Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:12 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

'there's nothing' or seeing empty job pages in the papers, or endless commission only sales jobs on careers websites is even more depressing.

There are nearly 15,000 IT jobs advertised, some of which are in Birmingham around the salary scale you were hoping for.

http://www.totaljobs.com/IndustrySearch/ITInternet.aspx
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I am finding your reports really interesting Ezzie - I do think it is a shame that you have made the decision to find out at just the time when the world is going to pot financially. Aus is a bit behind UK but I think we are in for as big a shock in the end - you can see it happening already but the Aussies think that the resources are going to bolster them from the nasty big wide world implications so when that doesnt happen, they are going to fall harder.

It must be incredibly difficult for you being only 1/5 of the decision making - of course your kids are going to want to stay in Aus at the moment in the same way that families going in the other direction are having problems with their teens not wanting to make the move. Perhaps until they get to the end of year 12 or uni then they, like many other Aussie kids, will decide that this is boring and they wont wait to escape and make good use of their UK passports - both my boys headed off and, as you know, only one of them has come back - the other has good career prospects doing something he loves and he gets very bored with the backwater life we have when he does come back for a rare holiday.

However, I think you have done the right thing because you have chosen the worst part of the weather, the poor economic situation etc so if you find that you can make a go of it in those conditions then you will make a go of it even better when the sun shines and you have the economic security of a job. I must say though that your reports of the schooling doesnt surprise me that much - I look at our local gov HS (all of them!!!) and the picture isnt that different except that the kids arent actually allowed to smoke on the premises (they just have to walk further out into the bushes) and it would be a freaky year 7 girl who had never been pashed!

OH yes, wise decision about the horse!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:43 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Plus Ezzie, if you have brought your children up correctly and given them strong boundaries, they won't stray far off the track despite who they meet up with. When we moved from the Lake District to nearer a city area in the UK, I had a massive culture shock. I hated it. My daughter, then 15, got mixed up with a bunch of girls who all got pregnant, smoked, took drugs in did every to mess up their lives and succeeded. I lost so much sleep and my daughter and I fought terribly.
But she never followed their lead. She was horrible for a while but neither of my children ever got into trouble with the police or brought trouble home. They both have good jobs and lead reasonably clean living lives. I must have got something right.
It's always their upbringing that counts.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:49 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

My kids started at our local seniors here in September and they love it. They have had no problems settling in at all. Kids are not allowed to smoke in the school, but once out of the school gates their is little the school can do to stop them lighting up.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:22 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Ezzie

The private school my children go to in Perth (and we live in a good area)
have the same problems as you mention about the school in the UK. They have had Police at the school as drugs were found a few times and the same problems with smoking in and out of school. Bullying is very common too.

Most of my Daughters friends (not who she mixes with out of school I'm glad to say) spend 99% of their time on the beach getting drunk and with boys years older than them and in cars hooning around the streets at night.

The number of pupils who actually sat TEE exams was alarming: only 8 for History and 10 for Geography to name two subjects.

I know when we go back to the UK in January that schools are not going to be perfect. Our two will go to state schools and the other child to college/ university as private schools are way to expensive in the Uk. Saying that the 'private' schools here are not anything like the private schools back in the UK. We only send our's there as the high school by us is rough and rubbish. Looking at the UK schools we are interested in through the web and having received brochures on them they look good with excellent facilities and the primary school my son will attend has far less pupils in the class than the 38 he has in his private school here!

Trouble like you are experiencing happens in every school anywhere in the world.

Good luck with your decision and wish you the best wherever you decide to live.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborahjane
Ezzie

have the same problems as you mention about the school in the UK. They have had Police at the school as drugs were found a few times and the same problems with smoking in and out of school. Bullying is very common too.

Most of my Daughters friends (not who she mixes with out of school I'm glad to say) spend 99% of their time on the beach getting drunk and with boys years older than them and in cars hooning around the streets at night.

The number of pupils who actually sat TEE exams was alarming: only 8 for History and 10 for Geography to name two subjects.

