Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Yes, we had to do that too! However, the kids knew our 'choice' beforehand and I'd told them not to get too excited when we said we'd be staying in Oz as it might appear offensive to Brits...the kids complied completely to the point where they met the announcement with completely blank expressions. Then we all dissolved into laughter as a crowd of bullocks standing behind us started mating...so if we come across as a completely insane family at that point...you'll know why!

Gate in the countryside...you were robbed - we got to wander around a stately home looking pensive! A very cold and boring day and definitely the worst of all the days. Felt really strange to wave the crew off though as every moment of our lives had been controlled for 8 days and suddenly we were on our own.

Breastfeeding...gawd! Our director would have had the bloody zoom lens on for that one. At one point I cried when being interviewed because (a) I was totally sleep deprived and (b) I was under a bombardment of questions about how I'd cope if I moved to the Uk then my kids left home as soon as they could to return to Oz. This is my 2nd worst nightmare (first one is staying in Oz and being trapped with grandchildren there). I'm sure this bit will make it into the program, I was just so, so, so exhausted at that point and a complete wreck.

Originally Posted by musicman500
Hi

I'll watch ours , I'm curious to see if I was really as discreet as I thought when breastfeeding!!!

Yes we picked an envelope!!lol, in a situation just like you said, musing over a gate overlooking beautiful countryside, but the weirdest thing was that we had to do that and pick the flag without the children, and then go and tell the children and friends/family our decision. It felt all wrong not to have them with us.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Well i'm going to watch it. Is ezzie your real name? if not what names shall i look out for.
Can't wait to see it.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:51 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hey you - how you doing???

It's funny when I think back on my life in Perth I have a few happy memories but mostly I can still feel the emptiness and constant feeling of dread I had when we lived there - you can't explain it to everyone - people either understand or don't.

I understand what you're going through though and I hope Christmas is bearable for you. I see you have that snowy scene on your avatar that you used last year - reminds me how sad you were last Christmas- can't believe a whole year has gone by since then! Take care honey

Anyway sorry for the hijack good luck to all of you wanting and wishing to get home for 2009xxx
Hi J. So sorry I haven't sent that email yet, but as per usual, I am so low and just can't seem to get my act together. How time flies eh and this year I feel worse than ever. Good friends of ours have separated and others are going home for good on Dec 21st, so once again, Christmas is going to be a lonely, sad non event.

Originally Posted by Exile
You're dead right, it is very strange watching those programs after having lived in the places they desperately want to go to.

I watched one a few months ago in which they were talking to the mother of the family while they were still in the UK. She was stood there grooming her horse amidst beautiful rural surroundings, while saying words to the effect that "we need to get out of the rat race, there is nothing here for us any more". You just want to shake them and shout wake up! Very bizarre.
Oh I have done that. A lovely member recorded all the 'Wanted Down Under' series for me and I found myself screeching at the tv at some of things that were said by both the presenter and the people taking part. I've watched them quite a few times now, yet I still get worked up by some of them.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Today will be the last day at school for the kids. I'm pulling them out. Although when I told them this they all said "if we're going to spend the week going to National Trust places instead, then we'd rather stay at school"!!!! Honestly....I was gobsmacked! They LOVE history, what's happened, surely it can't be in anyway related to them being teenagers!

The school staff were lovely and understood totally and I think were still on the backfoot regarding the attack on Immie. They've all started to make some nice friends although not as mad, insane and lovely as the friends they have in Sydney....even though those friends aren't exactly Australian - one Sri-Lankan, a Yank and a Pom. Son's friends are Aussies and whilst lovely, aren't as mad, insane and lovely as the one's the girls have. The girls also now have a set of 'male' friends...also of Pom/Kiwi background and again, are kids who really stand out from the rest. I don't know whether this is due to the school - son is at a private Christian school whereas daughters are at the local high school, but these lovely friends of theirs are all in the gifted classes as are they and they do say 'genius is closely related to insanity'!

I don't know whether I mentioned this before, but the other thing that really stands out about Aussie vs. Pommy kids is height. Our kids when in Oz are tall, but certainly don't stand out amongst their peers. Here....they're like bloody giants! Everyone is SO small compared to them. Not surprising considering the nutrition - once we got past the 'wow, look at the range of food on sale' shopping is annoying as the veggie section is pretty useless, fruit is 'orrible' most of it is shipped in from Egypt, Spain, America or the Baltics and on its last legs (it is winter here after all) and the rest of the supermarket is given over to E numbers. So much food is processed and this is what people buy. No wonder everyone is fat yet probably malnourished of vitamins and protein. Having said that...I cooked faggots and peas last night; delicious. Haven't told the kids what's in them yet though (don't you dare Jo!)

