Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:20 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Hey ezzie - read some of your thread - what a balanced, lovely account of England you give!

We've been back over 2 years now (from Perth) and it was only today that I was trudging around in the p*ssing rain, 4 degree temps, in and out of the packed shops trying to do some Chrimbo shopping and I was thinking would I swap this for a life back in the sun in Perth - do you know what, I wouldn't in a million years 'cos i just love life in England - I fit here - in
Perth I just felt like I was acting at life - like in a play or something - here I feel real - I think that's the key for those returning - you've just got to love England despite all it's inherent problems - I was lucky I never had any doubts about returning - I just knew I needed to be back in England to be 'real' and to be me again. For me the crime/schools/NHS etc etc was all insignificant - I craved England and all that it is.

Good luck with it all ezzie - hope it all works out for you and your family.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:14 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

If you look back at England's social history,

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/...tury-port.html

you'll find that inner city Britain, the slums, squalor and the crime have always rubbed shoulders with the grandeur and wealthy classes. Georgian Britain especially was made up of 80% poor and 20% elite aristocracy.
It's not that long ago, only just over 200 years so really, in this sense, urban and city life, while not that pretty, is a normal part of British life.
The papers make it sound dreadful but it's normal for it's time in history, as it is anywhere.
It wasn't until Victorian Britain, that the classification of 'middle class' sprang to life and this was beause of the prosperity that England was enjoying because of it's industrialised progress and the immigrants that were making industry happen.
So when you consider, crime, drugs, social problems and then relate them to the question, 'do I want to live back in England? It was all there before you left. You can't really base your decision on what you perceive to be 'a problem' because it's always existed.
There has always been a stark contrast between city life and the beauty of Englands rural life.

As far as making a decision on which country to live in goes, there is no comparison because the lifestyles are two extremes. I miss the morning frost on branches and the sounds of the cuckoo to let me know Spring has arrived in the UK. But equally I will miss sitting on my front verandah having morning coffee in the warmth of the Australian sun. Does this nice start to the day compensate for the cheery banter and warm connections with my English neighbours and friends? No it does not.

I know I need stimulating friends and conversation, I also need reliable staff to help my business grow. You can't hope to run a successful business if you haven't got good people on board. I can't get this here no matter how good the lifestyle is and as work and career ambition are my passion, this has to be my focus.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

More wavering emotions....I finally got past the 'we're busy, ring back when we're not' message from TomTom, when I realised how dark it'd had got after what was a beautiful frosty, but sunny morning - it was snowing! Got the wellies on and dashed about filming....then it stopped; damn!

Still, a nice bit of excitement for me.

I sat down to plan the trip after returning from my brother's place in Holland. I needed to book some YHA beds - I practically grew up in YHA's and I know things had changed there as a friend worked for them and left in disgust after having to book the directors lavish lunches and helicopter trips whilst simultaneously organising the sale of lovely hostels at the same directors instructions 'to keep the yha going'. We stayed in a beautiful hostel a year ago that was to close soon after..madness!

Anyhow, got my dates in hand and found....nothing! Most hostels are now rented out privately at peak times. I rang up and had a bit of a rant about the founding notion of the YHA organisation, but of course, to no avail. The yha is now just another budget accommodation service and walkers and travellers are bottom of its list. Very sad - end of an era stuff. I've had some great times in yha's over the years alongside other climbing/walking types of all ages and to know that's been lost is very sad indeed.

Anyone got 4 beds available around Bournemouth just before the New Year?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezzie
Anyone got 4 beds available around Bournemouth just before the New Year?
Have you checked out the Travelodge website - they've recently had some good deals (£29 rooms I think it was) but even at full price they're not that badly priced. Also Premier Travel Inns - they're good value too.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
Have you checked out the Travelodge website - they've recently had some good deals (£29 rooms I think it was) but even at full price they're not that badly priced. Also Premier Travel Inns - they're good value too.
We've got two nights at County Hall in London in a family room with Premier (for four of us) for 99 squid a night. What a bargain! What a location!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tilly...I'll check that one out.

Originally Posted by TillyG
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I might look at that one too...hoping we can use my cousins flat (even cheaper!!!!) but she's just got married and may not be answering her email for a while...can't imagine why!

