British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/just-returned-uk-film-tv-prog-initial-thoughts-573010/)

ezzie Nov 14th 2008 2:03 am

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Have dragged family into filming for a 'Poms thinking about returning to UK' type program. Its been a bit of a rollercoster, but we've now arrived in the UK and have been filmed for the last two days. Yesterday the sun shone and I have to admit that it was nowhere as cold as I thought it would be. I can't tell you how marvellous it was to see the fields, hedgerows and tiny villages as we sped up the motorway. We're staying in a small cottage on a farm-type place....small, but comfy. Not having enough hot water reminded us that we were in England, but then so did the friendliness of people...not a superficial 'how are you' type friendliness, but people who'd stop and chat.

Our trip to the supermarket was fabulous. I was expecting high meat prices and so was pleasantly surprised. The range of food and products was just mindblowing!

We were taken to see a house yesterday...the rooms were teeny...apart from the bathroom, which was enormous. Cracks everywhere, a kitchen with steps in the middle (I'd have broken a leg in no time!). The asking price was 350,000 quid!!!!! They thought we'd be fine with taking out a mortgage, but with the recession it'd be the last thing we'd do. However, after we took ourselves off to an estate agent we found there are properties that would suit us in the 250,000 range - just need to look in different areas, but they are around.

Weather yesterday was typically British - wet, overcast and grey. It didn't spoil the countryside, but driving through some of the inner city areas was pretty bloody grim. In fact we all fell into a bit of depression just looking at it...never mind living there!

We're off to look at a school today - however, it's a grammar school which we'd have NO chance of actually getting our kids into in reality! At least it will provide some benchmark as to standards of ed in the UK.

The thing that we noticed most, if we had to list the main difference, is the level of engagement people have with each other. The weather may have been bleak yesterday, but we generally saw beaming smiles and met some real characters.

Lots to think about, lots to do...I'll write more if anyone's interested!

Mummy in the foothills Nov 14th 2008 2:12 am

Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

I'm interested. It sounds fascinating.

USAGypsies Nov 14th 2008 2:15 am

Yes, write more please :)

cally49 Nov 14th 2008 2:20 am

Yes please!:)

sambapink Nov 14th 2008 2:20 am

Oohh yeah, keep us updated.. when will it be aired?.. We did a 'little" thing for GMTV this year.. nothing compared to what your doing.. but just a little stint about life as an expat.. Im not sure you can sum it up in 4 minutes though!! Its incredibly nerve wrecking.. but fun.. Enjoy!

ezzie Nov 14th 2008 3:26 am

OK, be prepared for further ramblings....the program is actually going to be an hour long session of our family. Daunting....but hopefully will prove useful. Sitting up at 4.40am here with my son...both of us jetlagged. Rest of family could sleep through WWIII!!!

I'm doing bubble & squeek for breakfast (only because we generally fall asleep by the time dinner is cooked and it's getting left).

Another thing I noticed in the city fringes...the number of charity shops...mind boggling! The news is full of redundancies, lay offs and more economic gloom. People generally are now treating Gordon Brown as some financial messiah...just shows how the recent economic crisis has started messing with people's heads!

Just had bowl of Golden Nuggets....luvely! Off to bed for an hours kip.

Irish Guinness Nov 14th 2008 5:03 am

Yes yes please keep it coming great read :thumbup:

bramblebush Nov 14th 2008 7:04 am

Yes yes definatly keep the updates coming.

St.Georges Girl Nov 14th 2008 7:37 am

Thanks for posting Ezzie and yes, would love to hear more, lots more please.:)

ezzie Nov 14th 2008 8:09 am

Just back from a walk down the lane....had to dodge a few cars travelling at speed and one bugger in a red van tried to splash me....grrrr! But, saw all sorts of lovely chiruppy birds (nb. not one went 'squawk')...little tits and wrens all hopping gracefully around in the hedgerows which were scattered with the bright red berries of rosehips and holly. The greeness of the grass was almost blinding and the orangey red brickwork of the local farm buildings provided a wonderful vista that was good enough to eat.
It's incredibly mild...all of us just had a thin jumper on and could easily be dressed in t-shirts for the walk...yes, really! Rain due later though so the temp may drop then. Right now, there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be.

Merseygirl Nov 14th 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 6972171)
Just back from a walk down the lane....had to dodge a few cars travelling at speed and one bugger in a red van tried to splash me....grrrr! But, saw all sorts of lovely chiruppy birds (nb. not one went 'squawk')...little tits and wrens all hopping gracefully around in the hedgerows which were scattered with the bright red berries of rosehips and holly. The greeness of the grass was almost blinding and the orangey red brickwork of the local farm buildings provided a wonderful vista that was good enough to eat.
It's incredibly mild...all of us just had a thin jumper on and could easily be dressed in t-shirts for the walk...yes, really! Rain due later though so the temp may drop then. Right now, there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be.

Sounds lovely, these are all the things I miss (not getting splashed by puddles tho!) It has suddenly occurred to me that in the 13 years I've spent in Adelaide, I haven't been splashed by a puddle once. Mind you, puddles are a pretty rare occurrence in South Australia these days:D It helps if you have some rain to begin with......

Londonuck Nov 14th 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ezzie (Post 6971791)
The news is full of redundancies, lay offs and more economic gloom.

Its the not the news any more its the prediction of doom at 9 o'clock.

Fleaflyfloflum Nov 14th 2008 8:46 am

Loving reading your posts Ezzie.
Even though i have only recently come back, i was living in a lovely rural seting as you describe. The week before i left they were harvesting the corn. Was so lovely watching all the farmers in the feilds with their harvesters chucking up wheat chaff. :thumbsup:

quoll Nov 14th 2008 9:19 am

Wow, Ezzie, how exciting! We will love to get the updates. I so know what you mean about that blinding green of the vegetation and all the country hedgerows with their seasonal colours. I am so envious of you, I hope it all works out really well!

Nu-Shooz Nov 14th 2008 10:17 am

Where are you in UK ezzie? Sounds lovely, i'm getting all excited about coming back.:)