The girls we see are all the same, mostly tiny stick figures, they wear tight black pants for school uniform so you can see there's not an ounce of fat on them...or muscle! I really can see why Jamie Oliver is so incensed by things over here. I'm wondering how long we'd be here before my own daughters started to skip meals and obsess about their weight.

My son in sixth form is relishing the way they are treated. He's now regularly going 'into the village' with other lads for chips or a sandwich. He says the teachers chat to him openly about things as if he was an adult. One teacher yesterday was talking to him about how she'd love to teach the boy who hit his sister so she can extract vengence on him over a full teaching year (this sounds dreadful, but it was done in a humerous and sincere exchange relating to how awful all the teaching staff felt about the incident (apparently this lad should have been expelled on day 1 of Year 7!!!). Wouldn't happen in Oz (I'm a teacher) but this sort of exchange seems more common here, particularly with Sixth Form. My son says it feels like everyone's guard is down more here, so you can get closer to people and know what they're really like.

Son will be pleased to leave as there's a large group of Yr 11 girls who constantly mob him between classes - he knows it's only because he's new and an 'exotic Aussie' but they really do try to get a piece of him - it didn't help when his sisters turned up and told all the girls he fancied them and then filmed the result on their phones!

Supervision is less rigourous, particularly on school trips where kids are allowed to wander around a city by themselves. This ties in with what we saw last year when staying at a large Youth Hostel. A school group arrived - kids ran around, teachers propped-up the bar! I was horrified.

I feel sad for the kids who have befriended mine to have them leave after two weeks, but hopefully they'll all keep in touch and would have learned a bit about each other in that short time. We might even be back!

I was actually intending to write a bit about the underclass and social divide, but I've a sore throat and need a coffee so that'll have to wait till the next time. I've also got to sort out some clip on koalas for the kids to take into their friends today.

A bit of advice for everyone - don't buy a TomTom sat nav! I could write a book about the problems we've had with what must be THE most dysfunctional company in the universe! It's operated by kids on their gap year in Holland (I joke not!).....aaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Fortunately, a lovely Scottish lady from Regenersis (the company in Fife who repairs them) was brilliant to speak to and she's on the case now (and has discovered that our unit is in fact 'missing'!) So we'll see how we go now.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

You won't miss us - we're the one's with the Brummy accents looking jetlagged, startled and confused with teens who, being bored and fed-up with the entire process, have started to create their own entertainment - do you now understand why we don't want to watch it!!!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Well i'm going to watch it. Is ezzie your real name? if not what names shall i look out for.
Can't wait to see it.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Half of Britains youth appear to be pissheads (scuze French!)

Son went out for a curry with his friends from school - other 15 year olds. We were a bit nervous about him going out as we don't know these lads, haven't met their parents etc but we reckoned that he deserved a bit of freedom as he'd been so mature about the whole 'sussing out England' deal.

He had a great time - and a huge balti for a fiver, but....he was the only one not drinking alcohol at the table - the restaurant owner felt sorry for him so gave him free cokes. On a couple of occassions he was left sitting there by himself as the rest of the group went outside for a smoke. On the way home, they drove past the pub where my son saw the rest of his form all completely plastered, not able to stand up and attempting to carry each other/hold each other up. Apparently it's a Friday tradition.

The awful thing is that this is 'normal' for 15 year olds in the UK now. This is not just a few at this school...and this is a reasonable school in a really nice area, but practically the entire Year 11.

I'm wondering how long it would take if we moved back for my son to be fed-up being the only one not smoking, or not drinking and decide to join in?

Britain is such an odd place right now - a massive underclass now bulging at the seams; having kids purely for the 'benefit'. These kids were obviously underage - in this village, they're known by everyone, yet no one is there at the pub to stop them drinking or to say 'no' to them. Awful, it really is.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
I was actually intending to write a bit about the underclass and social divide, but I've a sore throat and need a coffee so that'll have to wait till the next time. I've also got to sort out some clip on koalas for the kids to take into their friends today.
I'm looking forward to reading that with great interest. Hope you're throat is better today.

Did you get a response through about the 3 year university rule for returniing brits?
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17708
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Enjoy reading your threads as we are returning to the UK in 4 weeks time but have you never experienced any of what you are describing at your children's shools here? We have here in Perth ane we live in a nice area and our's go to a private school.

Also interested if you have found out about the 3 year ruling for Uni as our Daughter will be going in September? Thanks.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborahjane
Enjoy reading your threads as we are returning to the UK in 4 weeks time but have you never experienced any of what you are describing at your children's shools here? We have here in Perth ane we live in a nice area and our's go to a private school.

Also interested if you have found out about the 3 year ruling for Uni as our Daughter will be going in September? Thanks.
Hi DJ, this is the gov's response, came through today (see the link above).

