Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Thanks for the kind words - yes, it's been lovely being part of, and reading a thread that hasn't descended into vitriole. I think probably because this thread is appreciated by those who are stuck between two places - able to see the good points and bad of both. After all, if one place was all bad, then the choice to stay or go would be simple!

I think we'd miss a lot more than the Sydney weather. My kids friends, our friends, a more upbeat attitude, the cleanliness of the streets, good schools (where teachers turn up to lessons and the kids don't beat my daughter up) well managed facilities and good customer service to mention a few. I'm sure there's those who would argue against what I've just said, but over the 22 years we've been in our neck of the Sydney woods, these are the things which we have enjoyed.

Essentially, what's pulling us back is the banter and being able to enjoy having a real belly laugh again. Robins etc are lovely, but aren't the reason we're looking at a return. It's like having the option between living in a wonderfully well-run society, in a big house with all the trimmings and warm weather or not having all those things but actually 'enjoying' living.

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Is this the most sensible thread in existence ?

I've only read a few pages but everything seems spot on without some stupid prat disagreeing vehemently and dragging the thread in to the gutter.

Some good honest sensible posts about Oz and the UK and how each have good and bad points...and how having experienced BOTH allows you to realise what is important to you AND make sensible comparisons on which is better in your opinion for you.

As they say...you never know what's good until you haven't got it.

Now I am back in the UK, the only thing about Oz I truly miss is the weather.
The rest I can happily do without......but key for me is I now appreciate the UK far more than before.

It really is, by and large, a good place.

PS.....Jeremy Clarkson is pretty accurate I'd say.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

You're spot on there Mark....I would imagine if we had to live in a small inner city terrace, we'd be out of the UK like a shot. Not just because of the lack of space, but everything that would go with it. We quickly discovered the difference it makes and how disparate the experiences are between country and city living especially as far as the kids go.

The school the kids go to is considered 'reasonable' yet it is woefully lacking compared to Sydney. This seems to be in party the quality of the kids bussed in from some city areas. The rest is the usual 'head in the sand' approach of senior education managment. Well done to the Scots and Welsh who have taken giant steps away from the English education system. There are some good schools over here, but the sheer number of classes out of control on a daily basis is staggering. Instead of listening to Ofsted, someone should talk to the kids about what goes on (or not) in their classes.

Originally Posted by markallwood
I agree, this thread is a great read.

For me it really highlights how sentimental we can get about the silliest little things, such as red bricks, green fields, robins singing..... Many returnees to the UK comment on how beautiful these things are.

Now, I'm not disagreeing, they are beautiful. But clearly, many people step off the plane at heathrow wearing their rose-tinted glasses. Or, did they never noticed the old buildings, green fields and birds singing in the 30 or so years that they lived there, in the first place?

The reality is exposed in this thread. The grass is always greener, until you get to the other side, when it stays brilliant and green but slowly fades to the same colour it is in every other field.

I think ezzie has been extremely lucky to have been accommodated in what sounds like a beautiful rural farmhouse. I wonder how differently her experiences would read, if she had been accommodated in an 80m2 terraced house, or alternatively in a house that was within her family's budget?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

I was just reading the news here in England and something that just struck me is that when reporting a story, they always mention the value of the house that the person they're writing about lives in, and if the person is above the age of 55 they'll always give the age, possibly adding the words 'pensioner' or the like to it. Bizarre and totally unneccesary.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:24 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
That's it - that is EXACTLY it!
Same for me too. All I know is that the last time I was 'home' the thought of coming back here filled me with dread. Watching a programme showing migrants to WA and NSW whilst in my sisters house sent a chill right through me. I told my OH then and there that I never wanted to come back here as long as I lived, but of course I knew I had to. Like pommygirl, I knew I belonged in England and still do. I don't hate or even dislike Australia, I just don't belong here and feel I am just existing.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Add me to the list of those who just dont "belong" here. My life is but half a life for some completely inexplicable reason - and I reckon I have been here long enough to know. It is that indefinable "something" that getting off the plane at Heathrow does to you and even though there are warts and all it is where I belong. Like St GG I absolutely dread getting on the plane to come back here, I cry all the way from Cambridge to London usually and when the plane lands in Canberra and you get the cheesy "welcome to Canberra" message I nearly want to vomit. It's very much like volunteering to wear a straightjacket.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Add me to the list of those who just dont "belong" here. My life is but half a life for some completely inexplicable reason - and I reckon I have been here long enough to know. It is that indefinable "something" that getting off the plane at Heathrow does to you and even though there are warts and all it is where I belong. Like St GG I absolutely dread getting on the plane to come back here, I cry all the way from Cambridge to London usually and when the plane lands in Canberra and you get the cheesy "welcome to Canberra" message I nearly want to vomit. It's very much like volunteering to wear a straightjacket.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:02 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ezzie - I have been tuning in daily for your reports - they are giving me a great flavour of life in the UK and helping make a decision. I think. Please keep them coming and thanks to all posters for the lack of judgemental balls that always seems to invade BE these days.

