Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Wikiposts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by ezzie
I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture of the UK - I'm aware that there's people reading this who are in a real quandry about whether to return or not, and I know how all-consuming this situation can be, so I'm hoping that by describing day to day events - which might bore the pants off some, but it also might spark off some memories or ideas which make a decision either way a little easier for those mulling over attributes less clear than 'which country is best'.

It's all about what makes you happy of course. For me, I love stomping through a bit of mud, walking on the hills and the wonderful seasonal changes, plus I love nothing more than a good natter and a bit of banter. Others aren't the country types, are more private and quiet or even love the heat, sand and surf...for them Sydney would be a dream come true...it's not such a happy place for me.

The real issue I see, is 'where do I want to grow old'. For me, that's a large village or small town in England where I can be silly, join the WI, grow strange shaped veggies and walk the dog along lovely lanes. I may have to rob a bank to fulfill that dream, but I did see some suitable black balaclavas for sale in the market yesterday for just 2 quid which might come in handy!

Essentially in my ramblings, some days will be good, others (like last Wednesday for us when our daughter was assaulted) were pretty bloody awful. Hopefully, if anyone is still reading this by the time we leave (I will be awarding medals), they'll have a bit of an insight into the ups and downs of UK life. Not everyone's life of course, just ours living on the fringe of a big city in the countryside.

We came here to see the UK 'warts and all'...admittedly the warts have grown and spread somewhat so you can't hide them under your jumper anymore, but there's hope, and that hope seems to be that there are still people smiling, still courteous, still cracking jokes and the fields of England still offer the most sensational ever-changing landscape and I love it! In fact so much, I'm off to put my new wellies on and have a stomp around in a bit of good English gooey mud. Let me know if anyone would like me to have a bit of a stomp for them whilst I'm at it!
Keep up the good work. I prefer to hear the warts and all version!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Actually, I'll rephrase the question. Can't you accept what's not perfect and go towards what's pleasing? Without living life in a permant escape route I mean?

Maybe we should all remember that when we jump ship and live on the other side of the world, trying to live in an escape route is what really gets us in the end. We can't do it. That's why we all get into such a dilemma. It's the real world or nothing.
But I guess it's a case of weighing up what is pleasing and what's not in both places and then looking at the big picture and what works for you and yours overall. Nowhere's going to tick all the boxes. You have to acknowledge the imperfect elements before you can accept them.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:28 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
But I guess it's a case of weighing up what is pleasing and what's not in both places and then looking at the big picture and what works for you and yours overall. Nowhere's going to tick all the boxes. You have to acknowledge the imperfect elements before you can accept them.
I agree but..........maybe it's my upbringing but I believe that Utopia is what we all create inside us. It's not something we can find externally.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks m'dear. I've always enjoyed the warts n'all approach too.
For those who just want to see the positive aspects of UK life, can I suggest a program coming soon on ITV.

Keep up the good work. I prefer to hear the warts and all version!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:45 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

The programme is centred around Birmingham isn't? Not the best part of the UK. I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson who said there is a reason why there is only 2 roads into Birmingham and 10 roads out.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

The programme is centred around Birmingham isn't? Not the best part of the UK. I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson who said there is a reason why there is only 2 roads into Birmingham and 10 roads out.
Hahaha, love it. I've never been. He also said that those that emigrate to Australia are losers that had no friends back in blighty and so had to leave to find a better life (or words to that effect).

Here, I found the article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle1023849.ece

"But what have the Australians ever done? What is the name of their prime minister? How much is an Aussie dollar worth? Name five films that they’ve made. Now go round your house and try to find something that was made there. Your computer? Your car? Your trousers? When someone has outgrown their home country, they move to America to become even more successful. Jamie Oliver, Simon Cowell and Graham Norton are following in the footsteps of Anne Robinson and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Whereas you never hear anyone say, “Well I’m totally happy. I have lots of friends, an enjoyable career and a great family. So I’m moving to Australia.” No one has ever gone there because of the success they’ve made of themselves somewhere else."

shit stirrer isn't he!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:13 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha, love it. I've never been. He also said that those that emigrate to Australia are losers that had no friends back in blighty and so had to leave to find a better life (or words to that effect).

"But what have the Australians ever done? What is the name of their prime minister? How much is an Aussie dollar worth? Name five films that they’ve made. Now go round your house and try to find something that was made there. Your computer? Your car? Your trousers? When someone has outgrown their home country, they move to America to become even more successful. Jamie Oliver, Simon Cowell and Graham Norton are following in the footsteps of Anne Robinson and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Whereas you never hear anyone say, “Well I’m totally happy. I have lots of friends, an enjoyable career and a great family. So I’m moving to Australia.” No one has ever gone there because of the success they’ve made of themselves somewhere else."

shit stirrer isn't he!

Love it
Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
Banned

shit stirrer isn't he!
He is very naughty. But funny. Helps sell a lot of cars.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:30 pm
Banned

More wellies. As I'm on the Gold Coast, bags I the leopard spot ones.

http://www.funky-wellington-boots.co...es_wellies.php
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:43 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

More wellies. As I'm on the Gold Coast, bags I the leopard spot ones.

http://www.funky-wellington-boots.co...es_wellies.php
Do these make the wearer an attention seeker or a fun lover??

Nothing worng with seeking attention though... we all need it from time to time

I reckon a fun lover though.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Do these make the wearer an attention seeker or a fun lover??

