could return to.

I'm starting to develop a " football league ' phobia. Jesting, of course, but anytown that has a team in top 92 league teams could get crossed off the list. .

Then there's the extremely important work issue. Those who return and need to find work have to choose wisely. Obviously that depends of ones personal skillset. No point moving to Bedfordshire if you're a surfing instructor. No point living on Orkney if you're a train ticket inspector who suffers from sea sickness. However, work comes at a price. Where there's work there's demand for people, ( more people, more demand for housing, higher house prices) more travel ( affordable housing = longer commutes = increase in travel costs + time )

It would be interesting to know how those who have returned have balanced their choice of residential area against their ability to support themselves and their family.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 4:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

OK here's my fantasy.

England.
Retired...
Barnard Castle? Saltburn? Darlington?
Obviously very different choices. Nice to be on the main line railway for instance (Darlington). Nice to be at the seaside with a pier and cliff railway (Saltburn). Why is it a fantasy? My wife is willing to consider South Devon or West Somerset seriously, but "up North" is just for holidays in her book..
Old Oct 20th 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
OK here's my fantasy.

England.
Retired...
Barnard Castle? Saltburn? Darlington?
Obviously very different choices. Nice to be on the main line railway for instance (Darlington). Nice to be at the seaside with a pier and cliff railway (Saltburn). Why is it a fantasy? My wife is willing to consider South Devon or West Somerset seriously, but "up North" is just for holidays in her book..
Wasn't going to bother today but:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...-county-durham
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Was that the best photo they could find? Where is County Durham anyway?

The police report site is a good one. Tenbury Wells seems to have very little crime ... I think there were 20 something reports in August. That's less than one a day. The main crime was anti-social behaviour ... "Hey you with big nose!"

These are my two chosen websites that I go to when I'm bored:

http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/britnews.htm (not just for the national newspapers, but if you really want to know about a place, read its local newspaper... issues the tourist agency didn't tell you)

and

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/counties (great slide shows of any county or town)

They have both been mentioned before but worth an updated ref.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

excellent websites, have bookmarked them, thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.