Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:46 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
If it was done that openly, of course they would. And anyway, if you constantly had underage drinkers swarming your pub, how long would it be before the fighting and ugly drunken behaviour attracts the police attention and the landlord risks losing their licence.
There have always been underage drinkers. I was one of them being a very mature looking 16yr old, but overtly large groups of them in pubs on a regular basis just wouldnt wash for too long.
Maybe these kids look underage but arent is all i can say!
I am baffled about one thing. When i was young I didn't drink, go clubbing or smoke because I didn't have the money. How come you all did??? In truth, i was working and saving like crazy to pull myself up by the boots from my poverty stricken upbringing.
Just for the record, I never got pregnant, took drugs or got into trouble with the police. Neither did my kids. They went to a 'reality' schoool with a catchment area on the outskirts of Northampton, wonderful place by the way (not) of the roughest and the toughest as well as the nicest. My children grew up also without ending up in any trouble.

Now, where's my sword. Haven't a clue where that bloody Dogtanian has got to.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

you and me both!! Although I did kiss the hand of the kind Danish female doctor at the hospital the other week when she said she couldnt believe i had any granchildren let alone 6 as she thought i was only 35
Hell i nearly cried with joy
Us danes are just lovely Maybe I should go see her but then being Danish myself she would probably persume that I am the kids grandmother instead of their mother.....

Last edited by Millie11; Dec 7th 2008 at 2:52 am. Reason: forgot something.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:57 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:58 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millie11
Us danes are just lovely Maybe I should go see her but then being Danish myself she would probably persume that I am the kids grandmother instead of their mother.....
Awww i'm sure that wouldnt be true!

I am half Swedish. Scandinavians have good skin
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:15 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
I am baffled about one thing. When i was young I didn't drink, go clubbing or smoke because I didn't have the money. How come you all did??? In truth, i was working and saving like crazy to pull myself up by the boots from my poverty stricken upbringing.
Just for the record, I never got pregnant, took drugs or got into trouble with the police. Neither did my kids. They went to a 'reality' schoool with a catchment area on the outskirts of Northampton, wonderful place by the way (not) of the roughest and the toughest as well as the nicest. My children grew up also without ending up in any trouble.

I didn't either C, although I did manage to club in a few pence towards a bottle of cheap cider now and then, but after I'd thrown up (violently) and was turned away from the disco, I never tried it again and loathe cider to this day. I also didn't smoke, although I tried it, didn't get pregnant, but you have to have sex for that to happen () and never, ever took an illegal substance or smoked one either. I did however have a good time throughout my teens, even went on a few holidays abroad and bought a car by the time I was 18.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:20 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I would also like to know how these landlords/restaurant owners keep their licences too. Maybe being in a small village they all 'stick together' and don't want to rock the boat. I just find it very strange as my BIL runs a village pub and, as I said earlier, it's more than his licence/future/home is worth to risk serving under age drinkers, let alone on mass, so why on earth is something not being done about this?
Publicans and licencees will not risk their livelihood to serve alcohol to minors. In a rural situation, the risk is doubled by bored police officers who have nothing else to do but catch anyone flouting the laws. In towns and cities, the police are told to reduce incidences by creating a presence because quite frankly, they don't want the paperwork and there isn't room in the lock ups for offenders. The fines are so huge that no publican wants to be totally ruined. It's not the pubs that cause the problem. It's the availability of alcohol elsewhere such as clubs and off licenses.

As far as social problems go, what, you think we can all avoid them by choosing a nice place to live??? Do you know that thousands of good people like nurses, teachers, paramedics, health care workers, supermarket cashiers, bank tellers, social workers, psychiatric carers, orderlies, midwives, council workers, roadsweepers, the list goes on all have to live in sink estates because thats all they can afford. Do you know where their wages dictate they live? In those underclass areas that Ezzie is desperate to avoid because she thinks that they are full of cheating, lying benefit claiming mongrels who steal from the system to get their next fix rather than be good parents to their children?
I grew up in underclass Britain. My parents were poor and at times they had to resort to the dole. Have you any idea how it feels to be looked down upon as a child having to go to a middle class school but being beaten up every day because you were perceived as not good enough because your parents were regarded as the 'underclass' because they were claiming the dole?