Nothing worng with seeking attention though... we all need it from time to time

I reckon a fun lover though.

Absolutely a mischief lover.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture of the UK - I'm aware that there's people reading this who are in a real quandry about whether to return or not, and I know how all-consuming this situation can be, so I'm hoping that by describing day to day events - which might bore the pants off some, but it also might spark off some memories or ideas which make a decision either way a little easier for those mulling over attributes less clear than 'which country is best'.

It's all about what makes you happy of course. For me, I love stomping through a bit of mud, walking on the hills and the wonderful seasonal changes, plus I love nothing more than a good natter and a bit of banter. Others aren't the country types, are more private and quiet or even love the heat, sand and surf...for them Sydney would be a dream come true...it's not such a happy place for me.

The real issue I see, is 'where do I want to grow old'. For me, that's a large village or small town in England where I can be silly, join the WI, grow strange shaped veggies and walk the dog along lovely lanes. I may have to rob a bank to fulfill that dream, but I did see some suitable black balaclavas for sale in the market yesterday for just 2 quid which might come in handy!

Essentially in my ramblings, some days will be good, others (like last Wednesday for us when our daughter was assaulted) were pretty bloody awful. Hopefully, if anyone is still reading this by the time we leave (I will be awarding medals), they'll have a bit of an insight into the ups and downs of UK life. Not everyone's life of course, just ours living on the fringe of a big city in the countryside.

We came here to see the UK 'warts and all'...admittedly the warts have grown and spread somewhat so you can't hide them under your jumper anymore, but there's hope, and that hope seems to be that there are still people smiling, still courteous, still cracking jokes and the fields of England still offer the most sensational ever-changing landscape and I love it! In fact so much, I'm off to put my new wellies on and have a stomp around in a bit of good English gooey mud. Let me know if anyone would like me to have a bit of a stomp for them whilst I'm at it!
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports from England, thanks for posting the good and the bad. I need to hear these things, as it makes my decision to move home more realistic, not idealistic!

You can have a great big stomp in the mud for me, thanks
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should all remember that when we jump ship and live on the other side of the world, trying to live in an escape route is what really gets us in the end. We can't do it. That's why we all get into such a dilemma. It's the real world or nothing.
That's essentially the dilemma folks who've lived in many places end up putting themselves in:- we want the "best" of each place we've lived in, and of course that is simply not obtainable. Hence the interminable juggling of pros/cons that many of us partake in. I haven't lived in the UK for over 25 years, so the two months exposure I am going to have to Birmingham for work early next year are sure to be a huge eye-opener in many many ways. However, in my case I have no intention of returning to the UK as I am very happily settled in what I've considered very much my home for at least a decade.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I always look out for this thread when I log on to Expats. I'm so enjoying ezzie's & family's experiences back home - yes, even though they are not always positive and hunky-dory. I think it was Rabsody (?) that said one must recognise and accept the negative and ugly bits first - I so agree with that. It's so easy to get carried away with visions of driving through country lanes surrounded by rolling green countryside, quaint villages, jovial bustling markets, high streets looking all lovely and sparkling with their Christmas lights, parties and happy times with family, going to the seaside with your kids in the Summer, etc.....but, you simply HAVE to be realistic and accept the grotty sides - the repetitive shades of grey & damp you endure from November to March, litter & beer cans/bottles, groups of kids using language and cocky behaviour with little or no regard for those walking by, lots of dog poo on pavements, etc. I know these things exist and await me back home, and sometimes they do make me a little hesitant because where I live in this part of Canada, I rarely experience any of these things. But I also look at the positive things to look forward to, and as Ezzie says "where I want to grow old" and I realise that the negatives can be overcome if you want them to.

Keep the posts coming Ezzie....I will be one of those still reading. I don't envy the predicament you face with your family and conflicting opinions of returning, but I sincerely hope it turns out good for all in the end.
All the best,
Ruby xx
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Forced family on a walk up Kinver Edge today. Absolutely stunning views. Half of Britain seemed to be out there walking - I'd forgotten how the Brits like to do a good Sunday walk (a good excuse for not going to church I guess). The views were brilliant from the top even though it was still a bit misty. A bit of a wind was blowing chippings of ice off the trees, it left the ground shining with shards of sparkling chippings which at first I thought was broken glass - I've actually never seen this phenomena before; or maybe I've just never noticed it. Returning is like being fitted with different glasses that allow you to see details not before seen - the colours, intricate brick work, how daintily robins can hop. If living overseas was necessary to be able to truly experience how lovely the British countryside is then maybe it was worth it.

Then, off to visit friends in Worcester. Even though Worcester itself is a decent town, sitting in an, albeit, large terrace felt claustrophobic and a bit depressing. I've left dh there for a boozy catch-up with his friend and drove back through very thick traffic. A wharf in Worcester had been developed with apartments - the builders have to allocate so many of the buildings for 'affordable housing'. This usually means they're bought up by the Council for their tennants. In this case Warwickshire CC had bought them..obviously placing their worst families in them (and out of Warks). Not surprisingly no private purchasers had been found for the rest of the development. Another case of 'a great idea, but.....'

Flippin' cold today. Was glad to come back to the warmth of the farmhouse. Kids rebelling - they absolutely don't want to go to school tomorrow. These are the kids who'll usually go to school no matter how sick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.