Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:58 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by sans
I think the " red rag to a bull" was implying that we are all underclass and our 15 yr olds are either piss heads / smokers or both....It would be rather like me saying that on Vancouver Island all the kids are drug addicts and brain dead..........Oh but then most of them are.
I agree with Sans. As to personal comments, Ezzie's perception of Britain is badly flawed especially as she han't lived there for 22 years. It's an absolute twist of the truth to suggest that 15 year olds would be served alcohol on licensed premises.
I enjoyed reading this thread to start with but then i began to see that it was mostly an exercise in Ezzie posting her warts and and all story but in such a way that it became derogatory towards some, for example the 'underclass' while she made herself out to be whiter than white hence her children can do no wrong.
Before I became self made, i came from the underclass background she describes so if being 'personal' means I am wrong for telling her to take her Marie Antoinette attitude back to the pristine suburbs of Sydney, hey I'm not apologising.

What i am going to do is not give Ezzie's flawed, embroidered and totally biased reports anymore of my time. I didn't become self made by tuning into such crap about my own country.

I'm surprised Pollyanna that you can take issue with just my post for being so staunchly loyal to Britain and justifiable offended at someone who paints a bleak picture of Britain while she makes herself out to be perfect.

I think this is mostly what this thread is about unfortunately. Don't bother giving me a bollicking for my vitriolic moments because I'm off to another much more upbeat and truthful GB forum, not some fantasy ride lived out by Ezzie.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this trip was originally to 'suss it out' but I can't deny how strongly we feel 'back home'. However, there's lots of other issues there which is what we're working through. Undeniably, we have been living in the countryside -I don't think I could stand moving back to an English city. That might say more about me though - I'm not a city girl at all. I actually like the rain, mud and cow poo.

The other big issue is how to find a location which will provide the kids with a good school and a group of friends who don't rely on booze and fags for entertainment...people can stick their heads in the sand about this, but it really is a huge problem in the UK. We thought we'd escape it in the countryside, but it actually seems to be worse there as there's not as much to do.

Anyone got any input on areas where it's not such a huge issue and why they think it's so? I'd love to know.

Our kids - well, I'd be worried if they were saying 'hey, we'd love to move to England!' as they have great schools, brilliant friends, a huge house and pool and like their life - plus it's the only one they've known. However, they do like many of the things that England has to offer and I had one daughter get quite pissed off with me today, not for wanting to move to England but for not doing it earlier so she wouldn't have met her lovely high school friends and have to go through missing them.

Right...the dog is going bonkers, looks like she could be (finally) about to give birth (she's a brood dog for Guide Dogs for the Blind - so her pups will be future guide dogs).

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I may be reading your posts wrong, but it has sounded to me that only you really want to move back to England

I haven't really read where the kids especially have wanted to...........correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
The other big issue is how to find a location which will provide the kids with a good school and a group of friends who don't rely on booze and fags for entertainment...people can stick their heads in the sand about this, but it really is a huge problem in the UK. We thought we'd escape it in the countryside, but it actually seems to be worse there as there's not as much to do.
It is no more a problem in the UK than it is in Australia....and you know it.

As for country towns.....Australian small towns are well known for the amount of drug abuse amongst teenagers.

Stop this silly point scoring that seems, now, to be the purpose of this thread.

G
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:13 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh, it seems we have another "pack" arrived in here. The silent pack

do ya wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang,
do ya wanna be in my gang
oh yeeeeahhhhhh

So who is a shark and who is a jet?... westide story? no.... BE bulldust.

So now, thanx to the previous input above, Ezzies prediction of pulling the thread down will probably be realised... not because her statements were suitably challenged in the name of healthy debate, not because people want to voice their disagreement with things she said, which they are perfectly entiteld to do, but purely because a bunch of people want to turn it into a childish school girl bitchfest. Ironically, by people who freely admit they are silent and rarely contribute anything to the forum whatsoever
Lets be honest here, if we were all one of the silent "pack" there would be very little to read on here.

The fact is, if you are prepared to go onto a forum and make controversial statements, you must expect to be challenged. If you cannot cope with that, get easily offended, throw your toys out of the pram and storm off, then best not do it for everyones sake.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Ooooh, it seems we have another "pack" arrived in here. The silent pack

do ya wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang,
do ya wanna be in my gang
oh yeeeeahhhhhh

So who is a shark and who is a jet?... westide story? no.... BE bulldust.