I don't think we have crossed the bridge yet, but this thread is one of the (many) sources of information that's nudging us closer. Now - if you go and roast some chestnuts and tell me how great they are, I might finally fall over the edge...

Good luck. And thanks!

Ed
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

No chestnuts today ...but previously saw plenty roasting at the German Christmas market in the centre of Brum...brilliant place to be and the atmosphere is even better at night. People milling around the stalls, chatting, laughing and drinking German beer and gluewein - no trouble whatsoever. In fact people at the Council (we had tea with the Mayor!) said they are purposely ensuring plenty of city centre community fun and entertainment because it actually makes it a safer place.

Just back from the centre of Wolverhampton - new(ish) leisure centre there, took the kids swimming. OK - they got some strange looks as the kids duly kitted themselves out in boardies and rash vests (not exactly mandatory requirements in an indoor pool in winter!).

Great fun, water slides, whirlpools, wave thingos...lots of fun but would have been nice if just 1 degree warmer. Funny coming home, everyone starving hungry which brought back memories of hanging around the vending machines at Stetchford Baths when young.

The pool had about 6 lifeguards on duty (for 'elf & safety') yet had the most slippy tiles on the floor I've ever come across, I swear they must have greased them!

An interesting poster got my attention as we walked in. It was the usual 'family' picture of dad, mum and a couple of kids used to advertise the leisure centre - except it was of a totally coloured family. Previously, you 'might' have had one token family of ethnic origin, so interesting - and nice, to see everything has moved on a bit.

It's really funny, but every call I make or person I talk to, I'm just still a bit shocked when they talk back to me. It's just so brilliant! God..the dry wit, I love it (but am out of practice a bit and keep taking people seriously)

Right, I am now seriously knackered after all that activity..oh, cost just under a tenner for 1 adult and 3 kids for swimming. Parking was free. Lockers used a pound coin which was refunded when you'd finished with them. Included sauna and steam room if you wanted.

Just have to tell you that the frost lasted all day today, although I haven't felt cold at all. A lovely sunny day and with the sun shining on the frost, it was a very pretty sight indeed. Vet visited the horse and filed it's teeth so hopefully it won't bite me so hard now! Couldn't top up the water troughs as hose had frozen solid. Snow forecast....can't wait!

Oooh...and another thing, coming back we listened to Radio 1...a brilliant history/music montage of Pink Floyd and resulting bands/individuals influenced by them. So nice to have some 'thinking persons radio' instead of the stuff we hear back in Sydney. However....TV and radio has definitely gone down the nick here. You should have seen the sexual content of some of the adverts on last night....bloody hell! Boy, was I glad the kids had gone to bed...even I turned it off in case I became corrupted!

Originally Posted by ededed
Thanks Ezzie - I have been tuning in daily for your reports - they are giving me a great flavour of life in the UK and helping make a decision. I think. Please keep them coming and thanks to all posters for the lack of judgemental balls that always seems to invade BE these days.

I don't think we have crossed the bridge yet, but this thread is one of the (many) sources of information that's nudging us closer. Now - if you go and roast some chestnuts and tell me how great they are, I might finally fall over the edge...

Good luck. And thanks!

Ed
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

musicman500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We were also filmed for the programme - it is going to be called 'No place like Home' and it should be on in January/February at 5 pm on ITV every weekday. There were 3 programmes on last year in the evening but this time the format was a bit difference.

We were filmed by director Simon in Austria and Dan in UK. Like you say it was very hard work.In Austria ( where we live at the moment)for 15 mins of programme the director filmed 25 hours worth of film!!!

I spent one day going all the way down to Kent from North Yorkshire to film a 1 hour interview!!! ( it was with Simon May who composed the them tune to Eastenders!!). We have 3 children - 6,8 and a 4 months old baby!! So it was interesting!!! Although I think showing us 3 houses was a waste of time and I felt like the producer thought that if there was no property in the programme no-one would watch it!! I found Catherine Gee down to earth but she did travel 1st Class while me ,the director and researcher was in Standard!!!

So Ezzie how long are you in the UK for? We just stayed a week because we had to go back to run our apartment house. We are worried now whether we can sell our place here to move back!!

