Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:20 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

St Georges Girl

We are in Mindarie, Perth and heading to Exeter, North Devon which is a completely new place for us.

Just over 6 weeks to go and can't wait!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:17 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborahjane
St Georges Girl

We are in Mindarie, Perth and heading to Exeter, North Devon which is a completely new place for us.

Just over 6 weeks to go and can't wait!
Not far from me then, I'm in Iluka. So what made you decide on Exeter if that's not where you came here from?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
You have Brit schools where you are?
Of course we have british private schools here....LOL
The new one my kiddies go to is fab ,gr8 facilities,lots of after school activities,very small classes,my son was top of the school in his recent tests(so the standard of education is very good),And best of all DH company pay the fees......
We may live in a desert ...but its really quite civilised you know
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:34 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

St Georges Girl

Exeter was a choice along with Australia when we were choosing a place for our move 5 years ago.

Now we are on our way back we thought we may as well try out Exeter. It looks a lovely city and the surrounding area's have beautiful countryside and coast.

Don't know Exeter but have been to Devon many times and love it there.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

DH is back from travels...kids reacted by telling him how miserable they are etc, etc. In other words, trying it on a bit. Anyhow, had a rotten morning with them all, dropped them at school (still moaning) and went into the village with other half for some milk. Had a lovely chat in Co-op, popped next door to greengrocer to buy local cabbage etc. and had a lovely chat there. Then to butcher who took the time to give me the history of the humble sausage. Bought a couple of pound of 'pre-war sausage' - made with 95% meat & 5% breadcrumbs (not mostly wheatchaff like today's sausages!). Also succumbed to some original Black Country blackpudding - with the big lumps of fat in, not all mulched up like the usual stuff. All sossies were made on the premises by father, son and daughter and the pride they had in them was obvious. Next visit we'll be trying the 'ale sausages'.

On the way back to the farm, we saw a chap weaving baskets at a house on the street. Of course, I had to stop and that led to a good half hour conversation on basket weaving and this chaps potted history. He used to manage a wildlife park on Rhum. Really interesting to hear about and brilliant to see such a craft going strong. He had bundles of different kinds of willow all soaking ready to be woven. Baskets were quite expensive, around 30 quid for a shopping basket, but they'd last for years and would bring pleasure every time you looked at one.

Today, I've mucked out the stable, neatened the compost pile, cleaned up dog poo, collected windfalls for the hoss, tidied the kids bedroom, vacuumed, lit the fire, fed the chooks, dogs, organised dinner, chatted to a robin, plus loads of other things....can't say the hubby has done an awful lot of job hunting though. Very annoyed...and very smelly too. The country aroma of fermenting manure is definitely becoming a part of me. I must say I got huge satisfaction from turning the manure pile and seeing a steady stream of steam rising from it and knowing it was a damn fine pile of poo that was fermenting there.....yes, I think country life suits me. Think I should join the WI!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Midlands Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by m100
Driving out of the city was pretty depressing again. It makes you realise how the entire area between the inner and outer ringroads of the city have been taken over by Pakistani's. Not a white face in sight...in fact, not many faces at all as a huge proportion were covered by burkas! It was all pretty ramshackle and obvious where the area stopped as suddenly you'd be driving through neater streets again.

Sounds alot like Lidcombe in Sydney, which they dont show you on the 'moving to Australia' programmes, they only show you the good bits, beaches etc...
Also sounds like Punchbowl (Lekemba) in Sydney
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babycart
Great read, the programme you were involved in was a complete manipulation of trying to sell GB as the place to be. I think that it is frightening that the UK public will be feed a programme that is so contrived.
Do you know, I've been thinking the same thing and wondered if this 'reality series' has been paid for by the British Government!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:41 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

It is television and it has nothing to do with reality. In fact, I wonder why they call it reality TV? It's all about viewing numbers. Mind you, it's a good way to brainwash the public.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, although when we agreed to do it, apart from the fact that they paid our airfares, we hoped that it might make some Brits yearning to emigrate at least stop and consider what they were giving-up and to see that emmigration isn't a one way street out of the country - many return with a new appreciation for their country.

I'm loving being back in the country...but in the countryside - there's no way I'd move back to the UK to live in a city.

Kids had a slightly better day at school. Son only had a couple of classes as teachers just don't turn up, so they get the period off! Daughters (who are THE most lovely and sociable, friendly things) just can't get anyone to let them into the tight social groups. I was warned about this by some Brit teens we know who have moved to Oz....I thought it wouldn't apply to my girls seeing as they're known for their friendliness and social skills - they're really not a happy bunch at the moment. They've never given me any grief ever, but right now they're terrified that we're going to move to the UK. The things that bind me such as the banter, humour...and basket weaving characters aren't exactly leaving them in awe, they just want to be home with their friends. Who, by the way, are all texting them with ever-elaborate schemes to get us to return to Oz, bless 'em!

OK, currently having a bit of a weep here wondering what sort of hell I'm putting my kids through. It seems peverse that I'm so happy here whilst they're so unhappy.

Originally Posted by cricket1
It is television and it has nothing to do with reality. In fact, I wonder why they call it reality TV? It's all about viewing numbers. Mind you, it's a good way to brainwash the public.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of

What a dilemma ezzie, I really feel for you!

How about getting your kids to write a list of pros and cons for both countries and you could do one too as well and then meet up over a cup of tea to compare how you see things....

Do you regret coming back to do the program in the sense that you aren't now sure what to do next?

take care.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Just returned to UK - daughter attacked at school today...

Yup....daughter attacked at school today. Have her here, she's shaken and hurt. Medical centre didn't have a doctor there till later and the nurse refused to see her.

Off to pick other kids up...details later when I've calmed down.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Yup....daughter attacked at school today. Have her here, she's shaken and hurt. Medical centre didn't have a doctor there till later and the nurse refused to see her.

Oh, Ezzie, how awful for you and your family! Don't know what to say.......

Please do update us on how your daughter is doing.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I've been following this thread with such enthusiasm....but this is just awful. I know it won't change a thing ezzie, but I really feel for the predicament you're in. In a similar way, I'm in that too but over here in Canada.....my 17 year old son refuses to entertain the idea of going back home to the UK (same as his Dad), whereas me and my 11 year old daughter want nothing but. It's causing me terrible stress and grief in my household about where my loyalties lie....I'd feel a terrible mum to "abandon" my son in order to fullfil my happiness.....or, I stay here, keep popping the meds and play "happy families" while me and my daughter are miserable as sin. Life's full of dilemmas!! Great innit!!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Flippin heck, thats awful. I hope she's OK. Thats going to put her off wanting to stay.
Did it seem like it was a rough school or is this an unusual even for the area you are in?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

So sorry to hear that Ezzie !!!!! you are certainly going through an emotional time girl,hang in there......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.