Location, location, location

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by cheers
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32720570.html

This is my choice of the day with Linda in mind.

Cheers
I'm sure you know that Linda would not appreciate being plonked 100ft from the A39.

Apart from that - very nice!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I like the look of this type of Grade 2 listed done-up town bolt-hole (3 bed 2 bath) on a cul-de-sac, but would prefer it a bit cheaper, though it's already priced at that magic 249,500 pounds.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33245615.html

I don't need a garden, got one already.

Like the Totnes links to Exeter/Plymouth/Torquay each about half and hour on the train.

There are flooding issues in some riverside parts of Totnes.
Did some more poking around in the street where this property is and noticed there is a Midas Homes development at the end of it and on the other end of the street which is just being started. Googled it and found that in fact that development was completed two years ago.

So Streetview is not a very good gauge of where things are in the recent past, just like google earth which is over four years old where we are.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:41 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
You would need more than the quoted amount to buy and run this place. Check the Energy Performance Certificate on this property, it is quite bad. This is important in the UK given the cost of energy, especially in a Cumbrian climate. Every silver lining has a cloud.
At the moment, I pay utilities bills that would make your toes curl and the Cumbrian climate is no worse than New York, so it wouldn't be much of a shock to me.

Still, it's hardly likely to be a problem I need to worry about unless I win the lottery.

It's so funny how people who've been back in Britain for a while always point out the downsides - even when we're just dreaming about ridiculous things we could never afford anyway.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 22nd 2011 at 8:44 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
At the moment, I pay utilities bills that would make your toes curl and the Cumbrian climate is no worse than New York, so it wouldn't be much of a shock to me.

Still, it's hardly likely to be a problem I need to worry about unless I win the lottery.

It's so funny how people who've been back in Britain for a while always point out the downsides - even when we're just dreaming about ridiculous things we could never afford anyway.
Weeeell, when you live in these large American mansions, you must expect to pay to heat them. At least in New York, you always get a summer.

As for the downsides in the UK, wait while you become a victim of the red tape here . To be fair though, my energy bills are no more than what I was paying in Canada. In Canada, home heating is like gasoline, generally cheaper but you need more of it.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 22nd 2011 at 9:05 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Weeeell, when you live in these large American mansions, you must expect to pay to heat them. At least in New York, you always get a summer.

As for the downsides in the UK, wait while you become a victim of the red tape here . To be fair though, my energy bills are no more than what I was paying in Canada. In Canada, home heating is like gasoline, generally cheaper but you need more of it.
My house is tiny compared to my Mums dorma bungalow. Big houses cost to much to heat and cool here so we couldn't afford one.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bandrui
Glad you enjoyed my cider. Go have a nice sleep... and then report in!
Hi Bandrui, Well I'm sorry for not getting back sooner about my trip to Marlborough (no I haven't been sleeping all that time!) I went straight up to Edinburgh to see friends, before I fly off to Dublin for a friends wedding.

Marlborough, is the lovely small town with amazing country and has all the facilities you could want on a day to day basis. Some properties seemed reasonable whilst some seemed very expensive. I look at a new developed 5 mins away called St.John Walk or something like that. A brand new four bedroom house with a view of the hills would cost £500,000!! But the house seemed tiny. I told my husband we would be divorced within days if we moved into that house. Also I hate driving in the dark so I just cannot image having to drive down very narrow country lanes in mid-winter when it gets dark very early. I love the idea of living out in the countryside but after living in a town (Nanaimo) where everything is only five minutes away and its easy to drive around at night time. I know realistically that I might find it hard to adjacent to my new life in the UK. My OH is gutted that I feel this way but after being in Canada 10 years, for the first three years I would have easily have left but now I finding it really hard to think about leaving. Ironic really.
By the way my Mom said why don't I look at Yeovil as she thinks it's a nice place and not too far West. Have you looked there?

I hope all this makes sense as I have had several glass of champagne with friends! It's a tough life here in the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Weeeell, when you live in these large American mansions, you must expect to pay to heat them.
Ha! on the mansion. If only. The real reason for the excessive costs here is rampant capitalism with little to no regulation.

At least in New York, you always get a summer.
Yes, those 100 degree days with 90% humidity are something to look forward to I love Spring and Fall here - sooo beautiful! - and I don't even really mind winter, but I genuinely hate summer with a passion. I spend several months feeling like I can't breathe and rarely leave the house in August unless I have to. None of my English friends will come visit in summer because they find it too unpleasant and my bills are sky high because of air conditioning. I think British "summers" are infinitely preferable.

As for red tape, you've lived somewhere else and you know that there's good and bad every place. Why do Brits always focus on the bad when it comes to Britain?