Do you know how it feels for any child that is born into a hopeless situation because they can't help their parents but they have to take the blame for it anyway? Have you got any scrap of sensitivity towards the poor kids of modern day Britain who are creating the social problems but didn't actually cause them? They are just victims of society and bad parents?

Ezzie would make a brilliant politician. She could live in her ivory tower and she could run off and escape most problems as most politicians do preferring a weekend at Chequers or some equally far removed hideaway.

I am glad and sad every time I read about another child battering in the UK because if this doesnt smack us all in the face with 'hello, we all need to stop looking in the other direction, but that's Ok because we can just get on a plane and head off to Australia where the sun shines all day and it's far better than Britain, so that makes everything OK'.

Today, I am far beyond my early upbringing of sheer misery of my fathers drinking, breaking my mothers arms in a blind rage and me being the eldest, having to be mother to six brothers and sisters when both my parents were too stoned to care. That was my reality. I've never forgotten it but I have grown beyond it and succeeded in life because I refused to be written off by the likes of people like Ezzie who could spend a few weeks in a country presiding over how she percieves the differences of those who have and those who nothing for a reality TV programme.

I don't care if Ezzie want to make comparisons between the many faces of Britain or how they may conflict with or suit her ideals. What amazes me is how she seems to think they are exclusive to the UK and comes up with a term such as the 'underclass' and then uses the suggestion that 15 years olds are allowed to drink alcohol when it's anything but the truth.

This statement in itself is a direct contradiction to all those problem communities who do have problems but are trying to sort them out through community leaders, government programmes and every decent charity worker who sees the problem, acknowledges it, doesn't run away or condemn the whole community but gets stuck in and tries to fix it.
I am one of those people and I take exception to Ezzie using Britains social problems to measure her own success in life against those who never stood a chance anyway.

Oh and Northernbird, SHUT UP!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:34 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Publicans and licencees will not risk their livelihood to serve alcohol to minors. In a rural situation, the risk is doubled by bored police officers who have nothing else to do but catch anyone flouting the laws. In towns and cities, the police are told to reduce incidences by creating a presence because quite frankly, they don't want the paperwork and there isn't room in the lock ups for offenders. The fines are so huge that no publican wants to be totally ruined. It's not the pubs that cause the problem. It's the availability of alcohol elsewhere such as clubs and off licenses.

As far as social problems go, what, you think we can all avoid them by choosing a nice place to live??? Do you know that thousands of good people like nurses, teachers, paramedics, health care workers, supermarket cashiers, bank tellers, social workers, psychiatric carers, orderlies, midwives, council workers, roadsweepers, the list goes on all have to live in sink estates because thats all they can afford. Do you know where their wages dictate they live? In those underclass areas that Ezzie is desperate to avoid because she thinks that they are full of cheating, lying benefit claiming mongrels who steal from the system to get their next fix rather than be good parents to their children?
I grew up in underclass Britain. My parents were poor and at times they had to resort to the dole. Have you any idea how it feels to be looked down upon as a child having to go to a middle class school but being beaten up every day because you were perceived as not good enough because your parents were regarded as the 'underclass' because they were claiming the dole?

Do you know how it feels for any child that is born into a hopeless situation because they can't help their parents but they have to take the blame for it anyway? Have you got any scrap of sensitivity towards the poor kids of modern day Britain who are creating the social problems but didn't actually cause them? They are just victims of society and bad parents?

Ezzie would make a brilliant politician. She could live in her ivory tower and she could run off and escape most problems as most politicians do preferring a weekend at Chequers or some equally far removed hideaway.

I am glad and sad every time I read about another child battering in the UK because if this doesnt smack us all in the face with 'hello, we all need to stop looking in the other direction, but that's Ok because we can just get on a plane and head off to Australia where the sun shines all day and it's far better than Britain, so that makes everything OK'.

Today, I am far beyond my early upbringing of sheer misery of my fathers drinking, breaking my mothers arms in a blind rage and me being the eldest, having to be mother to six brothers and sisters when both my parents were too stoned to care. That was my reality. I've never forgotten it but I have grown beyond it and succeeded in life because I refused to be written off by the likes of people like Ezzie who could spend a few weeks in a country presiding over how she percieves the differences of those who have and those who nothing for a reality TV programme.