What are you going to do? We went back to where we have moved form -The Yorkshire Dales so we meet a lot of our old friends. When the boys went back to their old school ( with the cameras!!) they were treated like film stars!! It was nice to be back where we could all understand everybody.

It has been interesting reading your posts.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Hi
I'll just add to what my husband wrote - I have loved reading this thread , I don't know how you coped filming and being jet lagged at the same time, in fact we talked about it during our week. I also found it really tiring but what didn't help was the fact that we were in a B+B in a family room - all 5 of us, when one's awake we were all awake! My theory is that they film you so much but with editing they only show you at the end of the week when you are so bogged down with tiredness that you don't care what you say on camera .

I am wondering how we'll come across on TV, are you?

Did you have Max the researcher with the lovely eyes? If anyone wonders where baby Ethan was during filming - he was usually with Max in another room!!

So how are you feeling today? Did the children go off to school OK?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:38 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Same for me too. All I know is that the last time I was 'home' the thought of coming back here filled me with dread. Watching a programme showing migrants to WA and NSW whilst in my sisters house sent a chill right through me. I told my OH then and there that I never wanted to come back here as long as I lived, but of course I knew I had to. Like pommygirl, I knew I belonged in England and still do. I don't hate or even dislike Australia, I just don't belong here and feel I am just existing.

Hey you - how you doing???

It's funny when I think back on my life in Perth I have a few happy memories but mostly I can still feel the emptiness and constant feeling of dread I had when we lived there - you can't explain it to everyone - people either understand or don't.

I understand what you're going through though and I hope Christmas is bearable for you. I see you have that snowy scene on your avatar that you used last year - reminds me how sad you were last Christmas- can't believe a whole year has gone by since then! Take care honey

Anyway sorry for the hijack good luck to all of you wanting and wishing to get home for 2009xxx
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Same for me too. All I know is that the last time I was 'home' the thought of coming back here filled me with dread. Watching a programme showing migrants to WA and NSW whilst in my sisters house sent a chill right through me. .
You're dead right, it is very strange watching those programs after having lived in the places they desperately want to go to.

I watched one a few months ago in which they were talking to the mother of the family while they were still in the UK. She was stood there grooming her horse amidst beautiful rural surroundings, while saying words to the effect that "we need to get out of the rat race, there is nothing here for us any more". You just want to shake them and shout wake up! Very bizarre.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

We had Hamish in Oz, who was an Aussie now living in the UK, and Ed in the UK. At the end of the day they've a program to produce, but there's ways and means & this boundary was pushed sometimes.

We were incredibly tired and stressed throughout filming. I was getting no more than 2 hours sleep on any night. The accommodation was in a lovely location but was a small unit for 4 people...and we're a family of 5 (and tall one's at that). I was sleeping in a double bed with my two teenage daughters so I'm surprised I could even string two words together. God...the endless having to 're-greet' people for the camera...aaaaghhhh! I'm sure you went through the same torture.

The presenter just swanned in, looked bored, said her bit and buggered off. I think pregnancy and a long series of shoots had taken their toll.

We have all decided that we're not going to watch it based on an assumption that it won't reflect the real us at all.

Today I've a headache - the twins were arguing over a hairbrush (again!) this morning and their room is a pigsty. No snow as forecasted...just heavy rain, but a wonderful view over the countryside now that the sun's come out.

Did you have to pick one of those 'envelopes'?

Originally Posted by musicman500
Hi
I'll just add to what my husband wrote - I have loved reading this thread , I don't know how you coped filming and being jet lagged at the same time, in fact we talked about it during our week. I also found it really tiring but what didn't help was the fact that we were in a B+B in a family room - all 5 of us, when one's awake we were all awake! My theory is that they film you so much but with editing they only show you at the end of the week when you are so bogged down with tiredness that you don't care what you say on camera .

I am wondering how we'll come across on TV, are you?

Did you have Max the researcher with the lovely eyes? If anyone wonders where baby Ethan was during filming - he was usually with Max in another room!!

So how are you feeling today? Did the children go off to school OK?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:21 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie

We have all decided that we're not going to watch it based on an assumption that it won't reflect the real us at all.

You're kidding ?! It'll be great. Ok, you might say a few silly things, or look a little grumpy at times... but that's just the price you have to pay when you're a tv celebrity.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ezzie

Did you have to pick one of those 'envelopes'?
Hi

I'll watch ours , I'm curious to see if I was really as discreet as I thought when breastfeeding!!!

Yes we picked an envelope!!lol, in a situation just like you said, musing over a gate overlooking beautiful countryside, but the weirdest thing was that we had to do that and pick the flag without the children, and then go and tell the children and friends/family our decision. It felt all wrong not to have them with us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.