So now, thanx to the previous input above, Ezzies prediction of pulling the thread down will probably be realised... not because her statements were suitably challenged in the name of healthy debate, not because people want to voice their disagreement with things she said, which they are perfectly entiteld to do, but purely because a bunch of people want to turn it into a childish school girl bitchfest. Ironically, by people who freely admit they are silent and rarely contribute anything to the forum whatsoever
Lets be honest here, if we were all one of the silent "pack" there would be very little to read on here.

The fact is, if you are prepared to go onto a forum and make controversial statements, you must expect to be challenged. If you cannot cope with that, get easily offended, throw your toys out of the pram and storm off, then best not do it for everyones sake.
I am one of the "silent pack". I sometimes read this forum out of interest but don't feel I have much to offer as I have no intention of returning to the UK. I have returned specifically to read ezzie's story as I have found it interesting an thought provoking. I lived in the Midlands for all of my life (a long time) and agree completely with many of her less positive comments.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is no need to deliberately trash a thread.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
II lived in the Midlands for all of my life (a long time) and agree completely with many of her less positive comments.
So did I and I completely disagree.

The 'problems' have been totally exaggerated and are no different to in Sydney.....or Vancouver for that matter.

G
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:39 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I am one of the "silent pack". I sometimes read this forum out of interest but don't feel I have much to offer as I have no intention of returning to the UK. I have returned specifically to read ezzie's story as I have found it interesting an thought provoking. I lived in the Midlands for all of my life (a long time) and agree completely with many of her less positive comments.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is no need to deliberately trash a thread.
I totally agree, but I was not trashing the thread. It was thought provoking i agree, and i made positive comments earlier in the thread.
My issue came from the subsequent posts she made and i challenged them. I did not do it in a trashing manner
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:01 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a Thread its ,its an episode of "CORONATION STREET" with all the usual suspects, and yes, you know who you are , "Ena"............but it makes better reading than the Sunday mail.......mm
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:04 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
I agree with Sans. As to personal comments, Ezzie's perception of Britain is badly flawed especially as she han't lived there for 22 years. It's an absolute twist of the truth to suggest that 15 year olds would be served alcohol on licensed premises.
I enjoyed reading this thread to start with but then i began to see that it was mostly an exercise in Ezzie posting her warts and and all story but in such a way that it became derogatory towards some, for example the 'underclass' while she made herself out to be whiter than white hence her children can do no wrong.
Before I became self made, i came from the underclass background she describes so if being 'personal' means I am wrong for telling her to take her Marie Antoinette attitude back to the pristine suburbs of Sydney, hey I'm not apologising.

What i am going to do is not give Ezzie's flawed, embroidered and totally biased reports anymore of my time. I didn't become self made by tuning into such crap about my own country.

I'm surprised Pollyanna that you can take issue with just my post for being so staunchly loyal to Britain and justifiable offended at someone who paints a bleak picture of Britain while she makes herself out to be perfect.

I think this is mostly what this thread is about unfortunately. Don't bother giving me a bollicking for my vitriolic moments because I'm off to another much more upbeat and truthful GB forum, not some fantasy ride lived out by Ezzie.
I think when you have been away for as long as Ezzie has then her perceptions are going to be different to yours. I also came from a council house background. I was drinking bottles of strongbow round the back of the school when I was 15, no different to the yoof of today. However I think in certain pockets of the UK (and its no different anywhere else) the 'underclass' is different today. I don't care if anyone agrees or not, after my 4 years in Canada when I came back I felt the UK was a different one to the one I left 4 years previously. I can't put my finger on it but it felt different. In our village we had 2 pubs and everyone knew that the kids went and got plastered in one. The landlord knew the kids were only 16 and 17 and sometimes younger but did nothing to stop it, without them his profits would be zero as all the adults of the village went to the other pub.

Just because you haven't experienced what Ezzie has whether you believe it to be exaggerated or not doesn't make her experiences any less important than yours. I don't have the same perceptions about Australia as you do but I don't go around accusing you of telling porkies. Give the poor woman a break.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
So did I and I completely disagree.

The 'problems' have been totally exaggerated and are no different to in Sydney.....or Vancouver for that matter.

G
The 'problems' were a part (albeit a small part) of our motivation for emigrating. As far as I am concerned our quality of life is far superior to when we lived in England. We now live in rural area - not a large city.

