Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Hi ezzie, so how did filming the 'decision day' go yesterday? I'm bet you're glad all the filming is over now? Did you manage a better sleep last night?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Phew! Finished filming yesterday. A very nerve-wracking day as we had this big 'decision' to make. There was pressure to reconsider our direction through the day which left me feeling drained, vulnerable and stressed.

There is a real dilemma at the root of this too. There really is no work available that we've found so far. The agent DH saw yesterday confirmed this. The 'relocation expert's' advice was to move, DH to do contract work in a completely different location and just come home at weekends, which admittedly is a solution, if not a slightly mathamatical one and ignores the emotional aspects of creating a divided family and that we'd not get a mortgage with the breadwinner on contract work...and you can imagine how dodgy contract work would be at the moment.

So, it's been a surreal experience. However, the good thing was that after the two dreadful properties they showed us, we visited the one I found and we loved it. If we had a job I'd buy it right now. The agent didn't want to show anyone around so the owner stayed behind and did it. He was brilliant (and VERY handsome) and would probably make a killing even in these times if he went into real estate! The house was a divorce settlement sale (yes, I was going to suggest I just move in with him and pay his wife off half of the value, but dh was standing next to me!) so it was a real bargain.

Of course, in TV, nothing can ever be done simply, so to make our decision we had to head to a stately home and walk around gardens, pose in front of decorative gateways and be seen to be pondering next to plinths. Watch out for the bit where I sit on the sofa for a chat with the presenter...I expected the sofa to be soft but it was actually hard as a board!

Never watch any reality TV show in the same way again! I'm sure we'll come over as miserable dullards. The reality is, that you're so bloody terrified of saying the wrong thing that you just forget how to smile! It's also very hard to have a 'natural reaction' when you're having to do it for the fifth time for the camera.

You'll all be pleased to know that for the first time last night - I actually slept!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:04 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Do you actually like being back ezzie or does it all feel strange?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezzie
Phew! Finished filming yesterday. A very nerve-wracking day as we had this big 'decision' to make. There was pressure to reconsider our direction through the day which left me feeling drained, vulnerable and stressed.

There is a real dilemma at the root of this too. There really is no work available that we've found so far. The agent DH saw yesterday confirmed this. The 'relocation expert's' advice was to move, DH to do contract work in a completely different location and just come home at weekends, which admittedly is a solution, if not a slightly mathamatical one and ignores the emotional aspects of creating a divided family and that we'd not get a mortgage with the breadwinner on contract work...and you can imagine how dodgy contract work would be at the moment.

So, it's been a surreal experience. However, the good thing was that after the two dreadful properties they showed us, we visited the one I found and we loved it. If we had a job I'd buy it right now. The agent didn't want to show anyone around so the owner stayed behind and did it. He was brilliant (and VERY handsome) and would probably make a killing even in these times if he went into real estate! The house was a divorce settlement sale (yes, I was going to suggest I just move in with him and pay his wife off half of the value, but dh was standing next to me!) so it was a real bargain.

Of course, in TV, nothing can ever be done simply, so to make our decision we had to head to a stately home and walk around gardens, pose in front of decorative gateways and be seen to be pondering next to plinths. Watch out for the bit where I sit on the sofa for a chat with the presenter...I expected the sofa to be soft but it was actually hard as a board!

Never watch any reality TV show in the same way again! I'm sure we'll come over as miserable dullards. The reality is, that you're so bloody terrified of saying the wrong thing that you just forget how to smile! It's also very hard to have a 'natural reaction' when you're having to do it for the fifth time for the camera.

You'll all be pleased to know that for the first time last night - I actually slept!
Hi Ezzie

What was your final decision?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Of course, in TV, nothing can ever be done simply, so to make our decision we had to head to a stately home and walk around gardens, pose in front of decorative gateways and be seen to be pondering next to plinths.
That gave me a good laugh!! Nice turn of words...

Have enjoyed reading about your experience, thanks for sharing it here on the forum! I expect from what you've written thus far, especially as regards the job situation, that your decision will have been to delay the permanent return home....

One thing I haven't been clear on about this particularTV programme: were they trying to lead you to a particular 'yes' or 'no' decision? Which way, if any, is the programme weighted??
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

Thanks
Its been great reading about your experiences. You deserve a medal just getting through it all. I always suspected that about reality shows, they have to have something "meaty" to make a show about dont they and will engineer it to look the way they need it to.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I shall look out for the programme but as I live in Canada it may be a while before we get it on BBC Canada.
Buggalugs
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after the nightmare of filming, we are now staying with friends at their farmhouse, again, just on the outskirts of Brum. Bliss. That's all I can say. Spent a lovely afternoon spotting robins, blue tits and reed warblers yesterday at the inlaws. DH & son went to the Villa match...tickets are now a ridiculous price - 20 quid is the cheapest ticket and most go for around 40-50!! I remember when all the lads would head off with their pocket money for a match on Saturday. Not only that, the matches are all played around 5.30pm now to fit in with the TV. Son also got told off for taking a photo in there!!!! Another bit of British traditional life gone.