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 22nd 2011 at 11:25 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

As for red tape, you've lived somewhere else and you know that there's good and bad every place. Why do Brits always focus on the bad when it comes to Britain?
I have only just returned to the UK after 29 years absence and find everyone complains (in the wrong places of course). Didn't take me long to fall in with everyone else. The Brits are no doubt a very self-depracting nation but I find it refreshing after that ra-ra mentality I had to endure in North America all of those years. I never drank the Kool-Aid.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I have only just returned to the UK after 29 years absence and find everyone complains (in the wrong places of course). Didn't take me long to fall in with everyone else. The Brits are no doubt a very self-depracting nation but I find it refreshing after that ra-ra mentality I had to endure in North America all of those years. I never drank the Kool-Aid.

Good post
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:20 am
Finally Home!

Me neither, but I don't think you have to drink the Kool-Aid to look around and see the positives. We only get this one life - shouldn't we try to enjoy it?

Your description of it not taking you long to fall in with everyone else worries me, because this is the thing I'm most terrified of about coming home. Living away from England, I've learned to appreciate things, to be more positive, to have patience and tolerance. I agree with President Obama that "cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom." I'm scared that when I go back, I'll immediately fall back into those old ways of shooting down someone else's enthusiasm with so-called 'reality' (which is really just over-negativity in disguise).

I wonder if it's possible to avoid that, or is it just a side-effect of living in the UK?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing is, I wonder if the people who are selling these homes know how their agents are not performing. They are probably sat there wondering why their houses are not selling. That is not to say all organisations give bad service, but I'll bet in the US, if you make a real estate enquiry, the agents will be swarming all over you.

And I have yet to find a shower that can deliver a constant stream of hot water.
If I was in the area, I would pop a note in their letter box: "Hello, I am interested in seeing your house but have been unable to get any response from the agent. Perhaps you could light a fire under them. Thank you."

That should get things rolling. I would probably also add my contact info.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Even if I had money to burn, I don't think I'd spend £845,000 on a 2 bed flat! Especially one that's had all the character stripped from it.

Every time I go to check houses in Kendal, this one comes up
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-14184651.html

Perfect! Lovely home, detached, tasteful decor, beautiful gardens, on a very quiet road, and right on a river. If anyone has about £400-£500,000 lying around that they don't need, shoot me a PM would you?
That is a really lovely house Sally and very tastefully decorated (for a change). To make it perfect, I would want the bathtub facing the window... I have this fantasy about lounging in the bath while looking out of the window ... and I would prefer a gas stove to electric.

I would really like a place with a running stream or by water but one thing I always wonder about: would water rats be a problem? Anyone know the answer to this?

(By the way, wonderful news about hubby committing to the move. Very exciting.
And sad to hear about your bereaved kitty... hope he is coming around.)

Last edited by bandrui; Apr 23rd 2011 at 4:43 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I like the look of this type of Grade 2 listed done-up town bolt-hole (3 bed 2 bath) on a cul-de-sac, but would prefer it a bit cheaper, though it's already priced at that magic 249,500 pounds.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33245615.html

I don't need a garden, got one already.

Like the Totnes links to Exeter/Plymouth/Torquay each about half and hour on the train.

There are flooding issues in some riverside parts of Totnes.
Yes, I saw this one. I think I have every place in Totnes memorised and am now looking at expanding my search to palces other than Rightmove. I can see the fun of being able to walk out of your front door and be in town. Lively. Exciting. I suppose I could look into the idea of having an allotment. I'm sure hip places like Totnes would have allotments.
I would be willing to make some compromises to be in a place that I found to be life-enriching.
I think Totnes is ideally situated. I would rather be 4 miles from Paignton than in Paignton. Even though there would still be lots of visitors, it would be nothing compared to being on the coast in this area, and 4 miles is nothing. As you say, fast on the train and I'll bet there's a bus which would be free with my over 60 bus pass.
This area was a favourite holiday area with our family when I was little. It may be busy but I wouldn't die of boredom.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
There's a little Firefox app called Property Bee, which lists all the activity on a house to date. It can be VERY interesting. However, if a house is taken off the market and then comes back one, it doesn't usually pick that up.
Anything for IE? I bet you've got something up your sleeve PistolPete.

I think Totnes would be a great choice. Lovely town, and in a way a lot like Saltspring in "feel.".
That's good to know because heaven knows Saltspring is the next best thing to paradise. I just want to have access to a lot of different areas, as in the UK. I take it you've been here Bev?

If we hadn't been dead set on being by the sea, we might have looked seriously at Totnes.
So you want to have your feet dangling in the water.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

If you qualify as a plumber then I would definately stay in the US. Who could resist that money? Do you like the decorations and furnishings in the UK homes? It is obvious that a large percentage of the population is colour blind.
That was the best laugh I've had in a long time! You're so right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.