These days there are problems everywhere - it just depends on the scale of the problems in a particular area/country and how much each individual is prepared to tolerate.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:24 pm
I don't give a damn

The 'problems' were a part (albeit a small part) of our motivation for emigrating. As far as I am concerned our quality of life is far superior to when we lived in England. We now live in rural area - not a large city.

These days there are problems everywhere - it just depends on the scale of the problems in a particular area/country and how much each individual is prepared to tolerate.
That is correct. But you say you left a city (Birmingham) and moved to a rural area. I would argue that the same contentment could be found moving to a rural area, or just any area of the UK that may suit a person better. It is just a case of finding what suits you. But saying that, if being where you are now ticks your boxes thats fine too.
I come from London and lived very hectic lifestyle back then. I have been blown away by the lovely village community my daughter has moved to.
I am pretty certain Ezzie would love it too, but i doubt she will ever listen to anything i have to say.

I feel theperception of Britain as being worse than Australia is due to the fact that people live in much closer proximity to each other due to less space. All of the bad things that happen there happen here in Aus, but communities are often more spread out so it probably seems less in your face, but come to inner Sydney and it is no different from London.
At the end of the day, we need to choose to live where we feel happiest.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I feel theperception of Britain as being worse than Australia is due to the fact that people live in much closer proximity to each other due to less space. All of the bad things that happen there happen here in Aus, but communities are often more spread out so it probably seems less in your face, but come to inner Sydney and it is no different from London.
I would totally agree with that. I think it's definitely one of the key differences in perception about violence, drugs etc in the two countries. If you go to lower socio-economic neighbourhoods (like some of OH's family live in here in Bris) you see these things are just as prevalent (although obviously these social malaises are not confined solely to lower socio-economic groups just often they are more conspicuous).
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by rabsody
I would totally agree with that. I think it's definitely one of the key differences in perception about violence, drugs etc in the two countries. If you go to lower socio-economic neighbourhoods (like some of OH's family live in here in Bris) you see these things are just as prevalent (although obviously these social malaises are not confined solely to lower socio-economic groups just often they are more conspicuous).
Yep.

Bramblebush just posted an interesting post on the good news thread stating that she saw a doco about UK teenagers. People were asked how much of UK crime they thought teenagers were responsible for. People were quoting 60, 70, 80%
That actual official figures turned out to be 12%!!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I moved back to the UK six months ago after being away for nine years. The last four were spent in Perth, WA.

I have to say, most things in ezzie's posts ring very true with me (apart from the height thing - I got the impression that Aussies were relatively short, and I recall seeing lots of people with short legs relative to body length in Perth. As a perfect physical specimen I feel qualified to comment on this)

The social issues are a major concern (and rightly so) for people thinking of moving back with children, especially if they have been away from the UK for a long time or the children have never been to school here.

If you are moving children back, it tends to focus your attention a lot more on schools, youth culture, celebrity worship, etc. I suspect that some of the people criticizing ezzie's posts do not have children at an age that makes this a major concern. They are lucky.

Sure, these problems exist everywhere, but they seem to me to be more prevalent here and much harder to avoid than I'd hoped.

In my opinion, some of the attacks on ezzie (from one person in particular) have been almost as deluded as stuff you see in the barbie every now and again.

England is a great place to be in so many ways, but it is far from perfect. And if you have children that are used to a warmer, friendlier place it can be a very hard place to be, in my opinion. And belive me, I wish it wasn't like that. But it is.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I moved back to the UK six months ago after being away for nine years. The last four were spent in Perth, WA.

I have to say, most things in ezzie's posts ring very true with me (apart from the height thing - I got the impression that Aussies were relatively short, and I recall seeing lots of people with short legs relative to body length in Perth. As a perfect physical specimen I feel qualified to comment on this)

The social issues are a major concern (and rightly so) for people thinking of moving back with children, especially if they have been away from the UK for a long time or the children have never been to school here.

If you are moving children back, it tends to focus your attention a lot more on schools, youth culture, celebrity worship, etc. I suspect that some of the people criticizing ezzie's posts do not have children at an age that makes this a major concern. They are lucky.

Sure, these problems exist everywhere, but they seem to me to be more prevalent here and much harder to avoid than I'd hoped.

In my opinion, some of the attacks on ezzie (from one person in particular) have been almost as deluded as stuff you see in the barbie every now and again.

England is a great place to be in so many ways, but it is far from perfect. And if you have children that are used to a warmer, friendlier place it can be a very hard place to be, in my opinion. And belive me, I wish it wasn't like that. But it is.
Very well put Exile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.