But, we had a sprinkling of snow last night. Everyone is moaning about the cold, but it really isn't. Daughters spent the morning grooming a horse, son mucked out the stable, other daughter picked windfalls for either a tart or the house depending on the state of them. I got busy pulling out thistles...bliss! Muddy, but bliss!!!

DH has headed off to Scotland to look for work. Visited Stourbridge the other day. It used to be part of Worcester but has now been taken over by Dudley and ALL the shopkeepers are saying the new Councillor is single-handedly producing a dead town. It's a lovely place with a proud history of glass-making and this industrial tradition is being overlooked.

Went to the school to book the kids in. Couldn't fault the place on friendliness. Son being put in 6th form with flexibility options built in. VERY impressed with teachers, staff and the level of technology and facilities available. Kids (who want to stay in Oz) all said that so far, \uk education leaves what they get in Sydney for dead! We'll see what their first proper week of school brings next week and I'll let you all know.

Right....just enjoyed a lovely cuppa, might mosey on out to Bridgenorth now.

To those who have PM'd me...I'll reply soon.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

So you're staying in the UK then?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scout
So you're staying in the UK then?
Still early days...lots of things to consider. The main sticking point is work - everything hinges on jobs ...and there aren't any!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:03 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Not only that, the matches are all played around 5.30pm now to fit in with the TV.
generally speaking one of the saturday premiership matches is moved to a 5:30pm kickoff for TV purposes. The majority of matches still kick off at the traditional 3pm on a Saturday, plus a couple on sunday. An exception to this is weekends after midweek champions league/UEFA cup games, when the teams that have taken part in those will also have their games moved to the Sunday for an extra day's rest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...es/default.stm

Last edited by elfman; Nov 23rd 2008 at 7:07 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Everyone is quite ticked off about it when their team is playing away which means they won't be back home till late at night. Even with yesterday's match being local, dh and son weren't back till 9.30pm.

Originally Posted by elfman
generally speaking one of the saturday premiership matches is moved to a 5:30pm kickoff for TV purposes. The majority of matches still kick off at the traditional 3pm on a Saturday, plus a couple on sunday. An exception to this is weekends after midweek champions league/UEFA cup games, when the teams that have taken part in those will also have their games moved to the Sunday for an extra day's rest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...es/default.stm
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Driving out of the city was pretty depressing again. It makes you realise how the entire area between the inner and outer ringroads of the city have been taken over by Pakistani's. Not a white face in sight...in fact, not many faces at all as a huge proportion were covered by burkas! It was all pretty ramshackle and obvious where the area stopped as suddenly you'd be driving through neater streets again.
Are British people not allowed to have non-white faces?

Fascinating thread, btw. I was born in Birmingham, haven't lived there in over 30 years, and by chance will be working there for a couple of months next year. It's going to be a very interesting experience!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Its the not the news any more its the prediction of doom at 9 o'clock.
When I was in UK in May this year I was at my grandparents house when I caught a little bit of the news on TV.

There was no "Good evening" or anything like that. The first words they said were:
"The good times are OVER!"
This was followed by a series of screens showing how much unemployment was going to increase by, how much worse off everyone was going to be etc

Bloody miserable bastards!

I didn't take any notice though and neither should anyone else. Otherwise these things become self fulfilling prophecies because people start behaving as if things are bad, and that tends to make things actually become bad!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:43 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
When I was in UK in May this year I was at my grandparents house when I caught a little bit of the news on TV.

There was no "Good evening" or anything like that. The first words they said were:
This was followed by a series of screens showing how much unemployment was going to increase by, how much worse off everyone was going to be etc

I didn't take any notice though and neither should anyone else. Otherwise these things become self fulfilling prophecies because people start behaving as if things are bad, and that tends to make things actually become bad!
I agree. In contrast Glenn Stevens, Australian CEO of the reserve bank was on TV last week stating that we must not talk ourselves into a recession. The actual facts are that for the first time on record, this year Britain employs nearly 30 million people. That's almost 50% of the populatio so even if 3 million are unemployed, it still leaves approx 27 million employed.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by backagen

Just out of interest, which TV channel was that on? It's just I know I found the ITV news really "sensationalised" when I was back over in July. I never used to watch ITV much when I lived in the UK so I don't know whether they've always been like that though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.