Read the Government’s response
Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), as independent, self-governing organisations, decide whether to charge students for their tuition fees at the ‘home’ rate or the higher ‘overseas’ rate in line with the Student Fees (Qualifying Courses and Persons) Regulations 2007. One of the eligibility criteria for home fee status is ordinary residence in the UK for the three years immediately preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course.

The three-year requirement has been part of the eligibility requirements, accepted by successive governments, since its introduction into the student support arrangements in the 1962 Education Act. We believe this remains a fair requirement which clearly demonstrates a substantial residential connection with the UK and recognises an economic contribution to the country. In specific circumstances, this has been extended to three years ordinary residence within the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, as a result of incorporating legislations from the European Community (EC), EEA and Switzerland to ensure the free movement of workers throughout these areas.

An exception is made to the three year residence requirement where this condition cannot be satisfied because the applicant or a specified family member has been temporarily employed or absent abroad. This provides flexibility for people who are not able to meet the residence requirements but have not made a long term decision to live outside the country. Where a UK National chooses to live abroad on a long term basis, we believe it is reasonable that they should not expect support for higher education from public funds.

The Government has carefully considered this policy in order to determine whether it still reflects the priorities and principles for providing financial support to students but can see no compelling reason to replace it. The Government believes that it is still right that the support provided by the taxpayer should be targeted at those who have a history of recent residence in the UK.

Students who are unable to meet the residence criteria may be charged fees at the higher ‘overseas’ rate. However, to allow flexibility in dealing with individual students’ circumstances, HEIs can waive or reduce fees where they consider it appropriate. The onus would be on individual students to provide a compelling and persuasive case to their university which would warrant the exercise of this discretion in their favour, as to do so would mean a loss of income for the institution
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:34 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Son went out for a curry with his friends from school - other 15 year olds. We were a bit nervous about him going out as we don't know these lads, haven't met their parents etc but we reckoned that he deserved a bit of freedom as he'd been so mature about the whole 'sussing out England' deal.

He had a great time - and a huge balti for a fiver, but....he was the only one not drinking alcohol at the table - the restaurant owner felt sorry for him so gave him free cokes. On a couple of occassions he was left sitting there by himself as the rest of the group went outside for a smoke. On the way home, they drove past the pub where my son saw the rest of his form all completely plastered, not able to stand up and attempting to carry each other/hold each other up. Apparently it's a Friday tradition.

The awful thing is that this is 'normal' for 15 year olds in the UK now. This is not just a few at this school...and this is a reasonable school in a really nice area, but practically the entire Year 11.

I'm wondering how long it would take if we moved back for my son to be fed-up being the only one not smoking, or not drinking and decide to join in?

Britain is such an odd place right now - a massive underclass now bulging at the seams; having kids purely for the 'benefit'. These kids were obviously underage - in this village, they're known by everyone, yet no one is there at the pub to stop them drinking or to say 'no' to them. Awful, it really is.
That was normal in the Uk 30yrs ago... Does this massive underclass village your staying in represent the whole of the UK Mmm???. Must be some hell of a Village Guess you wont be staying then amongst all us undesirables.........
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Rabsody for that information. We'll just have to wait and see how we get on when we're there.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Ezzie

Which village are you staying in so we can avoid going there. It sounds like village of the Dammed there!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:46 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Now this I just don't understand. My BIL is a pub landlord and it's more than his licence is worth to knowingly allow under age drinking. In fact, he says he has to ask for proof of age if he is in any doubt whatsoever, even for off licence sales. The laws have tightened tremendously over the years as well. We were back in the UK when our son was 15 and not one his friends or cousins he went out with got drunk, smoked or did anything like the things you've been telling us about, but some of his mates here in Oz did. They used to go down to the beach park and get stoned, drunk and have sex, that didn't make our son or the rest of his mates want to follow. As for the restaurant allowing kids to drink alcohol, I am very much surprised by this too, as they could not only lose their licence, but be heavily fined toboot.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I used to go drinking in pubs when i was 15..i looked older so i got in the pubs no problems. We tend to forget that we did what the young uns are doing now..
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:18 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Ezzie, I suggest you take your brood back to Sydney and stay there. That way you can TRY to keep them in their ivory towers forever. I doubt it will work mind you!! I have adult kids now, and if you think you are going to keep them away from doing just what they want to do as they get older, you are extremely niave!
As for all the stuff you have mentioned prior to my post, you are completely deluded if you think it does not and will not happen in Australia. They are teenagers for gods sake!
I did stupid things, smoked, drank, got up to mischief just like every other teenager on the planet, and that was 30yrs ago! Are you telling me that in your teens the same thing wasnt going on around you? If you do i wont believe you!

When you get back to Sydney I suggest a trip down to Bondi or Coogee beach and see whats going on with school kids... or, hang around the malls or local parks.

If you truly believe your kids are such angels and far superior to English kids then its best you keep them locked up over here. I predict tears and heartache for you though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.