I know when we go back to the UK in January that schools are not going to be perfect. Our two will go to state schools and the other child to college/ university as private schools are way to expensive in the Uk. Saying that the 'private' schools here are not anything like the private schools back in the UK. We only send our's there as the high school by us is rough and rubbish. Looking at the UK schools we are interested in through the web and having received brochures on them they look good with excellent facilities and the primary school my son will attend has far less pupils in the class than the 38 he has in his private school here!

Trouble like you are experiencing happens in every school anywhere in the world.

Yes, this is definitely true in the US where I am (I'm a school teacher, so can see it from both sides).
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Plus Ezzie, if you have brought your children up correctly and given them strong boundaries, they won't stray far off the track despite who they meet up with. When we moved from the Lake District to nearer a city area in the UK, I had a massive culture shock. I hated it. My daughter, then 15, got mixed up with a bunch of girls who all got pregnant, smoked, took drugs in did every to mess up their lives and succeeded. I lost so much sleep and my daughter and I fought terribly.
But she never followed their lead. She was horrible for a while but neither of my children ever got into trouble with the police or brought trouble home. They both have good jobs and lead reasonably clean living lives. I must have got something right.
This is so very true. When I was in senior school, many, many moons ago, there were kids who used to rush to the toilets during break to smoke, but it didn't make me want to. Smoking wasn't allowed in the school, but they almost always got away with it as the school was so big. Two of the girls in my immediate group were going out with men and having sex with them at 14/15years old, but it didn't make me want to do that either. My best friend bunked off school everyday and was always in trouble, but I didn't follow her. My son went through private school here in Perth, did his TEE's, got an excellent score and now has a degree, but not one of his friends went to uni and, a number of them dropped out of TEE's. Not once did he consider that path.

Ezzie
have the same problems as you mention about the school in the UK. They have had Police at the school as drugs were found a few times and the same problems with smoking in and out of school. Bullying is very common too.....

Where are you in WA and where are you headed to in the UK Deborah?

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Nov 26th 2008 at 3:30 am.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cricket1
I agree with this ...but it wont stop hem being bullied etc , its such a shame kids behave like this
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Ezzie

my children have just started their 2nd private school here ....the first and ment to be the best here(sheep follow)was the only brit one when we arrived
The head boy was cught drink driving ,sent to prison for a week and then still head boy ....
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:38 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
my children have just started their 2nd private school here ....the first and ment to be the best here(sheep follow)was the only brit one when we arrived
The head boy was cught drink driving ,sent to prison for a week and then still head boy ....
You have Brit schools where you are?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lobby lou
I agree with this ...but it wont stop hem being bullied etc , its such a shame kids behave like this

I was bullied horrendously through primary school. It leaves dreadful scars. I think there should be support groups for children who experience bullying on a day to day basis and there should be the equivalent of school bouncers these days. Head teachers could reward them and prevent them becoming corrupted by giving them mobile phone recharge cards or a similar incentive for taking on the role.
My friend's child is being bullied and he got upset recently because he said he felt useless. I told him that he just had to find one single thing that he was good at and to practise it every day. He's very good with animals, they love him. I'm just showing him how to adopt an animal on the internet and he's really perking up at the idea of receiving things through the post about how he's caring for animals. It's made him feel good about himself and he's beginning to care less about the bullies.

My own two children were never bullied, they both went to state schools. I pity anyone who would have picked a fight with my daughter. She is a fire cracker but that's good because she often waded in to stop others from being bullied. That's where I got the idea from about school bouncers. Don't think she was supposed to hit boys though. I always hoped I'd given birth to a little fairy. It didn't quite work out this way but she's turned out OK now. She doesn't speak to me but I know she's doing OK.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
You have Brit schools where you are?
Plenty of them in UAE, competition to get in them is huge.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:15 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by northernbird
Plenty of them in UAE, competition to get in them is huge.
Oh yes I know C, same as Singapore. We have good friends in both places with children still in schools there, but I'd never heard of it in Australia.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Oh yes I know C, same as Singapore. We have good friends in both places with children still in schools there, but I'd never heard of it in Australia.
She isn't in Australia, she is in UAE.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:36 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by northernbird
She isn't in Australia, she is in UAE.
Ah, thanks C.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.