When are you back in the UK then...permanant or Christmas hols?

Originally Posted by rabsody
We've got two nights at County Hall in London in a family room with Premier (for four of us) for 99 squid a night. What a bargain! What a location!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
I might look at that one too...hoping we can use my cousins flat (even cheaper!!!!) but she's just got married and may not be answering her email for a while...can't imagine why!

When are you back in the UK then...permanant or Christmas hols?
Nah not permanent for us, we are just going back for the month over Xmas and New Year. I haven't been homesick for the past month or so which has made life so much easier, but as we all know it waxes and wanes and hits you out the blue when you are least expecting it!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
We've been back over 2 years now (from Perth) and it was only today that I was trudging around in the p*ssing rain, 4 degree temps, in and out of the packed shops trying to do some Chrimbo shopping and I was thinking would I swap this for a life back in the sun in Perth - do you know what, I wouldn't in a million years 'cos i just love life in England - I fit here - in
Perth I just felt like I was acting at life - like in a play or something - here I feel real - I think that's the key for those returning - you've just got to love England despite all it's inherent problems - I was lucky I never had any doubts about returning - I just knew I needed to be back in England to be 'real' and to be me again. For me the crime/schools/NHS etc etc was all insignificant - I craved England and all that it is.
That's it - that is EXACTLY it!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:56 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
That's it - that is EXACTLY it!
I've been back now for 5 mths and thats exactly how i feel too

We got up to an inch of snow this morning and now its sunshining and barely a cloud in that Blue sky
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hey ezzie - read some of your thread - what a balanced, lovely account of England you give!

Good luck with it all ezzie - hope it all works out for you and your family.
Excellent post pommybird a great way of explaining it all....Thats the key i reckon feeling like you fit in and are not acting out someone elses life in a strange country.
All the best and Merry Christmas to you.....
Cally
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the most sensible thread in existence ?

I've only read a few pages but everything seems spot on without some stupid prat disagreeing vehemently and dragging the thread in to the gutter.

Some good honest sensible posts about Oz and the UK and how each have good and bad points...and how having experienced BOTH allows you to realise what is important to you AND make sensible comparisons on which is better in your opinion for you.

As they say...you never know what's good until you haven't got it.

Now I am back in the UK, the only thing about Oz I truly miss is the weather.
The rest I can happily do without......but key for me is I now appreciate the UK far more than before.

It really is, by and large, a good place.

PS.....Jeremy Clarkson is pretty accurate I'd say.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:31 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, this thread is a great read.

For me it really highlights how sentimental we can get about the silliest little things, such as red bricks, green fields, robins singing..... Many returnees to the UK comment on how beautiful these things are.

Now, I'm not disagreeing, they are beautiful. But clearly, many people step off the plane at heathrow wearing their rose-tinted glasses. Or, did they never noticed the old buildings, green fields and birds singing in the 30 or so years that they lived there, in the first place?

The reality is exposed in this thread. The grass is always greener, until you get to the other side, when it stays brilliant and green but slowly fades to the same colour it is in every other field.

I think ezzie has been extremely lucky to have been accommodated in what sounds like a beautiful rural farmhouse. I wonder how differently her experiences would read, if she had been accommodated in an 80m2 terraced house, or alternatively in a house that was within her family's budget?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:17 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I agree, this thread is a great read.

For me it really highlights how sentimental we can get about the silliest little things, such as red bricks, green fields, robins singing..... Many returnees to the UK comment on how beautiful these things are.

Now, I'm not disagreeing, they are beautiful. But clearly, many people step off the plane at heathrow wearing their rose-tinted glasses. Or, did they never noticed the old buildings, green fields and birds singing in the 30 or so years that they lived there, in the first place?

The reality is exposed in this thread. The grass is always greener, until you get to the other side, when it stays brilliant and green but slowly fades to the same colour it is in every other field.

I think ezzie has been extremely lucky to have been accommodated in what sounds like a beautiful rural farmhouse. I wonder how differently her experiences would read, if she had been accommodated in an 80m2 terraced house, or alternatively in a house that was within her family's budget?
Home is what you make it.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:45 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Home is what you make it.
wise words !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.