I don't care if Ezzie want to make comparisons between the many faces of Britain or how they may conflict with or suit her ideals. What amazes me is how she seems to think they are exclusive to the UK and comes up with a term such as the 'underclass' and then uses the suggestion that 15 years olds are allowed to drink alcohol when it's anything but the truth.

This statement in itself is a direct contradiction to all those problem communities who do have problems but are trying to sort them out through community leaders, government programmes and every decent charity worker who sees the problem, acknowledges it, doesn't run away or condemn the whole community but gets stuck in and tries to fix it.
I am one of those people and I take exception to Ezzie using Britains social problems to measure her own success in life against those who never stood a chance anyway.

Oh and Northernbird, SHUT UP!
You quoted me, so I wondered whether you were asking me these questions?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:51 am
Banned

You quoted me, so I wondered whether you were asking me these questions?

Sorry G, no problem with you at all.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

a bunch of people want to turn it into a childish school girl bitchfest. Ironically, by people who freely admit they are silent and rarely contribute anything to the forum whatsoever
Lets be honest here, if we were all one of the silent "pack" there would be very little to read on here.
um not sure how to take that

I am a silent one but was mearly showing support, certainly not inteding to cause trouble.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Where does she say it is unique to the UK. If she doesn't have exposure to that kind of thing in Australia to suddenly have exposure in the UK must be quite shocking. She isn't actually saying to doesn't happen in Australia just that she doesn't see it. There is a huge difference.

To quote a poster earlier in this thread, Ezzie is not saying that her experiences are unique to the UK. Nor is she saying that her experiences are unique to any part of the UK. She is merely recounting her own experiences. And that is what BE is here for.

I have already asked that the personal remarks be dropped, yet I am still seeing remarks which are personally hurtful to the OP.
CUT IT OUT.
BE does not tolerate bullying. We are here to support each other and if you don't feel you can do that for Ezzie, then quit posting on the thread.

I don't want to close this thread, but if the nasty comments continue then I will.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:26 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by bramblebush
um not sure how to take that

I am a silent one but was mearly showing support, certainly not inteding to cause trouble.
It was not directly aimed at you, but a general comment on the silliness of all this
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:27 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for an answer as to who is in this 'pack'.
"The Pack" are a group of people that come together on these forums to trash and tear down any opinion they don`t like or agree with. When this pack gets together, they usually tear into their victim just like a bunch of wild hyenas:curse: Luckily though "The Pack" here are reasonably civilised compared to some forums. "The Pack" usually has a couple of ringleaders that the weaker willed quickly follow for fear of being bullied and ostracized themselves, you could say the behaviour of "The Pack" is a fair reflection of what goes on in everyday life anyway. "The Pack" also relies on fear and intimidation, which surprisingly is actually quite easy to achieve on a public forum. The OP may well have a flawed argument but regardless of "The Pack" she still has the right to express her opinions and observations and I hope she continues and if "The Pack" don`t like it then they shouldn`t respond. Saying that though, if that were the case they would cease to exist and of course nobody wants to cease to exist. They also suffer from the childish notion as well, of always trying to have the last word in any debate/slanging match etc
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:29 am
I don't give a damn

Because i was adopted by my grandparents and my grandmother had a stroke when i was 14, which meant very little guidance or anyone to stop me doing just as i pleased.
I figured (stupidly) that if i was old enough to wash my own clothes, cook all the dinners and generally be a grown up, i was going to have some of the perks as well Stupid really, but thats how teenagers think
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:37 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hey it might be me LOL, but i'm not bothered it's all about free speech, we tend to forget that i suppose. I can take it on the chin, i've experienced worse, my MIL infact

I still enjoy reading these posts, we can all still argue and disagree, but what will be will be and i like that too
You may have to toss me for that 3rd place But i dont care either.......If Ezzie doesn't want people coming back at her...Then maybe she should learn to rephrase her words and not tie the whole of the UK with one brush....
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:40 am
Banned

My husband, who is a gem, has just reminded me that I can choose whether I want to play in a puddle or swim in an ocean.
I'm off to swim in an ocean.

Ta ra all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.